• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. I don't think it beats Endgame. I think it will do very well at the BO, though. Will be an easy $1 billion, maybe $1.5 billion.

Yeah, i don't doubt that, since it's the end of the Skywalker saga. I don't think Disney's irrevocably harmed the Star Wars name, but I think they're making the right move to slow down after this.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
is this san diego comic con or the biggest movie event of all time? I've never seen anything like this for a movie where people are sitting in waiting rooms trying to get tickets.

ticket ordering websites are crashing around the world. they weren't ready for the hype. I had a feeling EVERYONE was going to want tickets for opening weekend, like more than anyone could possibly imagine.

apparently 3x more than infinity war. the movie with the biggest opening weekend of all time. like FUCK

Man I can't believe we're about to watch the Avengers face down Thanos and try to bring back everyone else. It's unreal, and I honestly thought we would never experience something like this.

And I'm an avenger baby!

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread will be the only internet place I visit starting from the premiere till I've seen the movie. Shit finna get ugly.

As someone who doesn't have much experience with Dolby theaters, what do y'all prefer between it and IMAX? I live just down the highway from a genuine IMAX theater, but it still uses old seats, which are comfortable enough, but not the recliners you get with Dolby shows.

I pretty much hit all bases opening weekend; IMAX 2D, then IMAX 3D (couldn't be helped if I wanna go twice opening night), Dolby on Saturday, and I've got my eye on an RPX on Sunday with a few friends.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Just rewatched Thor. Holds up well in my opinion, and reflecting back on it 8 years later is really interesting, knowing where the Thor franchise ends up with Ragnarok.

Lots of great stuff in here: For one, an awesome soundtrack. To this day some of the best cinematography in the MCU. It's just a gorgeous looking film.

At times, Thor really feels like a movie stuck between the old era of comic book movies and the new. The Jane romantic subplot feels like an absolute relic of early/mid 2000s comic book movies where you HAD to have a love interest for the hero. As time's gone on blockbusters in general have clearly moved away from that stuff, so it definitely felt weird going back and seeing so many of those scenes between Hemsworth and Portman.

Thor was really the MCU dipping its toes into the cosmic side of things for the first time, so I understand having the physicists there at all times to kinda act like that surrogate for the audience. But it's clear at this point that that role is really no longer needed, and someone like Hemsworth or Larson or any of the Guardians can play these crazy cosmic characters and get by with their charisma alone, no surrogate characters required.

The best stuff by far is the interaction between Thor, Loki and Odin. Hiddleston and Anthony Hopkins just go full Shakespeare and act their asses off. It's really great. Meanwhile, Hemsworth definitely comes off as a bit green still, but it was clear from the start that his charisma was off the charts. I still laugh my ass off at I NEED A HORSE, and it's all his delivery. He's only gotten better over the years, and amazingly enough, the Ragnarok rendition of the character really feels like the logical evolution of the Thor we met in this very first movie.

Overall I was surprised how much I enjoyed coming back to this one. Cap 1 is next!

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Just rewatched Thor. Holds up well in my opinion, and reflecting back on it 8 years later is really interesting, knowing where the Thor franchise ends up with Ragnarok.

Lots of great stuff in here: For one, an awesome soundtrack. To this day some of the best cinematography in the MCU. It's just a gorgeous looking film.

At times, Thor really feels like a movie stuck between the old era of comic book movies and the new. The Jane romantic subplot feels like an absolute relic of early/mid 2000s comic book movies where you HAD to have a love interest for the hero. As time's gone on blockbusters in general have clearly moved away from that stuff, so it definitely felt weird going back and seeing so many of those scenes between Hemsworth and Portman.

Thor was really the MCU dipping its toes into the cosmic side of things for the first time, so I understand having the physicists there at all times to kinda act like that surrogate for the audience. But it's clear at this point that that role is really no longer needed, and someone like Hemsworth or Larson or any of the Guardians can play these crazy cosmic characters and get by with their charisma alone, no surrogate characters required.

The best stuff by far is the interaction between Thor, Loki and Odin. Hiddleston and Anthony Hopkins just go full Shakespeare and act their asses off. It's really great. Meanwhile, Hemsworth definitely comes off as a bit green still, but it was clear from the start that his charisma was off the charts. I still laugh my ass off at I NEED A HORSE, and it's all his delivery. He's only gotten better over the years, and amazingly enough, the Ragnarok rendition of the character really feels like the logical evolution of the Thor we met in this very first movie.

Overall I was surprised how much I enjoyed coming back to this one. Cap 1 is next!

Having done my big pre-Infinity War franchise rewatch last year, Thor is definitely the second most underrated film in the franchise, after IM3.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
My girlfriend showed why she is going to be my wife this morning.

Me: Did you see that Endgame broke the record for most tickets sold in the first 24 hours?
Her: Really? That's crazy!
Me: Guess how long it took?
Her: How long?
Me: 6 hours!
Her: WHAT!? I'm so hyped that we got our tickets! We have to do re-watch of all of the movies!
Me:
Manly-Cry.gif

... I would like that very much.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
This thread will be the only internet place I visit starting from the premiere till I've seen the movie. Shit finna get ugly.

As someone who doesn't have much experience with Dolby theaters, what do y'all prefer between it and IMAX? I live just down the highway from a genuine IMAX theater, but it still uses old seats, which are comfortable enough, but not the recliners you get with Dolby shows.

I pretty much hit all bases opening weekend; IMAX 2D, then IMAX 3D (couldn't be helped if I wanna go twice opening night), Dolby on Saturday, and I've got my eye on an RPX on Sunday with a few friends.
Dolby > IMAX

IMAX screens are too large and generally not worth the surcharge given that so few films are made with IMAX cameras and most IMAX screens are not legit.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Me: Did you see that Endgame broke the record for most tickets sold in the first 24 hours?
Her: WHAT!? I'm so hyped that we got our tickets! We have to do re-watch of all of the movies!
Me:
Manly-Cry.gif

You better not screw this up. You two sound adorable as hell.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Me:
Manly-Cry.gif

Heh, at first I thought that top part said that your girlfriend was going to be WITH your wife.

That's awesome though.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
You better not screw this up. You two sound adorable as hell.
Haha, I already knew it but she's definitely the one. We agreed to make a list of which movies to watch tonight (I have posted my list here) and she even suggested to skip Antman and the Wasp without knowing that I choose to skip it in my list.

Heh, at first I thought that top part said that your girlfriend was going to be WITH your wife.

That's awesome though.

That would have thready-worthy if that were the case lol

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Haha, I already knew it but she's definitely the one. We agreed to make a list of which movies to watch tonight (I have posted my list here) and she even suggested to skip Antman and the Wasp without knowing that I choose to skip it in my list.
But it's kinda necessary for Endgame.

In general, I agree but weren't IW and Endgame filmed entirely with IMAX cameras?
Correct, & speaking of IMAX vs. Dolby...

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
But it's kinda necessary for Endgame.

Correct, & speaking of IMAX vs. Dolby...

Like I've said here, while it is necessary in order to get a full understanding of the Quantum Realm tech, I expect there to be a quick recap in Endgame explaining how it works. Not to mention, we both find it boring and not a very good movie.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I might have missed this, but there's apparently images of a Funko for Far From Home of MJ wielding a fucking mace.
hwppWPO.jpg

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Like I've said here, while it is necessary in order to get a full understanding of the Quantum Realm tech, I expect there to be a quick recap in Endgame explaining how it works. Not to mention, we both find it boring and not a very good movie.

They're pretty much packing as much as they can into the three hour runtime without recapping a movie anyone can go and watch on Netflix right now.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
They're pretty much packing as much as they can into the three hour runtime without recapping a movie anyone can go and watch on Netflix right now.
I get that but Scott is going to have to explain what/where has happened to him since they last saw hi. Whatever that explanation is will be good enough for me just so long as I don't have to waste 2 and half hours of my life again.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
I get that but Scott is going to have to explain what/where has happened to him since they last saw hi. Whatever that explanation is will be good enough for me just so long as I don't have to waste 2 and half hours of my life again.
Yup. The rest of the characters in Endgame don't know what the hell Pym's quantum tech is, so there'll be sufficient exposition.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. They can easily spend a few seconds explaining time vortexes in the quantum realm. Absolutely no reason to watch Ant-Man and the Wasp before Endgame.

I also just finished my rewatch of Guardians of the Galaxy 1. This gotta be my favorite MCU film by far. It got so many different and interesting ingredients that blends together so seamlessly.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Seems Disney been showing 5 minutes of Endgame at Cinemacon. It's the same footage from Disney's meeting back in March. But Slashfilm seem to have more detailed descriptions of the scene.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I got 6 tickets for the first showing of Endgame in Sweden on April 24th, absolutely stoked. I'll be off work to see it. Have seen every Marvel movie since Strange day one on cinema, but nothing has been this special!

Status
Not open for further replies.