• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Just started getting the Spirit ad on Android today. It can even make the input box unusable.

AngryPuppy

Oct 27, 2017
Getting hit with constant redirects to httptrk4.kokamedia.com and numerous blocked pop ups (Chrome on Android).

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Keep getting hit with this pop-up Quinnipiac University women's basketball pop-up on Safari mobile:
img_09550rkrp.png

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
New pop-up advert happening every day. I'm with Virgin Media.

"Congratulations Virgin Media customer, you have won a prize..."

It's actually a white pop-up sheet on top of ResetEra, that you can only press 'Close' on. It then opens up a new tab with a questionnaire.

iOS 12.1.4, Safari, iPhone.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Chrome on Android has been constantly shifting text up 5 lines then down 5 lines every 10-15 seconds for the past week because of new ads being constantly pushed.

Is there any way to stabilize the page when a new ad is loaded ? It is incredibly annoying.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Getting those half screen sized ads on the bottom.

I don't know if that's the reason why sometimes I'll be reading a thread and then it dumps be halfway up the page again. Doesn't happen all the time but it's noticeable.

Android, mobile chrome.

Edit - oh nm, they're like 75-80% of the screen.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Aaaaaand I'm back! Strange how I can browse the web all day and only get these cancerous ads on here. It's ok, I didn't want to post in that thread anyway.
EPNfDfh.jpg

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
On my Android running Chrome, every single page load does this:

Page loads in.
1 second later, page shifts down 5-7 lines.
1 second after the page shifts up 5-7 lines.

It is absolutely maddening.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Android, Chrome, getting these Facebook ads that will minimize my keyboard while I'm in the middle of typing a post, which makes me click on the ad, then the post is gone when I hit back. Not good.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
As stated in the other thread, yesterday while browsing Era, around 10 PM (Italy) I got an ad from Countdown Games which activated a subscription for 5€ each week. I luckily managed to get a refund and the sub deactivated from contacting my provider, I was using mobile data and not the wifi internet connection.

People in the other thread were asking how was possible to get money stolen that way, but you don't need a CC attached to your account, they got money directly from the credit I had left on my phone (here in Italy you can just refill your credit from some stores and the provider will get the amount of money each month).

Apparently the mod who edited my post in the thread I opened never heard of this, so I drop a link so you can understand what those links do (I dunno if they work the same way in USA or other countries).

https://cambiapasso.it/2017/04/abbonamenti-non-richiesti-rimborso/

Getting your money literally stolen is very shitty, so please remove those kind of ads as soon as possible. I was using Chrome on Android when I got this.

Last edited:

TangorFopper

Feb 2, 2018
Italy
As stated in the other thread, yesterday while browsing Era, around 10 PM (Italy) I got an ad from Countdown Games which activated a subscription for 5€ each week. I luckily managed to get a refund and the sub deactivated from contacting my provider, I was using mobile data and not the wifi internet connection.

People in the other thread were asking how was possible to get money stolen that way, but you don't need a CC attached to your account, they got money directly from the credit I had left on my phone (here in Italy you can just refill your credit from some stores and the provider will get the amount of money each month).

Apparently the mod who edited my post in the thread I opened never heard of this, so I drop a link so you can understand what those links do (I dunno if they work the same way in USA or other countries).

Getting your money literally stolen is very shitty, so please remove those kind of ads as soon as possible. I was using Chrome on Android when I got this.

I can confirm that, I'm also in Italy, my carrier is TIM (Telecom Italia).
I'm using Chrome (73.0.3683.90) on an Android Phone (Android 7.0; HUAWEI VNS-L31) and I've not messed with it (just in case ;) ).
As for the "financial part": I have money directly on my SIM so they took it from there without the need of going throug any credit card. Luckily I was able to get an immediate refund.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm also in Italy and I can confirm this can indeed happen. Unlike what people thought in the other thread, this has nothing to do with CC theft or anything: it's one of those paid mobile subscription things that were the rage some 10-15 years ago where you'd get ringtones, Java games and whatnot for a weekly fee. It's an outdated technology and it's not very popular to sell stuff like this, but providers (not necessarily all that I know of, but Vodafone by default surely) still allow third parties to let you subscribe to this kind of stuff. So plenty of malicious ads exist that abuse of this: it loads a page, it pretends you wanted to subscribe (it can probably "steal" your phone number without much effort), and immediately subs you to some shady shit and takes away the first weekly/monthly sum, in this case 5 Euros.

The exact same thing happened to me some time ago, not on Era but while browsing an innocous news website (Ansa.it if I remember correctly). Coincidentally (maybe not so much), it was likewise Chrome on Android. What I did was call Vodafone immediately, who were aware of these scams: they refunded my 5 Euros which were deposited back onto my card right away, and they also manually deactivated the possibility of me subscribing to such fee-based subscriptions. It's kinda baffling that (some?) providers leave this option on by default: you don't have to confirm anything, you can find yourself subbed to 10 different things in 5 seconds if you're unlucky without being able to do shit about it initially. You can get your money back but it's still weird they still allow this stuff to happen in 2019.

As for Era's involvement in all this, it's probably more a Google or an AdSense thing. GAF used to have frequent redirects like these, some more malicious than others, which made me more wary of accessing the website from my phone. In my experience, it's more rare on Era, but it still happens from time to time. I didn't have any subscriptions on it because the fee option was already disabled on my card, but I'd bet that some of the redirects I got were indeed the kind that could have took my money had this option still been available. I am unsure what Era can do about this exactly: try to push out site redirects, that's something they can probably try. But once a redirect happens, it's probably out of Era's hands: if this site is malicious and has this 5 Euros fee bullshit, you're outta luck.

Again, it baffles me providers still allow these things to happen and that there's no laws in place for it. At the very least they should impose an SMS check where you have to write a code back or something to confirm you're indeed intentionally trying to subscribe to something. But honestly, in 2019, they could just ban this shit altogether. Who the hell subs to third parties like these through phone credit anymore?

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I'm also in Italy and I can confirm this can indeed happen. Unlike what people thought in the other thread, this has nothing to do with CC theft or anything: it's one of those paid mobile subscription things that were the rage some 10-15 years ago where you'd get ringtones, Java games and whatnot for a weekly fee. It's an outdated technology and it's not very popular to sell stuff like this, but providers (not necessarily all that I know of, but Vodafone by default surely) still allow third parties to let you subscribe to this kind of stuff. So plenty of malicious ads exist that abuse of this: it loads a page, it pretends you wanted to subscribe (it can probably "steal" your phone number without much effort), and immediately subs you to some shady shit and takes away the first weekly/monthly sum, in this case 5 Euros.

The exact same thing happened to me some time ago, not on Era but while browsing an innocous news website (Ansa.it if I remember correctly). Coincidentally (maybe not so much), it was likewise Chrome on Android. What I did was call Vodafone immediately, who were aware of these scams: they refunded my 5 Euros which were deposited back onto my card right away, and they also manually deactivated the possibility of me subscribing to such fee-based subscriptions. It's kinda baffling that (some?) providers leave this option on by default: you don't have to confirm anything, you can find yourself subbed to 10 different things in 5 seconds if you're unlucky without being able to do shit about it initially. You can get your money back but it's still weird they still allow this stuff to happen in 2019.

As for Era's involvement in all this, it's probably more a Google or an AdSense thing. GAF used to have frequent redirects like these, some more malicious than others, which made me more wary of accessing the website from my phone. In my experience, it's more rare on Era, but it still happens from time to time. I didn't have any subscriptions on it because the fee option was already disabled on my card, but I'd bet that some of the redirects I got were indeed the kind that could have took my money had this option still been available. I am unsure what Era can do about this exactly: try to push out site redirects, that's something they can probably try. But once a redirect happens, it's probably out of Era's hands: if this site is malicious and has this 5 Euros fee bullshit, you're outta luck.

Again, it baffles me providers still allow these things to happen and that there's no laws in place for it. At the very least they should impose an SMS check where you have to write a code back or something to confirm you're indeed intentionally trying to subscribe to something. But honestly, in 2019, they could just ban this shit altogether. Who the hell subs to third parties like these through phone credit anymore?
I'm using 3 and I needed to phone them because the protection against those services wasn't enabled by default. But Resetera should get rid of those kind of ads as soon as possible.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
There's a fortnite ad on mobile at the bottom of the page that randomly closes your keyboard so you click on the ad. Started today.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I've been getting several pop-up ads today. I keep forgetting to take note which ad is causing it, but it'll likely happen again so I'll update when it does.

Edit: Seems to be Cox

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Some of the enlarged ads will keep closing the on screen keyboard on mobile. I get that it wants us to look at the ads, but it's incessantly doing this every 15 seconds. Basically the message is: don't reply on mobile.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Suddenly getting a pop up that takes over Android chrome and opens another ad taking me away from the forum, so I can't even see what ad caused it. Happening all over repeatedly.

The initial popup is for some car brand sweepstakes "Your the Chosen One" or some BS like that.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Getting redirected on chrome Android, not sure which started it but I have a loop of:

samsung-awards.co.uk
samsung-awards.uk
iphone-rewards.xyz
mediamarket-giveaways.life
mediamarket-giftcard.club

I got redirected twice just trying to make this post.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Getting redirected on chrome Android, not sure which started it but I have a loop of:

samsung-awards.co.uk
samsung-awards.uk
iphone-rewards.xyz

I've gotten aids redirects 4 times trying to bitch about the redirects. The site is unusable for me right now on Android

470nm

Oct 25, 2017

samsung-awards.co.uk
samsung-awards.uk
iphone-rewards.xyz

Go this on Android as well, at around 6pm EDT.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Getting hit hard with the mediamarket ones here too. Will get redirected randomly, even when just scrolling down a thread. Site is essentially unusable on mobile.
Chrome on Android.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting hit with constant redirects on Chrome Android. They're making it impossible to even post about the problem.

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Getting the redirect ads once again on mobile that are mentioned above, the site is basically unusable again on mobile. Making the decision very easy to use adblockers again.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Also getting redirect scam ads that were very aggressive.