• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
T8JCKoe.png

Releases on Steam, Playstation, Switch, and Xbox One on: 4/3/2018
EU and Australia: 4/12/2018

Price: 14.99

· Genre: Adventure / Platformer

· Publisher: Armor Games Studios

· Developer: Massive Monster

· Fantastic art creation by: Julian Wilton

· Coded by the ever stunning: Jay Armstrong
A Story of Love, Giraffes & Hotdogs

Your birthday is ruined when your dad is dad-napped by a madman! Now you, your pet rock, and Sparkles the giraffe will have to fight your way through levels filled with platforming, bizarre enemies, and big bosses in the name of friendship and hotdogs to save the world!

The game is heavily inspired by modern Cartoons such as Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, and More. It takes it game inspirations from Games like Castle Crashers, Zelda 2, and Banjo Kazooie. All this inspiration shines throughout the game from art, to gameplay, to story and everything else in between.

The game can be played in single player or co-op. So bring your best bud along and go on an adventure you're sure to remember. And if you're lacking in the friend department then there's still nothing to worry about you have your trusty Pet Rock and Giraffe to keep you company, so you don't feel like the lonely loser you ARE!

Story:

The game begins as a simple rescue story; Mr. B kidnaps your father in front of you and immediately the clock begins ticking. You must get him back before your Papa is turned into a tasty meat-based snack (garnished with a splattering of mustard and a side of pickles) in Mr. B's burgeoning fast food empire.

However, things are not as simple as they first seem and before you know it your journey takes you face to face with zombie pirates, giant evil trees, bosses made of breakfast foods, your very own evil clone and of course, post-apocalyptic dinosaurs! It will be a huge adventure, but with your friends by your side you can take on anything… can't you?

Screenshots:

Trailers:

Some Boss Quotes:

Here's what some people are saying that got their hands on the game to play!
TheGuardian said:
"… absurdist humour with a really fun gameplay experience."
Indiegames.com said:
"…they've brought an even sharper-looking funnier world than before."
Pcmag.com said:
"… it's the child-like emotions that it stirred in us while playing that helped it hit our Top 10."
taco543 said:
"… Yup it's a game, it has giraffe, and bacon and things! I like the colors! Don't quote anything I'm saying."

Q and A:

Q: What do I do?
A: You save your papa from the evil Mr. B and have a blast and make some friends along the way.

Q: How much does this cost?
A: $14.99 USD I don't know how much anywhere else sorry…

Q: What switch features does this have?
A: You can play in tablet mode or in TV mode, and even pass off the joycon to a buddy and have them join the fun out of pity to you, because they feel terrible watching you sit there in Dennys playing this game by yourself with the audio on full blast!

Q: Since this is inspired by those cartoons and games, is this kid friendly?
A: Absolutely! Bring your mini clone to play with you!

Q: I can play this on the go and at home, I love Castle Crashers, and bacon, and giraffes, and cats.
A: That's not a question! BUT YES!

Reviews:

GameSpace - 9.5/10
https://www.gamespace.com/featured/adventure-pals-review/
William Murphy said:
Adventure Pals is a great platformer for all ages. From the great, wacky story and visuals to the tight controls and smart progression systems, It has something for the whole family. Make no mistakes this is a family game that really is fun to play together. With it coming to all platforms April 3 there really is little reason not to pick up this side scrolling, platforming gem.

NintendoWorldReport - 8.5/10 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/46890/the-adventure-pals-switch-review
Neal Ronaghan said:
Regardless of the overall simplicity or the uncomplicated design, The Adventure Pals is a really charming platformer that is a joy to play whether by yourself or with a friend in co-op. It's a lighthearted, jokey journey filled with a plethora of fun ideas that is eminently enjoyable, especially with a younger gamer.

IGN Spain - 7.8/10 http://es.ign.com/the-adventure-pals-ps4/131301/review/the-adventure-pals-analisis-multiplataforma
Jose A. Rodriguez said:
Hilarious, colorful and full of challenges, The Adventure Pals is a game full of challenges and lovely characters with several RPG mechanics for all players. A good platforming experience.

Cogconnected - 75/100 http://cogconnected.com/review/the-adventure-pals-review/
Scott Sullivan said:
Overall, there's plenty to like about The Adventure Pals. It's clearly got a lot of polish, and at no points did I have issues with the gameplay. Levels are surprisingly well crafted, and collectibles are well hidden. The bosses are creative, showing some serious visual appeal. There's nothing but positive things with so many aspects of this game, but the lack of a true co-operative experience left something to be desired.

God is a Geek - 7.5/10 http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/the-adventure-pals-review/
Nick Gillham said:
Running and jumping from left to right is difficult to judge, but while wearing the colours of another The Adventure Pals delivers on its central concept in a way it's inspiration never could.

VideoChums - 7.1/10 https://videochums.com/review/the-adventure-pals
A.J. from VC said:
The Adventure Pals is a huge 2D platformer with a fantastic sense of humour. However, the lack of challenge will make genre veterans wish that they could put their skills to the test instead of just going through the motions.

Last edited:

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I was looking forward to play it today. oh well. i can wait a week

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the trailer for this, it looks fun!

Do we know if the Switch port is all good? No tech issues or bugs?

OP
OP
taco543

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Just got our review up here:The Adventure Pals Review

It's a very easy game so don't expect it to be as addictive as games like Super Meat Boy and Slime-san.
Thanks! I posted the link in the OT

Just saw the trailer for this, it looks fun!

Do we know if the Switch port is all good? No tech issues or bugs?

From all of the reviews, none that I can see, but then again in all honesty not seeing too many reviews, all the ones I can find so far are PS4. Once I find more I'll post em here

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I saw this on a list and looked it up, but wasn't sure of what to think of it. It advertised co-op and wasn't clear on how important that was. I don't necessarily like playing with others, nor do I like social games. I like narratives I can beat and beat alone.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Got the ps4 version today on a whim and had a blast playing with my daughter. Just beat the second boss. Game seems quite long. Only downside is there doesn't seem to be much variety.

You can play this game solo easily in fact coop is exactly the same you just get a helping hand which you really don't need. Coop implementation is basically knack. Other player is just there and has no bearing on anything but helping you

OP
OP
taco543

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Got home from work and was finally able to sit down and play it a bit,
Made it to Treefist
Love the Castle Crasher vibe, also reminds of Battleblock Theater

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Any more impressions from anyone on this? It seems to be a super quiet release, despite looking alright.

OP
OP
taco543

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Any more impressions from anyone on this? It seems to be a super quiet release, despite looking alright.
I agree, it's a damn shame too the game is really good! I've been playing it quite a bit on my ps4 and am going to pick it up on my switch (once I can fully homebrew it... lol). But I posted another review I found, and it was actually a switch review.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Am I missing how to grapple with the giraffe or am I just early on in the game?

OP
OP
taco543

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Am I missing how to grapple with the giraffe or am I just early on in the game?
You have to unlock it, but after you do if you have a 5 hit combo going pres in the direction towards the enemy.

Also I think the tongue out of cheek trophy has the wrong amount of time because I sat in one level just jumping up and down helicoptering for half an hour and never got it

OP
OP
taco543

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
I finished it in about 5 1/2 hours and one trophy away from platinum 5 islands total, with about 5 stages each island, each stage containing 5 levels, and a boss stage on each island as well.

And that's not including the 6 possible collectibles from each stage, 5 cupcakes one for each level, and a sticker pack hidden in one of those as well.