• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

The adventures of Dumpster Diving!

would you do dumpster diving?

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I keep a gigantic bin where I put scrap metal I find, and about once a year I take a couple of hundred pounds to the scrapyard and get a decent payday. People very often place a lot of metal next to the recycling bins at my apartment's garbage area. Pots and pans, broken appliances, metal chairs, metal bed frames, and so on. It's not unusual to find 30 pounds of scrap metal next to the recycling bin.

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I once got a ton of copies of Windows in a "dumpster dive". I didn't actually have to dive into anything. I was on a site for a demolition and everything in the building was 1st come 1st serve. I think I got like 20 copies that hadn't even been opened, and it was while that version of Windows was still supported. Unopened copies with serial keys and all. Sold them on eBay.

Also got a mint condition projector screen and some 1950's to 2000''s copies of some great books from the library in the building.

I couldn't believe all the stuff they were just going to bucket into dump trucks and haul off.

I would NEVER do food though.

Nov 11, 2017
Scavenging. Its called scavenging...

Do u need to eat out of bins? Im just thinking of the folks not sport scavenging. But the ones who likely have to sneak and do it as the cops would be called on them...

I guess its like the laws of the sea though. Whoever can get it.. Gets it..

Oct 29, 2017
I went and I got boxes of donuts. And some other stuff. Shops are wasteful. The food items I got at one place was beyond like a month sell by date

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Exactly ^^^^

I went dumpster diving yesterday and I found...

- so many tank tops in various sizes
- two great blankets, soft and one is handmade
- 3 couch pillows
- 2 bed pillows
- 1 working speaker
- 1 working pair of headphones
- never opened king size comforter
- 1 vegan purse

Pretty good day

Not to mention, TWO OF THE BAGS WERE LABELLED "CHARITY"

Fuckers just threw out perfectly good stuff that was meant for charity at some point.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I live in NYC and I bet I can find a lot of good stuff here being a big city and all, but nah. Ain't got the courage.

I worked next to a sushi restaurant once and every Sunday morning, I'd see their trash bags piled on on the sidewalk torn open with sushi and sushi containers all over the street.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
yea to many stuck up people here.
Their loss. I was able to furnish my apartment from things obtained through DDing & Craigslist free section.

I wouldn't be able to live the type of lifestyle I do otherwise to an extent. I save so much money this way (my winter coat is from the dumpster, computer desk, side table, 2 couches from Craigslist free, lights, chairs etc) that I can live more comfortably, or feel free to spend more money on other things that I can't obtain through dumpsters.

But clothes? Shit I just found like 20+ brand new wife beaters lol. I find so many good clothes. Fuck $80 jeans.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm watching this thread. Probably will post more in this space. I urge all the anti-consumptionists and leftists of ERA to participate in this. Also if you're falling on hard times or decided to spend your budget on games/hardware instead of food.

Dec 1, 2017
Used to do it with my dad, and you can't believe how many times people throw consoles away because the power or tv cable stopped working. I think overall I found 5 PS2, 1 PS1, 2GBA, 2GBASP and 3N64. Except for a couple PS2 they all are still working today.