• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

would you do dumpster diving?

• Yes!

Votes: 143 31.6%
  • Gross dude.

Votes: 328 72.4%

• Total voters

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What is dumpster diving?
From dictionary.com...
the practice of foraging in garbage that has been put out on the street in dumpsters, garbage cans, etc., for discarded items that may still be valuable, useful, or fixable.

Each year tons of waste goes to landfills sometimes perfectly edible foods.
Why do i do it I am a cheap bastard and I am not above eating food that has been thrown out.

here are some pics of my haul from Saturday.
z2nPd2z.jpg
RtekjqE.jpg
OJ5I1km.jpg

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Eating dumpster jerky is how you get your ass attached to a toilet for a week.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for valuable electronics/collectables and decent value items I get it.

But food? Beef jerky, at that? Come on man

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
From the distance those cows look like mummfied monkeys. Dumpster diving for Mummy Monkey Jerky.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe the number of times I've seen a person crawl out of the dumpster at the local grocery store I work at.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
When I lived back in GA in 2001, I went to haul off some trash to the dumpster with my Dad. I looked inside and there a ziplock bag full of change. So I jumped right in and took it. Got home, counted it, and it was $20 worth! Used it to pay off Banjo-Tooie that I had on layaway at Wal-Mart lol

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I remember on the old forum I said it was gross and a bunch of people got really pissy and defensive at me but it still is. If someone of dumping hard rubbish like a computer or a table and it's in good condition then sure, but anything else is disgusting. I work at a store and anything I throw in the bin is for a reason. Even if it's not expired it could have been recalled, left out in a hot area, contaminanted somehow. Not worth the risk of serious food poisoning for a piece of beef jerky.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I've been "dumpster diving", but not for food or anything of personal value. One of my jobs had me in the dumpsters they used to move around trash as it always collected on the end nearest the truck bay door. It was mostly solids at least since it was a warehouse/plant situation, but people threw their lunch and stuff in there too sometimes, so it could get messy some days.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that's a good brand and all but are you really gonna eat jerky out of the garbage and not get sick? Is it worth the risk?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what I've expected. I've heard of people coming out like kings after dumpster diving, either grabbing nice cuts of meat, electronics, games, and so on.

But jerky? I can't get excited for that, lmao. Where's the toaster? Or the steak that's going to "expire" in two days?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I'd probably eat it, it's all sealed anyway, and it's dried meat.

In the post apocalypse, that sort of stuff will get you a serious amount of bottle caps.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought you were going to talk about furniture or finding something you can fix, not food.

I know that people do that but you don't really know how long they've been sitting out.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't let the haters get to you, bro. Hunting for your own food adds character to the meal.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Only times I've "dumpster dived" was from apartment dumpsters, people tend to toss some good stuff during moving season. One time I drove by the dumpster of the apartment building I was living it at the time and noticed a 55" Samsung TV sitting next to it, I stopped and checked the TV out and it didn't look too dinged up so I snagged it. It needed a few capacitors replaced in it to work properly, which I did, and I still have it to this day, thing works fine. Got a floor shelving unit and a few chairs under similar circumstances.

Heck I've seen people put bikes next to dumpsters, just some things people don't want to take with them when moving.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
One time I saw some posters/Merch by the dumpster near a Hollywood Video... that's about as far as I'm willing to go when it comes to dumpster diving. Diving for food is some next level stuff.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I am very fortunate in that I do not have to make those decision. If the OP is accustomed to these practices, I'm sure he or she knows how to determine if the packaging has been compromised, can read the dates on the packages, and washed the packaging. OP, you do what you need to do.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Every couple of months I like to watch dumper diving videos on Youtube. Shit looks kinda fun, honestly.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to all the time as a kid in our apt complex. Most times tho stuff woukd be outside the dumpster. Found a lot of clothes this way!

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I've no aversion to a spot of dumpster diving, but never for food.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Nah my guy I'm good.

I guess tech stuff is ok. Mayyybe clothes even (though not for me), but food?

Nope.