• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
r7zECEm.png

8bp14E6.png

Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Developer: Cattle Call and a little bit of Grezzo
Publisher: FuRyu
Release Dates:
NA: March 27, 2018
JP: June 22, 2017
Genre: RPG
Price: $39.99

2HZVkRA.png

Nine individuals comes togethe to form an amazing alliance and change the world.
In this dramatic RPG, the player follows a ragtag party of nine protagonists. They come from different races, as well as opposing sides of their world's great conflict.
As they uncover the truths of their world, their perspectives will change and they will grow as individuals.
Their paths intertwine as if guided by destiny, and they eventually find themselves sharing the same goals on an epic journey.

UXNEyVZ.png

-Nine playable characters to fill a party of up to five heroes.
-Awaken new combat arts through battle. Different skills will unlock as you wield the seven different weapon types.
-No random encounters.
-SaGa-style Character Progression.
-Soundtrack Composition by Masashi Hamauzu (Final Fantasy & SaGa series)
-Scenario by Yoshitaka Murayama (Suikoden series)
-Multiple vehicles to discover and utilize to traverse the world map.
-Five Guilds scattered across the world to unite that allow the recruitment of NPCs in the game.
-The ability to change the name of any party member in the game.

BJ62PiR.png

htNttds.png

Is this related to The Legend of Legacy?
Kind of spiritually similar, especially in the graphical style and battle systems, but it's completely standalone story-wise and judging by reviews it's also a much better game.

Is there any way I can try the game out for myself before buying?
Yes! There's an extensive demo on the eShop right now!

Why couldn't this release on the Switch? I don't want to play 3DS games any more.
Then I guess you're not playing this. :P

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for the OT, it's great. I've been very excited for this game especially since I loved the heck out of Legend of Legacy.

I'm glad to see the reviews are good too. Crazy to think FuRyu might have made one of the best JRPGs of the year.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going in extremely skeptical, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I want a new, good Murayama game.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm saddened they took out the cartography element of TLoL though. And apparently the game seems to be considerably easier, which isn't exactly something that I wanted. I tend to lose interest if a jrpg is too easy.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I'm picking this up tomorrow~

Always look forward to more handheld RPGs, and this one is no different.

ALSO MASASHI HAMAUZU MUSIC and it's great.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Quite disappointed that there's no physical PAL release. Might have to resort to digital, which I'm generally loathe to do.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Quite disappointed that there's no physical PAL release. Might have to resort to digital, which I'm generally loathe to do.
Me too, though I bit the bullet and bought it as soon as it went up at midnight instead of importing - I want to play it sooner rather than later, and I want to show that at least some of us are interested in games like this so maybe there can be limited physical runs of future games. It's especially sad because the launch edition in the US comes with a soundtrack CD and this game's soundtrack is likely going to end up being one of the year's best.

Anyway. Very excited about heading into this. I only played 5 minutes this morning, having finished the demo and carried over the points from it - is it really gonna have me play through the museum from the demo again?

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Curious to see how story driven will be this game. In Legend of Legacy there was a big intro with lot of stuff but the actual game was pretty minimalistic in this regard, with absolutely zero character development. They barely had personalities tbh.

Then there's the Suikoden dude writing, but who knows?

I'm saddened they took out the cartography element of TLoL though. And apparently the game seems to be considerably easier, which isn't exactly something that I wanted. I tend to lose interest if a jrpg is too easy.

I welcome it being easier as i found LoL to be pretty brutal and grindy.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
How related to Legend of Legacy storyline-wise is this game? I skipped LoL altogether, should I play it first?

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
How related to Legend of Legacy storyline-wise is this game? I skipped LoL altogether, should I play it first?

Not related at all. Only the graphics, gameplay, and music are similar. The story has been completely overhauled (this is good, cause LoL's plot and writing were the weakest part.) I would suggest skipping Legend of Legacy altogether and play this instead.

Just waiting for it to go up on the eShop...

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
Out now on the UK 3DS eShop. Downloading at the moment.

I need my SaGa fix until (hopefully) Scarlet Grace gets a translation.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
OMG, thanks a bunch! I'm really looking forward to playing this in like an hour and a half!

just to kick off discussion, does anyone have a weapon preference for any of the characters yet? I know that when Ignace, the bare-cheated Butler comes around, he's rolling out with the punches! and Barbarossa, oh man, backup tank and Axe-Lizard-Man-Hurricane-Of-Destruction!

edit: typo

Last edited:

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the OT, I was wondering if we'd get one. I really enjoyed The Legend of Legacy, so I'm super excited to start playing this today.

Oct 27, 2017
My hunger for Murayama style jrpg narrative is strong. I also enjoyed the demo a fair bit (particularly dungeon design, simple but effective). The reviews suggest the narrative is fairly engaging, w/ most of the complaints being too-simple battle system, not enough voice acting, production values, etc., so I'm going in fairly hyped.

Of course, it'll be hard for me to play without the shadow of my dream Suikoden VI hanging over me, as has been the case w/ NNK2...

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question in case anyone has played the Japanese version.

Do the characters have innate weapon preferences? Outside the scope of simply what you spend points into?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I'm still playing the demo on 3DS but what I played of it was pretty solid. It reminds me of Bravely Default meets Final Fantasy Tactics' unlock system with JP. It's a shame this game is going to go under the radar. With it being an Atlus published game, I hope it sells decently. Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology was the #3 3DS game last month so I have faith. I plan to get it somewhere down the line.

Most of the criticisms seem to be that combat is too easy, no voice acting, no cartography system from LoL (I only played the demo), and placing alliance towers on the overworld doesn't add much that isn't already missing.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Do the characters have innate weapon preferences? Outside the scope of simply what you spend points into?
I had the same question while researching the game but I didn't find anything suggesting it so probably not. I think you can just use anything with anybody, though focusing on one or two weapon types at a time is for the best.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Reading reviews they seem pretty split on whether the systems are amazing and the story is average JRPG stuff or the systems are a little tedious and the story and characters is the best part of the game.
Seems very YMMV like Legend of Legacy but with more people ending up enjoying it when all is said and done.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Reading reviews they seem pretty split on whether the systems are amazing and the story is average JRPG stuff or the systems are a little tedious and the story and characters is the best part of the game.
Seems very YMMV like Legend of Legacy but with more people ending up enjoying it when all is said and done.

Hm, interesting. From the demo, I liked how the world was setup, and the conflict seems interesting.

The battle system I felt kinda meh about at first, but I was kinda getting into it at the end of the demo. Wonder if I'll finally get it at the full game.

Aveyn Knight

Nov 29, 2017
UK
I rather enjoyed the demo and I'm looking forward to another meaty, story-driven RPG to dive into.

However I dunno when my copy is arriving, since I've imported it from Canada.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Release kind of surprised me. My copy came in today.
Only recently wrapped up the two Bayos on Switch and resumed Radiant Historia, so it'll be a looooong while before I get to this.
Early buzz is a bit encouraging though.

Malms

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up my copy earlier, not gonna be able to jump in right away but I'm pretty excited!

Oct 25, 2017
Argh! My copy came in today, but I'm still in the middle of Radiant Historia.

I enjoyed the shit out of Legend of Legacy despite its flaws, so I'm curious to see how this one holds up.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I liked Legend of Legacy for the most part. It had issues, but i'm definitely willing to jump in for another experience.

This is definitely a team that can improve.

Oct 27, 2017
Digging in past demo now. I really like this so far. Digging the Hamauzu tunes, finding the characters charming and the scenario fairly engaging. I've always liked Saga battle system, but usually feel at loose ends. The more structured narrative paired with this system seems like a sweet combo so far.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017

It's a good game, though not for everyone. I have been playing for a while and here's my impressions so far:

Battle system feels experimental since it doesn't level up your characters in a regular way. There are a lot of components to each attack so there's definetelly some depth there, but the game doesn't force it on the player. Passing most fights using the same skills is doable and thank the developers for puting a fast forward option.

Story is getting interesting, going beyond the expected cliches. I hope they develop better some characters since I feel more than a couple of them didn't had their time in the spotlight yet.

My biggest complain is not having a quick way to traverse the map. It will probably open up later, but I would like to have that option a bit early.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Oh awesome, there's a demo! Thanks for the info OP, will definitely try this out tonight. :)

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Takes a bit to ease into the combat and mechanics. It's not necessarily complicated, but the game doesn't really explain a whole lot at the start. That being said, I enjoy it now that I am more comfortable with it and what I'm building toward. Honestly, one of the little things I like the most about this game so far is that the music on the field doesn't get interrupted when entering a battle. I'm enjoying that seamless flow of the presentation. It's a minor thing, but I really dig that. Also, the involvement of the towers on the overworld -- totally cool. Very pleasant game so far.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You know, the world is fine, story is fine up to now, the battles are fine and fast... the only thing I'm not really liking in this is the growth system. Dunno if the third and fourth characters are supposed to be much stronger than your other characters, but they made the other two feel weak, heh.

I'm still not sure how to get more HP, MP and new abilities. Is it something like the FF2 system, or it's completely random?

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely more story and a more involved narrative in this game than The Legend of Legacy, but I like that it's still quick to get going and that the story comes in quick bursts (at least in the first 4-5 hours). It still feels like The Legend of Legacy in that you're never far removed from exploration and battles, which was one of my favourite parts of that game.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
You know, the world is fine, story is fine up to now, the battles are fine and fast... the only thing I'm not really liking in this is the growth system. Dunno if the third and fourth characters are supposed to be much stronger than your other characters, but they made the other two feel weak, heh.

I'm still not sure how to get more HP, MP and new abilities. Is it something like the FF2 system, or it's completely random?
At that point in the story, the third and fourth characters aren't going to stick around for very long, so don't worry too much about the disparity.

Generally, the difficulty of the battle ties into how often you get HP/MP gains and awaken weapon skills.