• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/18/...tv-prime-video-chromecast-return-announcement

TheVerge said:
YouTube is returning to Amazon's lineup of Fire TV products, and the Amazon Prime Video app will be adding Chromecast support and become more widely available on Android TV. Those two developments, jointly announced by both companies this morning, mark the end of a long-running standoff between Google and Amazon, a feud that has kept a native YouTube app off of the Fire TV platform for well over a year. Customers were really the ones who were disadvantaged as soon as these two tech giants entered into this spat, so to see that it's over is very good news.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What a dumb "war". Amazon loves getting in these battles. Glad they figured something out.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Awesome. The YouTube Fire workaround kept getting more and more wonky as time went on.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I guess AppleTV+ has finally put some pressure on these guys; good for consumers.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I have had Prime video on my Nvidia Shield based on Android and has Google Play store (tv version) for 2 yrs as well as YouTube, didn't know there was an issue, I guess that was a lucky purchase then.

Still missing Amazon Music in the UK though, even though its elsewhere

Oct 27, 2017
Using Youtube.com via Firefox on the FireTV has always been a fairly fine user experience. I doubt native will be much more than just the old webwrapper that existed before they stopped supporting the device.

Best case scenario is we get fully custom app that supports watching purchased movies and content as well.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I have had Prime video on my Nvidia Shield based on Android and has Google Play store (tv version) for 2 yrs as well as YouTube, didn't know there was an issue, I guess that was a lucky purchase then.

Still missing Amazon Music in the UK though, even though its elsewhere

I think amazon paid nvidia or viceversa to have the app on the box.

Good news for fire product and chromecast owners though.

Last edited:

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Great news. There isn't that much that I've bothered to watch on prime video, but this could change that.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I can finally buy Echo Show with YouTube
And google music in Alexa via Sonos

The article actually says the Echo Show has no plans for a YouTube app at the moment.

Notably, this deal leaves out Amazon's smart display, the Echo Show, so YouTube won't be arriving on that device anytime soon. But a person familiar with the matter said that both companies continue to engage in ongoing conversation. In the meantime, the browser workaround can be used as a way to access YouTube on the Show, too.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Thank god. I've been having to use my TV's YouTube app instead of my FireStick and this prevents YouTube from playing through my surround system.

God, this is such a first world problem.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
tumblr_mvvoqaNcTh1qa0n48o2_250.gif

It was pretty dumb when the FireTV YouTube app went away. But I've been making do with watching YouTube via the Firefox app (which is what the defunct YouTube app directed users to do). Basic watching was fine, and YouTube served up an appropriate TV-friendly interface, but it didn't quite have the full functionality of the app.

Also the Prime Video app wasn't on AppleTV devices for the longest time, but that changed in late 2017.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
This is great news. I have like 4 fire tv devices in my home since I mostly use streaming and Directv Now for my tv needs. Now I have the option for YouTube TV if I decide to cancel Directv Now since they raised the prices and cut some channels.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that our two warring parties could come together for the good of society!

What was the initial war even about? Other than opposing video services.

Google and Amazon used to partner together (Amazon's 'Fire' lineup of tablets, readers, etc., were all Android devices, they added the GOogle Play Store to them, etc), but they both started blocking each others services on their own hardware, competing for the same market. Mostly just competition over Alexa v. Google Assistant devices, and what services they could use.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Prime has been on the Shield for a while now.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Shield TV and certain Sony TVs with built in Android TV have been the exceptions to the rule. Most other versions of Android TV were out of luck for native Amazon Prime Video app support (though sideloading a Sony-version apk had various levels of success depending on variables).

Now Hulu needs to get off their ass and update the Android TV app. It feels like they simply abandoned it.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Shield TV and certain Sony TVs with built in Android TV have been the exceptions to the rule. Most other versions of Android TV were out of luck for native Amazon Prime Video app support (though sideloading a Sony-version apk had various levels of success depending on variables).

Now Hulu needs to get off their ass and update the Android TV app. It feels like they simply abandoned it.
It's not like the Shield Prime app was any good, you couldn't even manage your favorites list.

Oct 25, 2017
What was the initial war even about? Other than opposing video services.

Google didn't want to acknowledge Amazon's platforms, mostly because compete in the same space and were also Android based though with Google services swapped for Amazon's. This means official YouTube never existed for Fire, FireTV and Echo Show. Amazon wanted YouTube because it's one of the most important video apps. Luckily YouTube has a web API so it's possible to build your own YouTube app and that's what Amazon did. For context, Amazon has clashing with Google for years over Android apps (Google updated their terms to ban Amazon's app store within the Amazon app) and basically made it as hard as possible for Amazon to operate it. Amazon's Prime Video service gains enough popularity that Amazon uses it as leverage to get people to side load. They eventually release it to the Android app store but without Google centric features like Chromecast support. On the TV side, Amazon is leading Google and therefore they have little interest in officially supporting Android TV but because some other manufacturer's are willing to preload, they were happy to add it but still made it unavailable through the store. Eventually the status quo breaks down, Amazon pulls the competition's devices from thier store, and Google blocks Amazon's access to the YouTube API both under flimsy pretenses. They've been negotiating since.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking awesome, been wanting to watch a bunch of stuff on Prime Video for ages, but had already bought into the Chromecast ecosystem by the time anything interesting to me had come to the service, and any workarounds I tried were a pain in the ass. Finally can catch up on The Grand Tour :O

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
itsbeen84years.gif

I think my old-gen chromecast has probably broken due to gravity by now, but since Prime accounts for 80% of my streaming nowadays I'll consider getting a new one.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Good.

Means I can move the Chromecast that I swap with my Fire stick to watch Google stuff, and (finally) cast videos from the Amazon Prime app to the Chromecast on another TV.

That just leaves a lack of iTunes in terms of interoperability, but that's Apple's own, different beast.