• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
This is the sixth piece in Mama Robotnik's Sega Obscura ResetEra Series:

Sega Obscura 1 - The Sega Saturn was the best console EVER for…
Sega Obscura 2 - Sonic 1 (8-bit) is a better game than Sonic 1 (16-bit)
Sega Obscura 3 - The first "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" released hates Sonic, and hates us all
Sega Obscura 4 - The Eleven SEGA "Zeldas"
Sega Obscura 5 - The extraordinary Sega game that played the player
Sega Obscura 6 - The ambitious Sonic game from 2009 that you will never, ever get to play
Sega Obscura 7 - When Sega took on Zelda, they really went for the jugular
Sega Obscura 8 - The most consistent sequence of fuckups in the entirety of the history of video games

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, it doesn't take long for a Sega product to become Sega Obscura. While the other articles in this series have focussed on content from well over twenty-years ago, today's exploration is of a much more recent Sega release.

User generated content is now mainstream. Minecraft is still as gargantuan as ever, and Super Mario Maker 2 is hotly anticipated. Content creation has always been a part of the industry of-course, but it was back in 2009 that we saw this move beyond mods and hacks, with titles such as Little Big Planet, Scribblenauts, and the aforementioned Mojang behemoth.

But something else came out in 2009, something that should have made waves, something that should have rightfully been a franchise phenomenon.

P8XtvsS.gif

It was in September of that year, to no fanfare at all, that Sega released the Sonic Level Creator. Sega Europe commissioned Mediatonic to develop the package in Flash for their new PlaySEGA.co.uk portal.

PRESS START

vuU7hBM.jpg

The Sonic Level Creator offered an efficient, intuitive interface that allowed the user to easily create vast landscapes and playgrounds in the style of the 16-bit original. From moving platforms, ramps of varying inclinations, tunnels, bridges, overground areas and underground areas, the player was invited to recreate and reimagine the fun of the series.

5WYfCqF.jpg

The tileset was fresh and vibrant – a lakeside plateau of gem-trees and sparkling rocks, littered with ruined pillars and tiled walls. It showed a clear influence from Green Hill, Marble and Hill Top – while retaining a character of its own.

a17ybe0.jpg

To up the action and exploration, the player could add from a range of Sonic 1-era enemies (both ground bound and airborne), collectable rings and power-up monitors. These could be added in quantities far higher than the original games supported (e.g. hundreds of enemies), allowing for some interesting possibilities.

GHagUpK.jpg

The game contained all the familiar Sonic sound effects alongside some new, chirpy music tracks, giving the game a legitimate 16-bit feeling.

LOCK ON

uMiW456.jpg

1X4yVyd.jpg

QmuTdO8.jpg

Behind the simple interface lay complex possibility. Enormous levels could be created, emulating the tiered multi-path structure of the early Sonic games. Here is one level – the second image shows the low (green), middle (yellow) and high (red) paths available to the player.

xtsqY6d.jpg

pP3rGUa.jpg

As mentioned above, power ups and enemies could be added in enormous numbers, allowing bridges and walls of villains for Sonic to smash through and bounce off.

The only mandated element was the traditional act-completion signpost, as long as this existed, the level was good to go, and could be saved onto the Sonic Level Creator online database.

LEVEL SELECT

pmwFepd.jpg

Users who accessed the Sonic Level Creator level database could search for levels, ask for a random level, or access levels shared via URL across the internet. They'd play through the level, and have their completion time recorded at the end. The option was given to rate the levels on a 1-5 scale to support quality control on the database.

kb3VDtu.gif

The gameplay experience was solid and completely playable, though there were refinements to be had. For the most part, the engine reproduced the momentum-based physics of the original Sonic games, though as you'd imagine for a new software release, some collision detection glitches could make themselves apparent – they could infrequently disrupt playthroughs and infuriate purists.

On the whole though, while not perfect, the experience was devotedly loyal to the original games. No homing attacks, no boosts, no stupid friends or annoying voiceovers. It was a very fun return to classic Sonic, with a feel that Sega wouldn't give us again for a very long time. It was also, for a web-based Flash product, an impressive offering.

kzbdB7a.gif

Soon, there were hundreds of levels to choose from, with more still in development.

HIDDEN PALACE

It wasn't long until the Flash assets were identified within the PlaySEGA website. It was clear that Sega had big plans.

eblBbK8.jpg
Eo03zCS.jpg

Green Hill and Marble Tilesets from the Sonic Level Creator

mNEi9tm.jpg
NaxRNhA.jpg

Labyrinth and Spring Yard from the Sonic Level Creator

DaORTk6.jpg
957gxar.jpg

Star Light and Scrap Brain from the Sonic Level Creator

There were texture files for all of the original Sonic zones, and sprites for zone-specific mechanics such as electric switch platforms.

It looked like there was ambition for the Sonic Level Creator to become something far closer in scale to what Super Mario Maker would be a decade later.

BAD FUTURE

RqGHiAJ.jpg

And then suddenly, it was gone. PlaySEGA was shut down with little warning, Sega weren't open to comment, and the Sonic Level Creator and all of its levels – some of which were legitimately amazing – ceased to exist.

The system that PlaySEGA used was never preserved, meaning that there is no way to experience it. All that we have left are a few screenshots and GIFs that I've found across the net, proving that the remarkable product actually existed.

NO WAY

8gAB2rt.gif

What happened? How could an actual competently-made Sonic Maker fail? How did a legitimately licensed product featuring one of gaming's most recognisable icons, with a huge fanbase, simply appear and disappear in barely a few months?

I don't have any definite answers. I did try to reach out to Mediatonic and Sega for their comments, but none were forthcoming, which is of-course their prerogative.

I think Sega were really onto something with this product, and if they had handled it differently, they could have struck gaming gold. Given that the system contained directories for further zone themes, someone somewhere must have imagined there was scope for the Level Creator to become popular and expandable.

Here is where I suspect they went wrong:
  • The Sonic Level Creator was not marketed at all, and was simply advertised as part of the PlaySEGA overall package. It took a few days for awareness of the product to begin to spread. There might have been a hope for it to go viral, but if so, this was not successful at all.

A package with such appeal should not have been bound to a temporary website. Sega could have built a community around the Sonic Level Creator, with console tie-ins, competitions, promotions – they could have used Mediatonic's work as the foundations for something really ambitious

x6CTt5M.jpg

• The Sonic Level Creator included two components – the level player, which was free to access, and the creator itself, which was locked behind a paywall. This was not unfairly-priced – $5.95 a month, and as a reward for joining Sega posted out a Sega Saturn-themed USB controller (I still have mine). They also offered about a month of free access to the creator package, to prompt interest.

sOwMHWP.jpg

This shouldn't have been the model. The paywall was too much of a barrier, and immediately stifled the appeal of the product. Alternate considerations could have been an ads-based platform, or perhaps offering the default level theme for free while charging creators for access to the other level templates.

• The engine wasn't perfect by any means, but it was pretty good for a Flash-based user-generated-content offer. The physics were certainly better than some of Sonic Team's own dire efforts. Sega should have allowed the team to add updates, to patch and resolve some of the minor physics glitches so the product could reach the quality threshold it was almost at.

TRY AGAIN

sc6QSRt.gif

So, there you have it. The Sonic Level Creator. I loved this product, and spent hours working on my levels, and playing on those the community offered up. Even though I enjoy perfect physics, I was happy to accept what was offered, with the anticipation of further updates, refinements and content. It looks like, for a while, that Sega wanted this too.

I'm going to end this article using Sonic CD metaphors.

The SEGA LEVEL CREATOR is the PAST

THE PRESENT came after.

The GOOD FUTURE is where the Sonic Level Creator was moved to its own platform, before the closure of PlaySEGA. Sega invested in the product, commissioning Mediatonic to fix the bugs and add the remaining zones. The monetisation model was reconsidered, and the system became free-to-play, with money made through enhanced features for level creators. The system was relaunched to enormous success, with hundreds of thousands of users playing and sharing levels from their smartphones and across Facebook. The Sonic Level Creator achieved its enormous potential.

UXRhF2b.gif

Unfortunately, we didn't get all the TIME STONES and are living in the BAD FUTURE. The Sonic Level Creator was, inexplicably discarded by Sega, who would spend the remainder of 2009 focussing on Sonic and the Black Knight, "Project Needlemouse" and the Gameloft port of Sonic Unleashed.

SPECIAL THANKS

The GIFs were created using HellfireMisc's YouTube video, one of the only videos still around that shows the Sonic Level Creator levels.

Images of the tilesets are from the archives of The Spriters Resource.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is incredible. Never heard anything about it before now. A real shame this is lost to time, it could have really been something great.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, what a thing to almost happen.
Especially with how much of a fan game community the series has.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how many executives at SEGA saw Mario Maker come out and succeed and were like "WE HAD THIS"

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the gaf thread about it. The "actually this is pretty frigging cool??" reactions were gold. And when *that one 2D Sonic game* was announced shortly afterwards, it was even more impressive in comparison with Dimps' incompetence. Fun times.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Never even knew this existed. What a missed opportunity. Kinda surprised we don't have a Sonic Maker yet given the hacking/fangame community.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent write up as usual. This game was a tad janky, perfectly competent. It needed time to grow which it didn't get :(

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I vaguely remember reading about this the year it released. I wonder if Sega is open to try this again due to the success of Mario Maker or have they forgotten about it?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even know this existed. Surprised we haven't heard of some sort of resurgence for this after the success of Mario Maker.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
A full-fledged official "Sonic Maker" is inevitable, especially after the success of Mario Maker. Maybe not next year, or five years from now, but it'll come. I guarantee it.

It's kinda funny (and tragic) how consistently ahead of the curve SEGA was with certain ideas, but those same ideas were often tied to poor execution that held them back and stifled mass market appeal. In this case it was their online PlaySEGA service hamstrung with subscriber fees. What a shame. :/

EDIT: Three consecutive "success of Mario Maker" posts? lol

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I'm surprised they didn't outright make this a PC title. As in, C code, selling it on a disk, etc.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This really should have eventually become a standalone app, and it is indeed a genuine shame that it didn't.

I appreciate what it did, though at the same time for my purposes something like SonLVL was comparable enough to what this program was capable of.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
By the way, why do the Genesis Steam games have Steam Workshop but Mania doesn't? Is Nintendo's protectiveness rubbing off on SEGA?

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Seeing how active the hacking community for Sonic is, it's mindboggling SEGA didn't somehow revive this.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Great research, I had no idea we'd been this close to a proper 2D sonic before Mania came along.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
How on earth could it be possible that I haven't heard of this?

What the hell?

I was subscribed to the RSS feed of TSSZNews in 2009 (and still am, for the record) and there's no way this could have existed without them posting about it, which means I should know about it.

I'm really confused.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, I actually remember this and played with it, but it was more recent in my mind, like 2010-2011ish, can't believe 10 years have passed..... i feel old.

SEGA was always ahead of the bunch, even if people don't recognize it, always with the bad luck and strange decisions

This thread have been a blast from the past , always enjoy reading those threads about SEGA

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Oh damn, had no idea this was a thing at all. It's just like Sega to come up with a great idea years before the competition, hamfist the implementation and then watch as their rivals come and take all the plaudits.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I can see this coming up at a time when Sonic Team were second guessing themselves. Yep

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Wouldn't be the first time Sega stumbled onto an idea ahead of its time and squandered it.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
The GIFs were created using HellfireMisc's YouTube video, one of the only videos still around that shows the Sonic Level Creator levels.
Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

I vaguely remember seeing this logo, but I didn't know of this project at all, probably because it was under a British domain. It seems like a neat idea, but I can see why SEGA would be displeased with the kinda jankey gameplay.

Sonic 4 was also announced in September of 2009, I wonder if they canned the project to focus more on Sonic 4

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
How long was it online for exactly? You didn't make it quite clear exactly when it was canned. All under a year in 2009?

Weird to spin that all up for less than a year of some service.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
By the way, why do the Genesis Steam games have Steam Workshop but Mania doesn't? Is Nintendo's protectiveness rubbing off on SEGA?
The workshop support was added more recently not when the games first came out.

Not to mention the Sonic Hacking contest is pretty big.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I still remember the Chronicles like music level.

The physics had some glitches, but overall was fine. I think not many people paid the sub.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I remember this. Didn't play it much but I really adored the stage tile art, really looked like it belonged in a 16-bit Sonic game. I'd play a Sonic 1 hack that included... uh, whatever this zone was to be called, in it.

Here's a thread on Sonic Retro when it was first found.

chocnut

Oct 27, 2017
iPhone singlehandedly destroyed flash completely. That launched in 2007 and by 2009, flash developers could see the end in sight.

Sep 28, 2018
Time and time again SEGA are ahead of the curve only to bungle the delivery... It's a real shame.

I would be a 100 times more interested in a fully fleshed out Sonic Maker than Mario Maker... It doesn't need 4 different graphical styles, it just needs to look like Sonic Mania and have a ton of music tracks to choose from.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing a little of this back on launch (did Play Sega have a free trial or something?), the tileset was really nice and the idea was cool but the music and physics sucked (I remember that loop glitch, I thought they were outright broken and couldn't be used). Given the success of Mario Maker it is pretty surprising that companies didn't immediately rush to try and cash in, Sega even have the perfect developer to hand the task over to....

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Logo looking like Sonic 4 certainly doesn't help.

Slight tangent - that was back when Sega were pretending that old Sonic and new Sonic didn't have wildly different designs. It was so jarring and awkward to see more recent art used to advertise the original games

81xSv6gVcrS._SX385_.jpg

Sonic1AppStore.png

Then Sonic Generations happened and they decided to make old Sonic the "younger" Sonic. Then Forces happened and they decided nah, he's from an alternate dimension. But regardless of the in-universe explanation I'm glad the better design gets used in marketing now