• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like they're dropping the ball with Paige. 4 bodies at that place. Must be plastered all over the papers. Shouldn't Paige put 1+1 together and confront her mom how her visit left 4 dead and what the heck is your job really? She's way too docile and un-inuquisitive than probably ever.

Too on the nose with Phillip again. Foregoing the home-made sandwich (by Liz?) in favor of the American snack.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this season is so dark. Everything crumbling in slow motion. Elisabeth's body count keeps growing with fewer and fewer results. Philip failing at capitalism. Both of them failing at being a couple and being parents. Yes, this is the culmination of the previous seasons, but still can't get over how much darker it is now all the time.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I'm thinking Philip might become unfaithful (again—and outside of the job). He's definitely been thinking about infedelity for a long time. The glances he's giving the girls at the cowboy bar...

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
He's reflecting back when he other little kids were scavenging for food and now he has more than he could ever hope for.
Obviously, but I think the second meaning that Saty suggested could be intentional. I think it's at least a valid interpretation. I feel like Liz's sandwiches for Phil are an understated motif emblematic of the nuclear husband and wife dynamic. He looks at his sandwich and thinks of the old country, and Liz is closer to the old country (at least in her head). He looks at the sandwich and he thinks of the old country explicitly but subtextually he thinks of Liz.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The sequence of Elizabeth breaking in to the warehouse was like a highlight reel of me stumbling through the MGS series.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Great. It's going to suck when Elizabeth is forced to shoot Stan while he's protecting the defectors and he just stands there because he's so shocked and betrayed he's frozen in place. I hope it happens the other way around though!

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
"Well, turns out, combining sex with espionage is both fun and productive! Mom's been missing out."

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
the.americans.2013.s0cupkz.jpg

this shot made laugh because the building has newest and generally mocked logo for Russian Railways company.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Feels like they're dropping the ball with Paige. 4 bodies at that place. Must be plastered all over the papers. Shouldn't Paige put 1+1 together and confront her mom how her visit left 4 dead and what the heck is your job really? She's way too docile and un-inuquisitive than probably ever.

I'm pretty sure she knows, right? I mean...she's not stupid.

The sequence of Elizabeth breaking in to the warehouse was like a highlight reel of me stumbling through the MGS series.

That made me laugh, thank you for it.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is Elizabeth gets caught by Stan, but since Phillip has been out he will be forced to decide between choosing America/betraying his wife or choosing his wife/country that no longer exist for him.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I don't know.

The season has focused a lot more on Phillip's troubles than Elizabeth's, so it feels as though the climax will ultimately be focalized on him. Elizabeth getting caught by Stan and Phillip having to make some kind of decision makes sense, and if he chooses to betray her it might then align with the historical time frame of the season, because Elizabeth and the old Russia would be abandoned for the new Russia.

But that doesn't really line up with the foreboding way that Oleg went back to America, which felt as if he wasn't going to come back. Since he has been meeting up with Phillip, and since we've seen Stan meet with Oleg as well, it might be that Phillip is the one who is caught out through Oleg.

The writing is incredible for mounting the tension so much already while at the same time avoiding any clear direction that tension might tip towards.

Oct 25, 2017
What if Elizabeth finds out Oleg is ratting and kills him. That would be in line with Putin's Russia.

It feels authentic to the character that the only response Elizabeth has to a bad situation is to double down. "Killing people led to my having to kill more people. I can't believe these people keep making me kill them."

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So does Paige get a lesson in who her father really is next week?

I love how Phillip cut off her condescending comment about bad things happening. Paige seems to think she's a hard ass now. Next week looks like it might kicked kicked a bit soft again. (That's her and Phillip fighting, right?)

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure she knows, right? I mean...she's not stupid.
Given the emphasis on the General's death, it's not likely Paige knows the full extent of Liz's work. That she actively hurts people. 4 bodies can't be explained as a suicide of a troubled person. So what gives? Only reason i can think of is the police keeping it under wraps because of the sensitivity of the investigation.
Then again, they didn't do anything with the guy Liz killed on the first episode. Pretty disappointed with how un-intelligently Paige is being handled.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
- Slate.com interview with Margo Martindale
- INTERVIEW: Composer Nathan Barr Makes The Americans Sound Pleasantly Paranoid
- Slate podcast for last week's episode includes a Costa Ronin interview
In Episode 4, "Mr. & Mrs. Teacup," showrunners Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields talk about the charming conversation between Philip and Oleg, and they declare that they're proud to have made one of the darkest scenes in TV history. She then chats with actor Costa Ronin, who plays Oleg Burov, about his Season 6 beard and why Oleg returned to the world of espionage. Finally, H. Keith Melton, who advises the creative team about intelligence-gathering techniques and technology and supplies many of the show's spy gadgets from his personal collection, talks about KGB attitudes to hardware updates, Elizabeth's necklace, and what was changing in 1987.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Sepinwall hype tweets about The Americans are usually suspect, but this is the final season so

oh god oh god

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
A comment in those tweets was excited about the director, Thomas Schlamme. For The Americans, he's done S01E03 "Gregory," S02E01 "Comrades," S03E03 "Open House," S03E04 "Dimebag," and S04E01 "Glanders."

It's been a long time now, so I'm having a hard time jogging my memory with those episodes.

I'm not really familiar with his other work, though, except for the Gary Shandling show. I tried out Sports Night a few years ago, but couldn't quite get into it.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, guys, she's not asking for much, jeez. Just lure a college student into a Bulgarian prison, that's all.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Did Elizabeth miss the early seasons where Stan the Beeman was a fucking super cop? She's barking up the wrong tree here.