• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think animated avatars should be a thing? (Hint: it already is)

• Yea

• Nay

• Dont Care either way

• Let people choose if they want to see animates avatars or not in Preferences

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Note: All avatars animated or not must be below the 50 KB limit.

Now that people have discovered you can use animated avatars we are starting to see more of them. Are you for or against animated avatars?

I am firmly against. Don't like how they just clutter up the page with visual noise. Though some subtle ones can be okay most tend not to be and there is really no way to control them. What say you?

Last edited:

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Dont worry. I just changed my avatar temporary to show its active. (and yep, Im well aware um using one of the most EXTREME nauseating gifs, Its the whole point :p )

Sure it has a file size limit of 50kb but still, for some its very distracting.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
Keep them, just put an option to disable them if you hate them. Unless they are taxing to the servers, they should stay imo.

Just regulate the trashy ones like anime tits flippin' around or something.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have no issues with them, but certainly understand the problems other have with it. They can stay or go, won't bother me either way.

Keep them, just put an option to disable them if you hate them. Unless they are taxing to the servers, they should stay imo.

Just regulate the trashy ones like anime tits flippin' around or something.

Another good thought. Allow options for users to modify their experience here. And yeah, definitely regulate on some obnoxious ones.

Besides that, again, I'm indifferent.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep them unless they are a strain on the servers (unlikely since they have the same size limit as still images), provide an option for people to disable them on their end.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While some things are cool as animated, like my hydralisk would be, i think no animated avatars is better. Animated things attract too much attention, it is far more distracting than static avatars.

EDIT Changed on my mind what was here...

Last edited:

Yohane

Oct 25, 2017
I say we keep the animated avatar and give the ability to disable them in the user settings. Best of both worlds.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'll quote myself.

It's not simply that animated avatars are "annoying" or "ugly". It's that they send the message that a forum needs a novelty bell to be better appealing, that the discussions in and of themselves aren't enough. I remember how neat they were in 2003. I had a custom animated avatar, a custom animated signature, a custom animated tag, and I was just flashing green and purple and blue lights everywhere I went.

But it really doesn't make the forum better for all, and if it bothers some, then that's enough.

When animated GIF avatars were taken away from Neogaf, I whined up a storm, but then I and most people thought "Yeah, this is better."

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Just discovered how to add a poll (you have to first create the thread) so I edited.

For the record it was 11 Nay and 3 Nay on the strawpoll

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
No. Please dear God no. Leave them in the 2000's where they belong. No animated avatars made GAF so clean and readable and was part of the reason I even joined.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like animated avatars.

Before now I was actually in favor of them. Like, why not? But now that I see it in action here and in other threads, it's just needlessly distracting and busying up the page. My eyes are constantly drawn away from the post and toward the flashing images and I can't ignore it because it's right there.

I just wanna read the conversation but my eyes keep getting stuck as I move down the page. Keep it classy, keep it about the conversation, keep it static. Vote for Kodos.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hard pass indeed. Voted nope.

Edit:

I say we keep the animated avatar and give the ability to disable them in the user settings. Best of both worlds.

Not against this, if it's feasible. Give users the option to specify an animated avatar in addition to the normal one, and display the appropriate one to other users according to their preferences.
Obviously this would be waaaaay down the list of priorities to implement.

Deleted member 20295

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I recon they could be allowed, but with an option for other users to disable the animation - me though, they are distracting and usually the animatifon they have is pretty crap.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
+1. I feel like it adds more character and personality to a user's persona if done right but please give us a toggle, especially for some of us mobile browsers navigating with data.

TheIcedP

Oct 27, 2017
Yea it is very distracting to read a post especially the one you have on now. Maybe it is just my short attention span but the gifs really take me out of posts that I am trying to read and then I have to restart the paragraph.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan. I'd probably fall in the same boat as Speevy above me, I thought it sucked for a few weeks when they dumped them on GAF but it wasn't long before I realized how much nicer it made the forum.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Yea it is very distracting to read a post especially the one you have on now. Maybe it is just my short attention span but the gifs really take me out of posts that I am trying to read and then I have to restart the paragraph.
Tbh I got the most psychedelic one I could quick find on google to make a point but mine is on the extreme end of the spectrum im sure hehe.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017

I assume you mean give an option to disable animated avatars only so we can still see normal non-animated avatars?

I guess I would accept that if that was the option we got yeah.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The file size limit is pretty low, so most of them won't really look good at a decreased quality, so I doubt it will become a thing as that may push a lot of people away from uploading one.

I enjoy animated avatars, but only if they're good quality, and not blobby, because then it feels like they are cluttering up my vision, particularly if I can't even tell what it is, lol.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Nay bruh, back to basics.

I still want my animu signatures though, Naruto fighting Goku ftw xDD

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The harm is that this forum hasn't yet finished refining all of its aesthetics and we're adding glittery sparkles.

Beans

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a great one but I'm getting good feedback with this one so I'm happy

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
bad idea to make this poll when OP has a distracting/annoying avatar, heh.:p

I was going to vote yes til I saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.