• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think animated avatars should be a thing? (Hint: it already is)

• Yea

• Nay

• Dont Care either way

• Let people choose if they want to see animates avatars or not in Preferences

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I've never had to put up with someone standing to my left holding a tablet just outside my peripheral vision with a load of flashing shit on it while I'm playing games.

Voted no.
Like going to the movies and the guy sitting next to you is playing in his phone and the brightness is set to max.
You try to look away but you'll never stop noticing it.

The brain is programmed to prioritize motion perception over other concerns like color. That's why it becomes so distracting on a static page. For instance, go to this page:
http://www.cns.nyu.edu/~david/courses/perception/lecturenotes/motion/motion.html

Your eyes will go straight to the gif even before the bright red square. Motion is significantly more attention grabbing than static images.

Last edited:

Se7enSword

Oct 25, 2017
GA, USA
Animated avatars add more flavor and character plus they can also be even better avatar quotes.

Personally i like that it's available here.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Please give us personal optio to disable them at minimum. If that's possible, I have no problem with whether they can be done or not!

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to this thread I now have an animated avatar.

(But I am ok with static images too...)

faint

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure XF gives you the option to disable animated avatars. At the same time, I don't know how much control admins have over the modification of these kinds of features.

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a problem with them. Whether or not they're here changes absolutely nothing. That being said, they should either be banned or allowed. Letting some .gif avatars be allowed and others not be allowed is only going to lead to conflict as people will argue about what is and is not allowed.

Obviously the best solution would be allowing them to be disabled on an individual level, but I'm not sure if that's possible with Xenforo.

That being said, I have no clue how people find them distracting, or at least moreso than any other profile picture would be. Like, if this place wanted to be purely focused on discussion, than it would only be text and username. But that makes the website sound vapid and drab. I don't care what the discussion is, if your website is an abomination to the art of graphic design, then you're doing something wrong.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
17381.jpg

It moves!

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My immediate response is God no, they are ghastly and obnoxious, remove them from the site and fire them into the sun, I hate them, hatehathatehatehate!

However my reasoned, sensible response is that if people like them and don't mind my seething judgement let them use them. Just allow those of us with taste* to turn them off in preferences. Though I do like seeing peoples avatars so uploading a static one too so that "Filthy GIFFERS" aren't missing one.

* ;)

[edit] With all that said, I like yours Ghos, yours is fab

Bob The Skull

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I absolutely adore subtly animated avatars, but I recognize that these are impossible to guarantee. So allow them and allow a user to opt in for static avatars. Then again, hoping for a majority of users to adopt nice, subtly animated avatars is probably only a pipe dream.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt really consider 50% Solid Nay and 50% three different answers really"half and half." Lumping all three of those options together as in favor isn't honest. It's especially egregious to consider Dont Care as in favor. It shouldnt even be an option, people with no opinion whatsoever could have just not voted. They're not for or against anything.

Like, nobody went to their local polls on election day to write in "dont care." People who stayed home were not included in the results or automatically attributed to one side.
Okay, still less than half are against it was the main point.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It should be a straight disallowal, otherwise you have some posters avatar quoting/commenting on avatar/etc. Not to mention how badly the first frame on a gif will look to everyone blocking animated avatars.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the avatar file size limit stays low then I'm indifferent. The only thing is they shouldn't be annoying or have flashing.

What I like is having a random avatar, which I have on forums that still allow external URL avatars:

http://www.fyrewulff.com/fdc/rand/paava.png

, but it's understandable why few forums allow external URL avatars anymore. It'd be possible to do it native, and could contribute the code to do so if wanted.

It should be a straight disallowal, otherwise you have some posters avatar quoting/commenting on avatar/etc. Not to mention how badly the first frame on a gif will look to everyone blocking animated avatars.

now is actually a good time to get rid of the 'avatar quote' meme anyway

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
especially for some of us mobile browsers navigating with data
Mobile era means I don't want it.
since people on mobile have different limits on speed
and are just more to load on the server
having that much more is going to destroy the servers
No thanks. I don't need to waste data/bandwidth while on my phone.
So much disinformation
Animated avatars are under the same size limit of static avatars so it changhes NOTHING to server strain and data usage

Unless they are taxing to the servers
Would that not impact bandwidth too for mobile users?
But if it works and keeps the load and bandwidth
if they actually are a strain on the servers
If the servers can handle it
It's not a problem beacuse of the same size cap

But that means mods would have to individually police every user's avatar because there's no way to filter that stuff out automatically.
Aint nobody got time for that.
To be fair, we have report buttons now. The community could police itself by reporting posts with users who have offending avatars.
Might clog the report queue though but it's an option.
Pretty much, yeah. Plus, how do you even draw the line between what one user finds tasteful and another finds annoying and distracting? Now people who get their animated avatars nerfed are going to start saying "But THAT user got to keep his avatar and its more annoying than mine was!" How do you even respond to personal taste?
Another way to frame this debate: Hey mods! Do you like getting reports? How many more reports do you want to get a day? ...is it a lot? We can definitely do that for you with Animated Avatars™!
On principle you'd have the same problem and bother with static avatars featuring questionable content.
Someone could put as an avatar something borderline NSFW and a report would be needed to take it off, and being borderline falls under the Mod's judgement would lead to some disputes anyway.
All of this regardless of being animate

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe an option to click someones profile, and from there you can select "ignore avatar". Then you can kind of pick and choose which avatar is ok and which is too distracting. I've only seen a few where I'm like "yeah, if I could block that one, I would".

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt really consider 50% Solid Nay and 50% three different answers really"half and half." Lumping all three of those options together as in favor isn't honest. It's especially egregious to consider Dont Care as in favor. It shouldnt even be an option, people with no opinion whatsoever could have just not voted. They're not for or against anything.

Like, nobody went to their local polls on election day to write in "dont care." People who stayed home were not included in the results or automatically attributed to one side.
Half of the forum is against them in any way shape or forum.

18% are for them, and the rest don't care or want an option.

By far the most people think they shouldn't be allowed in any way shape or form, which is where I stand.

They're really ugly and only allowing frame 1 of the GIF doesn't help much. They also encourage bad avatars and make to form look tacky as hell.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Please keep them. Allows for more expression. Maybe give others the option to not see them or see a still image version of them if they don't like animated avatars. Honestly though there are tasteful animated avatars that work just fine and look great, so not allowing them because some people don't like them would be lame.

There should be some rules though, like no flashing or anything too obnoxious perhaps?

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of needless animations. They're tacky at best and a distraction at worst. That said the best option in my opinion is to always give the user the option. So my vote goes to a setting in preference that enables/disables animation in avatars. If that is not possible then my vote goes to disabling them.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The flaw with animated avatars is that about 90% of people can't gif well.

For an avatar, the first thing it should be doing is looping well. If it doesn't do that, then the jerkiness of the last frame flipping back to the first will constantly annoy anyone looking at the board. Already seen examples of this in this thread.

Timing is also an important factor; I don't want to pick on anyone, but it's an example that's been playing in front of me the whole time I've been typing this - Lashley's current smoking Snake avatar would work much better if the first frame was frozen for a longer length of time so it was almost a static avatar with a subtle bit of movement every now and then.

I'm not going to condemn them, because if done well they can be fun. After all, I love the fact I'm one of those rare users who still has an animated Twitter avatar. But the truth is, they are something that can go wrong oh so easily.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
All this hate towards animated avatars. You all just need to grab some maracas and have a good time.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they stay and we can make a compromise to make everyone happy. It's nice seeing them again.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Primary vote: Nay, because they make the place look like a bad trip to the 90's where <blink> and <marquee> tags reigned. It's unprofessional looking and can turn off new members more than attract them.
Secondary vote: If we must have the abominations, allow users to disable them throughout the site.

Oct 25, 2017
On principle you'd have the same problem and bother with static avatars featuring questionable content.
Someone could put as an avatar something borderline NSFW and a report would be needed to take it off, and being borderline falls under the Mod's judgement would lead to some disputes anyway.
All of this regardless of being animate

It's not the same because it's easy to differentiate the line between SFW and NSFW. People generally know what they can and cannot use as an avatar, most users follow these guidelines, and it's easy to enforce if someone breaks the rules.

My response was in reference to people saying "just report the annoying flashy ones" but there's no accounting for taste. How do you even draw the line between what one user finds tasteful and another finds annoying and distracting? Now the rules are inconsistent, avatars are getting reported all over the place, and people who get their animated avatars nerfed are going to start saying "But THAT user got to keep his avatar and it's worse than mine was!" How do you even respond to personal taste?

You can't. So either you stick to static avatars or you just let everyone have whatever psychedelic 420 blaze it avatar they want.

Clipjoint

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Animated avatars are too easy to abuse by the biggest attention seekers. Culturally, it sends a bad message. I vote no.

Kripton

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As long as you can choose if you want to see or not the animations its fine by me.
If the first image of a GIF image is really bad at least it was my fault, if i really want to see someone's GIF i can always turn it back on again.
I dont see any disadvantage with that option tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
There we go. PERFECT.

Please respect my individually, you can't police personal taste without running into conflicting rule enforcement. Welcome to the new ERA.
(For demonstration purposes only. I'll shoot my avatar in the head shortly, I can't take this shit either.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.