• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think animated avatars should be a thing? (Hint: it already is)

• Yea

• Nay

• Dont Care either way

• Let people choose if they want to see animates avatars or not in Preferences

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the majority of animated avatars were asian girls mugging for the camera on the old forum before animation was taken away.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
I assume this is more a bandwidth issue than anything, no? Sure you could allow externally hosted avatars, but then you couldn't really enforce rules as efficiently. But yeah if money allows, letting people disable/enable the feature at their own accord seems like the better option.

(Also hi guys, I just got approved :D!)

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There we go. PERFECT.

Please respect my individually, you can't police personal taste without running into conflicting rule enforcement. Welcome to the new ERA.
(For demonstration purposes only. I'll shoot my avatar in the head shortly, I can't take this shit either.)

Remove your avatar please.

Oct 27, 2017
If animated avatars are allowed, I would hope there can at least be a ban on ones that are quick flashing images, since that may not be great for anyone here with epilepsy.

edit: lol, what timing.

Oct 25, 2017
Remove your avatar please.
Done.

vWeRJ_s-200x150.gif

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this is more a bandwidth issue than anything, no? Sure you could allow externally hosted avatars, but then you couldn't really enforce rules as efficiently. But yeah if money allows, letting people disable/enable the feature at their own accord seems like the better option.

(Also hi guys, I just got approved :D!)

It's the same size limit for all avatars. 50kb.

Oct 26, 2017
California
Whoa ok. Please don't change them. I see no harm in them and if you want yours to be static, you can do it. Don't limit the rest of us who want animated avatars.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Too distracting. We're simply wired to notice movement and pay attention to it. Of course, I'm fine with optional but if it's one or the other, then I'm strongly against.

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely can't stand any forum with animated avatars. Let me turn them off now, please, they are literally hurting my eyes.

Last edited:

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So animated avatars bother some posters so much, they're intentionally making shit, possibly seizure inducing avatars to ruin the fun for other posters?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Give an option to disable it in preferences or don't allow it at all. Normally I'm not against "fun" but it's really distracting to scroll through a page and have a couple animated avatars drawing your attention away from the posts.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As much as I would like to have one myself, I must imagine it would add a lot of extra strain on the servers.

At such an early stage of this forums life I wouldn't think it was a good idea to drive costs up for something that would only be cool and not a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.