• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think animated avatars should be a thing? (Hint: it already is)

• Yea

• Nay

• Dont Care either way

• Let people choose if they want to see animates avatars or not in Preferences

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but they have to go it's way too distracting and annoying. A friend told me the steam thread looked like a nightclub and while funny, he wasn't wrong.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I would like to have one myself, I must imagine it would add a lot of extra strain on the servers.

At such an early stage of this forums life I wouldn't think it was a good idea to drive costs up for something that would only be cool and not a necessity.

CountAntonius You should put the fact that all avatars have the same 50kb size limit in the OP.

Raiku

Oct 25, 2017
California, USHeyHey!

14197.jpg

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I would like to have one myself, I must imagine it would add a lot of extra strain on the servers.

At such an early stage of this forums life I wouldn't think it was a good idea to drive costs up for something that would only be cool and not a necessity.
The strain of animated avatars is that same of static ones as they're limited to 50KBs the same

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
CountAntonius You should put the fact that all avatars have the same 50kb size limit in the OP.
Well that's good to hear.

If it doesn't cause any server problems then I say go for it, I mean you can always have a setting to disable them for those who are against.

Of course this all depends on current plans and resources, like I said before I wouldn't want to add even more work on the good people working on our new home.

SilentFlyer

Oct 26, 2017
I am not really bothered by them at all. Like in the poll, let there be an option for people to enable or disable it. Win-win for all.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
So much disinformation
Animated avatars are under the same size limit of static avatars so it changhes NOTHING to server strain and data usage

I do imagine the actual constant rendering of the animations would be a pain for mobile users when it comes to battery/older phones. But I agree in that maybe people should take a minute to realize the 50kb cap is a hard one.

I think an option is the best choice. They're harmless fun if its not forced on anyone.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I voted Nay on animated avatars.
I don't want this forum to start looking like other certain forums with anime bouncing bosoms and Overwatch T&A. It's distracting and annoying. I also don't want to have to disable avatars completely just to keep animated avatars out of my browsing experience.

Last edited:

sourbeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aww here
I mean, as long as intentionally obnoxious stuff isn't being used (seizure inducing, ravey/flashing images, nsfw stuff, etc), I don't mind others choosing to use a gif for their online face. Some are pretty cool.

An opt out policy is always nice, too. :)

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do imagine the actual constant rendering of the animations would be a pain for mobile users when it comes to battery/older phones.
In an absolute sense there indeed is an additional computational overhead, but considering how limited these gif avatars are the impact on battery life is negligible

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I voted Nay on animated avatars.
I don't want this forum to start looking like other certain forums with anime bouncing bosoms and Overwatch T&A. It's distracting and annoying.
I honestly don't think that is the type of crowd we have here. Those types of icons would be so out of place that one would be ashamed to use it... I would hope.

Fireclad

Oct 27, 2017
The Void
I'm okay with them. Then again I assisted in the mass flood of bouncing ponies a few years back, sooooo...

Personally, I'm going to be sticking to a static image for a while.

I like the idea of an option in the settings to disable them, though. A much more nuanced and personalized approach is probably more sensible direction to take the forum in, though.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I like this, subtle is everything.

I just wish I could figure out how to slow mine done without increasing the size.

If you have photoshop it's easy to adjust the time length per frame. Adjusting that instead of adding more frames keeps the file size from bloating.

1502x1.4hxk8l.gif

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
In an absolute sense there indeed is an additional computational overhead, but considering how limited these gif avatars are the impact on battery life is negligible

If a poster uses 100ppp and theres 80 animated avatars on that page, then I'd imagine there'd be some real noticable difference. Compound that over reading page after page. Even if you take it down to 20-30 people, I'd imagine it'd add up. The point is, its more than non, for something that should be a basic text forum.

That said I'm still pro option. I already really like some of the ones I've seen and I do think they allow people to have some cool artistic expression.

It was actually funny reading the first page when he said that but had already changed it to that avatar, then seeing his other two posts at the middle and end of the page where he slowly changed his mind.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a poster uses 100ppp and theres 80 animated avatars on that page, then I'd imagine there'd be some real noticable difference.
But on the phone on the screen you have at most 5 avatars at once (and that's in the worst case scenario of having many very short posts in a row), and the ones offcreen aren't being played for efficiency purposes

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, well my current avatar is 37kb, so I should be able to make that, I think.

What is the best (free) way to make an animated avatar?

edit: while I prefer static pictures nowadays, I minor non-distracting animation is fine.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I *love* having an animated avatar but it makes reading the site annoying moreso on mobile. I'd rather live without them and have a clean viewing experience.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
If a poster uses 100ppp and theres 80 animated avatars on that page, then I'd imagine there'd be some real noticable difference. Compound that over reading page after page. Even if you take it down to 20-30 people, I'd imagine it'd add up. The point is, its more than non, for something that should be a basic text forum.

If someone's that worried about battery life they would probably have images disabled already (on GAF). Much larger GIFs are posted everywhere. 100ppp isn't even an option yet.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
If they're optional, I think the default should be "off". They way non-members browsing the forum aren't negatively affected, users are more mindful that a lot of people will see the first frame of their gifs, and enjoying them becomes a perk of membership.

Otherwise my vote is "no". They're just distracting and aesthetically unpleasant to me.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once the place is monetized I feel like the discussion is more warranted. As is now, there's NO god damn way this is sustainable as far as server costs and I really really hope the admin team has actionable plans for generating revenue for this place.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm against animated avatars. They seem to be just invitation for people to show off random pointless animations, as opposed to having a static picture which will only be used to identify the poster at first glance. Like "post a small reply so people will see my cool avatar" doesn't need to become a thing.

I don't want to see little stuff blinking when were trying to read the content of the post.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with them as long as they aren't flashing colors at me and trying to give me a seizure. An option to not display animated gifs would be a good fix, but if not I guess we'll have to settle for no gifs.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should I keep the changing avatars gimmick or just go animated with all the avatars...?

Hmm...

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once the place is monetized I feel like the discussion is more warranted. As is now, there's NO god damn way this is sustainable as far as server costs and I really really hope the admin team has actionable plans for generating revenue for this place.
Again, they have the exact same load for the servers as regular avatars do since the size limit is the same.

Christine

Oct 25, 2017
Gone
I never missed the animated avatars, that was a good change. The only down side was losing the rotating avatars, where people had them outside hosted on a server with a script to pull up one of a set, so the poster would have a different av every time you loaded a page. Those were neat.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
It's really distracting. Please allow us to turn animated ones off.
Else I will start blocking them, which is what I'm doing right now actually. Sorry all of you above, I am never looking at your avatars!

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with them as long as they aren't flashing colors at me and trying to give me a seizure. An option to not display animated gifs would be a good fix, but if not I guess we'll have to settle for no gifs.

The option would be good so the members can decide for themselves, I don't mind either way myself. It would be nice for those who want it though

Status
Not open for further replies.