• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
SFV has the best animation in the fighting genre, Zeku is Capcom showing off their master class work (in design, theme, gameplay and animation)

You appreciate Capcom's excellence when seeing Injustice 2 after it (that game's horrible animations killed it for me)

Oct 25, 2017
While I think GG Xrd is the best looking fighter overall, and IJ2 looks better than SFV graphically, there's no question that SFV has the best animation in the genre.

Oct 25, 2017
The extra animations after special moves makes the ending of a round look better and more alive. Considering rounds end with special moves frequently, they aren't just there not to ever be seen outside of training mode.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why it is, but SFV reminds me so much of SF3 - the aesthetics, etc

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No Ed? He's got lots of great little pump up animations on almost all his attack ends.

But yeah they really kicked it up this season.

Greenzxy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Season 1 animation I thought were flawlessly done in terms of poses, weight, and smoothness.
Season 2, while I feel the animations are a bit more creative, it definitely needs polish. Like it's either some of the poses are a bit too stiff(i.e. Kolin, ed, Zeku character select animation), or it's wobbly with ligaments flailing (i.e Zangief season 2.5 grabs, Zeku walk back and forth animation).

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 animation I thought were flawlessly done in terms of poses, weight, and smoothness.
Season 2, while I feel the animations are a bit more creative, it definitely needs polish. Like it's either some of the poses are a bit too stiff(i.e. Kolin, ed, Zeku character select animation), or it's wobbly with ligaments flailing (i.e Zangief season 2.5 grabs, Zeku walk back and forth animation).
s2 character's poses feel stiff? What?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The only thing SFV lacks over SF3 is animated fabric. If they can some how get clothes to flow with the movement the way it does in SF3... lord...
Even the same moves from SF4 look dozens of times better in SF5.

Greenzxy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
s2 character's poses feel stiff? What?
Yea, It's definietly something I want to address when I have the time to give more thorough examples

But just small stuff for now of what I'm talking about:

Kolins head and arms sort of pop in place, so animation has a bit of jerkiness
https://youtu.be/UGHGrp6KNag?t=21s

Zeku's upper torso not animating when he moves his arms at :18-:20
https://youtu.be/8BakUhR19ng?t=19s

Abigail jab animation, body doesn't really follow through as much as he should when he jabs.
https://youtu.be/vlF7aGrdrsw?t=17s

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder how I ever loved SF4's art direction now SF5 exists and does everything so much better.
There's so many slick throw animations in this game. (this doesn't mean it's time to post air cammy gif!)

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, It's definietly something I want to address when I have the time to give more thorough examples

Abigail jab animation, body doesn't really follow through as much as he should when he jabs.
I think you're seeing things. I'm not seeing anything like what you're describing. In fact I think the s2 characters are the best animated ones in the entire game

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing about the game by far. Masterful as always, Capcom. And glad that you mentioned the camerawork, they did a superb job with that as well.

Greenzxy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not seeing it either. Zeku in particular looks like one of the best animated characters in the entire game.

I think you're seeing things. I'm not seeing anything like what you're describing. In fact I think the s2 characters are the best animated ones in the entire game

Like I've said, in terms of creativity, I think season 2 nails it well. In terms of the technical aspect, like animation arcs not being properly smoothed out. weight being less emphasized than before, etc, it doesn't hold a candle to season 1. I'll go into detail later, it's something you have to have an eye for.

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM

I don't see it but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know, it looks like it's animating to me. He's moving his upper torso very slowly but the movement is there.

This is intentional. He's a literal giant so his lights are extremely wimpy looking to play up how effortlessly strong he is. It's why one of his grabs is a fingerflick that sends the opponent flying.

Speaking of which, do later characters have that awesome Heavy Block Recovery animation that the initial cast had? Like instead of a blocked Heavy attack completing it's animation normally like every other fighting game there was a special animation that intuitively told the blocker that this is a move you can punish. I know they cut down on that in season 1 which made people think the animation budget went down. But Season 2 indicates that's definitely not the case because the characters are filled with tons of unnecessary, cancellable recovery animations that no one will see in competitive matches. It's crazy how much time and effort they are spending on little flourishes most people won't ever see.

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know, it looks like it's animating to me. He's moving his upper torso very slowly but the movement is there.

This is intentional. He's a literal giant so his lights are extremely wimpy looking to play up how effortlessly strong he is. It's why one of his grabs is a fingerflick that sends the opponent flying.

Speaking of which, do later characters have that awesome Heavy Block Recovery animation that the initial cast had? Like instead of a blocked Heavy attack completing it's animation normally like every other fighting game there was a special animation that intuitively told the blocker that this is a move you can punish. I know they cut down on that in season 1 which made people think the animation budget went down. But Season 2 indicates that's definitely not the case because the characters are filled with tons of unnecessary, cancellable recovery animations that no one will see in competitive matches. It's crazy how much time and effort they are spending on little flourishes most people won't ever see.
i dunno. haven't paid attention

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I come from 3D fighters and I'm constantly blown away by how SFV has the best fight animations the genre has ever seen. It's why I'm really excited to see Sagat, Honda, Fei Long, Elena, Makoto or pretty much anyone else with a real fighting style because the animations are just such a joy to watch.

This is my read on that animation as well.

But Season 2 indicates that's definitely not the case because the characters are filled with tons of unnecessary, cancellable recovery animations that no one will see in competitive matches. It's crazy how much time and effort they are spending on little flourishes most people won't ever see.
I think they're mostly for when you get a KO with one of those moves. They play out in full in those scenarios.

Greenzxy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Don't be fooled, his upper pecs moves a bit, probably due to the muscle system they have in place, but from the lower abs to lower chest, there's no movement going on, so it appears robotic when it's played out.

Right, but that shouldn't be an excuse for stiff posing. There could've been done much more to the pose like twisting his upper relative to where his right pec is. Right now it's way too robotic and doesn't look as dynamic as it should.
I doubt capcom is going to make any further adjustments now, since people seem to be giving them praise rather than calling them out on stuff like this.

I'm probably going to be doing some draw overs and more examples hopefully this weekend, if not then the next, to give a better understanding of what to look for.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Of S2 Akuma and Kolin have it on a single move each. S1 I'm not really sure to be honest.

Quite a difference compared to Ryu who has that thing on three moves. He's the only one like that. The second character revealed, Chun Li has none. Not sure what's with the randomness, clearly they aren't skimping on animation. I guess it depends on which animations it may look right and not. Or on the animator's whim!

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No Ed? He's got lots of great little pump up animations on almost all his attack ends.

But yeah they really kicked it up this season.

Yep Ed also has something similar to Zeku. I'm trying to play Ed these days, so here are some Ed gifs.

dRa6zEJ.gif
2DsLOEN.gif

0C3Asgl.gif
EYoPqPD.gif

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thread, really is the best out there

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
It's so nice to have a SFV thread that isn't full of hatred and negative rants about how the game plundered and destroyed their village. :)

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the animation is handled in-house, some models/DLC costumes are outsourced.

Gren

Oct 27, 2017
I love how every single character has a little extra animation sequence during their idle stance. Does absolutely nothing for the game, but it's fun to see.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Huh didn't know there was so much appreciation for the animation of SFV. Clipping aside, the animation move as smooth as butter. Things definitely got better with season 2's characters, especially Menat and Zeku.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
I'll probably get stoned for it, but I have something like 200 hours in the game and I feel too much animations per moves hurt the game feeling. A lot of moves are not "snappy" enough and often feel sluggish because of the work on the animations. Alpha 3 has way less animation-frames per moves and it feels way more snappier too me thanks to it and not just because of the speed of the game.

Groof

Oct 26, 2017
I FUCKING LOVE THIS THREAD OOOUUUUHHHHSSS

this is the type of shit that got me hooked on 3s back in the day

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's true this game has overall sick ass graphics and alot of it is down the the animation. It doesn't get enough credit.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this supremely awesome thread. Thank you for this. SFV has very possibly the best overall animation of any game I've ever seen. AE hype!

Dec 29, 2017
The animation in the game is top notch. Everything moves so fluidly. I'd give it a 10/10 if it wasn't for the horrible clipping issues for the characters clothes and hair. Is that fixed on PC?