• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been impressed with the high quality animation of SFV, not just in sheer smoothness and variety but also sometimes in it's rather extravagant and seemingly pointless detail, which is at times only implemented to add to the personality of its characters. I occasionally make gifs and share them with the SFV community, but I kinda wanted to make a thread of its own when I started playing the latest character, Zeku. I'm not an animator or an expert or anything, I just really appreciate how SFV looks and the work and care the animators put into it.

Zeku
Now here Capcom went above and beyond. Zeku strikes a totally needless pose after most attacks, and they're all different from each other. Not only that, but this character can turn into a young version of himself, which gives him entirely new attacks and again entirely different animation. Most of these poses can usually be immediately cancelled by another move before they even start so you usually never even see them.
VPSVq9J.gif
RLEBpid.gif

qeRYBKu.gif
z0e2DJa.gif

This is the kind of stuff SFV is honestly littered with.

One of the other great things about the animation of SFV is how the moves just look they're hitting hard as a train, there's a real sense of impact. And the game does all this while being easy to read and follow at the same time.

Guile
Take Guile for instance, much of his moveset is lifted directly from the very original SF2, which means simple-looking moves. Despite not being crazy looking or anything, a palpable sense of force is behind every punch and kick. Also notice the subtle hair movement and his facial expressions, they certainly add to the impact of each attack.
Zhr9Rji.gif
G764FkP.gif

QBpeZ91.gif
OZ8L6QL.gif

Just look at the realistic feet movement in the last one.

Menat
Another character I want to highlight is Menat. Anyone who has played her know she's gorgeously animated, but one funny thing is that some of her moves go by so fast you can barely notice the work that went into them.
YFBlLFW.gif
A10u9jv.gif

Here they are again at half-framerate.
LHt1Z0Y.gif
yKUJgPL.gif

Most of her moves are just pretty to look at, especially the cloth physics on her shawl and how smoothly she handles her floating crystal ball.
rvSrEZV.gif
BmEMoPr.gif

HjiNlq9.gif
rSTQhfp.gif

Camerawork
There's also some excellent camerawork when doing a few special moves. The motions are super smooth, and the cuts are timed just right. Everything is done in the most unobtrusive manner, but yet still exciting to watch. Notice the detail of how Mika almost crumples under Ken's weight in the first gif. Despite being impossible moves, everything looks just right.
hPEsywM.gif

O7PaIn2.gif

And lastly just a few gifs showing how the combination of animation, special effects, hitstop and subtle camera shaking work together the provide a tangible sense of impact. Before any pros bite my head off, I some of these are not real combos. :P
5TYVDGh.gif

xUU9Pgx.gif

yBhTsOB.gif

Ip41yMn.gif

You can also see some fantastic hit reactions in there, there's a lot variety there, depending on the location and direction of the hits.

Bonus gif:
sghY50y.gif

Last edited:

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
I don't dig this game, but Street Fighter has always had incredible animation!

I remember the credits of Super Street Fighter IV had all these animations from the game in slow motion and I was just blown away. I think you miss a lot of that during the actual gameplay, but when you see them up close it's astounding.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
There doesn't seem to be less effort put into animations with post launch characters either. Menat moves beautifully.
Capcom sometimes gets it right. Lol

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I know this may sound like hyperbole, but I feel like SFV is one of the best-animated fighting games out there period. Aside from Cammy's air grab, every animation in this game ranges from solid to godlike. Menat & Zeku in particular fall under the latter.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There doesn't seem to be less effort put into animations with post launch characters either. Menat moves beautifully.
Capcom sometimes gets it right. Lol

I know this may sound like hyperbole, but I feel like SFV is one of the best-animated fighting games out there period. Aside from Cammy's air grab, every animation in this game ranges from solid to godlike. Menat & Zeku in particular fall under the latter.

Yeah, I hated SFV but the animations were a joy to watch every time I played. There was a lot of love put into this aspect of the game.

birdieczptr.gif

Last edited:

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I really need to play this game more. Played SFIV religiously for the duration of its release, more than any other game during that time. Still play it to this day sometimes.

Main problem is the people who I played SFIV with didn't really get into SFV. I find the game to be a lot of fun, but having those people to play with was part of the experience.

I need to jump back in, especially with AE coming out.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh lmao I didn't even notice the ending to that gif. I just grabbed the first Birdie booger gif off google. I was being sincere in my post

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I have a ton of complaints about the game but the animation work is certainly not one of them. Menat's walking animation is the best work Capcom's artists have done since animating Hsien-Ko.

GFdoom

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The animation in here is top notch. I like the suttle limb shakes when characters throw out punches and kicks.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Great GIF's OP. I think I am going to hop back onto the Street Fighter train when the Arcade Edition launches next year.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom really needs to release a demo on PSN/Steam when Arcade Edition hits. Not a timed beta, but an actual demo everyone has access to (and not PS Plus exclusive). More people need to experience the game themselves.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
King of Fighters XIII also had this in a way.
Terry would fix his hat after doing a Crack Sho(o)t for example.

Guilty Gear Xrd also has such elements. Like take Kum's crouching animation. Just the animation for crouching.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese devs have a way of animating characters that just destroys what western devs can do. I'm sorry to be a weeaboo, but it's true. No western dev can make exaggerated and cartoony animations with a sense of impact like this.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew this would be a jett thread ;)

The animation is some of the best in not only fighters but this generation IMO.

tenor.gif

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I cannot wait for Arcade Edition and I really hope it persuades two of my friends into trying SFV out.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
While I do have some issues with the aesthetic trappings of the game, how well those elements are animated is actually pretty difficult to deny. It seems like something they focused on after some felt that IV was lacking in flourish (this post comes to mind), and so the characters are just alive with... well, character.

Oct 25, 2017
Literally in the middle of making the same thread. Street Fighter V gets so much shit, but it completely crushes other fighters in this department.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
The quality of the art in general has gotten alot better as the DLC goes on. The story mode art isn't even "THAT BAD" for the DLC characters. The animations, character models, and stages are all looking great.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While I do have some issues with the aesthetic trappings of the game, how well those elements are animated is actually pretty difficult to deny. It seems like something they focused on after some felt that IV was lacking in flourish (this post comes to mind), and so the characters are just alive with... well, character.
It's such a huge step-up from SFIV in that regard. All that's left is to cut down on the clipping, improve the modeling for some of the characters (Ex: Ken's hair), & make the clothing animations more fluid (Ex: Ryu's gi flowing back when he's throwing a Shinku Hadoken in SFIII, MvC3, & MvCI).

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's hands down the best animated fighting game. For me, it's part of the reason why it's such a joy to watch competitively as well.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
It's such a huge step-up from SFIV in that regard. All that's left is to cut down on the clipping, improve the modeling for some of the characters (Ex: Ken's hair), & make the clothing animations more fluid (Ex: Ryu's gi flowing back when he's throwing a Shinku Hadoken in SFIII, MvC3, & MvCI).

The clothing and hair animations don't hold up to the rest of SFV's animations because it's all handled by UE4 physics (UE4 is also why we got the clipping). They would need to remove all of the dynamic clothing and hair physics and key all of those animations in to fix them.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The clothing and hair animations don't hold up to the rest of SFV's animations because it's all handled by UE4 physics (UE4 is also why we got the clipping). They would need to remove all of the dynamic clothing and hair physics and key all of those animations in to fix them.
Didn't they do that for Marvel (mostly, the clothing animations seem to be done by physics when a character in MvCI is KO'd)?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, can't argue with the in-match animations in this game. Easily the best.

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly agree that the animations in SF V are incredible, but I personally don't really like Zeku all that much. He feels overanimated, and gives the impression of his moves being slow because of that. It lacks some impact.

That's just from watching the trailer, though, I didn't actually play with him to see if that impression goes away during an actual match, but in the trailer it felt off.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly agree that the animations in SF V are incredible, but I personally don't really like Zeku all that much. He feels overanimated, and gives the impression of his moves being slow because of that. It lacks some impact.

That's just from watching the trailer, though, I didn't actually play with him to see if that impression goes away during an actual match, but in the trailer it felt off.

Probably just a trailer thing. His moves feel extremely satisfying in the game.

Hounds

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this being one of the best 3D animated games out there. Its a return to for in animation to the excellence that was SF3. Compared to SFIV, this game lost a bit of speed but the animations added a sense of weight that gives the fights a real sense of impact and power. A lot of the characters also have special animations for when there hard hitting normals are blocked. Instead of following through as usual, the attacks collide with the blocking opponent and the impact is very visible. Its all great stuff actually.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

The kata he does after attacks can be canceled if you just move. They're not actual recovery frames. They are basically idle animations.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably just a trailer thing. His moves feel extremely satisfying in the game.
I guess I'll find out in the Arcade Edition. Getting kind of excited for it.

I hope I can learn to play Karin on pad.

The kata he does after attacks can be canceled if you just move. They're not actual recovery frames. They are basically idle animations.

Oh, I know, I mean the actual startup and active frames.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, the feel of the game is fantastic. I quit after I plateaued and am sometimes want to jump back in with my scrub Necalli but I think I'd just get bodied by Eds and Zekus and Abigails with no end to it.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yep, the feel of the game is fantastic. I quit after I plateaued and am sometimes want to jump back in with my scrub Necalli but I think I'd just get bodied by Eds and Zekus and Abigails with no end to it.
You can always jump in the SFV OT & train with some of us so you can improve.

As the others have said, you can cancel out of those animations. But I do understand your complaint about movement for the sake of it, as it's something that has bothered me about NRS games' animations (especially their idle animations).

I agree with this being one of the best 3D animated games out there. Its a return to for in animation to the excellence that was SF3. Compared to SFIV, this game lost a bit of speed but the animations added a sense of weight that gives the fights a real sense of impact and power. A lot of the characters also have special animations for when there hard hitting normals are blocked. Instead of following through as usual, the attacks collide with the blocking opponent and the impact is very visible. Its all great stuff actually.
Speaking of which, I did notice that they started to bring back the blocked-attack animations for some of the characters in Season 2 (Akuma being a prime example).