• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That brings up my past assertion that they always have one eye on the domestic audience for better or worse. Banjo and Steve got in because of their popularity in Japan and even Banjo's reveal was accompanied by a character that resonates more with the Japanese audience.

Yeah Nintendo as a company typically operates with the belief that the Japanese market is still very important and bases a lot of their decisions around that. Sakurai himself has gone on the record that he likes to use Smash to promote Japanese franchises in an age where western games tend to sell better globally. Sometimes you get a character like Little Mac who is practically unknown to Japanese audiences but it's very rare.

Last edited:

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Two points:

2) My other curiosity is whether or not people of Chinese descent felt they were represented by Min Min. I think that's important in the critique.

Well, if I'm just speaking for myself, I think Min Min is a cool character. I really appreciate that the Arms team gave her a decidely chinese flair - with her name, her clothing style and the graphic details, the food, her eyeshapes, and she speaks chinese (with a japanese accent). The fact that her silly noodle hair is blond, at least to me, is not a huge dealbreaker to accept her as chinese.
It might surprise Westerners but chinese people also have modern technology like electricity and hairdye ;)
And even if she was a danish girl that just really likes chinese noodles, I still think it's a cool chinese representation.

What is also interesting is that she's one of the few characters in the roster that are actually tied to a specific "nationality". You've got Mario&Luigi (italian), Ryu & Joker (jap.), Terry, Snake & Ness (USA). I don't know if Simon and Richter are supposed to be romanian? Anyway, I think she's cool.

Having said that, Twintelle would have been an awesome addition as well. OP is completely right with this thread, and it's frustrating to see A, how Nintendo has handled this and B, how few black skinned characters would be available in the first place. When it comes to black characters, Smash is really the symptom of four decades of compounded neglect and ignorance at Nintendo, but also in the whole industry. And I guess if you look at four decades worth of IP at other longtime publishers, be it Sega, Atari, Sony, Microsoft, Capcom etcp, it's probably not gonna look much better.
Videogames have a long way to go.

Deleted member 53933

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2019
User banned (permanent): Troll account
Threads like this almost make me wish I had voted for Donald fucking Trump. For heaven's sake, get out of your echo chambers; Maybe read a book, or visit another country and talk to its people. I do not know what you guys need to do, but it's clear that your brains have rotted.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Threads like this almost make me wish I had voted for Donald fucking Trump. For heaven's sake, get out of your echo chambers; Maybe read a book, or visit another country and talk to its people. I do not know what you guys need to do, but it's clear that your brains have rotted.
"You want a black character in smash!? Now I wish I had voted for a racist fascist, that would learn ya!"

lmao weak.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if I'm just speaking for myself, I think Min Min is a cool character. I really appreciate that the Arms team gave her a decidely chinese flair - with her name, her clothing style and the graphic details, the food, her eyeshapes, and she speaks chinese (with a japanese accent). The fact that her silly noodle hair is blond, at least to me, is not a huge dealbreaker to accept her as chinese.
It might surprise Westerners but chinese people also have modern technology like electricity and hairdye ;)
And even if she was a danish girl that just really likes chinese noodles, I still think it's a cool chinese representation.

What is also interesting is that she's one of the few characters in the roster that are actually tied to a specific "nationality". You've got Mario&Luigi (italian), Ryu & Joker (jap.), Terry, Snake & Ness (USA). I don't know if Simon and Richter are supposed to be romanian? Anyway, I think she's cool.

Having said that, Twintelle would have been an awesome addition as well. OP is completely right with this thread, and it's frustrating to see A, how Nintendo has handled this and B, how few black skinned characters would be available in the first place. When it comes to black characters, Smash is really the symptom of four decades of compounded neglect and ignorance at Nintendo, but also in the whole industry. And I guess if you look at four decades worth of IP at other longtime publishers, be it Sega, Atari, Sony, Microsoft, Capcom etcp, it's probably not gonna look much better.
Videogames have a long way to go.

Thank you; I appreciate you taking the time to provide your perspective :)

Also, if I'm to be super biased and on topic, I'd prefer Marina over any other choice mentioned since she looks like she would fit my personal playstyle :P

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
If they cared they could have added a black character. Thing is japanese creators generally don't care about representation in terms of race. I couldn't name you 5 black main characters in manga. Out of what 50k manga and we got maybe like 4 that I'm aware of?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

That sure is a 10th post

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
This thread really rusttled your jimmies enough to make you dig out this two year-old account that only just reached 10 posts?

Bye.

Super_queijo

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Well, Smash Bros is a compendium of (mainly) the japanese videogame industry, so it's predictable that the outcome is a "not black" roster, it's wrong to say that the roster is mostly white when they are japanese videogame characters, it's the same as saying that anime characters are white (unless stated otherwise, Link, for example, isn't white, because he doesn't come from this world).
Should Smash have more representation? That's a question that, at least in my view, is more in line with the USA black racism issue, which is not only singular in it's issues than the rest of the world (and I will give the example of Brazil, where I live, that even though we have some similarites when the subject is racism, we live in a all togheter different reality than in the US, so our racism conjuncture is another beast, brazilian black movements do give a damm about representation in movies and TV, but in a japanese videogame? Not at all), even more different in Japan, where this issue is much less present (not saying there isn't black racism in Japan, but the police doesn't kill people because of their skin color, like in the US and Brazil).
Tldr: you are creating an issue that is unilateraly an US view of the black racism issue, that is diferent in Japan, so it doesn't make sense to point fingers at Nintendo for not seeing the issue as you do

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
For a lot of people Ultimate is seen as a living history book for video games and I still think that is true. But it is baffling to see how white washed and male oriented the game is. Sure it doesn't talk about the whole of gaming. There are so many indie games with more diverse set of characters taking a lead in the story. I hope that in the future entries within Smash, if a new ones joins, we have more diversity within the roster. Cause it is something I do miss. Tho, I think FP2 has been better already.
If Smash is seen as a history book of gaming, it's one of the worst ones you could imagine. For starters, it obviously only covers games that were on Nintendo platforms, and even then it's a very specific curation of that history.
Smash is a tribute to mostly corporate driven, white washed and male section of gaming.
I love Smash, but that's the truth, IMO. Smash should not be seen as a history book of gaming, that's just Nintendo marketing talking.

Threads like these really hello to illustrates how this is not true, and that we should never expect a view of gaming history that is so white.

Oct 27, 2017
Post on your main account, you coward.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
10 posts.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
A thread about Smash and blackness really causes all the Status Quo Defenders to come out of the woodwork. Almost like they were triggered, or something.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Other Japanese fighting games are probably all so diverse because they pretty much all follow the plot of Enter The Dragon -- a bunch of fighters of different styles from all over the world coming together in a mysterious competition. I don't know if anyone else in this thread had pointed that out.

I know Mortal Kombat was directly inspired by ETD but I don't know if Street Fighter 1 and 2 also took inspiration from it. I wouldn't be surprised if they had, I know there was some influence from 80's or possibly 70's movies there. SF2 established the motif of fighting games being about international competition.

The common thread I see between Smash and the other fighting games that have this problem, like Dragon Ball or Persona Arena or something, is that they're adaptations of or use material from other media franchises that don't have that grounding in international competition. Thus they become reflections of the whiteness of other popular media, which gets starkly contrasted with original fighting game franchises.

The best option for Smash if you ask me is to probably just import black characters from other fighting games. It already has Street Fighter and SNK characters. Why not Tekken characters?

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
Well, Smash Bros is a compendium of (mainly) the japanese videogame industry, so it's predictable that the outcome is a "not black" roster, it's wrong to say that the roster is mostly white when they are japanese videogame characters, it's the same as saying that anime characters are white (unless stated otherwise, Link, for example, isn't white, because he doesn't come from this world).
Should Smash have more representation? That's a question that, at least in my view, is more in line with the USA black racism issue, which is not only singular in it's issues than the rest of the world (and I will give the example of Brazil, where I live, that even though we have some similarites when the subject is racism, we live in a all togheter different reality than in the US, so our racism conjuncture is another beast, brazilian black movements do give a damm about representation in movies and TV, but in a japanese videogame? Not at all), even more different in Japan, where this issue is much less present (not saying there isn't black racism in Japan, but the police doesn't kill people because of their skin color, like in the US and Brazil).
Tldr: you are creating an issue that is unilateraly an US view of the black racism issue, that is diferent in Japan, so it doesn't make sense to point fingers at Nintendo for not seeing the issue as you do
I agree with your observation that it seemes that equality fight in the USA has a somewhat important, and unique, aspect in the equality of representation in the media/TV/Movies. I am also trying to understand this tendency.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I agree with your observation that it seemes that equality fight in the USA has a somewhat important, and unique, aspect in the equality of representation in the media/TV/Movies. I am also trying to understand this tendency.
That's actually rather dismissive. Racism against Black people exists all over the world, & the need for representation in media exists no matter where you are. It's not just specific to the US. No matter where you go, stuff like those racist spirits shouldn't be tolerated.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
Another great and comprehensive thread, Neoxon. Don't really have much to add, expect I hope there's some sort of left field pick to turn this around before the Fighter Pass is over. Maybe Shinobu can get in since Travis is almost assuredly deconfirmed.

Salute.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
ever since little mac made it in ive always wanted doc louis, doc is unassuming but a badass in the ring, especially if you deprive him of his vice

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
I agree with your observation that it seemes that equality fight in the USA has a somewhat important, and unique, aspect in the equality of representation in the media/TV/Movies. I am trying to understand this tendency.
That's actually rather dismissive. Racism against Black people exists all over the world, & the need for representation in media exists no matter where you are. It's not just specific to the US. No matter where you go, stuff like those racist spirits shouldn't be tolerated.
Not my intention to be dismisive, i apologize if it seems like that, i wrote i need to understand it...and if you will i need to listen, or to read and thread like these help me in this .
The Spirit aspect is absolutely wrong and i was nor refering to that( or to many other parts od your OP), i was replying to Super_queijo and his observation about representation in movies and TV .

Last edited:

Tekken

Banned
Mar 8, 2021
If they cared they could have added a black character. Thing is japanese creators generally don't care about representation in terms of race. I couldn't name you 5 black main characters in manga. Out of what 50k manga and we got maybe like 4 that I'm aware of?

Tekken had Eddie all the way back in 1998. Not only was he a character but he was in the demo and advertised heavily as being a major character.

I think it's just racism on Nintendo's part. No excuses.

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I love when you spill the tea.

I was just speaking to a friend about how Black characters are still an after thought and there's no reason for that. Not just this game, but the industry as a whole needs to do better by Black characters

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ever since little mac made it in ive always wanted doc louis, doc is unassuming but a badass in the ring, especially if you deprive him of his vice
Honestly I see people saying they could put Doc Louis in the game and what would he even be like? Mac is already unfairly super garbage in the air, are they going to just make him a heavier Mac and just even more incredibly crap in the air? Him getting in would be fun but like can they rework Mac too so we can have two characters that are fun to play as instead of two that will basically always be awful?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love the "racism doesn't exist outside the US" takes that always pop up whenever we have threads like this

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
When it comes to the talk about Min Min and Twintelle, Twintelle is just by far would have been a greater significant diversity choice, its not even close. I don't think it's even worth a diversity mention for Min min which seems more like a fusion between two cultures kind like the term Ramen in the first place. Asian developer choosing an Asian like character is about the safest choice they can make.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Honestly I see people saying they could put Doc Louis in the game and what would he even be like? Mac is already unfairly super garbage in the air, are they going to just make him a heavier Mac and just even more incredibly crap in the air? Him getting in would be fun but like can they rework Mac too so we can have two characters that are fun to play as instead of two that will basically always be awful?
nintendo gave a set of moves to fucking duck-hunt dog, they can figure it out

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
nintendo gave a set of moves to fucking duck-hunt dog, they can figure it out
I mean yeah, but I'm guessing he'd play like Mac be some kind of semi echo or whatever. I'm not arguing against it, I'm just saying if it happens please fix Mac too. Don't make both of em terrible air fighters please lol.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
When it comes to the talk about Min Min and Twintelle, Twintelle is just by far would have been a greater significant diversity choice, its not even close. I don't think it's even worth a diversity mention for Min min which seems more like a fusion between two cultures kind like the term Ramen in the first place. Asian developer choosing an Asian like character is about the safest choice they can make.
Like I said in the OP, let's not diminish the importance of Min Min being Smash's first Chinese character. It's a shame that she came at the cost of Twintelle, but Min Min is a great pick in her own right.

Super_queijo

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Not seeing the issue of a japanese videogame not having black characters isn't racism, because in Japan black racism is a very different thing than in the US. Yes, there's racism all over the world, but the issue have it's particularities in each country, because it's history is different in each place. You are being bothered by this fact (lack of black representation in Smash) because of your background, you need to understand that, in a different background, black racism and the fight against it can be very different depending of the place. It would be better if we learn the view of black japanese citizens about the issue.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I have a hunch that all you need to make a black character popular in Japan is to make him/her a Samurai.

Just a hunch

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not seeing the issue of a japanese videogame not having black characters isn't racism, because in Japan black racism is a very different thing than in the US. Yes, there's racism all over the world, but the issue have it's particularities in each country, because it's history is different in each place. You are being bothered by this fact (lack of black representation in Smash) because of your background, you need to understand that, in a different background, black racism and the fight against it can be very different depending of the place. It would be better if we learn the view of black japanese citizens about the issue.

Nintendo releases games worldwide, you get that, right? They're a massive international company with fans and consumers in countries all over the world. They aren't some tiny indie Japanese studio obsessed with Japanese culture. Their mascot is an Italian plumber. You're basically telling black people outside of Japan to go fuck themselves.

This is blatant concern trolling.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
He'd be awesome. He doesn't need to be an echo of Mac or anything. He can be his own character.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

One of the worst takes ever.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He'd be awesome. He doesn't need to be an echo of Mac or anything. He can be his own character.
This is true as well and what I'd hope for, I just don't want more characters that are as shitty as Mac in the air and I'm afraid that would happen to him if he were ever playable. What they did to my boy is just super disappointing.

Super_queijo

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Racist trolling over multiple posts, account in junior phase.
Nintendo releases games worldwide, you get that, right? They're a massive international company with fans and consumers in countries all over the world. They aren't some tiny indie Japanese studio obsessed with Japanese culture. Their mascot is an Italian plumber. You're basically telling black people outside of Japan to go fuck themselves.

This is blatant concern trolling.
I'm saying that you are consuming willingly the product of another country. Demanding they change it because of issues relating to specifics about your culture, instead of theirs, is a colonialistic mentality.
Edit: adding more, this delves into the "white savior" mentality, in which you are dictating other cultures views based on your own. It's very agressive.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm saying that you are consuming willingly the product of another country. Demanding they change it because of issues relating to specifics about your culture, instead of theirs, is a colonialistic mentality.

Saying Smash needs more black characters is not colonialist, lmao. Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

Edit: adding more, this delves into the "white savior" mentality, in which you are dictating other cultures views based on your own. It's very agressive.

Hey genius, we don't live in a culturally isolated society. In fact, quite the opposite. We live in a highly interconnected, intermixed, intercultural world. Japanese music and fashion borrows from black culture all the time but now putting black characters in Japanese games is colonialist. Not only is this concern trolling, it's blatant ethnonationalist talking points.

Dec 30, 2020
I would say this thread should really be the anti-blackness of the gaming industry in general. I tried to think of the most recent main-character black protagonists in games where you don't just make your own character and the only ones I can think of would be Alyx Vance from Half-Life: Alyx, Garcian Smith from Killer 7, and Dandara from.... Dandara.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how long it'll be until we get a new Smash game to actually get new characters since I don't see the last 2 characters for Ultimate being black. Something like this probably won't come to fruition for another 4 years or so is my guess.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I would say this thread should really be the anti-blackness of the gaming industry in general. I tried to think of the most recent main-character black protagonists in games where you don't just make your own character and the only ones I can think of would be Alyx Vance from Half-Life: Alyx, Garcian Smith from Killer 7, and Dandara from.... Dandara.
To defer all the blame to the industry is dismissive of the role Sakurai & Nintendo play in Smash's current situation. Yes, a solid chunk of the blame falls on the industry at large. But Sakurai & Nintendo could very well make the most of the options that exist regarding Black characters, & they choose not to. Like I said in the OP, we shouldn't have to wait for a magical Black main character to come along for us to get a Black character in Smash.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Saying Smash needs more black characters is not colonialist, lmao. Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

This is a franchise that literally had a ballot for who fans want to be in Smash Bros and then literally picked the character that won. This dude is so fucking full of shit it's unbelievable. Imagine calling someone's request for representation in a game of fan favourites colonialism.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how long it'll be until we get a new Smash game to actually get new characters since I don't see the last 2 characters for Ultimate being black. Something like this probably won't come to fruition for another 4 years or so is my guess.
Honestly, even if there was a new game I still don't have much hope for Nintendo not fucking it up again unless the company activelly makes new black protagonist/main characters in their first party games.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Unless say Nintendo introduces a black character to the Mario universe ( in line of the main cast ie rosalina or have a new IP starring a POC ( not just alternative skin ) I can't see it happening sadly especially for Fighter pass 2

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
What? Ah yeah, Japanese company Nintendo that only operates in that country and has no international presence, yeah. Alright.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

Weird ass take. Nintendo is a multinational company with headquarters all over the world, but yeah consumers are the colonizers. What complete nonsense.

Dec 30, 2020
To defer all the blame to the industry is dismissive of the role Sakurai & Nintendo play in Smash's current situation. Yes, a solid chunk of the blame falls on the industry at large. But Sakurai & Nintendo could very well make the most of the options that exist regarding Black characters, & they choose not to. Like I said in the OP, we shouldn't have to wait for a magical Black main character to come along for us to get a Black character in Smash.
No I mean, who's the big name character who'd be the first? Even someone like Shinobu from No More Heroes would always be joining AFTER Travis Touchdown. The three I mentioned are the ones I can think of that would be the big main draw/face of the game, and even Alyx would have the issue of Gordon Freeman likely dashing in first.

....Although Garcian Smith would be damn awesome if he can summon the rest of the Killer 7 mid gameplay.

Also, what would your opinion be on a non-black/non-human character, but one that was created by a majority BIPOC studio?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

You're the Japanese expert right?

How is it that you claim Japan has this "different background" of racism and the exact game being discussed contains examples of the age old monkey reference. Something rather originating from western white supremacy bullshit, and seeing how most anime depiction of black people have the stupid lips shit. Which also relates back to minstrel shows and other western bullshit.

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
meanwhile, guilty gear out here with darkish mixed race woman Giovanna and black samurai vampire nagoryuki for their two new characters. truly blessed