• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

The "Problem With Apu" discussion has generally died down by now, but I came across this hefty 45-minute video released a couple days ago that offers another counterpoint to the controversy. There are a few times where Max G indulges in his own brand of smug self-righteousness a little too much (though he at least seems to recognize this and lampshades it at certain points) but overall I thought it was a pretty decent defense of Apu that isn't dismissive or antagonistic towards Hari Kondabolu's take. The whole thing is entertaining and worth watching but here are a few of the points raised, roughly summarized:

• Contrary to being a negative stereotype, Apu is one of the most positively portrayed characters on the Simpsons, while still getting to express a varied range of emotions beyond "polite and servile".

• Having a goofy exaggerated accent is a trait intrinsic to cartoon characters as a whole, and being an Indian character voiced by a white man is no more offensive than the numerous other beloved characters voiced by people of a different race or nationality (Mario is Italian but voiced by a French guy, Samurai Jack is Asian but voiced by a black guy, etc).

• Apu being used as fodder for bullying is wrong, but blame should directed at the bullies rather than the character they chose to weaponize. "Never underestimate a bully's ability to find material to work with."

B B

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely trust this guy to lecture me about racial stereotypes

tumblr_inline_nrykl23vM31qisxf7_540.png

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
Ugh, even the exemple about samurai jack and Mario is icky.

Pretty sure he's also part of the anti sjw/feminist crowd.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't watched the video but even the bullet points in the OP are stupid. "Bullies are to blame". Nah.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why fans are trying to make earnest defences of the character when the show runners essentially called out the critics as easily-offended PC snowflakes. They ain't apologising for Apu so why is anyone else?

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
Max G: Why women can't be Ghostbusters.

Why would I listen to anything this man says?

He also has a video on zootopia and Moana.

OP you have to watch who you Stan for.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen a thread so deftly sabotaged. RIP OP, let this be a lesson how insidious the alt-right can be and how (possibly) good guys like you can get roped into stuff because of anti-SJW stuff.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely trust this guy to lecture me about racial stereotypes

tumblr_inline_nrykl23vM31qisxf7_540.png

Welp, didn't know about that. I still think the video is solid but as someone who has sworn off JonTron after his racist shenanigans I can't in good faith ask others to watch this video on its own merits when I wouldn't do the same.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
White guy tells us why Indian dudes are wrong when they tell us they're offended by Indian stereotypes

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
• Apu being used as fodder for bullying is wrong, but blame should directed at the bullies rather than the character they chose to weaponize. "Never underestimate a bully's ability to find material to work with."

• Having a goofy exaggerated accent is a trait intrinsic to cartoon characters as a whole, and being an Indian character voiced by a white man is no more offensive than the numerous other beloved characters voiced by people of a different race or nationality (Mario is Italian but voiced by a French guy, Samurai Jack is Asian but voiced by a black guy, etc).
So most people are going to rightfully talk about the shitbag that said all this stuff, because holy shit that guy sucks, but I wanted to address this.

It's on the bullies in part sure, but it is absolutely on the character for helping to spread shit, too. They knew as early on as the fugu fish episode that stereotyped accents/characters could be harmful and specifically worked with a Japanese-American actor to ensure it wasn't insensitive. They could have done that with Apu, but instead we got a lazy excuse of Apu being a reference to a film trilogy to cover for Hank Azaria doing a Peter Sellers voice.

When people started calling them out on it (including guest actors and writers who made reasonable suggestions for addressing the character without getting rid of him), they could have easily tried to make good on it and put the onus entirely on the shitty people who use him as a way to harass people. Instead, they doubled down and put a weakass wagon circling defense in the mouth of the character who would have otherwise been critical of it herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.