• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Link to Gizmodo Article

To the Stars Academy of Arts and Sciences (TTSA)—the UFO research organization founded by former Blink 182 star Tom DeLonge—has struck a research deal with the U.S. Army filled with eye-popping references to exotic technologies.

This week, the group announced that it had entered a "Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with the U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (CCDC) to advance TTSA's materiel and technology innovations in order to develop enhanced capabilities for Army ground vehicles." Officials at the CCDC's Ground Vehicle System Center subsequently confirmed to the Drive that such an agreement had been struck. The center did not immediately return Gizmodo's request for comment.

The document largely mirrors TTSA's claims to have made developments in "material science, space-time metric engineering, quantum physics, beamed energy propulsion, and active camouflage," and the Army's interest in "novel materials," but it does go into somewhat more detail. Towards the end of the document, the Army clearly states what it gains from conducting tests at "Government facilities" on TTSA's supposed tech:
If the Government can verify materiel solutions claims by the Collaborator, then significant advancements can be made in the capabilities of Army ground vehicle platforms in terms of security, force protection, and weight reduction.
The contract also states that TTSA's interest in the CRADA lies in obtaining third party assessments of how its technology performs in "Army ground vehicle environments and benchmark that capability against existing technology capabilities." It seems pretty clear cut this is an agreement in which the Army intends to vet that TTSA actually has something up its sleeve.

Then it gets really weird. The Army said the government is interested in everything from "inertial mass reduction" technology to "electromagnetic metamaterial wave guides" and "quantum communications":
Perform assessments, testing, and characterization of Collaborator-provided technologies. The Government is interested in a variety of the Collaborator's technologies, such as, but not limited to inertial mass reduction, mechanical/structural metamaterials, electromagnetic metamaterial wave guides, quantum physics, quantum communications, and beamed energy propulsion."
Further down in the document, the government lists "materiel technologies" that TTSA has agreed to provide, hinting that in addition to metamaterials, TTSA claims to have performed research on quantum communications and may possess prototypes of beamed energy propulsion vehicles and "active camouflage and directed photon projection" systems:
a) Metamaterial: Samples of mechanical and EM sensitive metamaterial collected, obtained, or developed as part of its Field Operations
b) Material Analysis: Written data, information, and analysis related to tested materials
c) Quantum Communication:
  1. Related research to-date on theories, studies, mathematical formulas, and protoypes
  2. Future developments, prototypes, and hardware associated with the specific quantum product
d) Beamed Energy Propulsion
  1. Launch vehicles, vehicle prototypes, and systems obtained or possessed
  2. Data associated with testing, developing, and improving persistence or stability of launch vehicles or launch systems
  3. Proposed application of these systems
e) Active Camouflage and Directed Photon Projection
  1. Projection systems
  2. Technology associated with these systems
  3. Material projection surfaces
  4. Proposed application of these systems
The document goes on to state that TTSA will "provide secure shipping of Collaborator technologies to the Government" (estimating the value of all items at $1 million), and that any testing or evaluation results will be shared with both parties.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
R5VTGqo.gif

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I think we're in the part of the simulation where the developer got really bored and stoned and just decided to start fucking around

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
If this stuff is real I would give my balls to study them. Who the hell do I have to get in touch with to look at this stuff, or where they got it from? Are they hiring? I'll take the hit to my reputation.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Well, I guess the Great Player finally installed the Weird & Wacky expansion pack. Bigfoot's probably going to emerge sometime soon and give an impromptu press conference to a group of 'squatch hunters filming their show for Animal Planet.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jason Colavito has been skeptical of TTSA and their metamaterial claims for a while and I see no reason yet to believe that this will turn out to be anything special. The government often throws money after wacky propositions (like the CIA and remote viewing).

I do want to point out that Communion author Whitley Streiber, who helped popularize alien anal probing three decades ago, offered a strange bit of confirmation for what I had long suspected about the so-called "alien metamaterials" that Tom DeLonge's To the Stars Academy of Arts and Science have been promoting as part of their recent effort to sell more stock. In a set of now-deleted tweets this weekend (links to them don't work and they no longer appear on his timeline), DeLonge claimed that the chunk of metal contained 80 layers of alternating bismuth, magnesium, and zinc and that his team cannot understand what is holding them together due to the lack of adhesive.

The chunk of metal that DeLonge has claimed to be part of an alien propulsion system—that chunk of layered bismuth and magnesium—is not a new piece of evidence but is actually part of the collection known as "Art's Parts," chunks of metallic slag sent to the late radio host Art Bell in 1996 and claimed to have been wreckage from the supposed Roswell UFO crash. This material was tested twenty years ago by different analysts. One found that it was likely industrial waste. Streiber's analyst thought that it was unexplainable but that all of the materials in it were earthly.

My guess is that anything unusual in its structure seems that way due to nobody bothering to study how metals settle in industrial waste since, by definition, it's waste that gets discarded. I can't say for sure, of course, but I can't help but think that recycling Art's Parts—and shearing them of the Roswell connection to amp up their imaginary credibility and value—is laughable. What makes it more hilarious is that Linda Moulton Howe, who now owns the rest of Art's Parts, confirmed a couple of weeks ago that To the Stars' VP Hal Puthoff actually tested these same chunks of metal twice before, in 1999 and 2011/2012 and did not find anything extraterrestrial, calling the results inconclusive at the time.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I hope Tom has turned into some kind of anime dimension hopping time traveling alien banging dude. It would at least justify his absence from Blink.

Seriously though this is fucking weird. Last I'd really heard of this it sounded like it was extremely underfunded and asking for donations effectively? I guess some of the footage stuff they released maybe came later, but that wouldn't need the funding like what R&D would.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
hrm.....
the black vault's FOIA repository is relatively legit anyway. Just a dump of documents. I'm more suspicious of the Army in this pairing.