• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
Update on this wip. Colors mine. Art by Jorge Jiménez:

tumblr_pb3tg6lXXl1xpfteqo1_1280.jpg

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
I have some spare time on my hands and decided to start a little collection of gaming related figures/ artwork. So I proudly present my first figurine...

...naaananananananaaa...

The prince!
img_20180703_105459dvs1p.jpg

And his beloved katamari!
img_20180703_105556d9squ.jpg

Both are made of Fimo (polymer clay). I bought a set with 5 colors + white and a black block separately, so all colors could be created by mixing different base colors. No paint was used. Other materials include tin foil for the prince's "skeleton" and 2k glue to fix the antenna on his head and the head on the body.

Here you see a sketch of the prince's outline with his skeleton next to some reference models for human figurines:
img_20180703_110632_1i5sc8.jpg

I began with the head and baked it separatly, otherwise I wouldn't have achieved the round shape. This was fairly easy. The rest of his body was quite some pain to form. The way he leans to the front and side was not intended, but it kind of fits because it looks like he is pushing the katamari. I think his posture results from tipping over during baking because afterwards there were some cracks in his legs and arms that I had to fix. Even though they aren't visibly anymore, the cracks still changed the form of his legs I believe.

img_20180703_105706t4sx8.jpg

The katamari consists of fan favorites like parsley, bottled green tea, and, of course, cowbear. It was much more fun to build than the prince because every item was formed and baked separately. When I messed up, I only had to redo a very small portion so it was much less frustating. In the center there is a fairly big purple blob that's now barely visible. Everthing else is connected by small pieces of clay, so no glue was used in this case.

The most important source of information I used was this webpage:
http://4largescale.com/chris/c18.htm
Here every step of the modelling process is described in detail: The use of tin foil (and the original chart with the different scales I used for the prince's body), forming the basic body as well as details like hair and fingers, getting rid of finger prints, painting the sculpture etc. Also, there are many youtube videos that show how figurines are built from scratch, from very simple ones to highly detailled figures.

Additonal pictures:

This took me several days and I guess about 10 or 12 times my oven was used to bake the figures or parts of it.
FYI, here is the first protoype I did to get a feel for the clay as well as the different techniques involved. Lots of imperfections like fingerprints and I didn't think of a pose, so it cannot stand on its own.
img_20180703_114354qrs33.jpg

There are many more games I want to transform into little models: Ridge Racer, Wipeout, SotC, Life Is Strange just to name a few. Next time I'll use another material/ techniques, so hopefully every figure will be and remain something special.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I'm kind of having an artist's block, I feel like I should draw, update my Instagram etc. but I can't come up with anything right now.
When I think about what I should draw I feel overburdened with too many ideas and options of subject matter or even the style I should use, then I just don't do anything.

Any tips on how to overcome that?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I'm kind of having an artist's block, I feel like I should draw, update my Instagram etc. but I can't come up with anything right now.
When I think about what I should draw I feel overburdened with too many ideas and options of subject matter or even the style I should use, then I just don't do anything.

Any tips on how to overcome that?
I hear you on that man. Sometimes you don't have the drive to create something and it becomes frustrating when you're stuck in a rut overthinking things. It's the same reason I sporadically update my IG although I have a huge backlog of drawings to work through and finish. I almost never finish drawings. xD

Personally, whenever I find myself trying to think of something to draw, I'll ask my brother for ideas. I've also done studies of my hand in various gestures, self-portraits, or Google Image search random stuff i.e. animals. Sometimes if I see a picture that catches my eye on social media (read: not art), I'll save it for drawing purposes i.e. Greg Miller posted a picture of his dog on Twitter that caught my attention. There was something about the composition of the image and the colors that I liked so I drew and painted it but haven't posted it.

Also, when in doubt, give yourself permission to doodle/draw without any objective/anything specific. In formal art terms, it's called "automatic drawing." You'd be surprised what good comes out of it and if you like the stuff you did in that session, develop it further. It might also help to go to some live figure drawing sessions if there's any in your neck of the woods (I don't take my own advice enough lol).

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Draw this in your style meme thing I did based on piikeisaanda's (some nsfw) characters--he made a sad tweet about hashtagging wrong so I spent a few hours doing this, which was fun torture because he doesn't have good refs:
draw_in_your_style__piikeisandaa_s_froot_loops_by_meibatsu-dchazru.png

reference of his characters in case any of you guys wanna colour it! lol -- he compiled this ref AFTER i complained:

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the fan art thread and thought I'd post it here too.
A No More Heroes fan art piece I did in anticipation of the upcoming 3rd game "Travis Strikes Again"

no_more_heroes_by_neal_akuma-dchg62j.jpg

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WIP Emilia Clarke likeness in ZBrush. Getting closer. Still some wonky stuff with the eyes and their placement that I can't quite diagnose at the moment.
ZErn4jb.jpg

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
First time Im doing this so any signal boosting on this one is appreciated :)

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
First time Im doing this so any signal boosting on this one is appreciated :)

That's pretty damn good man! I'm happy for you. I've thought about collecting all my subway sketches into a book that I would self-publish. Did you do the layout yourself then sent it to a printer or did you put all the images you want into a PDF and let the publisher handle the rest? I'm genuinely quite curious about this process.

Oct 26, 2017
OgLe5vi.jpg

Meanwhile: A Simpsons finale comic (front and back cover)

I will say 2 things about this cover:
  1. This is the first time ever that I designed a front and back cover that doesn't make me want to stab my drawing hand
  2. The panels on the front and back covers are the opening to the comic not panels pulled from the comic which I thought was a cool idea. I was going to pull panels from the comic but it felt sort of…lame?
Originally it was going to be called The Best of Times, The Blurst of Times BUT that made it sound like a Simpsons clipshow comic or something.

Anyway having finished the rough drafts to project, I can finally start it (me and a friend thought of the rough idea for the comic like 6 years ago and after a lot of doubt and 1 failed comic unrelated to this later–I decided in April 2018 to do this)

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on getting this out!

Thanks guys :)

That's pretty damn good man! I'm happy for you. I've thought about collecting all my subway sketches into a book that I would self-publish. Did you do the layout yourself then sent it to a printer or did you put all the images you want into a PDF and let the publisher handle the rest? I'm genuinely quite curious about this process.

https://www.docucopies.com/

Thats a good place to start, they give you a nice step by step guide.

Basically I make the pdf out of a large psd that has everything laid out at the res Im going to print at. In photoshop make sure you hit ctrl+y to switch to cmyk mode to check your colors before printing anything. You gotta make sure everything will be laid out properly, you do NOT want to have a printing place have to do ANY guesswork, its not their job to care and they dont know how you think or want things. When in doubt just dont go for any bleeds as it gets tricky.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Thanks guys :)

https://www.docucopies.com/

Thats a good place to start, they give you a nice step by step guide.

Basically I make the pdf out of a large psd that has everything laid out at the res Im going to print at. In photoshop make sure you hit ctrl+y to switch to cmyk mode to check your colors before printing anything. You gotta make sure everything will be laid out properly, you do NOT want to have a printing place have to do ANY guesswork, its not their job to care and they dont know how you think or want things. When in doubt just dont go for any bleeds as it gets tricky.
I need to get Photoshop on my current laptop as it's been over 2 years since I used it. I was using Manga Studio 5 on the old laptop but I need to get an external HD to transfer my files and images over. I prefer it over Photoshop but Photoshop has its advantages. When I took a digital photography course in undergrad, we had to mess around with CYMK settings to print images so that was fun. Any way, thanks for the tips! I was afraid I was going to have to teach myself Adobe InDesign to do the layout myself. But I'm glad that isn't the case. Still, ensuring that all my images are 600 DPI is going to be fun.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I need to get Photoshop on my current laptop as it's been over 2 years since I used it. I was using Manga Studio 5 on the old laptop but I need to get an external HD to transfer my files and images over. I prefer it over Photoshop but Photoshop has its advantages. When I took a digital photography course in undergrad, we had to mess around with CYMK settings to print images so that was fun. Any way, thanks for the tips! I was afraid I was going to have to teach myself Adobe InDesign to do the layout myself. But I'm glad that isn't the case. Still, ensuring that all my images are 600 DPI is going to be fun.

300 dpi works as well

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting my art and I'd like to get some honest feedback on it.
shibuya.png

sss.png

uuuuu.png

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting my art and I'd like to get some honest feedback on it.

Reminds me of Ralph Steadman, Denys Cowan, Simon Bisley, Jet Set Radio and a little Jamie Hewlett. As for feedback, I think that style would lend itself to depicting motion. But also maybe use it to build form and shadows a little more precisely. Some examples that came to mind (Denys Cowan, Simon Bisley, Bernie Wrightson). Never gave feedback before, hope that helps!
art_comp.jpg

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Reminds me of Ralph Steadman, Denys Cowan, Simon Bisley, Jet Set Radio and a little Jamie Hewlett. As for feedback, I think that style would lend itself to depicting motion. But also maybe use it to build form and shadows a little more precisely. Some examples that came to mind (Denys Cowan, Simon Bisley, Bernie Wrightson). Never gave feedback before, hope that helps!
I really appreciate the feedback, I've been trying to find ways I can take my art to the next level and I'm taking everything you said to heart.

DM_Uselink

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I worked on a game that got announced recently. It is still in the early stages, but it was really fun learning the Unreal Engine pipeline. I did most of the 3D stuff on these images.

...aaaand some 2D stuff too!

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Hey guys, it's my first time posting here - I've admired a lot of the great work from afar but thought I'd quite like to get involved.

I'm an illustrator based in London, I do a lot of comic book and pop culture artwork. I'm not sure exactly what the rules are here regarding how many images you can have in one post so i'll just dip my toe in for now.

Here's a couple of fairly recent illustrations;

EqCPOfD.png

I did this just before I saw Solo (a movie I have to say I enjoyed far more than I thought I would, and deserves more credit than it gets) - I'm a big fan of Donald Glover for both his music and his acting, so I wanted to do something based on his appearance in Solo.

h03ytG2.png

This Cap' drawing I did in the lead up to Infinity War. It's actually part of a larger piece I'm still in the middle of - I'm drawing all of the main characters from Infinity War in their own separate illustrations which I will then combine into one larger poster of which I've planned and laid out in advance. It's the first time I've done anything like it and I've got to say I've learned a lot, particularly how not to do it!

a3jqetp.png

This is a more recent drawing - from just a few days ago. I create my work with a combination of digital and traditional. I do all of the drawing traditionally on bristol board using various inking tools (primarly Mitsubishi UniPin pens and Windsor and Newton ProMarkers), then I scan the drawing in and do all of the colouring in Photoshop. This Doctor Strange drawing is part of the aforementioned Infinity War poster which I should hopefully finish some time before 2030.

I've really tried to push values further with my inking since I've been working on this project and I think this Doctor Strange drawing is my best yet in that regard.

Anyway, that'll do for now. I look forward to posting and checking out more art in this thread!

Last edited:

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
There's a list of creative challenges, https://www.wikiwrimo.org/wiki/List_of_timed_artistic_challenges, for August it's "Smaugust" (Smaug the dragon from the Hobbit + August). While I won't be doing the full challenge, I do have a few pieces I plan to contribute. Here's the first I've finished up. It took 26 hours.

cy_gon_the_cyber_dragon_by_neal_akuma-dcive8a.jpg

That's one sick character design!

5071akK.jpg

gonna spam quite a bit here, so bear with me....

AcNEJy4.jpg

TYGTO22.jpg

lM42uim.jpg

A commission from someone who loves Granblu Fantasy

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Is it cheating if I flip the canvas so drawing certain things become easier?

I have a really hard time drawing left eyes or having characters face right (lol) but I've been trying my best to avoid flipping the canvas. My hands just can't do it yet, damnit.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017

I have a really hard time drawing left eyes or having characters face right (lol) but I've been trying my best to avoid flipping the canvas. My hands just can't do it yet, damnit.

Not at all. I use a light box now when working on paper(I used to use a window or lightbulb to look through the back of the paper when I was younger), I would also use carbon paper to copy, flip and light box hard to draw things. In Photoshop, I'll flip the canvas to make adjustments all the time. Especially when doing head on poses or faces.

Unless you're plagiarizing, tracing copyrighted work or not giving proper credit when attribution is required, it's not cheating. When I was a kid I never knew about doing a rough draft with a pencil until I got an art book. When I showed this technique to a friend of my grandparents he said it was cheating because with "real artists" images just come forth. This bothered me for a few years until I got a book on Michelangelo that showed his sketches and processes to doing his frescos.

Alethiometer

alt account
Banned
May 29, 2018

Lol, art is not a competition. Do whatever you think is necessary.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, there is some exceptional art in this thread! I'd love some input on some of my recent stuff. I have a bachelor's in Illustration but feel like I have a long way to go before any sort of art or design career.

A couple portraits I did off photo ref:
tumblr_pcd466WI2S1w5blw4o1_1280.png

tumblr_pc8u98kydq1w5blw4o1_1280.png

I've also been dabbling in pixel art a little under a year now:

tumblr_paaqhvmQpM1w5blw4o2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_paaplk5hfw1w5blw4o1_400.gif

tumblr_paahr3KO2p1w5blw4o1_640.gif

wWFs1lo.png

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, there is some exceptional art in this thread! I'd love some input on some of my recent stuff. I have a bachelor's in Illustration but feel like I have a long way to go before any sort of art or design career.

A couple portraits I did off photo ref:

I've also been dabbling in pixel art a little under a year now
Really nice stuff! After trying my hand at pixel art this year I have a much greater appreciation for it.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey fam, I recently got off my ass and did a few things:

Printed my Dark Souls book! 47 pages that include all my inktober and painted work. This was posted before (and thank you for the nice words!) so I apologize for the repeat but it rolls into the rest of the work :)

Made myself some branding signage

DjDOnFOVAAEP1X0.jpg

Got an artists table at EVO! This was my first time putting myself out there, had a great reaction

Also did a bunch of cool commissions

Djud8dpVsAAfQRI.jpg

Djtp-MCU4AAqGiE.jpg

DjxZbDHUwAIOWgk.jpg

Djzi0GeVsAYqvB8.jpg

DjzpoT8V4AA2VOL.jpg

Put up an online store! This has all my prints and my Dark Souls book. I'll be adding and tweaking things in the future but at least its a start. Go here to check it out :)

DkDd5SfVsAAX3q5.jpg

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. I use a light box now when working on paper(I used to use a window or lightbulb to look through the back of the paper when I was younger), I would also use carbon paper to copy, flip and light box hard to draw things. In Photoshop, I'll flip the canvas to make adjustments all the time. Especially when doing head on poses or faces.

Unless you're plagiarizing, tracing copyrighted work or not giving proper credit when attribution is required, it's not cheating. When I was a kid I never knew about doing a rough draft with a pencil until I got an art book. When I showed this technique to a friend of my grandparents he said it was cheating because with "real artists" images just come forth. This bothered me for a few years until I got a book on Michelangelo that showed his sketches and processes to doing his frescos.

Lol, art is not a competition. Do whatever you think is necessary.

That's true. I always felt that I needed to learn how to draw the "RIGHT" way, which is no shortcuts or whatever and if I did that, I'm missing out on my own development.

I definitely don't trace but I do use real life models as references for poses and such. I know some snooty artists also balk at using references and everything has to be from their brains. I guess it's all about the finished product at the end of the day!

I've also never thought about using carbon paper for drawing. Man, that's genius lol.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
That's true. I always felt that I needed to learn how to draw the "RIGHT" way, which is no shortcuts or whatever and if I did that, I'm missing out on my own development.

I definitely don't trace but I do use real life models as references for poses and such. I know some snooty artists also balk at using references and everything has to be from their brains. I guess it's all about the finished product at the end of the day!

I've also never thought about using carbon paper for drawing. Man, that's genius lol.

Tracing to learn is cool, just don't use it (annotating it or attaching the image you traced will help you remember).

Any ethical shortcut is fine in my book. I'll take elements from multiple half baked drawings of mine to Frankenstein a new piece instead of starting from scratch.

My process is to sketch a bunch of ideas, pick, adjust and build out the one I like best, set the preliminary pose and composition, try to imagine the final image (all the elements and finished look), make a list of things to look up reference for (hair styles, clothing, flora etc..), find tutorials for things I haven't drawn before or that I'm not comfortable with and when in doubt about an aspect, I'll see how artists I admire tackled it.

Then I'm constantly altering, checking and editing as I go along. In photoshop it's easy, but I didn't have a computer until my 20's. When I was younger I had a lightbox and art supplies. I'd take trips to the local copy center to make enlargements of my small sketches and duplicates of my finished line art. I also had folders of reference materials. A stack of National Geographics, magazines, drawing books and anatomy texts.

Most of that effort went into art that I would consider terrible now, but the process helped me learn. It is about the finished product and these days I'm happy with what I'm putting out for the most part.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Another videogame project finished. This time it's the Feisar glider from Wipeout HD.

img_20180817_171603_1ccijb.jpg

I used MDF for the body and tiffany glass for the trail, each layer 3mm thick. You can find a highly detailed model of the glider in the SketchUp warehouse. For the body, I made about 40 section cuts in SketchUp, printed them and then transfered them onto the mdf with carbon paper. Next, I used a scroll saw to cut them out. To align the pieces, I also cut a template of the glider's silhouette. All the sections then were glued together, primed and painted. For the trail, the glass sheet was broken into pieces with a glass cutter and a pincer, then glued together. The model sits on three tooth picks that were cut and stuck into the accelaration pad (again 3mm MDF).

I'm really digging the look. When I began painting it yellow and blue, I was unsure whether it would turn out great, because the plain white prime coat made it look so stylish. The red trail is not really true to the original, but that was what I had lying around. It looks really stunning in sunlight but otherwise the red color gives it a cartoonish look. Also, I'm afraid to touch it because mdf is fragile as fuck when cut into little pieces (it kind of disintegrates sometimes).