• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Bumping this thread again. I did a little piece based on Outrun, another one of my gaming favorites.
My intend was to make it look like a tiny neon sign. That means using stylized and abstracted, yet recognizable shapes and of course bright colors. I bought 1,5mm thick wires, bended them and wrapped them with a thin layer of clay (white Fimo). After connecting the pieces and baking the sculpture in the oven, I applied several layers of acrylic glow in the dark paint. The colors do pop as intended, but the glow effect isn't as striking as I hoped.
The last picture shows how it looks in a dark room after sitting close to a window on a mostly cloudy day for many hours. I guess applying more paint or a primer beforehand as suggested would improve the results, but as a gimmick it is fine.

I used this graphic as a template:
https://www.deviantart.com/aerodesign94/art/Ferrari-testarossa-430825125

img_20180825_154846_1vbdiy.jpg

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Is it cheating if I flip the canvas so drawing certain things become easier?

I have a really hard time drawing left eyes or having characters face right (lol) but I've been trying my best to avoid flipping the canvas. My hands just can't do it yet, damnit.

I see incredibly skilled artist do this all the time.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017

I have a really hard time drawing left eyes or having characters face right (lol) but I've been trying my best to avoid flipping the canvas. My hands just can't do it yet, damnit.
That's true. I always felt that I needed to learn how to draw the "RIGHT" way, which is no shortcuts or whatever and if I did that, I'm missing out on my own development.

I definitely don't trace but I do use real life models as references for poses and such. I know some snooty artists also balk at using references and everything has to be from their brains. I guess it's all about the finished product at the end of the day!

I've also never thought about using carbon paper for drawing. Man, that's genius lol.
Not only is it not cheating to flip the canvas, flipping occasionally is a good habit to get into because it makes it easier to see and correct flaws that your eyes aren't noticing because you are too used to the image. Proportion errors or sloping features become super obvious as soon as you flip the canvas. Pros do it all the time. Traditional painters will flip their image upside down or step back 10-15 feet away from the canvas to achieve a similar effect.

Also, anybody who scoffs at using or learning from reference should be roundly ignored. The only way to learn how to draw well from imagination is to study a lot of reference. Most tof what is considered great art from throughout history has been done from reference. Take your cues from great artists, not snobby "artists" who are too busy with their own ego to learn. As long as you aren't trying to pass off someone else's work as your own, it's fine. If you do a study of someone else's work and post it online, make sure it is very clear that it's a study and post the original alongside it and credit the artist.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Just beginning to draw as a study/hobby and these pages are so inspiring!

Using Procreate and my birthday iPad Pro and it's slow going but endlessly rewarding. I'm a huge fan of Draw with Jazza, Mike Henry, and Stayf Draws on YouTube.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The 2nd half of my travelogue of my trip to California that happened last month. I don't digitally color often* so it took 6-8 hours to do the first 2 pages then around 4-5 hours to do the rest

**this is like first time in like 3 years since I've digitally colored so I'm surprised it doesn't look like garbage (well the first 2 pages have weird color choices)
FVmf4Nj.jpg

a6yG9yA.jpg

Av2mpz7.jpg

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The 2nd half of my travelogue of my trip to California that happened last month. I don't digitally color often* so it took 6-8 hours to do the first 2 pages then around 4-5 hours to do the rest

**this is like first time in like 3 years since I've digitally colored so I'm surprised it doesn't look like garbage (well the first 2 pages have weird color choices)
FVmf4Nj.jpg

a6yG9yA.jpg

Av2mpz7.jpg

I love this.

Your food has me hungry lol.

Last edited:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

I know you posted this some time ago but a small detail when sharing your work, make sure the photos are focused correctly. If you are taking photos with a phone, make sure it is focusing at the object and not the table (normally my holding your finger on the object phones auto focus).

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia

FVmf4Nj.jpg

a6yG9yA.jpg

Av2mpz7.jpg
This travelogue is just so OP, needs more of it done.

Just finished this painting, Hyoh of the Delta Star from Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, those who play it will know what it means XD

edric-luffie-hyoh-web-landscape.jpg

You can follow my instagram here! edricluffie

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yo, this is nice. I'll post some stuff here in this topic.

Are you talking about flipping the canvas horizontally lol? Mate, you're supposed to do that. Once a piece is 50% + you generally do that to see perspective as at times when you flip it you see something you missed the first time. It's generally a good idea for long pieces to flip it back and forth a few times just see how it works out. People are photobashing, so flipping the canvas is 100% good. As long as you get end result, all that matters.

Hey fam, I recently got off my ass and did a few things:

Printed my Dark Souls book! 47 pages that include all my inktober and painted work. This was posted before (and thank you for the nice words!) so I apologize for the repeat but it rolls into the rest of the work :)

Made myself some branding signage

DjDOnFOVAAEP1X0.jpg

Got an artists table at EVO! This was my first time putting myself out there, had a great reaction

Also did a bunch of cool commissions

Djud8dpVsAAfQRI.jpg

Djtp-MCU4AAqGiE.jpg

DjxZbDHUwAIOWgk.jpg

Djzi0GeVsAYqvB8.jpg

DjzpoT8V4AA2VOL.jpg

Put up an online store! This has all my prints and my Dark Souls book. I'll be adding and tweaking things in the future but at least its a start. Go here to check it out :)

DkDd5SfVsAAX3q5.jpg

This is awesome shit. Damn.

Bumping this thread with a few more recent drawings!

Ent inspired creature/character design:
noe-leyva-entall1.jpg
Those characters are fucking nice, dig the personality you added to them. You made the 5 of them right?

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
I did a couple of little animations for my website as practice in after effect and some watercolors i did in the past 2 weeks from life.
PrintAnimation175.gif
WebDesign175.gif
Brushanimation175.gif

maybe NSFW because they are nude models. so i spoiled them
Be8iVXG.png

gyMQUxt.png

rNOApz8.png

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been able to import Procreate brushes to Photoshop? Honestly, it's a lot fun to draw on the iPad and it's entirely because of how great the brushes in Procreate are. I haven't found a brush on PS that I like as much.

Tracing to learn is cool, just don't use it (annotating it or attaching the image you traced will help you remember).

Any ethical shortcut is fine in my book. I'll take elements from multiple half baked drawings of mine to Frankenstein a new piece instead of starting from scratch.

My process is to sketch a bunch of ideas, pick, adjust and build out the one I like best, set the preliminary pose and composition, try to imagine the final image (all the elements and finished look), make a list of things to look up reference for (hair styles, clothing, flora etc..), find tutorials for things I haven't drawn before or that I'm not comfortable with and when in doubt about an aspect, I'll see how artists I admire tackled it.

Then I'm constantly altering, checking and editing as I go along. In photoshop it's easy, but I didn't have a computer until my 20's. When I was younger I had a lightbox and art supplies. I'd take trips to the local copy center to make enlargements of my small sketches and duplicates of my finished line art. I also had folders of reference materials. A stack of National Geographics, magazines, drawing books and anatomy texts.

Most of that effort went into art that I would consider terrible now, but the process helped me learn. It is about the finished product and these days I'm happy with what I'm putting out for the most part.

That's amazing dude. I like the idea of taking parts of different drawings to make something new. Often times I'd design some nice hairstyle or hand pose or pattern but the rest would be subpar. I do this for stories so I should adopt this for art as well.

I see incredibly skilled artist do this all the time.

Not only is it not cheating to flip the canvas, flipping occasionally is a good habit to get into because it makes it easier to see and correct flaws that your eyes aren't noticing because you are too used to the image. Proportion errors or sloping features become super obvious as soon as you flip the canvas. Pros do it all the time. Traditional painters will flip their image upside down or step back 10-15 feet away from the canvas to achieve a similar effect.

Also, anybody who scoffs at using or learning from reference should be roundly ignored. The only way to learn how to draw well from imagination is to study a lot of reference. Most tof what is considered great art from throughout history has been done from reference. Take your cues from great artists, not snobby "artists" who are too busy with their own ego to learn. As long as you aren't trying to pass off someone else's work as your own, it's fine. If you do a study of someone else's work and post it online, make sure it is very clear that it's a study and post the original alongside it and credit the artist.

Are you talking about flipping the canvas horizontally lol? Mate, you're supposed to do that. Once a piece is 50% + you generally do that to see perspective as at times when you flip it you see something you missed the first time. It's generally a good idea for long pieces to flip it back and forth a few times just see how it works out. People are photobashing, so flipping the canvas is 100% good. As long as you get end result, all that matters.

That's a great point. Every time I flip the canvas, I notice a lot of flaws in perspective and proportion. For example, I've struggled with getting both eyes to look similar in size and style and I'd have saved so much time if I just flipped the canvas and drew the way I was most comfortable.

I think I just need to understand that aside from tracing, it's fine to use techniques and shortcuts that help you get the result you want. Rather, I guess tracing is fine for study but not for finished pieces. I think I was romanticizing art too much and figured all these shortcuts were above the "good" artists.

Thanks y'all!

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder for anyone interested... the October Sketchbox last year was all inktober friendly stuff. TODAY at 5pm PT is the cutoff to get it this year.

For those not familiar, Sketchbox is one of those subscription loot boxes for art supplies. It's $35 a month, and I think it's usually pretty damn good. You can cancel anytime, so I usually just jump on for a month or two once in a while. Oct-Nov-Dec was a really good stretch last year, so that's what I'm doing again this year.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
6 months ago I decided to get serious, do some finished art and post it online. These are a collage of some of the ones I feel turned out best. Altogether I've done 25 completed pieces, plus another 9 works (fan art for streamers, paint overs, a logo, and some gag art). I can see myself improving each month and I'm continuing to try and get better.

The last month has been a major low with crippling self doubt. It's hard to get my work seen, let alone get comments or followers. I'm working on 3 new drawings I hope to have done by October 1st though.

tumblr_pfe4sc7n0S1xaye3qo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pfe4sc7n0S1xaye3qo1_1280.jpg

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Akumatica Keep doing what you do and don't get discouraged by the silence. It's impressive how much you've achieved in 6 months. I really like the metroid piece and the friday the 13th t-shirt design.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Nice work!

I'm wondering if there is to be an Inktober OT this year. I'll check the OT claim thread.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Two recent pieces. The first is a chibi version of a character I posted before-

The second is some Bowsette / Peachser art-

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I keep not getting notifications for this thread.

Pretty busy lately, moved accross town and, if you follow the game I work on, you can see whe've been pumping out good stuff lately

Managed to make some sketches while watching wrestling last night tho

DoKR55tUUAAR6FY.jpg

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Another chibi version of a character I've posted before. I've been trying a faster more vibrant style lately. This takes 4 hours compared to the 14-20 that a fully rendered piece takes and is getting about the same reaction online.
nitz_chibi_dnd_by_neal_akuma-dco0c0m.jpg

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
skullhome2.jpg

Did this screen print today for a print exchange.. probably should of gone for a slightly greyer cream. But pretty happy!

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Hi Peeps! Been doodling for a long time but lately I've been trying to pick it back up while I'm in a bit of a creative lul with video making. I've also started a new job that requires an hour of train travelling a day so I've been using the opportunity to rough thumbnails and ideas in a little pad.

I've been using my Dungeon World party for inspiration!

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone recommend a really good articulating figure ? I wanna step up from the shitty ikea wood mannequin I got. (also I want to play with a cool figure)

I was thinking this but am open to other suggestions

Oct 27, 2017
I went out to buy some hurricane supplies tonight. I don't really think Michael is coming, but just in case. I went to a Dollar General and saw this out front and, to me, it so perfectly captured autumn in Florida. It was like that scene in American Beauty when he films the bag. It was the right situation, at the right time, in the right location. Synchronocity, babies.