• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Saturday morning brush pen thing before a busy day of errands and family stuff.

Hf05dfu.jpg

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I currently use Krita for drawing. It's open source and of course free, it's great for free hand drawing. The only thing it doesn't have is the amount of user generated brushes that photoshop has, other than that it's probably better for the purpose of drawing than ps.

I've also tried paint tool sai but I think Krita is the better alternative now.

I also tried to use Affinity Photo for drawing but to be honest it's a mess. Great for photo editing but painting is cumbersome and unintuitive.

Affinity Designer on the other hand is great for Vector drawing (probably better that Adobe Illustrator), but has the same problems as Photo when it comes to pure pixel based freehand drawing.
How's this the first time I've heard of Krita?
Seems kind of awesome.

Skwerl

Oct 28, 2017
Skimming through your tumblr. My god nutella stealth fighter. This is my new favorite thing on internet
That was the result of some internet argument, when someone on a forum claimed you need to get fancy drawing tools to draw better. I told that individual a good artist could make due with any tool and I could theoretically work with nutella if I had to lol.

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm no where near as good as you guys but.. I was looking at the other art thread the other day and wanted to move from doodling on paper at work to trying my hand at practicing every day.
So, I jumped in..bought a 12.9" iPad pro+Apple pencil on Fri!!!

First thing I've ever drawn "digitally", first thing I've done more then doodle in 10+ years! Its not great, but its a start!! Time to keep practicing and learning!

ekkev6.png

ekkev6.png

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
pehesse, what brush are you using for that effect? I used to have a Sai brush that did that but I'm using photoshop these days and I can't get my goddamn brush settings right

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dang, some good stuff in here.

Here's my latest piece. Been doing some Destiny themed stuff and learning Clip Studio tones:
87Bw3GW.jpg

Still gotta clean up the foreground and I have no idea what to do with the background...

Camille_

Oct 26, 2017
Angoulême, France
Wow, some very impressive stuff has been posted while I was looking away. Those studies are looking fantastic, Somni!

pehesse, what brush are you using for that effect? I used to have a Sai brush that did that but I'm using photoshop these days and I can't get my goddamn brush settings right

It's a Pentel GFKP ink brush pen, so I'm not exactly sure what kind of brush it is - pretty thin and soft, I'd have to say? I've been sticking to this single pen this time to try and practice with a single tool at a time, and get away from digital automatisms, but I have to admit many of the work done for inktober by others made me miss using lining pens and markers, I'll have to get back to those eventually :-D
(If you meant digital brushes, then it's traditional, so no computer work there, though when I work digitally, I basically use Frenden's Inker Brush all day every day :-D)

For now, here's number 30, almost to a full inktober month - let's just pretend it still is last week!

30_by_pehesse-dbswr0s.png

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I'd like Frenden to update his tools to fit in better with the new PS version - it'd be nice if the brushes were in brushes, not tools. But yeah they're pretty rad and make PS far more fun to draw and ink in.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Some progress...

32PvVX4.gif

Last edited:

DM_Uselink

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well its mostly a mini thread right now lol but yeah, its meant for people to post whatever theyre working on.

Nice concepts! I think they would benefit from a bit of signage on the side as they seem like some sort of transport vessel, maybe some wear and tear options?

Thanks, Yeah I'll probably do a few more and once I'm done with this round of freelance I'm thinking of starting a sci-fi personal project like I did with my fantasy/Aztec one.

Oh, that's really kind of you to say - I wish I had more to offer in exchange about your own work, but I'm simply in awe and a little bit intimidated :-D Looks fantastic, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing more (and taking notes :-D)!

Here's today's heroine, hopefully a more familiar face around these parts:

Oh no haha, I still have a ways to get to where I want to be. I just love seeing people develop something from start to finish and your animation and drawing style stand out to me(in a good way!)

Thanks! Really digging your ship design.. checked out your website as well.. really great work!

Thanks! Keep your posts coming. Let's surpass the post count from the old thread!

What drawing program does everyone use? I've just been using Photoshop.

I also mainly use Photoshop. Every once in a while I try to go back and use Painter. I always end up going back to PS.

Today I did another quick one trying to show a bit of an exaggerated perspective. I'll attempt to do some more like this hopefully.

tumblr_oz0whqROc21r9x5lbo1_1280.png

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
My first and second scenes made with Blender 3D. I need to come back to it. :(

Been bouncing around styles lately and started doing more animated cartoony stuff for my daughter rather than more seinen/joe madureira/manga style im used to.

On a Skottie Young kick right now... doing quick little daily comics of my 3yo daughters funny sayings and goofy antics...

I love this style! Great stuff, SomaXD!

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody have any tips for digital painting tutorials? Although tbh I'm mainly just talking brush settings

Camille_

Oct 26, 2017
Angoulême, France
Oh no haha, I still have a ways to get to where I want to be. I just love seeing people develop something from start to finish and your animation and drawing style stand out to me(in a good way!)
tumblr_oz0whqROc21r9x5lbo1_1280.png

You and me both, then, but wow at what you're already doing! I should try some more exaggerated perspectives, myself :-D

For now, here's day 31, so technically a full consecutive Inktober, but I've got more characters planned so the show will go on!
31_by_pehesse-dbt0ao1.png

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Looking at the WIP I am probably going to do some cleanup and making sure the forms make sense on the digital inked version. Plus I have to figure out the art for the logo and background.

Mostly I think I need to polish up the figures. Probably need to get some references for the hands and rectify leg positioning to make the man's pose a bit less stiff.

Anyone got any advice on how to do a good simple background and logo? The idea is to make the poster look like a comic cover because it is for a webcomic I am working and a poster for my folks to put up...

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Did a little bit more on this guy today.. still a bit rough, might leave it a while and come back to him later. Fairly happy with him so far tho.

Skullcupsmall2.jpg

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
Acrylic
13729202_10154253202238346_496423905966689407_n.jpg

Ink / Watercolor

13775979_10154261592433346_8311563235193639271_n.jpg

Digital

14449772_10154464709603346_8504393783238157079_n.jpg

I'm not very good. Which I don't mean to say as a means to fish for compliments. Nor do I think I'm bad. It's sometimes pleasant to look at. I just never studied and I don't really practice, so I don't think my art stands against critique very well. Digital in particular is pretty foreign to me.

But that said, it's nice to share it once in a while and it's nice to see the art of others as well.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
That little metroid is nice, it shows the value of using a medium that helps buff the art up.

Practice definitely helps. I got a lot better thanks to getting the right advice and a lot of study.

Deleted member 12009

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You and me both, then, but wow at what you're already doing! I should try some more exaggerated perspectives, myself :-D

For now, here's day 31, so technically a full consecutive Inktober, but I've got more characters planned so the show will go on!

I really like this style. Nice work.

Tried doing Inktober and immediately fell off when work got rough. Should have stuck with it...

Camille_

Oct 26, 2017
Angoulême, France
I really like this style. Nice work.

Tried doing Inktober and immediately fell off when work got rough. Should have stuck with it...

Thanks a lot, very glad you do!
Regarding Inktober and constancy: I think it's important to try and have fun with it, otherwise it's very easy to treat it as "additional work" or yet another project and feel like a failure when we don't complete it (which, in all fairness, is most of us most of the time - it's one of the main reasons why I usually don't do it at all, if I'm being honest), which kind of defeats the original purpose.
I'd say, if you did something, then you can be proud of that already, and if you want to try and do more - either wait until next year if it *has* to be inktober, or if it doesn't, just do more now :-D After all, we have this brand new thread to fill with cool stuff!

Deleted member 12009

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks a lot, very glad you do!
Regarding Inktober and constancy: I think it's important to try and have fun with it, otherwise it's very easy to treat it as "additional work" or yet another project and feel like a failure when we don't complete it (which, in all fairness, is most of us most of the time - it's one of the main reasons why I usually don't do it at all, if I'm being honest), which kind of defeats the original purpose.
I'd say, if you did something, then you can be proud of that already, and if you want to try and do more - either wait until next year if it *has* to be inktober, or if it doesn't, just do more now :-D After all, we have this brand new thread to fill with cool stuff!

If it did anything, it helped me shake the cobwebs off and get back to work. I think my biggest issue was time as I'm so out of practice it takes me hours to complete even a simple drawing.

22277481_1927416214198772_294366011811954688_n.jpg

This drawing took me several hours and I ended up staying late to finish it.

Nov 1, 2017
Ahh! Awesome thread, OP! Definitely gonna watch this thread.

I'm gonna feel embarrassed to post most of my stuff, but I'll prove myself wrong about that and come up with stuff I'm satisfied with enough to share. I got myself a tablet earlier this year, but I'm focusing on improving my work with traditional first before I really dive into that. Although, I do wanna give it a spin again and try doing some stuff digitally.

I don't know much about tools, and I don't have much of a budget... but I do plan on treating myself to some coloring materials this Christmas. I've only got a mechanical pencil and two Uni Pin pens to work with, which is a little frustrating. I've been considering getting either markers or colored pencils, and maybe a brush pen for inking and cause I kinda miss doing (Chinese) calligraphy. Used to do them as part of our schoolwork.

So... any tips or recommendations?
You don't need a tablet or expensive pens/pencils to learn how to draw. Starting with physical paper is a good idea though. At the very least you buy yourself a decent sketchbook (draw on a large sketchbook, trust me), a good kneaded eraser, pencil sharpener, and at this point a quality #2 wood or mechanical pencil.

Don't worry about the many different types of pencils just yet. Your focus right now should be: 1) learning how to control your pencil and draw quality lines, and 2) how to roughly translate what you see onto the paper in lines, in proportions that look relatively true to the original image.

This is the essence of learning how to draw. Shading, color, etc will all come later.

So, where to begin? I'm not sure how skilled you are yet. My suggestion for practicing is to find some images you want to try to draw. They shouldnt' be too complex or detailed if you are just starting out. An animal, a video game character, etc. So the idea is that you should start out by trying to recreate images or even things you see in person. At this point, drawing from imagination is not really recommended.

So, with that in mind, here are some things to keep in mind:
  • Draw on a scale as large as possible
  • Don't concern yourself with all the small details of what youre drawing yet - you have to focus on drawing the big picture first before you concern yourself with small details.
  • When sketching, use blocky lines to start drawing shapes
  • To start a drawing, it is best to first "describe" what the image with large shapes that form the outline of what you're drawing.
  • Rough sketches come first, polished work comes after. Don't try to do it all at once!
  • For a while, your drawings wont look exactly like what youre drawing
  • You will get better!
I'm not sure what other advice to give you without seeing your work.

Hope this helps.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i hate the current quote resize feature @_@

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
You don't need a tablet or expensive pens/pencils to learn how to draw. Starting with physical paper is a good idea though. At the very least you buy yourself a decent sketchbook (draw on a large sketchbook, trust me), a good kneaded eraser, pencil sharpener, and at this point a quality #2 wood or mechanical pencil.

Don't worry about the many different types of pencils just yet. Your focus right now should be: 1) learning how to control your pencil and draw quality lines, and 2) how to roughly translate what you see onto the paper in lines, in proportions that look relatively true to the original image.

This is the essence of learning how to draw. Shading, color, etc will all come later.

So, where to begin? I'm not sure how skilled you are yet. My suggestion for practicing is to find some images you want to try to draw. They shouldnt' be too complex or detailed if you are just starting out. An animal, a video game character, etc. So the idea is that you should start out by trying to recreate images or even things you see in person. At this point, drawing from imagination is not really recommended.

So, with that in mind, here are some things to keep in mind:
  • Draw on a scale as large as possible
  • Don't concern yourself with all the small details of what youre drawing yet - you have to focus on drawing the big picture first before you concern yourself with small details.
  • When sketching, use blocky lines to start drawing shapes
  • To start a drawing, it is best to first "describe" what the image with large shapes that form the outline of what you're drawing.
  • Rough sketches come first, polished work comes after. Don't try to do it all at once!
  • For a while, your drawings wont look exactly like what youre drawing
  • You will get better!
I'm not sure what other advice to give you without seeing your work.

Hope this helps.
Holy shit, wow. I appreciate this very much but you misunderstood me, hahaha. I was asking for advice on coloring tools, whether to use pencils, markers, or something else. Although general advice is appreciated, of course!

I've been drawing for most of my life, but I kind of stopped for most of college and high school. Thankfully, I find myself very motivated these days thanks to Persona 5 and the anime Re:Creators. Especially Re:Creators. My art's just nowhere near where I want it to be yet, but I'm very, very slowly getting there. After doing inktober for the first time last month, I wanted to get more tools to work with, specifically for colors, to try out new things and add some more dimension to my art. You're right about not needing great tools to make great art, but they're really helpful too. I've seen lots of amazing fan art that are just line art, so I know colors aren't necessarily needed, but I think of it as compensating for the areas I'm weak at until I get better at those. And, well, I want to do colored stuff.

I do tend to have a problem drawing on a large scale, though... I recently transitioned from a notebook to a sketch pad because said notebook's full now, and I found myself making incorrect proportions and the whatnot due to all the space I have now. So I'm kind of rolling back and just making smaller sketches per page.

Seriously, though, I really appreciate the reply and the effort you put in it. I feel bad about it, hahaha, but thank you so much for the reply!

As for my art, well, here's some of the ones I did for inktober that I actually liked:
My favorite's the second one. I posted it on the Persona 5 subreddit before, so I got some feedback there and am now aware of many of my mistakes with it, hahaha. Though I'm sure there's a lot more I haven't noticed...

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Holy shit, wow. I appreciate this very much but you misunderstood me, hahaha. I was asking for advice on coloring tools, whether to use pencils, markers, or something else. Although general advice is appreciated, of course! I've been drawing for most of my life (except for most of college and high school) so I think it's safe to say I know how to draw. My art's just nowhere near where I want it to be yet, but I'm very, very slowly getting there. After doing inktober for the first time last month, I wanted to get more tools to work with, specifically for colors, to try out new things and add some more dimension to my art. You're right about not needing great tools to make great art, but they're really helpful too. I've seen lots of amazing fan art that are just line art, so I know colors aren't necessarily needed, but I think of it as compensating for the areas I'm weak at until I get better at those. And, well, I want to do colored stuff.

I do tend to have a problem drawing on a large scale, though... I recently transitioned from a notebook to a sketch pad because said notebook's full now, and I found myself making incorrect proportions and the whatnot due to all the space I have now. So I'm kind of rolling back and just making smaller sketches per page.

Seriously, though, I really appreciate the reply and the effort you put in it. I feel bad about it, hahaha, but thank you so much for the reply!

As for my art, well, here's some of the ones I did for inktober that I actually liked.

My favorite's the second one. I posted it on the Persona 5 subreddit before, so I got some feedback there and am now aware of many of my mistakes with it. Though I'm sure there's a lot more I haven't noticed...
Aha! I missed the coloring materials part and thought you wanted advice about how to improve, my apologies.. You are quite decent at drawing yet, nice work. Well still, I think my advice still applies to any artist who is trying to get better at drawing. I'm decent at drawing but I still am trying to master my own advice every time I do figure drawing.

Anyway, since you seem to like to use ink pens then I would certainly recommend watercolors. Watercolors and pen and ink go very well together. You will see many professional illustrators who essentially do pen and ink work and then paint over them with washes of watercolor paints. The classic Arthur Rackham strat:

218+Brunnhilde.jpg

If you decide to go this route, you'll need good watercolor paints and brushes (Winsor Newton Cotman line will supply both of these), good watercolor paper (get that Arches Cold Press Watercolor paper), and if you need to, upgrade your pens. I don't know what kind you use, but personally I know the Sakura Pigma Micron pens are great quality. And of course there are plenty of online tutorials that will teach you how to use watercolor.

Hope this helps!

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Aha! I missed the coloring materials part and thought you wanted advice about how to improve, my apologies.. You are quite decent at drawing yet, nice work. Well still, I think my advice still applies to any artist who is trying to get better at drawing. I'm decent at drawing but I still am trying to master my own advice every time I do figure drawing.

Anyway, since you seem to like to use ink pens then I would certainly recommend watercolors. Watercolors and pen and ink go very well together. You will see many professional illustrators who essentially do pen and ink work and then paint over them with washes of watercolor paints. The classic Arthur Rackham strat:

218+Brunnhilde.jpg

If you decide to go this route, you'll need good watercolor paints and brushes (Winsor Newton Cotman line will supply both of these), good watercolor paper (get that Arches Cold Press Watercolor paper), and if you need to, upgrade your pens. I don't know what kind you use, but personally I know the Sakura Pigma Micron pens are great quality. And of course there are plenty of online tutorials that will teach you how to use watercolor.

Hope this helps!
Ooh, much appreciated! I've actually been quite interested in water color lately! Didn't know they work well with ink, so that's good to know. It's gonna be a whole new thing to learn, though, so I'm not sure if I could afford to spend that much immediately... Might settle for water color pencils for the meantime, I guess? Still, exciting to think about, haha, so thanks!

MrCow

Oct 30, 2017
Does anybody have any tips for digital painting tutorials? Although tbh I'm mainly just talking brush settings

Although you requested mainly bursh settings tutorials I have to say that digital painting comes mainly down to having a fundamental knowledge of art, just like traditional painting. the tool, in this case the brushes, are mostly irrelevant.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but I notice this myself, when I'm stuck with painting I look for the easy way out. Oh if I only had those brushes that the painter used I would be as good. Often times I find the brushes after a long search and then... I play around with them a few minutes but they don't fix my problem.

Long story short I recently discovered this 10 Minutes Video Series by Marco Bucci that really opened my eyes.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Nice illustration. :) I really like the dynamic, contrast and colors. I hope you don't mind me giving you a little tip though?

You did well in the exaggerated perspective, with one exception: You didn't paint the head in the same perspective warp as the rest of the body. For that reason the head sticks strangely out.
I booted up Photoshop real quick and put Ryu's head in a more fitting perspective for you, I really hope you don't mind:

26483306489_ccd74dd0f2_o.jpg

If you open both images in different browser windows and click back and forth, you can see the difference quite well.