• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know this thread was a thing. Hello fellow era artists. Here's some Astral Chain fan art I finished the other day:

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
Felt like drawing some Dr.Slump
dhdP1qG.png

DM_Uselink

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
We're over 1k posts on this thread, nice!
Here's my contribution to the newest page.

Also, tried out Adobe Fresco on the iPad. Not bad! I still think Procreate is a better experience on the tablet, however.

Nov 1, 2017
How many of you make art for a professional portfolio under a pseudonym? I have a great deal of anxiety about posting things related to my life publicly and so I'm looking to make my art, portfolio and social medias under a pseudonym to keep that and my life separate. I know many artists and authors do this. I'm wondering if just using my middle name instead of first would be enough.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, how'd you do that fire??
Thanks for asking. I'm still using Photoshop CS5 so this might be easier with newer programs.
-Create the main flame shapes with the selection tool.
-Gaussian & motion blur them.
-Lower the opacity.
-Use multiple lighting layers (overlay, soft light, hard light, multiply) and a low opacity brush to build up color depth.
-Add sparks using hard light.
-Add smoke using a free smoke brush I got from Deviant art.
-When the whole image is done and color corrected, go back and touch up the brightest and darkest areas to draw more attention to the focal points.

I'm happy with how the fire effects came out in these for the most part, but I can I see that I still need a lot of improvement.
Here's some fire I did last year to show how I've changed my approach-

dcab6mk-08178705-7f68-4bf6-aaa5-7121d98f6307.jpg

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Thanks for asking. I'm still using Photoshop CS5 so this might be easier with newer programs.
-Create the main flame shapes with the selection tool.
-Gaussian & motion blur them.
-Lower the opacity.
-Use multiple lighting layers (overlay, soft light, hard light, multiply) and a low opacity brush to build up color depth.
-Add sparks using hard light.
-Add smoke using a free smoke brush I got from Deviant art.
-When the whole image is done and color corrected, go back and touch up the brightest and darkest areas to draw more attention to the focal points.

I'm happy with how the fire effects came out in these for the most part, but I can I see that I still need a lot of improvement.
Here's some fire I did last year to show how I've changed my approach-

dcab6mk-08178705-7f68-4bf6-aaa5-7121d98f6307.jpg
Dang, that seems like some serious hard work! It paid off though.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How many of you make art for a professional portfolio under a pseudonym? I have a great deal of anxiety about posting things related to my life publicly and so I'm looking to make my art, portfolio and social medias under a pseudonym to keep that and my life separate. I know many artists and authors do this. I'm wondering if just using my middle name instead of first would be enough.
Just use your ERA username. Many artists started with a pseudonym (me included) because Xavier.com or XavierGarcia.com wasnt a possibility so you come up with a nickname because its your "brand" and I never liked the whole "name+art" way of branding. I used to have many other names just cause one name was taken in one place and not in others so I was Xavipants in some places and Jigglyxavi in others (lol) Eventually I noticed I was missing followers because they didnt realize Raging Spaniard on GAF and Xavipants on twitter was the same person so I just centralized everything under the RS brand and made sure people know my name is Xavi. You do this for long enough and eventually you get the confidence and recognition to user your name all the time, this happens in celebrity too with The Rock or The Sports Guy, who now fully operate under Dwayne Johnson or Bill Simmons.

Hope this helps!

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

Work I'm proud of under my main nickname, work I hate and/or not representative of my regular style under another. My real name only in a video game credits (well, only one small indie game project for now).

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I ever shared these here, but for the last two years I've been illustrating custom wrapping paper designs for my family's Christmas presents. They've been a huge hit and a lot of fun to do. I highly recommend y'all give it a try this year.

These were last years:

6RImgpS.jpg

Photos of the individual presents:

Mom's was a traditional Christmas scene, with a forest for the border.

Xo1aeH1.jpg

Nh4IL4O.jpg

Dad's was an "idea" lightbulb with Christmas lights (my dad is an engineer who loves wacky Christmas decorations)

C0QmeHa.jpg

JwLJHkW.jpg

My brother is a welder and loves cars, so I gave him a flaming welder's helmet and some fiery exhaust.

LLpWmi4.jpg

ubDw0CR.jpg

And for my sister I drew her dog, who she had to leave with some friends while she was visiting us for the holidays.

NCn8OTs.jpg

EyN09jn.jpg

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I ever shared these here, but for the last two years I've been illustrating custom wrapping paper designs for my family's Christmas presents. They've been a huge hit and a lot of fun to do. I highly recommend y'all give it a try this year.

These were last years:

6RImgpS.jpg

Photos of the individual presents:
That's a really good idea

Markers and colored pencil on butcher paper?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's a really good idea

Markers and colored pencil on butcher paper?

Yep! It's really straight-forward process. If the design idea requires more detail, like the one of my sister's dog, I'll make a light pencil drawing of it first on the paper and just color/outline over it.

The nice thing is the aesthetic of the package doesn't require color either. The first time I did this back in 2017 I didn't use color at all:

E2d1a1k.jpg

giJTVK0.jpg

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
kNFbCmp.jpg

My latest drawing, its not as cool as the other stuff in here but hey its a nice hobby. Its the full pic of my avatar

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando

Some stuff from projects this year.
In general, I'm happy with what I'm making, but finding time, and figuring out how to get seen are basically exhausting.

How are you guys feeling about making stuff lately?

Nov 1, 2017
Work I'm proud of under my main nickname, work I hate and/or not representative of my regular style under another. My real name only in a video game credits (well, only one small indie game project for now).
Just use your ERA username. Many artists started with a pseudonym (me included) because Xavier.com or XavierGarcia.com wasnt a possibility so you come up with a nickname because its your "brand" and I never liked the whole "name+art" way of branding. I used to have many other names just cause one name was taken in one place and not in others so I was Xavipants in some places and Jigglyxavi in others (lol) Eventually I noticed I was missing followers because they didnt realize Raging Spaniard on GAF and Xavipants on twitter was the same person so I just centralized everything under the RS brand and made sure people know my name is Xavi. You do this for long enough and eventually you get the confidence and recognition to user your name all the time, this happens in celebrity too with The Rock or The Sports Guy, who now fully operate under Dwayne Johnson or Bill Simmons.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice. I know using a handle is very common for artists making anime/fanart stuff. However for the type of art I do, not so much it seems (imaginative realism/fine art). I was a bit concerned using a handle type of name would complicate things because I intend to build my career around my artwork, so its a pretty huge decision to have a name that fits.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Thanks for the advice. I know using a handle is very common for artists making anime/fanart stuff. However for the type of art I do, not so much it seems (imaginative realism/fine art). I was a bit concerned using a handle type of name would complicate things because I intend to build my career around my artwork, so its a pretty huge decision to have a name that fits.

You will have multiple phases. You won't keep your nickname all your life. Start with whatever name you're confortable with, and when you're ready, switch. Let your old followers know what's your new handle is if needed, or make a clean slate. Just don't overthink it, it's not important.If you're still at the "I plan to build my carrer around art" phase, then let it come organically. Your artstyle will change and evolve, and the persona you want to show will too. No shame in having multiple artist lives. I think it's even better, as I see it as "shedding old skin".
I follow the art path of a lot of friends, who started amateur and are now in game and animation studios, and we sometime call ourselves by one of our many old nicknames, and it awaken a lot of memories of the artstyles attached to these handles !

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't drawn in awhile but I was inspired to draw the MC from the story I'll be writing for Era's NaNoWriMo 2019 competition.

http:///CZHd.png

Compared to most of the thread it's pretty bad but my friend did help me make the pose a lot less stiff (like a lot less).

Done on my tablet in Procreate.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Another process video of Ann (Persona 5), inking in part 1 and part 2 with coloring coming up next.

I should've used a tripod but I thought I can film it freehand. I was wrong.

Sep 14, 2019
A little off-topic, but for those that take commissions for commercial use, do you have a template of the contract you or your client sign?

I'm trying to get some commissions done for commercial use, but I want to use something more formal for the artist and me to sign.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any of you folks using Procreate on an iPad Pro? Looking to grab one at some point and get back into drawing. Mostly been doing ZBrush work creatively, haven't done anything 2D in a very long time. How is it for more pencil/greyscale portraits? Only app I've ever used/dabbled in was BlackInk on PC (with results below) so I have no problem jumping into something new.
GfO1dHB.jpg

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
First thing I've drawn in 6 months (besides renovation layouts for house lol):

fecompendium_nemesis_r_by_meibatsu_ddirbo9-pre.png

2 days of work. :3 Lotso procrastination.

Last edited:

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
Ann part two, this time with a tripod.

Both of your recent pieces look great! But I'm not going to lie. That layer stack is giving me anxiety.

Your work is dope! Love it.

Thanks so much!

It really means a lot to hear that. Been kind of down about my work the last couple of days.

Any of you folks using Procreate on an iPad Pro? Looking to grab one at some point and get back into drawing. Mostly been doing ZBrush work creatively, haven't done anything 2D in a very long time. How is it for more pencil/greyscale portraits? Only app I've ever used/dabbled in was BlackInk on PC (with results below) so I have no problem jumping into something new.
GfO1dHB.jpg

Haven't used Procreate much, myself, but it does a pretty fine job with that sort of art.

First thing I've drawn in 6 months (besides renovation layouts for house lol):

EHCdyEsX4AECYMo.jpg

2 days of work. :3 Lotso procrastination.

Looks great. The post effects you've used give it a real nice feeling.

Anyone got any feedback on this? Just drew it up:

20191016_210539.jpg

I like it.
Hands are a tad small, but keep it up!

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Z7vkWID.jpg

Took this wetplate of a wasp nest a couple months ago as an experiment/reminding myself how to do it. It was a super hot and bright day so was quite lucky getting this to come out.