• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
20191113_220101.jpg

Did a sketch today

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Hey guys, what are some good resources to start drawing realistic but slightly stylized people? I'm looking at some Jamal Campbell art and I think that's sort of the direction I'd like to start going in.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, what are some good resources to start drawing realistic but slightly stylized people? I'm looking at some Jamal Campbell art and I think that's sort of the direction I'd like to start going in.

if you're looking for resources, check this thread out, it might have a thing or two that could point you in the right direction. Otherwise, study anatomy and do figure drawing. Learn to draw things as they are/as you see them; learn the rules before you break 'em and all that.

Nov 1, 2017
So like comic style figure drawing. How experienced are you at drawing people already?

There are so many great resources on figure drawing. My personal favorite have been Steve Huston's and Glenn Vilppu's video lectures on New Master's Academy (requires monthly subscription), because they emphasize gesture above all else with a "constructive" approach to figure drawing. Understanding the importance of gesture and how to incorporate it into your drawing is crucial for drawing dynamic, stylized figures.

Other than that, I'd recommend specifically Proko's "How to Draw People" series on YT if you want quality free instruction, Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing book if you want a modern, comprehensive guide that teaches you how to break down the figure in all its complexities.

Keep in mind, every authority on figure drawing I've listened to recommends against learning "anatomy" in too much detail in the beginning. Why? You want to focus on drawing the figure as a whole first rather than all its specific parts in order to avoid stiff, lifeless figures.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
if you're looking for resources, check this thread out, it might have a thing or two that could point you in the right direction. Otherwise, study anatomy and do figure drawing. Learn to draw things as they are/as you see them; learn the rules before you break 'em and all that.
So like comic style figure drawing. How experienced are you at drawing people already?

There are so many great resources on figure drawing. My personal favorite have been Steve Huston's and Glenn Vilppu's video lectures on New Master's Academy (requires monthly subscription), because they emphasize gesture above all else with a "constructive" approach to figure drawing. Understanding the importance of gesture and how to incorporate it into your drawing is crucial for drawing dynamic, stylized figures.

Other than that, I'd recommend specifically Proko's "How to Draw People" series on YT if you want quality free instruction, Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing book if you want a modern, comprehensive guide that teaches you how to break down the figure in all its complexities.

Keep in mind, every authority on figure drawing I've listened to recommends against learning "anatomy" in too much detail in the beginning. Why? You want to focus on drawing the figure as a whole first rather than all its specific parts in order to avoid stiff, lifeless figures.

Thank you both! It looks like I'll be unlearning a lot of old, somewhat bad, habits!

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Just WIP this time.. have to stop and take a break for a day because my arm is hurtin' lol

I also forgot that I now have new blue light filtering glasses to protect my eyes, so images look more yellow to me than usual, so I may have to adjust the colours a bit and add more yellow back in in post.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Did my first cyanotype at home yesterday after finishing my setup... used an old bit of unfinished artwork and put a silly face on it

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Close to complete! But I think I want to add more to it. Maybe some black feathers. or fire or.. hmm..

EJuCr08W4AIoZKd.jpg:large

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, I'd try black feathers since the image is primarily red.

Anywho, since sketches are being posted here I'll share too!

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, LegendX48 !
OCs are so fun.. I wanna get back on that.. The dress on the second one is really cute!

Spent an hour changing the shading slightly to make the lighting more consistent (i defualt to the light coming from the top left, but it should be coming more from the top right in this pic with red bounce lighting from lower right or something..)

And added a feather. Not sure I like how it looks yet. Will be adding more and trying to decide if I should switch the bg to a different one I had in mind to make it more thematic:

OKAY I ACTUALLY GOT TIRED OF WORKING ON THIS AND JUST FINISHED IT OFF. :3

ddkvgis-5f73b12e-b605-44f5-97d0-8d1523eeefa0.png

I actually started drawing Claude after admiring my Edelgard for a bit but this lighting + angle combined is actually way too hard and I am kind of stupid and don't know how to use references lol.. pray 4 me:

EKAdCr9WwAElL1t.jpg:large

Last edited:

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
I've been away from digital art for two years. Actually, to be honest, I've been trying to learn Blender 3D since 2007, or even before, but for some reason I always end giving up. Life and depression are beating me up hard in these last 12 years, and it's hard to find the strength to keep up. Back in 2017 I gave it another shot, but as usual, I gave up again just when I was starting to get the hang of it. Hell, A few weeks ago I decided to try it again. Shit is hard, it's complex, but it is something I really really want to learn since I was very young. F*ck, I feel so lost, but at least I found the strength to do some tutorials I've found on Youtube. I know that they're not original, I know that there are thousands of these same images spread around the internet, but I'm happy nonetheless, so I'm sharing in the hopes that I'll be more active in here on the future.

The ice cream cone tutorial, from CG Geek on Youtube, rendered on Eevee.
EJmtKBrWwAAyPir

The man and the monster tutorial, from Grant Abritt on Youtube, rendered with Eevee.

EKA8uVHWkAAkq4L

The donut tutorial, from Blender Guru on Youtube, rendered with Cycles.

EK0rnzQXUAU5Nyo

Nov 1, 2017
Recently been working on this Griffin design, the first of a series I'm planning. Can I get some feedback before I finish this puppy? Particularly the wing, it seems kind of off butI think I need another pair of eyes to see why.
tqL9c39.jpg

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Recently been working on this Griffin design, the first of a series I'm planning. Can I get some feedback before I finish this puppy? Particularly the wing, it seems kind of off butI think I need another pair of eyes to see why.
tqL9c39.jpg
I think the origin point of wings looks like the chest instead of shoulder blades. Is that intentional?

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I did a quick and dirty digital painting before painting on a large traditional acrylic portrait of Freda Khalo on Procreate...

F2-C4-F6-B9-9-C8-E-4362-9-F09-04-DA5-C26-C7-DA.jpg

I think it turned out well. Going for a more classic approach with the acrylic portrait.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Ah this is great, I love the colours!
Thanks! I was hoping Kojima would retweet it, but what can you do.
This is the alternate original version-
neal-akuma-kojima-death-stranding-2.jpg

I had a change of mind in what I was going for here. This one was death and suffering focused while the final one was more about life after death, shepherding souls and rebirth. The colors are more beautiful and meditative than the aggressive look of the original.

I added the flowers because I read this-
"Lilies symbolize that the soul of the departed has received restored innocence after death"

The roses at the top of the image reference a piece of art that was a major influence on me as a child. The Skull and Roses by Alton Kelly that he did for the Grateful Dead. I always interpreted it as the reverse of Jesus wearing a crown of thorns-
c9f3fc717d90343feea715bff37fab5f.jpg

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Tharja from Fire Emblem Awakening fan art. I found an old rough sketch I did years ago and painted over it.

neal-akuma-tharja-final.jpg

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I challenged myself to do this under the length of a podcast (<2 hours). Some quick fan art of a "False Hydra" I did for a Discord I'm on. It's messy and soft, but I like it enough to share-
ddlzeak-2ef79734-c658-447d-9678-dd01b3a769b2.jpg

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
New coloring video of Ryza, I took my time getting to it but finally finished.

Slightly off-topic, does anyone stream their art to Twitch?
I'm thinking if there's any mind in that or if I should focus on growing my Instagram following first.

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
3lyxoi1.jpg

2FtOpBR.jpg

tfhjzN1.jpg

Some drawings I have doneee that I personally like.

Fun pictures! Are these dnd related?
At any rate, keep it up!

A couple of illustrations trying to get better at using Procreate.

And doing a good job of it.
I like the colors you're picking on these, man

Thanks for the feedback, LegendX48 !
OCs are so fun.. I wanna get back on that.. The dress on the second one is really cute!

Spent an hour changing the shading slightly to make the lighting more consistent (i defualt to the light coming from the top left, but it should be coming more from the top right in this pic with red bounce lighting from lower right or something..)

And added a feather. Not sure I like how it looks yet. Will be adding more and trying to decide if I should switch the bg to a different one I had in mind to make it more thematic:

OKAY I ACTUALLY GOT TIRED OF WORKING ON THIS AND JUST FINISHED IT OFF. :3

ddkvgis-5f73b12e-b605-44f5-97d0-8d1523eeefa0.png

I actually started drawing Claude after admiring my Edelgard for a bit but this lighting + angle combined is actually way too hard and I am kind of stupid and don't know how to use references lol.. pray 4 me:

EKAdCr9WwAElL1t.jpg:large

They're is a great finish on that edelgard piece.

I've been away from digital art for two years. Actually, to be honest, I've been trying to learn Blender 3D since 2007, or even before, but for some reason I always end giving up. Life and depression are beating me up hard in these last 12 years, and it's hard to find the strength to keep up. Back in 2017 I gave it another shot, but as usual, I gave up again just when I was starting to get the hang of it. Hell, A few weeks ago I decided to try it again. Shit is hard, it's complex, but it is something I really really want to learn since I was very young. F*ck, I feel so lost, but at least I found the strength to do some tutorials I've found on Youtube. I know that they're not original, I know that there are thousands of these same images spread around the internet, but I'm happy nonetheless, so I'm sharing in the hopes that I'll be more active in here on the future.

The ice cream cone tutorial, from CG Geek on Youtube, rendered on Eevee.
EJmtKBrWwAAyPir

The man and the monster tutorial, from Grant Abritt on Youtube, rendered with Eevee.

EKA8uVHWkAAkq4L

The donut tutorial, from Blender Guru on Youtube, rendered with Cycles.

EK0rnzQXUAU5Nyo

These look awesome!

tqL9c39.jpg

Looks good. Like Shogmaster said, the chest wing looks somewhat awkward; however, I don't think that's the whole issue, as it could actually work in your favor, since it sort of looks like a cloak.
The fold of the wing is somewhat strange. It kind of accordions in on itself in a way that like awkward. You could maybe remedy this by having the 'hand' part fold over a bit.
Also, the primary flight feathers probably have a little to much variation. They should change in size, but otherwise look pretty uniform, and overlap one another. Remember, feathers are modified scales, and they overlap like scales.
On the arm/chest part of the wing, you did a really good job of this

Hope this is helpful!

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I made a (simple) thing!

Images
ELuTM1pU8AAdDH9

ELuTM1pVAAESwMq

Feels like its been ages since I posted any sort of work in this thread. Anywho, decided to color this in clip studio and... while the result is pretty much the same as it would have been on photoshop, clip studio is quite a bit different to use. Still not the biggest fan of using it for coloring, especially since I couldn't quite get it to behave similar enough to be comfortable with it, but I'll always use it for drawing. Anywho... one day I'll learn how to digitally color/paint, but that day is not today >.>

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I was hoping Kojima would retweet it, but what can you do.
This is the alternate original version-
neal-akuma-kojima-death-stranding-2.jpg

I had a change of mind in what I was going for here. This one was death and suffering focused while the final one was more about life after death, shepherding souls and rebirth. The colors are more beautiful and meditative than the aggressive look of the original.

I added the flowers because I read this-
"Lilies symbolize that the soul of the departed has received restored innocence after death"

The roses at the top of the image reference a piece of art that was a major influence on me as a child. The Skull and Roses by Alton Kelly that he did for the Grateful Dead. I always interpreted it as the reverse of Jesus wearing a crown of thorns-
c9f3fc717d90343feea715bff37fab5f.jpg
Thank you for your beautiful birthday work. I hope you don't mind I volunteer something. Is this original?!?

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Here's another update, looks like the blood fever has gotten into me these days!

Inked another Bloodborne related artwork, this was much harder than the previous Eileen!
So which other character should I do next? I'm also thinking of doing different variations of the hunter wielding different weapons!

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, was quoting you but TLDR your post. Love some Grateful Dead imagery.
Yeah, I spent the majority of my childhood following the Grateful Dead on tour with my family, went to 100's of shows and listened to countless hours of their music. We had walls full of 1960's posters and Hindu religious art both of which were my earliest art inspirations.

Along w/ the Skull & Roses, we had these as well-

You can see all those influences on my art still-
influenced.png

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I spent the majority of my childhood following the Grateful Dead on tour with my family, went to 100's of shows and listened to countless hours of their music. We had walls full of 1960's posters and Hindu religious art both of which were my earliest art inspirations.

Along w/ the Skull & Roses, we had these as well-

You can see all those influences on my art still-
influenced.png
Really cool thanks for sharing

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't sat down and drawn anything for like a year, but someone in the Game Awards Thread said something about On the Nature of Daylight and I just let that run for a few hours while I messed around

and the only reason I'm even posting this is becuase fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I cannot get it to look like Amy Adams for the life of me

z1jXDmq.png

I wish I had saved the pixel perfect Anna Kendrick it came out as initially

And then the fairly good Daisy Ridley it looked like after

Still no Amy Adams though

Last edited:

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Must be nice being talented, some fantastic stuff in here :(
No :(s allowed

You can be just as good as 95% of the people in here in 12-18 months

And as good as any of them not long after that

I do mostly pixel art and can count the number of bona fide digital paintings I've done on one hand. It's not some mysterious gift or secret skill. 90% of the journey is some very basic knowledge and general, purposeful observational skills. I can't definitively speak for anyone else, but you could certainly blow me out of the water with a year of light-to-moderate study of a fraction of the resources listed in the OP.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Secret Anna (Santa) gift that I can finally show off!

And non-music note version in case the music notes be distracting lol:

file

Last edited: