• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Someone gave me a new moleskine yesterday so I drew a little bit.

1nH7cMB.jpg

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

Tonight's practice sketch. I'm receiving my Ipad Pro next week, can't wait to try Procreate!

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got a new iPad Pro a few days ago, my old one was from 2011! So here's my first drawing in Procreate (except a few back then in Procreate 1, lol)

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's been six months since I got my tablet and I'm steadily getting the hang of things.

Below piece is still very much WIP, being a cleaned up sketch, but I wanted to share it since I am already quite proud of how it turned out. Before I got my tablet I used to sketch something, quickly declare it ugly and throw it away. But now I keep working on it until it turns into something I like. Feels really good to look at an image and know it's your own work. (Or most of it at least—for this drawing I heavily relied on an anime screenshot for her head.)

Fdmffn2.png

Character is Jirou Kyouka from MHA btw.

Ketchup

Nov 5, 2017
I've made a whole bunch of valentine's cards designs, really pleased with how they've all turned out. Here's just a couple below.

i-love-you-cat-valentines-card.jpg
i-licked-you.jpg
valentines-day-chocolates.jpg
i-donut-know-what-id-do-without-you.jpg

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Nice! I like the pose you gave him.

I also did a Zelda fan art last night while watching the Zelda relay race at AGDQ. Tried to do it as a drawing speedrun of sorts for myself on this. I'll toss it into the "maybe I'll finish it later" pile.

I hope you all have a great art-filled 2020!

Cheers! Your piece is awesome. So much dynamism in that pose despite such a big and awkward character. That mouth flap alone does so much work.

I need to get way more comfortable painting. Been doing storyboards for years, and honestly have lost a lot of momentum with my painting skills.

Hats off to kicking off a good art year!

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Does anyone have any tips on avoiding frustrations in the learning process? I'm going through one of the suggested Loomis books and nothing I'm drawing feels precise or right.

Also how do I put pictures in here? I'd like to upload for more help.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34725

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Does anyone have any tips on avoiding frustrations in the learning process? I'm going through one of the suggested Loomis books and nothing I'm drawing feels precise or right.

Also how do I put pictures in here? I'd like to upload for more help.

I upload from instagram using the "insert media" button and simply copy/pasting the link.

Learning to draw can be frustrating, especially at first when you're trying to begin understanding the fundamentals. If you post some of your sketches/studies I can give more specific advice/tips that may help.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I upload from instagram using the "insert media" button and simply copy/pasting the link.

Learning to draw can be frustrating, especially at first when you're trying to begin understanding the fundamentals. If you post some of your sketches/studies I can give more specific advice/tips that may help.

Okay I'll see about making a spare Instagram or something for my art!

Or maybe I could try a Tumblr?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Which program(s) and what brushes does everyone use? Aside from actually drawing, finding the right brushes has been the biggest challenge for me thus far. Though it feels l like I finally found what I was looking for in the form of Clip Studio Paint's rough pencil preset — for the line art at least; colors are still a bridge too far at this point. But the rough pencil feels a lot like the graphite heavy pencils I was already used to and does a great job imitating the real deal.

For example, my current progress on Jirou:

It might even do a better job than real pencils in the way I can easily increase or reduce pressure for thicker or lighter lines, which should help a ton with cross-hatching.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which program(s) and what brushes does everyone use? Aside from actually drawing, finding the right brushes has been the biggest challenge for me thus far. Though it feels l like I finally found what I was looking for in the form of Clip Studio Paint's rough pencil preset — for the line art at least; colors are still a bridge too far at this point. But the rough pencil feels a lot like the graphite heavy pencils I was already used to and does a great job imitating the real deal.
For pencils I use this free pencil set made by DAUB (scroll down a little and it's the last one). Out of the set I personally use the soft one. Inks I use a brush out of Frenden's inker set called Dry Dan though this set will cost you $6 if you just want those. And Frenden does have a mega CSP brush pack that's $15 and honestly it was a great investment for the variety of brushes that you can get. There's 800 of them so that's a lot to pick and choose from if you plan to make CSP your main art program like myself. Coloring is something I'm still figuring out, so I don't have any brush recommendations on that front yet.

A rough example of what they look like using Rey here because I can (for drawing/sketching I use a dark gray):

Also this is my first post in here lol. Hi everyone.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
First post in here, ahoy hoy!

Did a concept of a reimagined Kyle Travers! Here he is Guy's protege, so there is a Rock Howard style fusion of Cody and Guy's styles!
mj6d6gN.jpg

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
For pencils I use this free pencil set made by DAUB (scroll down a little and it's the last one). Out of the set I personally use the soft one. Inks I use a brush out of Frenden's inker set called Dry Dan though this set will cost you $6 if you just want those. And Frenden does have a mega CSP brush pack that's $15 and honestly it was a great investment for the variety of brushes that you can get. There's 800 of them so that's a lot to pick and choose from if you plan to make CSP your main art program like myself. Coloring is something I'm still figuring out, so I don't have any brush recommendations on that front yet.

A rough example of what they look like using Rey here because I can (for drawing/sketching I use a dark gray):

Also this is my first post in here lol. Hi everyone.
Thank! I'll check them out tomorrow. I've looked for a few brush packs myself, but so far I have been hesitent to pay for them since it is hard to tell if they really offer what you are looking for.

First post in here, ahoy hoy!

Did a concept of a reimagined Kyle Travers! Here he is Guy's protege, so there is a Rock Howard style fusion of Cody and Guy's styles!
mj6d6gN.jpg
Hey, that looks good. Not sure if it's intended, but I think it emulates that distinctive style of concept art from SFV quite well.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Pretty cool thread! I sadly haven't been able to do much personal art recently but i did manage to dig up some stuff i did for school back in 2018.

1e4ouTg5nNMpFbkWu2vSPFfYI4iAMhVzn

Looking back at that goofy "lore" I wrote is hilarious, this then ended up as a short 3D animation, honestly I didn't really like the way it turned out but I only had a month to get everything together so I ended up rushing mostly everything aside from the modeling and rigging.

Thankfully I've learned a lot since then and working as a technical artist rocket boosted my knowledge, wish I could share more recent stuff I've done but that's gotta wait until the our project is actually out D:

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Hey, that looks good. Not sure if it's intended, but I think it emulates that distinctive style of concept art from SFV quite well.
Actually, it is! Or more accurately, I took some art lessons from SFV's concept art. Most importantly, don't sweat the details or even total anatomical accuracy, messy lines are encouraged. You can figure out exactly what character design you want with some messy coloring

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Still shaking off the dust, but I feel like I'm getting there more, kinda

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
ddohmzc-8dd3c34f-bf76-4cd2-974b-93043cf0f20c.gif

First animation test! 1h on Procreate.
Just a rough sketch to get familiar with the Ipad. I'l try some walk cycle tomorrow!

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
I've be resigned to my phone and finger to paint the last while and I'm excited that I'm starting to get used to it.

I've got a rotation of ideas that I'm going to do involving my DND party next.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I made some rare pixel art. I haven't done any in a while and I rarely post stuff online, but felt inspired for once. Got a bit tired when doing it so some parts are unfinished and look wonky, but all in all pretty satisfied with how it turned out. Might try drawing something with some more interesting poses later on.

Last edited:

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
After being away from Blender for more than two years, I decided to get back to it, and after a few tests and tutorials, I decided to make something original. This is a typical type of carnival party in Brazil, but I decided to add a few political comments on top of it. The name comes from the mixing of the words "carnaval" (carnival) and "armagedom" (armaggedon) in Portuguese.

carnagedom_by_dd_power_ddoopts-fullview.jpg

DGrade

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
You guys are sooooo talented! Beautiful artwork all of you, really. I feel inspired. Long time lurker here, I haven't drawn months maybe even years. I plan on changing that this year.

Not original work but it's a start. Still have a lot to learn using procreate. I feel like I could've saved so much more time if I knew how to use layers/masks and other tools better. haha

Just went through a tough breakup last week, art and the gym have distracted me just enough to keep me going. 😌

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Did a quick..(well 4 hours) animation in flipaclip for fun. Can anyone recommend a good animatio programme for the ipad? The pen options aren't great in flipaclip. I know procreate can do it but that seems to be layer based.

edit: I haven't updated my ipad in a little while and the latest version of procreate needed it so the downloading the latest version was not working. Did not realise that.

Last edited:

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick project made entirely on Blender 3D, called: Garden of Eden: before the grand opening.

gardenofedenbeforetheeukja.png

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Update on Menat.

I think her face turned out well, even though the perfectionist in me thinks it could be a lot better. Still, given that this is the first time I drew the eyes, nose and mouth without any assistance, except for a few glances at her in-game model to help me determine the shapes... I think I can be satisfied with the result.

I also spent some time finetuning her pose since she looked so static in the first version. I mostly tried to manipulate the muscles. If I stretch this part, what will happen to that part? That sort of thing. The effects aren't all that noticeable, but it was still a very valuable exercise.

kQRWM2V.jpg

Almost time to begin work on the (*gulp*) shadows.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I spent last week working on a new drawing of Futaba Sakura from Persona 5 fame.

mTHO1Ag.jpg

My main goal here was to try and emulate the style Persona 5 uses for its in-game models, which is very cartoony and elongated, almost noodly, especially the torsos. I think I did a decent job. I'm quite happy with how her face and eyes turned out as well.

I actually wanted to draw her big, white overshirt and finish her shorts tonight, but instead I spent hours on cleaning up the lineart. I like sketchy, graphite heavy drawings, but I've realized the lineart needs to be thin and clean, because otherwise it quickly turns into a giant mess the moment you start adding elements. I can always make the lines thicker when I'm done.

The pose is actually from Menat again, which actually works as a joke since Futaba and Menat share the same voice actors in both English and Japanese. I haven't drawn it yet, but I'm going to replace Menat's crystal ball with Futaba's second persona, Prometheus... which takes the form of a giant floating TRON ball. How convenient!