• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
ddpk9bo-63f7826e-da9f-40c1-84c6-6e5d916ef344.png
ddpk9by-1de1694d-524e-4986-adca-fc4df0af9b81.png

Two random ipad sketches!
Oh my, I love your style!

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of left field? But can I hire anyone to do a piece for me. Been looking around but every time I reach out I either don't get answers or they won't do it. It's nothing lewd so maybe just out of their skillset?

I don't want to post a request, especially if this isn't the right place. If it's the wrong place can I be directed to the right place?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Inked another pretty lady, my waifu 2B

[/QUOTE]
More stuff from the personal project I've been working on:

ddohmzc-8dd3c34f-bf76-4cd2-974b-93043cf0f20c.gif

First animation test! 1h on Procreate.
Just a rough sketch to get familiar with the Ipad. I'l try some walk cycle tomorrow!
You guys are sooooo talented! Beautiful artwork all of you, really. I feel inspired. Long time lurker here, I haven't drawn months maybe even years. I plan on changing that this year.

Not original work but it's a start. Still have a lot to learn using procreate. I feel like I could've saved so much more time if I knew how to use layers/masks and other tools better. haha

Just went through a tough breakup last week, art and the gym have distracted me just enough to keep me going. 😌

Very well done!

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Shadows are definitely my biggest challenge at the moment. I just don't know how to approach them, both in placement and what brushes/techniques I should use. I guess I should look up some tutorials instead of trying (and failing) to reinvent the wheel myself.

At least the lineart is almost completely done now. Only the orb needs more work.

VqhUud0.jpg

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it fits here, but last year I decided to play with Art Academy on the Nintendo DS. When I reached the boat lesson, I gave up because it seemed too complex, and Vincent (the app teacher) didn't gave me the proper colors (and I couldn't mix it myself), so it was kind of frustrating. Recently, as a way to deal with my depression and anxiety, I decided to give it another try and finished it with different colors anyway. I'm not really happy with the boat itself, but I learned a lot by doing it, including developing my own techniques, which is great and it feels awesome! The results are obviously different from Vincent's, but in some aspect I think that I actually did better than him. Unfortunately I didn't remember to picture both versions together. It's an offscreen shot, so keep in mind that it actually looks better than that, but here it is:

EPh8SZ4WoAASavM

And yesterday I finished the lesson of the pink lily, and I'm really happy with it. Vincent's painting is on top, and mine's the bottom one.

EP91uAVXUAAIT0y

EDIT: slightly bigger picture:
EP91uAVXUAAIT0y

Thanks a lot! It's still a bit wonky but I'm working on it! These are daily Ipad practices, here's the one from today :

Awesome! I'm following you already. I really really dig your style. That blue girl with an afro is so friggin' good!

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, did this earlier this week:
EQMewxvXYAEgaLE

OCs all day everyday.

NSFW version with even more anatomy problems here:
https://sta.sh/01qx62nf11zq

omg i didn't expect that to preview--unfurl FALSE

Not exactly the angle and perspective or even style I was going for, but I didn't plan very well as is per usual. lol

Last edited:

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Quick black and white drawing from Saturday morning... swipe right for all the action

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if it fits here, but last year I decided to play with Art Academy on the Nintendo DS. When I reached the boat lesson, I gave up because it seemed too complex, and Vincent (the app teacher) didn't gave me the proper colors (and I couldn't mix it myself), so it was kind of frustrating. Recently, as a way to deal with my depression and anxiety, I decided to give it another try and finished it with different colors anyway. I'm not really happy with the boat itself, but I learned a lot by doing it, including developing my own techniques, which is great and it feels awesome! The results are obviously different from Vincent's, but in some aspect I think that I actually did better than him. Unfortunately I didn't remember to picture both versions together. It's an offscreen shot, so keep in mind that it actually looks better than that, but here it is:

EPh8SZ4WoAASavM

And yesterday I finished the lesson of the pink lily, and I'm really happy with it. Vincent's painting is on top, and mine's the bottom one.

EP91uAVXUAAIT0y

EDIT: slightly bigger picture:
EP91uAVXUAAIT0y

Awesome! I'm following you already. I really really dig your style. That blue girl with an afro is so friggin' good!
Have you tried the Pokémon Art Academy? I thought that one was a lot of fun. Felt like a spiritual successor to Pokémon Snap, but instead of photographing Pokémon, you drew them.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
Some of my most recent ink and watercolor illustrations. I tend to go through long periods of plateauing followed by brief incremental growth. I'm in a growth phase now, these works being much more competent and interesting than those that immediately preceded them.

and then I'll get comfortable and not try anything new for another 6 months lol

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
^^^
Man, so much cool stuff! You guys rock!

Have you tried the Pokémon Art Academy? I thought that one was a lot of fun. Felt like a spiritual successor to Pokémon Snap, but instead of photographing Pokémon, you drew them.
No, unfortunately (and as much as I' love to own one) I don't have a 3DS. Mine's an old DSi XL.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Question about digital art pieces. How do you guys usually decide on what size/res canvas to start work on? Is it just whatever you feel like or do you have some science or standard behind it?

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Question about digital art pieces. How do you guys usually decide on what size/res canvas to start work on? Is it just whatever you feel like or do you have some science or standard behind it?

I usually start with a square canvas for everything these days because otherwise you have to bullshit around to make it work on IG (either cut it down or add blank area).

And as far as res: 5000x5000 is 300 ppi (a good standard print res) at a little less than 17". That's what I usually do. Then if you wind up wanting to make a good size print of something, you're covered. And you can always scale stuff down for jpegs.

4000x4000 is about 13 1/4" or so, so that's not bad either if you're worried about file sizes. But the smaller you go, the less you have to zoom in before you start seeing jaggy pixels in your lines. Procreate has a default template of 2048 x 2048 (a little under 7"), but after doing a couple of drawings at that size it was way too small/low res for me, so I saved a new template at 5000x5000.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
What is a good budget tablet + pen for sketching and doodling? Should I just go with an iPad?

Depends on your budget! But I'm really partial to Ipad Pro+Apple Pen 2 + Procreate. I didn't touch my usual 21" screen tablet and paper sketchbook since I bought one last month. It's the dream mobile art studio.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I also work with 5000x5000. I started with 3000x3000, but A) my default brush size, already not that big at 10px, was too thick for this resolution; and B) I often found myself working at 200% or more zoom level, which is a clear indicator your canvas is too small.

At 5000x5000 I usually work at 50% zoom level when I draw big things like torso, limbs, etc., and 75 - 100% is fine for most smaller elements like hands, feet and facial features. I only switch to 150% for details like the iris, eyelashes, nails and hair details., but that's OK because at 150% the drawing isn't such a pixely mess as it would be on the 200% - 400% zoom level I'd need at a 3000x3000 resolution.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I use 2 sizes that work best for me and my needs.
-12"x15" (3600 x 4500) 300 resolution
-16"x9" (4800 x 2700) 300 resolution

These are also size dimensions that work with Instagram.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I also work with 5000x5000. I started with 3000x3000, but A) my default brush size, already not that big at 10px, was too thick for this resolution; and B) I often found myself working at 200% or more zoom level, which is a clear indicator your canvas is too small.

At 5000x5000 I usually work at 50% zoom level when I draw big things like torso, limbs, etc., and 75 - 100% is fine for most smaller elements like hands, feet and facial features. I only switch to 150% for details like the iris, eyelashes, nails and hair details., but that's OK because at 150% the drawing isn't such a pixely mess as it would be on the 200% - 400% zoom level I'd need at a 3000x3000 resolution.
I use 2 sizes that work best for me and my needs.
-12"x15" (3600 x 4500) 300 resolution
-16"x9" (4800 x 2700) 300 resolution

These are also size dimensions that work with Instagram.
Thank you guys so much for your advice!

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

Double Ghost Girls

Edit : third post in a row, I'll just update this one! Y'all better be drawing too! No time to slack, PRODUCE SOME DOPE ART!

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Akumatica He's SWOLE! Nice work, your colors are always super solid !

Boss in vacation today, so I had time to sneak-draw some random stuff !

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Stumbled into an anatomy art book I forgot I had, so I decided to practice drawing muscles in the arm and back. It's challenging, but really fun as well. First I drew them from memory (left) and then with the art book next to me (right):

W1XrV3r.jpg

Part of me fears I am feeding my perfectionism too much by trying to get all the anatomy right, but on the other hand: I spent the better part of the night looking at these muscles and it's experience I can draw from (heh) in all my subsequent works.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Animation done a while ago on procreate. I sorta wish the timeline had layers as well. I love doing animation but it sure gets tedious at times and I find myself rushing in places as I get tired.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I have a three day weekend so I had a choice between drawing and videogames..

Going to focus most on videogames, I guess! lol I have to finish my Fire Emblem 3 Houses playthroughs.

"Quickly" drew this though, OC Ennes will be playing as Byleth for the Black Eagles route!

ERdxDaXWoAA4HZ2.jpg:large

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Anybody here has an iPad pro w/ Apple pencil and procreate? Any feedback you can give about it? What size of iPad do you own, and how has it impacted your drawing habits thus far? I'm really curious, I really wanna indulge in one, but it's pricey, so I'm looking for some opinions and advices before taking the leap (if at all). Thanks in advance for your kind answers!

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody here has an iPad pro w/ Apple pencil and procreate? Any feedback you can give about it? What size of iPad do you own, and how has it impacted your drawing habits thus far? I'm really curious, I really wanna indulge in one, but it's pricey, so I'm looking for some opinions and advices before taking the leap (if at all). Thanks in advance for your kind answers!

Its great and extremely useful, even if you have the older iPad Pro (like the one I have, the big model). I would highly recommend Clip Studio over Procreate though, way more robust and much, much better drawing engine

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

My advice : buy a paper like protector (20€ on amazon). Gamechanger.

I have a Pro 12,9, and use procreate everyday now. I didn't touch my regular screen tablet and real paper sketchbook since I bought the Ipad, it's a life changing device.

Edit :

Today's sketches

Last edited:

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Its great and extremely useful, even if you have the older iPad Pro (like the one I have, the big model). I would highly recommend Clip Studio over Procreate though, way more robust and much, much better drawing engine
My advice : buy a paper like protector (20€ on amazon). Gamechanger.

I have a Pro 12,9, and use procreate everyday now. I didn't touch my regular screen tablet and real paper sketchbook since I bought the Ipad, it's a life changing device.

Thanks for both of your feedback, I'll defo indulge as soon as I financially can. And yeah, I already planned on buying a paper-like protector as well, I heard so many amazing things about it I ought to test it out!

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
since i can draw robots somewhat well but i can't draw women at all, i recently started tracing photographs I've taken of women and turn them into robots. Here's my latest creation (i stole the background from the interwebs)

DdAWnPZ.jpg