• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
posted on behalf of Erik Twice from the 'adopt-a-user' thread

I read this article on a Japanese company that rents out actors to pose as family, friends or even spouses and it's...very worth discussing.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/11/paying-for-fake-friends-and-family/545060/

Here's a brief excerpt that captures the essence of the company perfectly:

Morin:
When was your first success?

Yuichi: I played a father for a 12-year-old with a single mother. The girl was bullied because she didn't have a dad, so the mother rented me. I've acted as the girl's father ever since. I am the only real father that she knows.

Morin: And this is ongoing?

Yuichi: Yes, I've been seeing her for eight years. She just graduated high school.

Morin: Does she understand that you're not her real father?

Yuichi: No, the mother hasn't told her.

What say you ERA?

thanks mods for title change

Last edited:

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. I get the idea behind such a service. However from that example I can only imagine the therapy this could result in once the truth is out when you this far.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finding out that your dad is some stranger that had to be paid to spend time with you would be seriously fucked up.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
On paper it's a little weird but I guess I could see cases where necessary.

That example in the OP reads like an Onion article.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, reading it, it almost seemed unreal.
I got some weird futuristic Blade Runner prequel vibe from it.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Wow! I'm surprised I've never heard of this in Japan.
There's a manual for everything in this company. We use psychology to determine the optimal outcome. In this case, the standard tactic is to make me look like a yakuza [gangster]. Typically, I arrive with the wife, and the husband is there, and suddenly I will just bow then deeply apologize. Usually, the husband will berate me, but because I appear to be a yakuza, he won't pursue the matter further.
Hahahahaha!!!
Morin: What is your favorite role?

Yuichi: It doesn't happen often, but there are cases when I have to be a groom. There are situations where parents pressure a daughter to marry—if she's a lesbian, for example. So, they have an entire wedding, and it's a fake wedding, except for the client's family. The friends, and everyone else are fake. My side is all fake. Fifty fake people all pretending it's real. The cost is 2 million yen, for everyone.
This is surreal and amazing.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I look forward to a documentary on this. The more of the article I read, the weirder it is. Some of the questions asked are outside what I'd typically expect from an interview, and that's quite interesting.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This is fascinating.

Also, whatever. The GFE is fine and I honestly don't see the problem with this.

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, great article

This is basically Dollhouse without the sci-fi part

But the girl will one day discover the father she knew wasn't real, I can't even imagine how she'd feel

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Well, it is Japan so I'm not surprised. There is a TV show on Saturday afternoon that has a segment that is sort of connected.

The "talent" on the show watch video footage of a family and they have to guess which member of the family is an actor. The last scene is always the actor saying goodbye to the family and inevitably at least one of the kids starts crying.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Wow.

On the surface, this is super scummy and manipulative, but the dude in the interview takes it so seriously, and seems to do such a good job, that I don't know. He's the perfect father to this girl. The mother requested that he never yell, and provide wise advice. So, he does. He may just be lying to her, but he's also providing something most people are not lucky enough to have.

And he's committed. He says that when the mother first hired him, he asked whether she could truly commit to the lie, and in return, he promised to keep it going indefinitely. So, he's promised to be at the daughter' wedding, be a grandfather to her kids, everything. He has no family of his own.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
When you first start reading you think, 'i can imagine how that would work and makes sense.' It's backup friends at party you're hosting, characters that fill in the background that are likely never seen again (the 'fake husband to help a single mom get her child into a private school' example sticks out). But then it starts getting into recurring roles and you realize that this is suuuuuuuuper unethical.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't have a real girlfriend right now. Real dating feels like work. It feels like work to care for a real person.

That's a very good question. I'm not sure. There was one case of a man in his 60s. His wife died, and he wanted to order another copy of her. We provided that.

Fuck, this is depressing.

I could use a friend. I wonder how much they charge per day.

Apparently they charge about $50 an hour, based on what the mother of the girl mentioned in the OP pays (plus expenses like shopping trips).

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Wow man. This might be the most interesting thing I've read in a very long time. It's very contemplative, and his insights are fascinating.

Last edited:

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel so sorry for that girl, to spend your life thinking an actor is your father is incredibly fucked up.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The girl gonna realize when she said she was a fan of the Truman show, she may of been too big a fan.

She'll wake up and learn her own Dad is a hired part.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
When you first start reading you think, 'i can imagine how that would work and makes sense.' It's backup friends at party you're hosting, characters that fill in the background that are likely never seen again (the 'fake husband to help a single mom get her child into a private school' example sticks out). But then it starts getting into recurring roles and you realize that this is suuuuuuuuper unethical.
Stuff like posing as a dad for someone's school entrance stuff or helping someone get out of marrying someone they don't want to because they're gay and can't come out due to the culture is one thing, but the story with that mom and daughter is insane.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel so sorry for that girl, to spend your life thinking an actor is your father is incredibly fucked up.
Is it? I think she will later appreciate the happiness.
What could the mother do? Her daughter gets bullied because she decided to raise her child alone. I would play a role like he did. It will give the daughter a lot and she grows up to be a good human being.

From the other Thread:
Its one of the reasons I personally like specific ASMR videos a lot. It gives you a feeling of not being alone, being appreciated in this colder growing world. For me it shows how people outside the internet behave and now advertising has changed how we perceive other human beings, at least that is my opinion. It seems like the pressure for a lot of things rises every year as we only picture perfect in a lot of parts of our life's.

The part about the 12 year old is sad... . Why bully someone because of this?

I think some of the "harder" parts work or may not as hard because you are partly acting. Going down on all fours to say sorry is your job in that situation and you probably try not to let it affect you that much.

I would hire a fake girlfriend as an example... . =P

Edit: He sounds like a kind man and somebody that thinks a lot about concepts like reality. Also, all these small moments of happiness like the grandchild moment or the 12 year old mentioned above. They are so happy, yet wouldn't be needed if other people would not be assholes. =/

In the end, what is real?
Everybody should ask themself this question and think about how many illusions you see for yourself every day.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You put up with the bullying and grow as a person, how damaging on your psyche would it be to find out your mother set up this lie and the man you thought was your father is a paid actor?

As for him being a kind man? He's a predator preying on cowards.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's a weird cottage industry where you can buy emotional support. I think it was a Vice thing I was watching where someone rented a friend to help come out to his mom.