• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see The Avengers Project at the TGAs?

• Yes

Votes: 216 76.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SE also said 2018 would be a big year for Final Fantasy, the biggest FF news this year is FFXV DLC cancelled. I don't give a crap about what SE said.

OP
OP
DMVfan123

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It will definitely be there. And it will suck DMVfan123

JK
463326180498604042.png

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I am hopeful Avengers will be there, and (more hopefully) that it will look/be good. Anyways I am excited for TGA, just wish it wasn't that late over here...

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm about 90% sure this is just going to be a lootbox fueled grindfest but I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I'm dying for a solid open world game where I can play as Iron Man. Hopefully it will be the kind of game you can also play on your own.
It's fueled by Disney and Marvel brands. It's a money-machine just like the movies and it was imposed over these creative studios. I won't expect anything else.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wasn't it already known that Eidos Montreal were working on the game?

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Imagine TGA getting Crystal Dynamics Avengers, AND Rocksteady's theoretical Justice League at the same show. That would be bonkers.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
..That didn't even occur to me. God I hope it isnt first person.
So, originally the game was described in job postings as a "third-person cover-based action adventure game" with "stealth, player weapons and tools, cover and melee-based mechanics."

Later it was just described as a third person action-adventure game.

Technically nothing describes the camera anymore.

However, you have made me realize that all of Eidos Montreal's internally generates games (so skipping Tomb Raider, which was already defined by Crystal Dynamics), have been first person, so I wonder if Guardians of the Galaxy will be too.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Is this project being headed up by Tore Blystad, the game director of Hitman Absolution, or does Crystal Dynamics have two in-house teams?
He's the Creative Director, yeah.

They hired a Game Director for The Avengers in March 2018 though, who is David Fifield.

You can see why I'm less convinced about how far along this game is than some.

I guess he could be a co-Game Director with Brandon Fernandez.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine TGA getting Crystal Dynamics Avengers, AND Rocksteady's theoretical Justice League at the same show. That would be bonkers.

This would be a dream come true for me lol. Been waiting forever to find out what these 2 games actually are, and its about time for them to finally show them off.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Dang, how big is Eidos Montreal that they can handle the load of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AND be working on, presumably, their own Marvel game at the same time.

Jul 13, 2018
He's the Creative Director, yeah.

They hired a Game Director for The Avengers in March 2018 though, who is David Fifield.

You can see why I'm less convinced about how far along this game is than some.

I guess he could be a co-Game Director with Brandon Fernandez.
How common is it for a studio to only hire a Game Director a few years into a game's development? Unless of course, Brandon Fernandez has been overseeing the project since it's inception (late 2015). Also, Shaun Escayg was hired in early 2018, so I imagine they most likely have multiple Creative Directors on the game (could be split between single and multiplayer modes).

In terms of a 2018 reveal, I'm guessing the Game Awards would be the most logical choice. Again, it could also take place on a random Thursday in November. Skipping 2018 entirely is also not out of the realm of possibility.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, how big is Eidos Montreal that they can handle the load of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AND be working on, presumably, their own Marvel game at the same time.
They have 636 employees on LinkedIn, and that wouldn't include every staff member in all likelihood.

How common is it for a studio to only hire a Game Director a few years into a game's development? Unless of course, Brandon Fernandez has been overseeing the project since it's inception (late 2015). Also, Shaun Escayg was hired in early 2018, so I imagine they most likely have multiple Creative Directors on the game (could be split between single and multiplayer modes).

In terms of a 2018 reveal, I'm guessing the Game Awards would be the most logical choice. Again, it could also take place on a random Thursday in November. Skipping 2018 entirely is also not out of the realm of possibility.
Thinking about this actually, I wonder if the game didn't have any traditional singleplayer campaign for a long time, and then they hired a bunch of staff in 2018 to oversee one and get it done quickly (~2-2.5 years), because the stuff mentioning singleplayer only started appearing early this year (mostly with very senior positions), whereas the multiplayer stuff was there from the start and continues to be there.

It might be a Battlefront 2 type situation now that I think about it.

Jul 13, 2018
Thinking about this actually, I wonder if the game didn't have any traditional singleplayer campaign for a long time, and then they hired a bunch of staff in 2018 to oversee one and get it done quickly (~2-2.5 years), because the stuff mentioning singleplayer only started appearing early this year (mostly with very senior positions), whereas the multiplayer stuff was there from the start and continues to be there.

It might be a Battlefront 2 type situation now that I think about it.
Yeah, I remember a linkedin job posting around late 2017 looking for a senior producer for a single player campaign. Since the initial press release, they've emphasized an "original story", but to what extent remains to be seen. Maybe the addition of a dedicated single player campaign has resulted in a delay? This is of course assuming that single player hasn't been Crystal/Eidos' main focus since the beginning.

Last edited:

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
My theory is Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal are both making their separate games, with the Crystal Dynamics game being much further along than the Eidos game.

Correct me if this is proven to be wrong though.

OP
OP
DMVfan123

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

Hmm, same guy who leaked that the Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, and Far From Home dates is saying that a Marvel announcement is coming tomorrow
I wonder if there's anything significant happening then, like maybe an awards show where they announce games?
469.gif

Last edited:

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Their needs to be a Noctis cameo in the avengers project, so we can finally solve the age-old question of whether the Ring of the Lucii is more or less powerful than the gem-glove-thing that kills half the world

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The Avengers Project is a title that a lot of gamers have been looking forward to hearing more about. Well, yesterday, a user by the name of AvengersSE on Twitter discovered that Crystal Dynamics has updated their site to include The Avengers Project, with a new press release that indicated that they will be collaborating with Eidos Montreal
https://twitter.com/AvengersSE/status/1061363875961061377
https://twitter.com/AvengersSE/status/1061386644006277128
DrrNhl2UUAAax5m.jpg

Drq40OuU8AAl8Gx.jpg

Recently, two employees at Marvel Games have also teased the progress that they have been making with the project and are looking forward to sharing more of it

Square Enix said that "More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018." The TGAs sound like a perfect place to announce those "details", plus another trailer to accompany them. I wonder what Geoff Keighley has to say about this?

This isn't directed towards just you, but everyone, please stop @ing Geoff. Dude is in the final planning stages for a program he puts incredible amounts of time and money into every year, and is right now in the final crunch and likely surviving solely on coffee and anxiety right now. I'm sure he doesn't have time to check ResetERA to check 20 million users calling him out in threads like this