• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm sure it will get overlooked by most and I understand why given the competition but damn......Insomniac did such a great job with Spider-Man.

like many mentioned before me, Spider-man is this year's Horizon ZD....A worthy game that's released on the wrong year.

But for Spider-man, it's the fastest selling PS exclusive in history so i don't think Insomniac is crying...in fact, i think they are getting their big bonus this year.

Also, i think Kotaku will give it to RDR2. For whatever reason, Kotaku seems pretty hostile about Playstation games this year so i don't think they will give it to GoW.

Oct 27, 2017
According to goty picks there are now 10 awards for both RDR2 and GOW.

As usual according to Resetera GOW would have won a lot more GOTY awards than RDR2 because it's simply a much better game, but that's far from the truth. I don't honestly care which one will receive the most awards, but it's funny reading people here considering websites not credible if they don't give the GOTY award to God of War.

This is not a The Last of Us vs GTA V situation. Red Dead Redemption 2 is far better than GTA V, so the ending result will be much closer.

Why are many here on Resetera pushing God of War so much while not accepting that both games have strenghts and weaknesses and yet both can be considered GOTY?

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018

As usual according to Resetera GOW would have won a lot more GOTY awards than RDR2 because it's simply a much better game, but that's far from the truth. I don't honestly care which one will receive the most awards, but it's funny reading people here considering websites not credible if they don't give the GOTY award to God of War.

This is not a The Last of Us vs GTA V situation. Red Dead Redemption 2 is far better than GTA V, so the ending result will be much closer.

Why are many here on Resetera pushing God of War so much while not accepting that both games have strenghts and weaknesses and yet both can be considered GOTY?

Some were saying that RDR 2 was going to sweep....

Oct 27, 2017
Some were saying that RDR 2 was going to sweep....

But most were saying it was going to be a TLOU vs GTA V situation or hope that GOW will win more, just read first page. I don't think that will happen. It's quite clear to me that outside Resetera both games have been received as great games, both deserving GOTY.

GTA V received amazing reviews but did nothing particularly good, so it was quite forgettable compared to TLOU, while RDR2 even being flawed in controls, still has a lot of memorable moments in open world gameplay, story, setting and characters.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think saying it would be a TLoU/GTA situation was speaking to the amount (it definitely wasn't for me). It was more about GoW GoW ending up with more than RDR2 when it was all said and done.

Anyway, I guess the flood of awards should be coming next week?

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
But most were saying it was going to be a TLOU vs GTA V situation or hope that GOW will win more, just read first page. I don't think that will happen. It's quite clear to me that outside Resetera both games have been received as great games, both deserving GOTY.

GTA V received amazing reviews but did nothing particularly good, so it was quite forgettable compared to TLOU, while RDR2 even being flawed in controls, still has a lot of memorable moments in open world gameplay, story, setting and characters.

Who do you think has the advantage?

I think RDR 2 will get more awards voted by fans, just because its more popular and a multiplat

Oct 27, 2017
Who do you think has the advantage?

I think RDR 2 will get more awards voted by fans, just because its more popular and a multiplat

I don't know who will win, RDR2 is more popular, but God of War is popular too, Kratos is basically Playstation's Mario.

Anyway, i don't think there will be a huge advantage of one upon the other. Both deserve to be GOTY, but i'm just saying it isn't cool to downplay everything RDR2 does well just because someone thinks God of War is the better game.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017

only a few picked GOW the mayority pick a sweep for RDR 2 not because is a better game but is a mass appealing mainstream game.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got this Gid of War game in shrink wrap, so fear not ERA, I shall return to you with a true answer soon enough.

I expect my resulting conclusion to be updated in the OP as in proper whenever I actually play the game.

And make sure my results part of the OP is prettier than the rest. Make it in lavender (it's not purple, there is a difference, please take the time to recognize it) with 12 point leading. DO NOT MAKE IT 22 POINT LEADING. Last person who had the audacity to do that to me was viciously attacked by me verbally.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I don't know who will win, RDR2 is more popular, but God of War is popular too, Kratos is basically Playstation's Mario.

Anyway, i don't think there will be a huge advantage of one upon the other. Both deserve to be GOTY, but i'm just saying it isn't cool to downplay everything RDR2 does well just because someone thinks God of War is the better game.

I don't give much credit to some of those websites.

-One of them even listed Fallout 76 as number 6 of 2018
-The Guardian is basically one person at the gaming department
-Metacritic just puts together the highest rated games and that counts as a list/top

All of this makes TGA the only award that matters in the end

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
By that logic, VGX is the only voting that mattered in 2013 and GTA 5 was the undisputed GOTY of that year.

It is what it is

Another example from this year at the Australian game awards:

Detroit nominated for best Rpg

I mean, c'mon now. Some of those websites don't know a crap about video games.
AT least at the TGA they know what they're doing and all games are judge under the same rules

For the record, i think TLOU is much better that GTA V

Oct 27, 2017
Don't pick up individual websites, there are always some questionable choices, but in the general scheme of things, when every vote is added there is one clear indication, it's a tie or a slight edge by one upon the other. There is no sweeping, RDR 2 and GOW both deserve the GOTY award.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I still think god of war will take it. Looking at reactions from reviewers to tga like easy allies so many wanted god of war to win which indicates a few more wins.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
only a few picked GOW the mayority pick a sweep for RDR 2 not because is a better game but is a mass appealing mainstream game.

Surely you're speaking in terms of hype/Rockstar's cachet because GoW is objectively the more accessible game and asks far less of players in terms of patience, effort, and commitment compared to Red Dead 2.

Nov 14, 2017

Agree with you, even though I would like God of War to get the most GOTY awards, I really, really like both games, and whoever 'wins' deserves it.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)

Red Dead Redemption 2 is much better than GTA V and God of War is worse than the Last of Us imo. This should be a much closer race for sure.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 is much better than GTA V and God of War is worse than the Last of Us imo. This should be a much closer race for sure.

Worse?

TLOU has a better story for sure, but GoW is better as a pure videogame

Much better and deeper gameplay mechanics, better world and lore, better looking

TLOU has better story and characters. Maybe the ost too

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Worse?

Much better and deeper gameplay mechanics, better world and lore, better looking

That's not a discussion for this thread, but I think most would agree with me. The world in The Last of Us is much more believable and the pacing is also much better. Also deeper gameplay mechanics doesn't always equal better gameplay.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Worse?

You're overrating GOW reception I think

Look at this https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-is-your-favorite-game-of-the-generation-poll.62927/

God of War was demolished by Witcher 3, BOTW and Bloodborne, while TLOU is constantly considered like one of the best games of all time.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
In my perfect world, GoW would be recognized as the much better game than TLOU. Personal preference for fantasy setting aside, the gameplay is so much more fun and the actual level design felt like it had way more thought put into it.

Though I recognize TLOU paved the way for a lot of storytelling decisions in GoW and was pretty new in that regard, so I do understand the higher scores

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
In my perfect world, GoW would be recognized as the much better game than TLOU. Personal preference for fantasy setting aside, the gameplay is so much more fun and the actual level design felt like it had way more thought put into it.

Though I recognize TLOU paved the way for a lot of storytelling decisions in GoW and was pretty new in that regard, so I do understand the higher scores

Higher?

GoW is 95 on Opencritic

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
This poll literally means nothing, especially on ERA,the place where great games is constantly bashed and niche game,or shit like RE6 is praised.
I mean, do that poll in any forum anywhere and the result would almost be the same, Witcher 3 and Zelda on the top by a large difference and GoW in the #3 spot. Bloodborne is the one particulary loved by GAF/ERA.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Surely you're speaking in terms of hype/Rockstar's cachet because GoW is objectively the more accessible game and asks far less of players in terms of patience, effort, and commitment compared to Red Dead 2.
For us yes, but media and casual gamer they go and buy Read dead at launch you need word of mouth and community like Era for a game like God of War, well that's my opinion.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's my impression, i can definitely be wrong.
It's too early to say how big the gap will be. in 2016, both Uncharted 4 and Overwatch were pretty much tied until both got to 100 awards. At that point it was pretty much all Uncharted 4 for the next 60 that were handed out. Dragon Age Inquisition also started out slow in 2014 before gaining a ton of awards later on. Just b/c RDR2 and God of War are close now doesn't mean it will stay that way.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly the best time of the year for all gaming forums and Twitter. I look forward to all the thoughtful discu...arguments.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
They are both tied up now. I don't think any one game will run away with all the awards this year unlike the previous years.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
They are both tied up now. I don't think any one game will run away with all the awards this year unlike the previous years.

If it stays like this across most media, GOW will probably edges RDR a bit once the PlayStation only sites starts giving awards, and most will probably pick GOW (not trying to imply they're biased, just that if they're PlayStations fans then it's only logical that they like GOW type of games more).

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
That's not a discussion for this thread, but I think most would agree with me. The world in The Last of Us is much more believable and the pacing is also much better. Also deeper gameplay mechanics doesn't always equal better gameplay.

GoW isn't aiming for "believable" though, and its recreation of Norse mythology is far more interesting than the standard post-apocalypse stuff seen in TLOU imo. I'm a big fan of both games but GoW's game direction alone is second to none, and I'm a lot more interested in seeing what SSM will do with GoW2 compared to the direction ND is seemingly taking TLOU2.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it stays like this across most media, GOW will probably edges RDR a bit once the PlayStation only sites starts giving awards, and most will probably pick GOW (not trying to imply they're biased, just that if they're PlayStations fans then it's only logical that they like GOW type of games more).
This site only tracks sites that cover all platforms. Any PlayStation only site won't be listed on it.

May 5, 2018
Has anyone here checked out WhatCulture Gaming's video for their top 10? Wonder if they count towards the game of the year votes for that website on the first page. If anyone wants to watch it, here you go:

10. Dead Cells
9. Monster Hunter World
8. Dragon Ball FighterZ
7. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee
6. Call of Duty Black Ops 4
5. Return of the Obra Dinn
4. God of War
3. Marvel's Spider Man
2. Celeste
1. Red Dead Redemption 2

Bummer Celeste didn't quite beat RDR2, but I think this is the highest ranking Celeste has gotten on any GOTY top 10 list so far, which is great! Otherwise, RDR2 takes home another GOTY win.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
GoW isn't aiming for "believable" though, and its recreation of Norse mythology is far more interesting than the standard post-apocalypse stuff seen in TLOU imo. I'm a big fan of both games but GoW's game direction alone is second to none, and I'm a lot more interested in seeing what SSM will do with GoW2 compared to the direction ND is seemingly taking TLOU2.

Of course it's aiming for a believable world, every game does. Compared to the world ND created with TLOU Midgard in GoW feels like a playgroud for Kratos and Atreus. Easy examples are the side quests with the so-called old dwarf kingdoms. There is not one second where I thought that there ever lived someone in those places. Compare that to something like Tlou and the difference is evident.