• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 7, 2018
I think both Fortnite and Smash end up in that some GOTYs, but no more than 25-30 range, like Persona 5, N:A, and SMO did last year. Likely somewhere between 10-30 for both. Smash is behind purely by its release date, but in the end, I think they both end up there.

I do think that Smash will end up getting the most Fighter genre awards when all is said and done, even with its release date. Be very surprised if it didn't. I think it'll end up with that at TGA next year as well, even with MK11 coming out this year.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone here checked out WhatCulture Gaming's video for their top 10? Wonder if they count towards the game of the year votes for that website on the first page. If anyone wants to watch it, here you go:

10. Dead Cells
9. Monster Hunter World
8. Dragon Ball FighterZ
7. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee
6. Call of Duty Black Ops 4
5. Return of the Obra Dinn
4. God of War
3. Marvel's Spider Man
2. Celeste
1. Red Dead Redemption 2

Bummer Celeste didn't quite beat RDR2, but I think this is the highest ranking Celeste has gotten on any GOTY top 10 list so far, which is great! Otherwise, RDR2 takes home another GOTY win.

Yeah they count. They were added on that site several days ago.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Honestly, HITMAN 2 deserves to win GOTY but it won't because it's a niche game that most people haven't even played. Also, the general populace doesn't seem to care about good level design.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Celeste and GoW have great level design

I'm pretty sure HITMAN 2 has better level design than both. It's kind of absurd how dense and elaborate the levels are. There's really no competition, even among immersive sims like Prey and Dishonored. In fact, the density and complexity of the levels might actually be a turn-off for many players because it can be pretty daunting.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
13:13 now.

IGN Japan gave it to RDR2, I wonder if this tells us anything about the other ones.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
26/31 Awards so far is GOW or RDR2,and if you look the choices,if I have to guess,80% is either 1° RDR2 with GOW 2° or GOW 1° with RDR2 2°,if only one of these two games comes out this year,probably would have a easy sweep,the domination would be even higher than thw Witcher 3 or Zelda,crazy.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
man this race is so close i am invested now (and will probably be a bit sad if my own goty gow wont win).

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Critical Hit's GOTY goes to
God of War Boi
Was there any doubt? Not just our personal choice for the best game of the year but also your choice after the votes had been tallied in a reader's poll, God of War is the kind of game that only comes along every few years. A sequel and a reboot, it's an action game experience that feels satisfying every time you swing the Leviathan axe, it's production values are second to none and its story humanises a tragic character cursed with the burden of godhood and blessed with the responsibility of fatherhood.

An emotional and unforgettable return to glory, God of War is the undisputed champion of 2018 and a defining game for this generation.
https://www.criticalhit.net/gaming/critical-hit-game-year-2018/

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Critical Hit's GOTY goes to
God of War Boi
Was there any doubt? Not just our personal choice for the best game of the year but also your choice after the votes had been tallied in a reader's poll, God of War is the kind of game that only comes along every few years. A sequel and a reboot, it's an action game experience that feels satisfying every time you swing the Leviathan axe, it's production values are second to none and its story humanises a tragic character cursed with the burden of godhood and blessed with the responsibility of fatherhood.

An emotional and unforgettable return to glory, God of War is the undisputed champion of 2018 and a defining game for this generation.
https://www.criticalhit.net/gaming/critical-hit-game-year-2018/

Nice, let's hope that God of War can establish a lead now.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
For smaller sites/publication that you don't think does not have a significant enough of an interest to generate a larger discussion that merits its own thread, please post it here rather than create its own dedicated thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
x4IC2wa.gif

May 5, 2018

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
God of War - 14
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 13

God of War is in the lead again. This GoTY race is probably one of the best one's we've seen in a long time.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It seems that god of war is usually the one leading but man what a tight race. I think in the end red dead redemption will win from user votings while critics will give more goty awards to god of war and red dead will win overall (while god of war wins in my heart haha)

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Polygon's #6 -- Red Dead Redemption 2
https://www.polygon.com/best-games-...-red-dead-redemption-2-games-of-the-year-rdr2

#7 -- Into the Breach
#8 -- Monster Hunter World
#9 -- Spider-Man
#10 -- Assassin's Creed Odyssey

I'm not surprised, actually expected, it was one of the few websites that criticized the gameplay of RDR2 and they did not fall in love with the game. I imagine it will be God of War GOTY, but I would not be surprised if it is an indie.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Gow in the lead, RDR2 ties, GoW takes the lead again, RDR2 ties again, etc..

It has been like this for a few days, RDR2 haven't taken the lead yet, will it remain like this to the end? Hard to tell, I think in a month or so there will be a clear winner with a sizable lead.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I should keep an eye on this,

but fully in favour of a game that remembers what it is first and foremost - as something to bring joy and engagement - to be played, not managed or directed.

GOW is a game ass game and it never shies away from that

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War - 14
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 13

God of War is in the lead again. This GoTY race is probably one of the best one's we've seen in a long time.

Overwatch and Uncharted 4 in 2016 were really close up until the very end. In fact I think UC4 only went ahead because of user votes.

edit: I double checked and uc4 finished with like 60 more, so not as close as I thought. But I was right about the user votes. OW actually had 1 more critic vote but like 50+ less user votes.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That Maxim list is hilarious.

"Top 20 games of 2018"

-Oculus go.
-PlayStation classic.

Well, ok then..