• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait what?!?
2dv2vs4.jpg

Donations for what? To put links on a blog? Is this a joke?
Better get on it Angie. Add one to yours too so that people can give you money b/c you feel like AC is the GOTY lol. I got a good chuckle out of it. LIke I gathered all of these links to put RDR2 out in front so now give me money for it. What an embarrassment.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is there a second GOTY site included in OP that uses fewer websites and has Red Dead 2 ahead? That website seems kind of silly and suspicious. Personally, I don't feel it belongs in the OP.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Why is there a second GOTY site included in OP that uses fewer websites and has Red Dead 2 ahead? That website seems kind of silly and suspicious.
It's by Ezio2048 , who has 90 posts on this forum, 89 of which are in this thread trying to convince people that RDR2 is more deserving than GoW as the overall GotY. His one post outside of this thread is in the ResetEra GotY voting thread, where he put RDR2 as 1 and GoW as 2. He's consistent, at least lmao. If you look at the "other reviews" part of the site, you'll find a ton of GoW reviews that are excluded from the count for "reasons"

Is Obra Dinn worth the full price? Or should I wait for a sale?

Edit: maybe it wasn't made by Ezio, that was conjecture.

Last edited:

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Anyone want to start taking bets on which game won ResetEra's GOTY before the thread drops? There's some mad cheddar burning a hole in my pocket and I'm feeling lucky tonight.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's by Ezio2048 , who has 90 posts on this forum, 89 of which are in this thread trying to convince people that RDR2 is more deserving than GoW as the overall GotY. His one post outside of this thread is in the ResetEra GotY voting thread, where he put RDR2 as 1 and GoW as 2. He's consistent, at least lmao

lol really? That's pretty ridiculous. Would OP consider removing the second website? If nothing else, it kind of undermines the thread's purpose of finding the aggregate GOTY.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's by Ezio2048 , who has 90 posts on this forum, 89 of which are in this thread trying to convince people that RDR2 is more deserving than GoW as the overall GotY. His one post outside of this thread is in the ResetEra GotY voting thread, where he put RDR2 as 1 and GoW as 2. He's consistent, at least lmao. If you look at the "other reviews" part of the site, you'll find a ton of GoW reviews that are excluded from the count for "reasons"

I'm not sure it was made by him. It was another user here that posted that site for the first time. Either way there is no way anyone can deny they have a RDR2 bias from how they counted awards on that site. The OP absolutely should remove it as it was made by an Era user who clearly is biased. At least the one that many of us have used for years and years you can't say that about.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone want to start taking bets on which game won ResetEra's GOTY before the thread drops? There's some mad cheddar burning a hole in my pocket and I'm feeling lucky tonight.
Lol anyone would be foolish to bet against God of War at this point. I don't think it will even be close. I'm more curious to see where everything else placed.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
do we know how long will it take? i assume the bot makes it much easier to make the official list.
Probably takes some time to collate the 300 ways to write (Marvel(')(s)) Spider(-)Man.

(Never mind Pokemon Let(')s Go (Pikachu) (and) (Eevee) (editions), or Nintendo Labo (01)(:) (Variety Kit), probably better to just disqualify the games)

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
You know how much bullshit is the other list,click on (CZ) Games.cz listed as GOTY for RDR2, translate and reply here what you got rs

OP
OP
SoundCheck

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the difference between the numbers of the sites was because Gotypicks is more restricted when adding some awards, so I added gotylist to be fair. seemed legitimate at first sight. I never thought that someone would create a site just to put their favorite game on the top. Thanks to N.47 for warning me.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought the difference between the numbers of the sites was because Gotypicks is more restricted when adding some awards, so I added gotylist to be fair. seemed legitimate at first sight. I never thought that someone would create a site just to put their favorite game on the top. Thanks to N.47 for warning me.

You're welcome :) I thought it was important for me to bring up.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved spots for God of War, Spider-Man, Detroit, and Astro Bot. 6 of my top 10 made it in the top 10 so the only complaint I have is Shadow of the Colossus not counting in the top 20 even though it should've.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
God of War leading the GotY awards in 2018 is, to me, a sign that I should take note of what critics are saying even less than I do now. All the great games to come out this year, and that leads the way. Just an astonishing indictment of video game reviewing that it's championing the sort of by-the-numbers narrative-based pabulum that gets love for being really well-produced and of high production value.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God of War leading the GotY awards in 2018 is, to me, a sign that I should take note of what critics are saying even less than I do now. All the great games to come out this year, and that leads the way. Just an astonishing indictment of the sort of by-the-numbers narrative-based pabulum that gets love for being really well-produced and of high production value.
It deserved it. Not just for how damn good it was but for the fact that it took a stale, long running franchise and made it feel new again and more importantly made people who never liked the franchise fall in love with this one. That's an accomplishment.

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
God of War leading the GotY awards in 2018 is, to me, a sign that I should take note of what critics are saying even less than I do now. All the great games to come out this year, and that leads the way. Just an astonishing indictment of video game reviewing that it's championing the sort of by-the-numbers narrative-based pabulum that gets love for being really well-produced and of high production value.
Ridiculous post lol

Oct 25, 2017

Era is full of salt and that was the saltiest post I read all week lol.

Bad responses.

I don't know why you think I'm salty. I already think most video game critics are bad at critiquing games. I don't have this complaint with book or movie reviewers for the most part. I'm just saying what I think here in this thread, that's all.

You are free to enjoy shitty games, no matter what I or anyone else says about them, believe you me.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
yikes

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bad responses.

I don't know why you think I'm salty. I already think most video game critics are bad at critiquing games. I don't have this complaint with book or movie reviewers for the most part. I'm just saying what I think here in this thread, that's all.

You are free to enjoy shitty games, no matter what I or anyone else says about them, believe you me.
So God of War is a shitty game? The salt in this person is real. You're just trolling at this point.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

alltheseflavours.jpg

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
Bad responses.

Thanks. We'll keep enjoying our "shitty" games. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Bad responses.

"Bad response:" you forgot the colon there and added a s.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Bad responses.

I can feel the pretentiousness slapping me across the face.

You would think God of War would be the AAA champion among people who hate AAA games, considering it has fantastic gameplay while most of the "AAA snobs" are usually upset with the gameplay.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Couldn't roll my eyes hard enough.

OP
OP
SoundCheck

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bad responses.

Can you explain why you think that God of War is a shitty game and why the critics are wrong. I'm curious because I found the game exceptional (but not perfect).

Oct 25, 2017
So God of War is a shitty game? The salt in this person is real. You're just trolling at this point.

Yeah, it's bad. I made the case for why it's bad before. The sad thing is that you think that any dissent from what everyone else seems to think is "trolling," which is an utterly weak, dismissive response because you have nothing to offer here.

Personally, I don't think the awful combat with it's unwieldy over-the-shoulder view is particularly fun, even as it branches during progression of the game, and I definitely don't think that the narrative full of poor dialogue spoken by admittedly good voice actors is interesting or groundbreaking or worth talking about at all from a narrative point of view. It's just a story full of well-worn tropes, which would be fine if it did more with those tropes than the bare minimum of presenting them in this form:

1. "We killed a woman off-screen that is driving all the action for the two male characters..."
2. "...but the problem is that Kratos is a bad dad who has to learn how to solve problems with love and understanding because he's yet another dude who can't learn that without having to raise this child alone."

If you look at games that are about parental relationships (or stand-ins for parental relationships) that are well-praised, they exist on tropes too, like every other form of narrative, but they are interesting in how they approach that narrative. I criticize Naughty Dog for gameplay-poor games, but I'll never get on them for actually crafting an interesting narrative in TLoU that ultimately shows how parents with unaddressed trauma make poor decisions out of fear, including out of fear for their children, for example. The Walking Dead Season 1, Papo y Yo, The Last of Us, etc., are the games that God of War is trying to stand up to in presenting this topic, and the devs just don't have the writing chops to do anything but hit the same tired-ass beats.

What's left is a game with middling combat (at least it has options, I'll give it that) that really excels on the production side. It looks good and sounds good. Sound and fury, signifying fucking nothing.

And that's fine! It's cool to enjoy empty games or total misfires that don't really achieve what they're trying to achieve. I do, certainly. I've talked about those games in the past as well. But give shit like this a billion awards, and of course I'm going to shit on reviewers.

It's just that I didn't expect a bunch of people whose identities are apparently personally tied to their favorite games getting a universally-loved reception responding with tired garbage like the following:

alltheseflavours.jpg
Thanks. We'll keep enjoying our "shitty" games. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
"Bad response:" you forgot the colon there and added a s.

That last one is so upset that it's barely in English! It's pretty funny, actually.

Ultimately, awards mean zero. However, they do illustrate something about the people who give them, namely that video game reviewers should all be forced to have B.A.s in Lit or Philosophy or something that gives them the ability to dissect a game's narrative or themes at least somewhat at the level of a middling Pauline Kael or Roger Ebert movie review. ;)