• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's December again. Sites and magazines are choosing their GOTY'S. Last year Breath of the Wild dominated the awards, but this year we have RDR2, God of war and Spider-man in a fierce battle to be the Best of the Best. Let's use GotY Picks for keeping track of the awards given by media outlets.

God of War - 194

The Critics' Picks - 124

The Readers' Picks - 70

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 132

The Critics' Picks - 96

The Readers' Picks - 36

Marvel's Spider-Man - 16

The Critics' Picks - 16

The Readers' Picks -

Celeste - 7

Return of the Obra Dinn - 5

Fortnite Battle Royale - 4

Monster Hunter: World - 4

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 4

Tetris Effect - 4

Astro Bot Rescue Mission - 3

Florence - 2

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 2

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 1

Frostpunk - 1

Subnautica - 1

Two Point Hospital - 1

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - 1

11-11: Memories Retold - 1

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
yea, exciting to see who takes it, looking at TGAs result now and reactions from podcasts and such it seems GoW will take it which makes me really happy. Sony Santa Monica worked so hard on this game and i would be so happy to see that game's cover on gotypicks in a month from now.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
IGNs will most likely go to GoW too, anyone remember when they gave their award last year?

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War has a huge advantage over RDR2 and its that the game came out early in the year and it has settled already on people's minds. RDR2 is a huge game and people is probably still going thought it (I bought it at launch and I'm still on Chapter 3)

Plenty of folks think that coming up later is an advantage because you are fresh on people's mind, but that's not the case always. I played Persona 5 at launch and it was still my GOTY by the end of last year.

I don't have a dog on this fight, to be honest. As much as I like RDR2, my GOTY is Civilization VI on Switch lol.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Red Dead 2 is better but GoW was great too. Just hope they improve godawful sea graphics and some textures . It looks so out of place when some parts looks CGI level when some parts look like God of War 3

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Some of those gow goty win didn't count rdr2 because it's too early, right?
not really, however trusted reviews wouldnt have given their GotY to red dead because rockstar sued them or something along those lines i am not too familiar with the story.
however, winning TGA is big because it means most of the media journalists appreaciated that GoW was a better overall game than red dead redemption 2, and hearing some reactions from EZA and IGN and stuff it seems to me like GoW is on the way to taking the award anyway.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
The only one that counts: ERA's GOTY. Can't wait. Gonna be a spectacular battle between RDR and GoW.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
It's December again. Sites and magazines are choosing their GOTY'S. Last year Breath of the Wild dominated the awards, but this year we have RDR2, God of war and Spider-man in a fierce battle to be the Best of the Best. Let's use GotY Picks for keeping track of the awards given by media outlets.

God of War - 4
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 2
Fortnite - 1
Florence - 1

Bloodborne behind Fallout 4 in 2015?

VCHdw6u.gif

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Well aren't the VGAs a combination of dozens of publications and popular vote?
We already know who won.

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping God of War takes home more awards than RDRII. Similar to Last of Us getting more awards than GTAV in 2013.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I feel sad for RDR2 because it's so close to being something special, if only they actually reflected on their gameplay system & character control after GTAV.

RDR2's bad control really hurts the experience imo, it's just not nearly as enjoyable as it could've been. Without the amazing open world and the well written story the game would just be.....kinda bad.

In the end, I will have to agree that God of War is the better game, I'm sorry Rockstar, I really appreciate all the effort put into the game but you missed that one key aspect.

RDR2 is like a brand new Lamborghini that's almost perfect, except the steering wheel is made out of cheap plastic and is literally glued on.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Winning the TGA is a good indication that GoW will take more GOTYa than RDR2. If any of these 2 games cam out in 2014 they would have taken everything. Too bad they had to face each other.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 deserves to own but will probably lose out overall to GoW
But having just finished watching Game Awards, Cory is such a goodnatured motherfucker that I wish him all the awards anyway even if I didn't love his game as much as I hoped

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Will it be a case of God of More and Red Dead Rejection? I would have predicted the opposite before TGA.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I look forward to people getting upset that [game they like] did not beat [game they liked less]. Bring on January!

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope God of War wins out in the end. I always check back on that blog every couple days every year to see how things are shaking out. Will be fun to watch. Hoping some other games like Spider-Man get recognized from some outlets too.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
update:
as of right now, GoW has 6 Goty wins and Red Dead has 4, so we are still in a tight race. me looking at easy allies and kinda funny etc. seems like they will give the award to God of War as well, i really hope it wins most of the awards just so i will see that cover on gotypicks website haha. also one small fact, resetera is counted in gotypicks :p

Who won this battle in the end?

Yeah really looking forward to seeing who take this.
while that grand theft auto V won the VGAs that year, in the end the last of us massively destroyed it in overall game of the year counts with 249 goty wins while GTAV only won 160. you can see all these awards on the website gotypicks

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
RDR2 was polarizing from the get go due to the pacing and controls, the game is fantastic but not necessarily an all audience crowd pleaser. GOW has great flawless controls/combat, but also an emotional punch, puts it over the top imo.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
My prediction is that GoW versus RDR2 is going to be the dumbest GOTY war yet.

It's always pretty dumb, if we're being honest.

That said, I hope GoW takes home as many gotys as possible. It's a terrific game and the devs deserve all the praise they get for it. RDR2 was good, but it never clicked for me in the same way I instantly knew GoW was one of my favorite games of all time.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I'm curious. God of War getting awards, means it's a better game compared to competition by some posters ? If that's the case does that apply to previous years too?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My prediction is that GoW versus RDR2 is going to be the dumbest GOTY war yet.

You'd think GOTY time could be a celebration of all the great games getting awards but, no, this has to be a competition too. Meh.

Fascinated that Florence won on Paste. Has anyone played it? I've only just started hearing its name pop up.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Also, GoW getting the TGA's means most of the media that participated picked GoW so we already know how it will go with big sites, it will depend on the smaller sites now and fan votes which could easily go to RDR2 seeing how big it is but you never know.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Also, GoW getting the TGA's means most of the media that participated picked GoW so we already know how it will go with big sites, it will depend on the smaller sites now and fan votes which could easily go to RDR2 seeing how big it is but you never know.

While I've no doubt that GoW will walk away with the most GOTY awards this year, this wasn't true in 2016 when Overwatch won TGA GOTY. That year most of the big sites gave it to Uncharted 4.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
While I've no doubt that GoW will walk away with the most GOTY awards this year, this wasn't true in 2016 when Overwatch won TGA GOTY. That year most of the big sites gave it to Uncharted 4.
I don't think that's true, if you check the GOTY blog then you will see that near half of UC4 votes were from Readers as opposed to Overwatch which the majority were from critics.