• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EafIthC.png

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit is a new graphic adventure game from Dontnod Entertainment that takes place in the same universe as Dontnod's beloved game Life Is Strange and its upcoming sequel. Captain Spirit is a short, free downloadable game released on June 25, 2018 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. The game will introduce or hint at characters and concepts from Life Is Strange 2 while exploring a day in the life of an ordinary boy named Chris who wishes he was a superhero.

lvluUfw.png

In the town of Beaver Creek, Oregon, a nine year old boy named Chris Eriksen lives with his single father, Charles. Following the death of his mother, Chris has retreated into a fantasy world where he takes on his superhero alter ego, Captain Spirit, to cope with the world around him. Chris goes on "missions" against his villainous enemies while interacting with his distant, potentially alcoholic father.

AyGjQZI.png

What kind of game is Captain Spirit?
The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit is a short graphic adventure game where you play as Chris. You explore his house and interact with his father and potentially other characters as well. You have the ability to choose your dialogue options when in conversation.

When will it be released?

Where can I download it and what platforms is it for?
Steam
PlayStation 4
Xbox One

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit is an entirely free download on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

What is the music from the trailer?
The music used in the trailer is "Death with Dignity" by Sufjan Stevens and "May Weather" by John Francis.

What connection does Captain Spirit have to Life Is Strange?
The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit takes place in the same universe as Life Is Strange and its upcoming sequel. The game specifically takes place three years after the events of Life Is Strange. The exact connection between these games is currently shrouded in mystery. According to Dontnod, Captain Spirit contains easter eggs, connections, and continuity references to Life Is Strange and its sequel.

Some choices the player makes in Captain Spirit will carry over and have consequences in Life Is Strange 2.

When will Life Is Strange 2 be released?
The first episode of Life Is Strange 2 is scheduled for release on September 27, 2018. The plot and characters are currently unknown and will be revealed in August. Captain Spirit contains clues or hints at the concepts and characters of Life Is Strange 2.

Are Max and Chloe in this?
No. Or...probably not? Dontnod has stated that Life Is Strange 2 will be an original title without connection to Max and Chloe. But...anything is possible, right?

Thanks to Fantomas for the graphics and Hella for the OT title! Be sure to visit us at the Life Is Strange community thread!

Last edited:

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
It's cool that they're making this. I would have been kinda dissappointed if it was really the second season, but as a one-of free story I don't think anybody could complain haha.

Can't wait to play it (I still have the last Before the storm episode to play).

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
Pre-downloaded and ready to go. I cant wait to dive in the Life is Strange universe once again and making the wait for LiS2 more difficult

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I wish Square Enix had a crossplatform save transfer like Telltale does. I have S1 on Xbox One, BTS on ps4 and I plan on playing this, plus season 2 on pc since I have left over steam wallet funds from the sale.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
nothing on the ps4 store yet :(

also can't wait !

and there is also this track:

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can see a possible Normal Again story happening here, and I dont like it, but as long as they dont reveal that Arcadia Bay, Max/Chloe, and others were a dream in the mind of Chris Eriksen then I am happy see where this goes.

I know they probably won't even directly reference LiS, but I would hate for the small hint to that story to be "I visited there in my dreams, lol"

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Got this loaded and ready for tomorrow. So excited.

I know Dontnod said they would have more LiS2 information in August, but I wonder if this will have a teaser or something attached at the end. Considering pre-orders go live this week

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait.

For those who are disappointed that we don't get more Max and Chloe, check this out: WARNING IT CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE ORIGINAL GAME

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Square Enix had a crossplatform save transfer like Telltale does. I have S1 on Xbox One, BTS on ps4 and I plan on playing this, plus season 2 on pc since I have left over steam wallet funds from the sale.
As far as I know, they haven't said anything about transferring saves from the first game and BtS so I don't think that's a thing. You will be able to load your save from Captain Spirit into LiS 2 though, so as long as you're playing those on the same platform you should be fine.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see a possible Normal Again story happening here, and I dont like it, but as long as they dont reveal that Arcadia Bay, Max/Chloe, and others were a dream in the mind of Chris Eriksen then I am happy see where this goes.

I know they probably won't even directly reference LiS, but I would hate for the small hint to that story to be "I visited there in my dreams, lol"

Various game previews from E3 publications have mentioned some of the connections. I won't say them outside spoiler tags but they're more significant than just "it was a dream."

Additionally, LIS2 will reportedly allow you to choose your LIS ending again at some point.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
Nice OT title, BDS. Suits the game and the ethos of the series.

I'm ready for this after playing Farewell, but also not ready for this after playing Farewell. Tomorrow will be something of a day.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
I've got to admit, I'm more interested in seeing what hidden LiS1 references and the LiS2 clues it has than actually playing as Chris, but I fully expect to be surprised and be drawn into the story like I was with the original Life is Strange.

Custard

Alt Account
Banned
May 10, 2018
Sorry to be ignorant, but is this a free episode, or is this an entire standalone game that's free?

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry to be ignorant, but is this a free episode, or is this an entire standalone game that's free?

Whole game is free. The strategy is get people bought into the expanded universe of life is strange for free then add paid stories over time. My guess is theyre bigger than individual episodes but shorter than full seasons.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
So is the steam page for the game wrong? The timer there says it'll launch tomorrow, but the image on the LiS says that the global release is in 5 hours from now.

Edit: nvm they answered a related question on their twitter, the steam page is wrong:

Last edited:

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
The trailer was really good and I'm looking forward to playing it but equally looking forward to theories about how this might connect to LiS/LiS2.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's a smart idea of me to start playing this one, when I've only gotten to episode 3 or so in Life Is Strange. I'm hoping it won't spoil the end of LiS.

The OP says it comes out in 4 hours btw, but on my Steam store page it says 1 day and 4 hours still.

Eh, fuck it, I'll just start over with Life Is Strange and complete it before playing this one. I'll install it though.
Do I play LiS1, then Before the Storm, and then the Farewell episode?

Last edited: