Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I was looking through the Horror tag on Steam and games set in The Backrooms have really exploded onto the scene the last few months

I figured as much, I haven't searched steam but many of the YT channels that covered Backrooms theories are doing a ton of playthroughs of various games. Interesting how popular its gotten.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking through the Horror tag on Steam and games set in The Backrooms have really exploded onto the scene the last few months

I'd recommend the one Fat4all posted above.

I played it on Stream and while it doesn't exactly have gameplay (i.e. no puzzles, no fighting, etc), it's the game that closest matches the Kane Pixel series in a way that makes you almost feel like your playing his videos as a game. It's seriously impressive and really cool to wonder about in.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I'd recommend the one Fat4all posted above.

I played it on Stream and while it doesn't exactly have gameplay (i.e. no puzzles, no fighting, etc), it's the game that closest matches the Kane Pixel series in a way that makes you almost feel like your playing his videos as a game. It's seriously impressive and really cool to wonder about in.
funnily enough, after i recommended it back then i decided to redownload and play it and it had been updated before i even made the rec

more options for making it run better, much better transitions between themes and locations, some added spooky moments, and at least one direct reference to the Kane Pixel series (arrow tape on the ground)

improved the performance and lighting a touch as well, still all free, just a short sweet experience

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
funnily enough, after i recommended it back then i decided to redownload and play it and it had been updated before i even made the rec

more options for making it run better, much better transitions between themes and locations, some added spooky moments, and at least one direct reference to the Kane Pixel series (arrow tape on the ground)

improved the performance and lighting a touch as well, still all free, just a short sweet experience

So I was curious and just looked up if they were planning on doing anything more and No... but yes. They don't seem to be updating The Complex anymore but are working on a sequel and have been posting stuff on their YT community page:

As most of you already know, I have recently begun working on a bigger, better and more realistic game, which is a sequel to The Complex: Found Footage! I have yet to put out a reveal trailer, but I will soon. This game will be a lot more focused on it's own story and narrative, which I can't say much about for now. It's going to be a paid game, unlike The Complex: Found Footage, though I will keep it under $10.

I am going to list some of the planned features and mechanics.

* Half-storymode/Linear and half-open-world/freeplay. (This may seem confusing, but I will clear it up later)
* Crouching and crawling
* Climbing button. This will be used to climb onto surfaces that are beneath chest level.
* Switching light switches on and off
* Opening doors
* Better sound design
* Voice acting
* More depth and immersion in-game
* More realistic graphics
* An immersive story

Keep in mind that some things may change, since it's still in early development and these are planned features that I will try my best to deliver as well as I can. Thank you for following along with The Complex: Found Footage❤️

I am... curious. I think TC: FF is really good, but I hope they don't accidentally lose what made it so good by trying to do a lot more. Like indie voice acting is... well it can be very hit or miss.

Also not sure how the graphics can get anymore realistic. I mean, obviously it's not like the texture work is crazy insane in the original game but the filters and such already do an incredibly convincing job.

I still maintain that it does feel weird for paid stuff that outright takes Kane Pixels specific work, so I am curious if this will keep those references in it or remove them. Based on this screenshot of the sequel and the ending of the original:

GY17mM1fUq3H61317HRu9anM-jszeCh8U7lY2J0DvCHqDUWvxC1ylT4h_gPDTtp3tpYDlIHSvR583lM=s623-nd-v1

It does seem like there will be stuff still similar but not exactly. Which is a bit better. Maybe I'm just being weird about this whole thing and it doesn't matter.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Kane posted another teaser a bit ago:

sfX5kvyfoCeqO9kKVxgbEWQYw5eFkVdFKSiJtai1b4A1vRMTRQEqRt05bzTonBatbE9CC4xjnWtG5g=s800-nd-v1

I think it's a person. And another growing green light.

Also AFAIK the reason for the wait for this episode being longer then all previous is due to college admissions which is fair!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was cool (and to try to keep the thread alive during a lull moment), but ABC did an article about it and even contacted Kane:

abcnews.go.com

The Backrooms: Horror storytelling goes online

Some creatives believe the next great horror tale may not come from a book, or a movie, but rather the internet.

(Note: Not whole article, just some parts of it)

Kane Parsons, a high school senior who goes by "Kane Pixels" online, is one of the most popular Backrooms creators. His collection of short films have netted tens of millions of views on YouTube, most of which he made using the free online CGI software "Blender."

"I came across the original image on my computer … and I just thought, huh, it would be interesting to see if I could go to my 3D software, Blender, and try to recreate a scene in this environment," Parsons told ABC Audio.

His videos tell the story of a shadowy organization, called ASYNC, which in the late 1980s opens a portal connecting the real world to The Backrooms.

"It's a slow burn story focusing on both the politics of ASYNC and the United States government, as well as the otherworldly, confusing functions of the complex, or The Backrooms."

Parsons is far from alone - Backrooms content has surged in popularity in recent years, with some creators exploring what other floors of the Backrooms look like, and others populating those spaces with monsters.

Parsons, for his part, says he understands the purists' point of view, though he doesn't necessarily agree. His strategy is instead to tell a story that expands on the original post, while maintaining the atmosphere it evokes.

"I want to make something is telling this story which I believe is meaningful, that I have come up with, while also maintaining that feeling that was present in the original post," Parsons said. "So I think it's a balance."

"Most definitely there has been some vocal, negative people out there expressing that feeling," Parsons said, but he added that isn't the norm.

"For the most part I think everyone has been very tolerant and just great - very mature about how this has all played out," he said.

Parsons says the response to his Backrooms contributions have been broadly very positive. Despite spending eight hours per day working on videos, he says it's all worth it.

"I just love doing this," he said. "I somehow almost never burn out. And I think that's partially because of how much people love this series. It just feels like everything I do has value."

And for fans who aren't done exploring those seemingly infinite hallways, he says he's not done yet.

"I can't say much, I can't say really anything, but there's more to come, there's definitely more to come," he said. "Years - years of Backrooms to come."

I am happy that he is still excited to work on it. I don't mind waiting so long as he's enjoying it and the quality doesn't drop.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the next video may be coming really soon. Maybe even tomorrow/today.

q2ezeqxr3m4a1.jpg

Second longest video so far if that's the runtime.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Well goddamn. So If I understand correctly:

The one dude who went missing for months (though only maybe a half hour from their perspective), after he finally made his way back- they seemingly took him and brought him deeper into the Complex hoping to cover the whole thing up by letting him die to whatever was out there.

Also I'm shocked Kane brought in guns, albeit only one. I swore in that one interview he said you wouldn't see any of them with one since their not soldiers. Though at the same time it makes sense since the idea is that their going closer to the area where Marvin encountered an entity.

I think 100% this is going to be the catalyst that overall gets Async shut down.

The Unlisted Video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLb-41jJiZs

This one is likely set right after Presentation.

Last edited:

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Well goddamn. So If I understand correctly:

The one dude who went missing for months (though only maybe a half hour from their perspective), after he finally made his way back- they seemingly took him and brought him deeper into the Complex hoping to cover the whole thing up by letting him die to whatever was out there..
If he is the same from the Informational Video (and from the last part of Presentation), they locked him in there to silence anything that could compromise the project. I imagine they sent them to that section of the backrooms uninformed with some random pretense in order to "check on him".

And Marvin (camera man) went back into the backrooms after his Pitfall experience. The real mvp.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yep that's definitely it.

Seems like after he came back from the forward jump in time, they had already covered up his disappearance by faking his death. Hence the "Firey Wreck Beside Vineyard Leaves 1 Dead" headline on the newspaper. I guess when he came back they didn't want questions asked since there was a funeral and probably a charred body as a stand in..... So they put him back into the complex without a protective suit to die. He survives and this video happens where he runs into Marvins team who all thought he was dead. I guess they were able to keep his return secret from Marvin and the other Async team members because in the recording you can hear the guy mention that the rest of the staff had already left and that he was pretty much the only one there when Peter returned. Explains why Marvin was shocked to see him; but also explains why Peter was 100% willing to kill a guy when they started communicating to Async that they were being held at gunpoint by someone. He knows Async tried to kill him once and would probably try again.

This is getting wild man.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yep that's definitely it.

Seems like after he came back from the forward jump in time, they had already covered up his disappearance by faking his death. Hence the "Firey Wreck Beside Vineyard Leaves 1 Dead" headline on the newspaper. I guess when he came back they didn't want questions asked since there was a funeral and probably a charred body as a stand in..... So they put him back into the complex without a protective suit to die. He survives and this video happens where he runs into Marvins team who all thought he was dead. I guess they were able to keep his return secret from Marvin and the other Async team members because in the recording you can hear the guy mention that the rest of the staff had already left and that he was pretty much the only one there when Peter returned. Explains why Marvin was shocked to see him; but also explains why Peter was 100% willing to kill a guy when they started communicating to Async that they were being held at gunpoint by someone. He knows Async tried to kill him once and would probably try again.

This is getting wild man.

So we know Async loses the Government Contract. Might it be safe to assume that now that an actual body has dropped, this gets leaked or somehow and the Government is like: "Nah brahs"?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm curious, do you all think this will end with an ambiguous ending or a definitive ending?

Part of me wants to assume an ambiguous ending simply due to how the storytelling has been up to this point- yet at the same time with so many mystery's, ending on.. another mystery may not be a satisfying conclusion. Cause that could fall into the trap of basically making the audience feel like so many things that were set up were just to add mysteries without any thought about the reasoning behind them.

I know Kane said the story is going to be longer than he originally planned, but even still I don't feel like the story thus far has felt... aimless. It's not fast pace mind you, but it does feel like we're working towards something.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Seems Kane has rearranged the Backrooms playlist on his channel.

In order from first to last it now goes:

1. Overflow
2. Prototype
3. The Third Test
4. First Contact
5. Found Footage 1
6. Mar11_90_ARCHIVE.tar
7. Missing Persons
8. Autopsy Report
9. Informational Video
10. Motion Detected
11. Pitfalls
12. Report
13. Presentation
14. Found Footage 2
15. Reunion

I think it's now mostly chronological order with the exception of Found Footage 1 and 2, which IIRC FF1 is set after FF2 and both should be at the end of the the current known timeline of events.

...Also sorry for my 4 posts in a row. Q.Q I just hope this thread becomes active again. D:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I need to catch up on at least the last few videos.

Haven't really kept up on any overarching storyline, but I mainly just love the creepy vibe.

Definitely the best "Backroom" stuff I've seen. Anything other than this video series has too much dumb stuff like silly monsters or waterslides of death.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I need to catch up on at least the last few videos.

Haven't really kept up on any overarching storyline, but I mainly just love the creepy vibe.

Definitely the best "Backroom" stuff I've seen. Anything other than this video series has too much dumb stuff like silly monsters or waterslides of death.

Yeah, you sort of need to find the diamonds in the rough when going beyond Kane's videos. It starts getting really silly really fast. Which hey, I like silly, but it's usually just... not good silly lol.

I think a big reason why Kane's stuff is so good is that he does want to give the horror side of things but is clearly also concerned with telling an actually intriguing story.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
when it comes to 'backrooms' stuff there's only a few that hit the vibes right, and honestly most of the better ones are video game focused instead of video focused

outside of that, its better to look for other spoopy stories/series that have nothing to do with the backrooms, like Petscop or 10tapes, to supplement that spoopy feeling you might crave in your soul

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
when it comes to 'backrooms' stuff there's only a few that hit the vibes right, and honestly most of the better ones are video game focused instead of video focused

outside of that, its better to look for other spoopy stories/series that have nothing to do with the backrooms, like Petscop or 10tapes, to supplement that spoopy feeling you might crave in your soul

Man, I need to finish Petscop. I remember watching a bunch of it back in the day but didn't realize it had finished... years ago haha.

I really hope the second: The Complex game from IsarL is good. Since their original is imho the best Backroom game thus far. Which apparently they added a new part to one of the areas in a patch a few days ago. Might go and check that out.

I do feel like a proper Survival Horror game, maybe in the vein of something like Alien Isolation could be done well.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Man, I need to finish Petscop. I remember watching a bunch of it back in the day but didn't realize it had finished... years ago haha.

I really hope the second: The Complex game from IsarL is good. Since their original is imho the best Backroom game thus far. Which apparently they added a new part to one of the areas in a patch a few days ago. Might go and check that out.

I do feel like a proper Survival Horror game, maybe in the vein of something like Alien Isolation could be done well.
there's fair few good maps on GMOD (and lots of terrible ones), but a full game would take some doing, its really easy to half-ass a lot of the concepts

i wonder if we'll get anything approaching a mid-budget, decently-length liminal space/backroom-like game

most of what's out there now is all in the indie space, where it probably does its best as a short and sweet experience

i play a lot of horror games and indie horror is usually where the most interest stuff comes from

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
also yeah Petscop is worth finishing, it gets a bit strange (in good and bad ways) towards the end but its overall good

great OST too, bought it off bandcamp

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
there's fair few good maps on GMOD (and lots of terrible ones), but a full game would take some doing, its really easy to half-ass a lot of the concepts

i wonder if we'll get anything approaching a mid-budget, decently-length liminal space/backroom-like game

most of what's out there now is all in the indie space, where it probably does its best as a short and sweet experience

i play a lot of horror games and indie horror is usually where the most interest stuff comes from

Yeah there is... a lot of... half-assed Backrooms game on Steam now.

also yeah Petscop is worth finishing, it gets a bit strange (in good and bad ways) towards the end but its overall good

great OST too, bought it off bandcamp

Honestly my only worry about Kane's stuff is if the series ever does do the proverbial jumping of the shark.

Speaking of OST...

"Congratulations, Ivan" in particular is pretty incredible. Not sure if it's actually been used in the series yet but does appear to be in it at some point based on the image used and well, the name of the video lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU_HWEYX6qc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JHVpe-ChdQ

Honestly one of the best bits of Kane's series is all the music we get out of it. I just wish he was getting them on Spotify and such faster lol

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Honestly my only worry about Kane's stuff is if the series ever does do the proverbial jumping of the shark.
i feel like with anything popular its sort of inevitable, especially when a creator wants to start stretching their creativity, you just gotta hope they stick the landing as best they can and keep trying to make it a complete experience

MY only worry with stuff like this is it never getting a proper arc, getting an incomplete story, or a rushed story

i like it when creators take the time to make a rounded experience that you can go back to, where even if there's rough bits or uneven beats, its still worth reexperiencing as a whole

I wonder how the Chris Struckmann project it gonna end up going, he started a project that started as a fake indie horror video thing that's now gonna be a motion picture ABOUT that fake horror thing

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like with anything popular its sort of inevitable, especially when a creator wants to start stretching their creativity, you just gotta hope they stick the landing as best they can and keep trying to make it a complete experience

MY only worry with stuff like this is it never getting a proper arc, getting an incomplete story, or a rushed story

i like it when creators take the time to make a rounded experience that you can go back to, where even if there's rough bits or uneven beats, its still worth reexperiencing as a whole

I wonder how the Chris Struckmann project it gonna end up going, he started a project that started as a fake indie horror video thing that's now gonna be a motion picture ABOUT that fake horror thing

Yeah god, so many ways the series could disappoint... Failing to nail it's conclusion, never concluding. I feel like the "never concluding" is almost the most likely thing to happen to any Web-based series. We've all seen those really great series released and then abandoned. Not maliciously obviously but still. Like god, I can't lie I'm a sucker for good FanFiction and the only thing worse than finding a bad FanFic that ruins a great concept is finding a Great one that just unceremoniously stops.

I haven't been following Struckmann's project, but I hope it turns out well enough.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
According to Kane we're seemingly getting a new video this week. I imagine it must be on the shorter side, though he did say he was putting a lot of focus on The Backrooms stuff.

Also as of well, 12 days ago- Kane's Backroom Series is officially 1 year old! Hope for a good 2nd year! :D

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Shit. I'm going to hold off on watching. Normally I just watch it instantly but I've been watching this with my friend and it released so close to when he will be coming over that I'll just watch it then.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
So...
Peter actually went back into the backrooms to find another exit and that is when the shooting took place.

And his hillside death is definitely another cover up.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still curious how truthful Async is being. Namely with two parts. Seemingly Tench going "crazy" and him "falling" to his death. They were being truthful otherwise, since we've seen everything else but these two parts we only have their words to go on. Tench didn't seem quite stable when we meet him again but not in the way they were describing.

I'm honestly somewhat shocked though how much they did reveal to people. Like straight up admitting about the cover up and how they were trying to "reverse" it.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still curious how truthful Async is being. Namely with two parts. Seemingly Tench going "crazy" and him "falling" to his death. They were being truthful otherwise, since we've seen everything else but these two parts we only have their words to go on. Tench didn't seem quite stable when we meet him again but not in the way they were describing.

I'm honestly somewhat shocked though how much they did reveal to people. Like straight up admitting about the cover up and how they were trying to "reverse" it.
I don't think either is true.

Tench didn't look crazy to me in any way, just reasonably altered given the events he experienced: not only did he get lost in the backrooms, but he was probably restrained against his will (and experimented on) by Async before his escape.

And his fall has to be a fabrication, because the part of the video that flickers shows this (which may be unrelated, but his new death seems too convenient regardless):

eqxnYRD.png

I also believe that the people that Async is disclosing all this info to are part of Async, or part of the project (they mention something like keeping them overnight, probably to contain the situation).

What i'm curious about is... what is this? (another frame from the flicker):

0vYbqcA.png

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these videos are dope and the initial liminal space pics do give some sort of nostalgic unease, but I find all the lore building off of the back rooms a bit too much. Like the No clipping and levels to it. Are kids these days really that scared of empty rooms with 90's decor? Lol. I don't personally get it outside of that strange nostalgic pit in my stomach that takes me to another time.

HalloweenCandy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 26, 2022
Glad you guys bumped this, I missed out on all of this and now I'm hooked.
I should probably be working and not watching these, lol.

Bengraven