• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, this is literally a homage to one of his first armors in the mid 60s to 70s which he used for many and many issues. lol

marvel-comics-retro-style-guide-iron-man_u-l-q132fe70.jpg
Well I kind of realized that too

But I never liked that look either

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
The messaging of SE's Avengers has been really strange

They state that they wanted to make their own Avengers look, but the world, music and feel looks like MCU, except with Dollar Star Actors.

Spider-Man and Batman Arkham knew how to create their own world and feel but also be inspired by the films and comics

LOL so true! When the studio head or marvel guy - can't remember which - started saying that crystal dynamics were going up for their own interpretation of the Avengers, I just rolled my eyes. LITERALLY looks exactly the same - same Avengers future jet design - I mean nothing about this is their own interpretation.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
This MUA3 game looks like it came straight from the Android Play Store and you're seriously saying it looks better than what SE showed of the Avengers game? Yeah, right

Art. Styles.

Do you also think Breath of The Wild or Okami are mobile games?

"Better" is a relative term, but I do agree that the character models STYLE looks better in MUA3 than in Avengers (pseudo realistic cosplay characters)

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, this is literally a homage to one of his first armors in the mid 60s to 70s which he used for many and many issues. lol

marvel-comics-retro-style-guide-iron-man_u-l-q132fe70.jpg

Except it doesnt look like that. They could have done that armour and it would have been fine. They went with two clashing styles on the amour and helmet and it came out looking like C3PO had sex with a Cyberman and created that abomination.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't plan on getting either (at best, I could see myself impulse buying Ultimate Alliance on a lazy summer day for some beers and local co-op with my comic nerd friends), so I have no horse in this race. But, of the two, UA3 looks leagues more appealing.

In addition to the notion of grinding for a shitload of fanservice-y characters and outfits, which is just really appealing for a comic book game, the art direction is no contest. UA3's voice casting still gives it a slight dose of that "Dollar Tree Avengers" vibe (I'd rather they just don't try and ape the MCU at all if they don't have that license), but the character and world design is head and shoulders above what Crystal Dynamics is doing. Those tiny-headed, poe-faced characters (with just the slightest of not-really-smart tweaks on MCU costumes) give me major NetherRealm vibes, from a few years ago when their character models were real uggo.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Art. Styles.

Do you also think Breath of The Wild or Okami are mobile games?

"Better" is a relative term, but I do agree that the character models STYLE looks better in MUA3 than in Avengers (pseudo realistic cosplay characters)

It's not a question of art style, as MUA3 looks generic as all heck... it just was not well made. The models aren't well made at all and the effects are the kinda things you would find for spells on kemco 3d RPGs on Android.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SE Captain America has such a bland costume it's kinda unbelievable. I just assume Disney asked them to go with these looks and tones.

More like Marvel Games. Disney don't really get involved with Marvel outside of the movies, which they distribute.

At this point, I'm just thinking that it's mandated that they need to follow MCU designs and influences, considering the cartoon, comics and games.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Cap looks like a hockey player doing cosplay
Black Widow looks like your regular soccer mom
Thor is inexplicably similar to clash royale mobile icon games
Iron Man is just... fat... the armor is strangely flat, not angular enough, I don't know...

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Except it doesnt look like that. They could have done that armour and it would have been fine. They went with two clashing styles on the amour and helmet and it came out looking like C3PO had sex with a Cyberman and created that abomination.

Yeah the armor itself looks ok but the helmet FACEPLATE looks off. Too thin. Mark III-43 regular faceplate width would help a lot to the overall aesthetic.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac's Spider-Man could obviously get away with changing Spidey's face because he's had three separate actors in the past two decades. We're totally used to not having a set Peter Parker.

The Avengers, on the other hand, have never been relevant in live-action outside the MCU, so changing their faces while keeping them realistic is going to be weird. But either way, Spider-Man 2019 and Square Enix's Avengers game both look excellent. It's literally just that disconnect factor with the faces.

The Ultimate Alliance game is basically a phone game, like I'm not even sure how you can do the comparison. It looks unbelievably cheap. If the MCU movies didn't exist, people would be losing their minds over how cool the Avengers game looks.
If the MCU movies didn't exist, the characters would probably look better since they wouldn't be attempting to recreate them

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
MUA3 feels like if Marvel made Justice League Unlimited.

SE Avengers feels like a mid-2000s Marvel licencee movie.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
More like Marvel Games. Disney don't really get involved with Marvel outside of the movies, which they distribute.

At this point, I'm just thinking that it's mandated that they need to follow MCU designs and influences, considering the cartoon, comics and games.

I mean, the hard truth is that there's not a huge group of people who like Marvel outside of the movies. So they're stuck in a predicament of trying to capture those people people watch the films.

oni_gank

Banned
May 13, 2019
I love MUA... but the new MUA looks like a fancier mobile game to me. There's still something about the animation that puts me off.

I prefer the Avengers looks TBH. I am only curious about the gameplay of Avengers, if it is good then I don't care how it looks.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Of course not. But when your normal speaking voice is already associated with a lot of other characters, it usually helps to try and set a new one apart from the pack.
Yeah, I just don't think it's fair to hold that against the actors. Their voice is their voice. They can't help it if some people associate their voice with other characters. If their acting is strong enough and the writing is interesting enough, that feeling should hopefully disappear on its own after a while regardless.

On topic though... I'm definitely not a fan of the "kinda sorta but not really the MCU actors" look that they went with for this game. Give me a more original take on these characters like Insomniac did with Spider-Man.

Oct 25, 2017
This MUA3 game looks like it came straight from the Android Play Store and you're seriously saying it looks better than what SE showed of the Avengers game? Yeah, right
Looks like all the MUA games I played before, maybe they are keeping with the same style. Oh mobile game, so better graphics =better game.

***I have no pony in this fight, I own the x, the pro and the switch***
My opinion could change once we see gameplay of Avengers,

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a question of art style, as MUA3 looks generic as all heck... it just was not well made. The models aren't well made at all and the effects are the kinda things you would find for spells on kemco 3d RPGs on Android.

What about the models in MUA3 constitute them not being "well-made"?

On the Switch for the type of game with a bunch of characters on-screen they are obviously going to have less polygons and less detailed textures but what's there jives with comic designs and the proportions seems correct. What am I missing?

cmackchase

Jun 4, 2019
For those of you that say cap looks weird. Well I finally figured it out. They somehow made him look like a slightly younger Roger Goodell.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna go ahead and disagree.

I think they all look pretty damn good outside of Thor who looks like a bum.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
UA3 has the X-Men and Spider-Man in it so as far as I'm concerned it wins by default.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I was thinking that too during the MUA segment of the Direct. Even with its crappy framerate and low-detail models it still looks so much better than the actively terrible Square Enix thing.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
It just feels so much like MvC:I that I can't enjoy the look of SE Avengers. Also feels like im watching SYFY movie called "Revengers" or something, with how bootleg and silly the models look. They should have went full comic book, not try to copy the MCU 80% of the way, but forget the other 20%.

MAU looks like a balls to the wall COMIC BOOK game. I feel like it will be like comparing Into the Spiderverse to Amazing Spiderman 2. One is clearly meant to be this "Edgy" thing, with huge budget, big actors, (Amazing Spiderman 2), the other is completely stylized and fresh, and benefits from it. MAU is the latter in this scenario.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
this was it for me, more than the faces. it's really unfair to the game that my brain spent the whole trailer genuinely expecting to hear the MCU voices, but that's what happened. every syllable of not-hemsworth felt bizarre out of thor.

I assume if i buy the game it'll go away in an hour of game-time.

This is where im at with SE avengers game. Nothing got me excited but ill keep my eye on this game

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
*shrugs* I like both. This comparison feels lame to even be making. I'll play Ultimate Alliance and Avengers both, eventually.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
sorry, SE Avengers looks like a fucking SyFY movie parody. They really dropped the ball on the characters and some design choices on that game. Again, Amazing Spiderman 2(SE Avengers) vs Into the Spiderverse (MAU3) is where i'm at right now on pure style and interest. could change of course.

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably been said elsewhere but the Avengers game looks like they assumed they could use the likenesses of the movie cast and then had to replace them a few weeks before e3.

Like Thor's beard doesn't even look real. He looks like a man with a bad fake beard. How do you fuck up a beard?

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
This is the Marvel MOBA thats coming out, the designs here are so much better than both Avengers and MUA3

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Agreed. MUA3 looks better in quite literally every single way. I was mocked in the SE Avengers thread for saying that too.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Neither game looks good, each having a unique set of problems. Square's game lacks personality, appearing to be a shameless attempt at milking the Marvel license. Marvel Ultimate Alliance: The Black Order doesn't look fun and its visuals could pass for a budget game from last gen. There's so much potential with this license, and I'd love to see a studio take advantage of it the same way Rocksteady and WB Montreal did the Batman license, but these two games look to be squandering that opportunity.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

I said earlier, it's telling that Ultimate Alliance looks like the better Avengers game. Smh

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, one game showed full gameplay and is about to release while the other has been rather limited and weird about their portrayal of the game so..... Yeah, totally

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
That and the fact that the game director and even their lead design said that they are taking the criticisms seriously and they are going to fix it makes me more confident that they will be able to deliver next year. From Insomniac's Marvel Spider-Man James Stevenson minutes ago on the Avengers game thread:

The demo looks really fun and each of the characters felt pretty distinct even just while watching.

They have a lot of dev time left so can't wait to see where they end up.

Should hold off on your doubt until they are ready to show the gameplay cause it seems like it'll be a metric load of fun. I had a grin on my face throughout the gameplay.

The lead design in that Q&A also said that everything we've seen so far is pre-alpha. With the backlash and how much money is involved in this, I think it's safe to assume that they will work their asses off to deliver the best game possible.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Avengers isn't even to do with how close it is or isn't to the MCU, its just about personality. Like, their Thor doesn't need to be Hemsworth Thor, but boy does he feel boring based on what we've seen. Same with Steve. Tony has a bit of personality

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. It's weird how bad the supposedly AAA Avengers game looks to me. Hopefully the gameplay is solid? But MUA looks a lot more pleasing to my eyes. Also, Spider-Man looks much better than the Avengers game.

I don't know why they'd go with such horrible voice acting and bland designs for the characters.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That and the fact that the game director and even their lead design said that they are taking the criticisms seriously and they are going to fix it makes me more confident that they will be able to deliver next year. From Insomniac's Marvel Spider-Man James Stevenson minutes ago on the Avengers game thread:

The lead design in that Q&A also said that everything we've seen so far is pre-alpha. With the backlash and how much money is involved in this, I think it's safe to assume that they will work their asses off to deliver the best game possible.

That's great to hear.