• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing bothering me is hearing Nathan Drake's voice but on Tony Stark. Nolan North is very talented but directors keep forcing him to make Nathan Drake's voice and it's annoying. Other characters sound good from what I've heard.

His voice for the Penguin is excellent and highlights his range, it's a shame he doesn't get a chance to use it all that much.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can get past the Avengers' appearances, if the game is good.

MUA3 is a day one purchase for me, unless the reviews really bomb

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
One is meant to be comic accurate. The other is not.

I do hope they fix the faces a bit. Black Widow is looking like Steiner from FFIX.

But other than that, the game looks great.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Because that would be crazy expensive. And the game isn't set in the MCU so it could be confusing.
So it's too expensive for this flagship project, but not for ultimate alliance, a smaller game? I'm honestly surprised. I thought they'd want to capitalize on the success of the MCU and incorporate those version, even if the game wasn't canon.

Going with the stung double look seems a very odd commercial decision.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
They both look good for me, but also expecting completely different things from them. They both look bad in different ways too.

MUA3 looks like a technical mess when big abilities are used and Avengers just has a terrible, psudo MCU cosplay event look to it. I still have faith in both projects though, one for legacy, one for budget lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was gonna be about the shit roster. Idc about the not-MCU art style, it's fine. But that roster is garbage. All white, one woman who isn't a super. Yeah it's the OG MCU roster, which was made over a decade ago, and were in different times now. Why make a decade old mistake?

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
So it's too expensive for this flagship project, but not for ultimate alliance, a smaller game? I'm honestly surprised. I thought they'd want to capitalize on the success of the MCU and incorporate those version, even if the game wasn't canon.

This is the first I hear of MUA3 using the likeness of the movie actors?

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the look of either and I don't think the realistic look of square's avengers is a detriment. It looks like the movies without literally ripping off the likeness of the actors so I basically see it as a game version of the mcu avengers while MUA3 is straight up comic book

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Yeah, but I think they went out of their way to make them not look like the movie versions.
Not far enough imo.

MUA3 is clearly it's own thing, going for a stylised comic book feeling, whilst this is more cinematic so it's going to draw far more comparisons.

Square Enix want to have the cake and eat it too. They want the iconography of the MCU because that gets them cash and interest, but want it to be clear it isn't in the MCU.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sigh @ people comparing the roster to UA.
One game just got revealed and is obviously just focusing on Avengers members and not the entire Marvel Universe.
The other is releasing next month and have had tons of reveals since it was revealed at TGA.
Give it time, Avengers will surely have better representation whenever they start revealing more characters.
Characters like Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel etc are gonna be revealed sooner or later.

Character designs I can understand being more subjective, but I like that they're doing their own thing - its not a tie-in game after all - but still keeping the characters recognizable. It really does seem like Marvel cant please everyone, either the games are to much like the MCU or it isn't. People are always gonna find something to complain about.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Thor, Black Widow and Cap all look very bad.
I have no idea what's going on with Black Widow and Thor's hairs in the game, they look awful in most scenes.
Also Cap looks like a random guard from Arkham series.

Bruce is the only one that looks kinda okay.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Wow is that true!? I thought Civil War was like April 2016, was Spider-Man PS4 announced before that? Thats wild.

Oh you're right, Spider-Man was announced at 2016 E3 but still, is not that you've seen Tom Holland in 3 o 4 movies.

It's different when you've spent 10 years watching Robert Downey or Chris Evans as those characters.

And the characters in the game does look a little rough I believe, but it's not something to be so full of hatred as some people are lol.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I'd highly recommend anyone with doubts of what Marvel Avengers will look like gameplay wise to check out Easy Allies podcast, they saw the demo, explain with great detail and came out genuinely excited with it:

It starts around the 31:40 mark.

Also, after watching it, not only I'm hyped, but they made me understand why the gameplay wasn't shown: it looks fucking gorgeous, but since it's a still early in the developing stage, it is still glitchy, same case as Cyberpunk 2077. Frame drops, crazy stuff happening, but they say it's justified with the absurd levels of things happening on screen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something I find funny is that Marvel is able to bring those MCU characters into the mobile games.

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh you're right, Spider-Man was announced at 2016 E3 but still, is not that you've seen Tom Holland in 3 o 4 movies.

It's different when you've spent 10 years watching Robert Downey or Chris Evans as those characters.

And the characters in the game does look a little rough I believe, but it's not something to be so full of hatred as some people are lol.
100% agree!

Oct 25, 2017
Dead ass op. Before this reveal, I already thrown away Ultimate Alliance because I wanted a big AAA experience from Marvel. After this reveal, Ultimate Alliance is day one 😂

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I'd highly recommend anyone with doubts of what Marvel Avengers will look like gameplay wise to check out Easy Allies podcast, they saw the demo, explain with great detail and came out genuinely excited with it:

It starts around the 31:40 mark.

Also, after watching it, not only I'm hyped, but they made me understand why the gameplay wasn't shown: it looks fucking gorgeous, but since it's a still early in the developing stage, it is still glitchy, same case as Cyberpunk 2077. Frame drops, crazy stuff happening, but they say it's justified with the absurd levels of things happening on screen.
I know you're a huge Marvel fan but from all I've heard by people from the press they mostly had the exact opposite impression? Like to them it seemed like they had to scrap everything recently and what they now have is all that is basically left of their old build/game. Doesn't instill too much confidence when the game is literally only 11 months away.
From everything I've seen and what people say so far this game looks pretty mediocre. A shame really.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
MUA3 already looked pretty great before that Avengers review.

Did it though?

I was severely deflated on that game in the treehouse section. Went from a day one purchase to not sure if I'll get it at all.

It didn't help when they died and had to redo about 10 minutes of progress because of a gimmicky corridor section though :/

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I know you're a huge Marvel fan but from all I've heard by people from the press they mostly had the exact opposite impression? Like to them it seemed like they had to scrap everything recently and what they now have is all that is basically left of their old build/game. Doesn't instill too much confidence when the game is literally only 11 months away.
From everything I've seen and what people say so far this game looks pretty mediocre. A shame really.
Uh.... hahaha, no? Very few people from the press other than Game Informer wrote or talked about the demo at length like Easy Allies just did. Here is the game informer link:

Amos didn't answer many of our questions (including if four people could all be the Hulk), and instead wanted the demo to speak for itself. While the game looks a little rough at this point, the scale of this experience cannot be denied. The amount of action unfolding at once is impressive, and I really want to see just how much damage Hulk can deal. We unfortunately have to wait until next year to see how the game turns out. Avengers is currently slated to launch on May 15 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Stadia.

I've been following the coverage of this quite closely and everyone seems genuinely impressed with the demo. Yes the character models need some work, but the developers already said they are hearing the feedback and will work on it. Interestingly, a lot of people on the thread are saying that Bruce / Hulk looks good, and Andrew from Game Informer seems to notice the same, at this period of development Hulk seems to be the most polished so far. I dare you to find me any reaction from the demo that doesn't look impressed with it.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I dare you to find me any reaction from the demo that doesn't look impressed with it.
Nah, sorry, won't play kids games with you. There are enough people from the press out there saying the demo is pretty underhwelming, generic und uninspired. But from your response I can surmise that you don't actually want to hear legit criticism of the game but only people gushing and falling over themselves praising the game.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Nah, sorry, won't play kids games with you. There are enough people from the press out there saying the demo is pretty underhwelming, generic und uninspired. But from your response I can surmise that you don't actually want to hear legit criticism of the game but only people gushing and falling over themselves praising the game.
It's not a kids game. Citation needed. Literally all I could find is people praising the gameplay in the demo. Yes, the trailer was criticized, but not really the demo gameplay. Completely different things.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
For those thinking they aren't trying to copy the MCU, here's an easy test.

Hawkeye wasn't in the trailer.

Assuming Hawkeye shows up in the game, who is more likely. Kate or Clint?

And their costume, will it be purple spandex or will it be a copy of what the MCU film has, but with a fugly face?

You already know the answer to both.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

And their costume, will it be purple spandex or will it be a copy of what the MCU film has, but with a fugly face?

LMFAO, Kate was never even an Avenger. Not a main Avenger at least. Of course it will be Clint, but that doesn't mean they are "aping" the MCU at all, this is a very classic Avengers formation, also with Hank Pym in the mix.

It will look like the Fraction / Aja Hawkeye I believe, and he will probably be blonde and a smartass, very unlike MCU's Hawkeye. The MCU based the characters in the comics, not the other way around, so of course that there will be some similarities. Hawkeye has been looking like this in the comics for more than one decade now:

8y8MtzOgKC9GIJY197iLFg_8Cr6G_VGiDPgq9A3aD_zuUJNZGSkmie2xDc8ENA5ciipaMrr4hQxFg7HbApJ2ZVHaskzYxOrp8xKoK76phIVlwfTltW8Mra27kP1pq5yH0_O2EJJL87O-2R0-tGYuXIk6bSrvjrgb8bsr0Kh2RHEFHZcF=w220-h333-nc

By your logic, Hank Pym would have to be an old man, and we'd have Scott Lang instead.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

They say they will have costumes, I want to know how deep they will go

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It didn't help when they died and had to redo about 10 minutes of progress because of a gimmicky corridor section though :/
That was on them. Instead of hitting Retry they chose to go back to the last SHIELD circle. When I saw them doing that I was like, "No, dummies, the last SHIELD circle was before the boss fight!"

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Honestly I wanna see a citation on this too, because it's a pretty extreme claim. Like, the few negative written impressions I've read mostly said the gameplay looked bland, but never went so far as to say it looked incomplete.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I wanna see a citation on this too, because it's a pretty extreme claim. Like, the few negative written impressions I've read mostly said the gameplay looked bland, but never went so far as to say it looked incomplete.
E.g. Ben from Giant Bomb went to see the demo and that was basically the impression he got. At least that's how I understood his impressions.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
When it comes to people from both the press or even people that are there, the word that I see thrown around a lot is impressive, even Yehl from IGN that was disappointed with the trailer came out impressed with the gameplay after seeing it:

Though we still haven't gotten to play ourselves, Marvel's Avengers definitely looks like it will deliver when it comes to living out the fantasy of fighting evil as the most iconic Avengers. You get to do all the coolest moves and witness as they are executed in stunning cinematic fashion.

While the graphics during combat were pristine, the brief cutscenes didn't seem as polished -- Thor's hair looks especially strange when it's blowing in the wind -- and the team banter wasn't especially funny or memorable. Thor, in particular, sticks out like a sore thumb because he very much speaks in the original Chris Hemsworth cadence from before the engaging and hilarious Ragnarok reinvention of the character. Although, this is of course a demo of a still-in-progress game that won't be released for almost a year, so in theory there's still plenty of time for some of these things to get smoothed over.

While Thor, Hulk and Iron Man were each distinct enough that they almost felt like characters from entirely different games, Cap and Widow were, understandably, a bit similar in feel given they're all about melee combat with no eye-popping super powers to speak of. Still, it was an eventful good time watching the Avengers respond to a supervillain attack and do what they do best.

No insight was given on what kind of game this will be beyond the demo, so we'll have to wait and see for details on what progression, customization, and other elements will look like. But as far as this demo is concerned, the initial gameplay looks solid despite some obvious shortcomings.

I'm not finding the Giant Bomb's Ben video tho.

Mm, she is literally the leader of the current West Coast Avengers.
latest
West Coast and Young aren't really the main Avengers team. Even Ms. Marvel and Miles actually were in the main team.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
LMFAO, Kate was never even an Avenger. Not a main Avenger at least. Of course it will be Clint, but that doesn't mean they are "aping" the MCU at all, this is a very classic Avengers formation, also with Hank Pym in the mix.

It will look like the Fraction / Aja Hawkeye I believe, and he will probably be blonde and a smartass, very unlike MCU's Hawkeye. The MCU based the characters in the comics, not the other way around, so of course that there will be some similarities. Hawkeye has been looking like this in the comics for more than one decade now:

8y8MtzOgKC9GIJY197iLFg_8Cr6G_VGiDPgq9A3aD_zuUJNZGSkmie2xDc8ENA5ciipaMrr4hQxFg7HbApJ2ZVHaskzYxOrp8xKoK76phIVlwfTltW8Mra27kP1pq5yH0_O2EJJL87O-2R0-tGYuXIk6bSrvjrgb8bsr0Kh2RHEFHZcF=w220-h333-nc

By your logic, Hank Pym would have to be an old man, and we'd have Scott Lang instead.
Don't insult me. I read comics. I still go by my LCS every Wednesday. I'm not an idiot. I have the full run of Kelly Thompson's West Coast Avengers.

What I mean is, I already know exactly what the default model for Hawkeye is going to look like and it ain't going to be that.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Don't insult me. I read comics. I still go by my LCS every Wednesday. I'm not an idiot. I have the full run of Kelly Thompson's West Coast Avengers.

What I mean is, I already know exactly what the default model for Hawkeye is going to look like and it ain't going to be that.
I love Kate; Fraction's and Aja's Hawkeye is absolutely gold, and I dig Thompson's run. With that said, saying that Hawkeye needs to be Kate to differentiate from the MCU is just LOL. Pym is younger than in the MCU and part of the team. Unlike YEHL is saying, Thor seems a lot more serious than he is in the MCU, including before Ragnarok. I don't see the similarities at all.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You're missing the point. What I'm saying is the art design of the game is CLEARLY aping the MCU, but without their faces. I don't mean in terms of their acting or voices. But literally the 3D models. That's the entire point of this discussion. They're POOR knock-offs, too. Black Widow is pretty much Lord Farquad's daughter.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I know Squarevengers is still in development and will look better as time goes on but those faces look off as hell and Captain America looks like a Cop and Black Widow looks somehow like a high school teacher attempting to cosplay.

MUA3 looks off to but I put that on the Switch and had that style been on MvCI, everyone would've eat that shit like pizza.