• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
3max.jpg

Usually I just keep these posts to the physical release thread but The Banner Saga being one of the best RPG franchises of this generation has me wanting to make a bigger note of this.

https://www.ebgames.ca/PS4/Games/746427/the-banner-saga-collection
https://www.ebgames.ca/Xbox One/Games/746428/the-banner-saga-collection

Over at EBGames in Canada we have two new product listings for a Banner Saga collection releasing this Summer. No details are given but one can assume that, given the release date of TBS3 also being in the Summer (and the fact that it is called a collection...) that this will include the entire trilogy of games.

The games (well, at least the first two) are absolutely incredible and deserving of more attention. Hopefully once the trilogy is complete folk who have passed on the series so far will give it a shot.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Great games, and it's a shame that the sales dropped off with part 2. Maybe with a complete release people will jump in. Will definitely get this if it ever materializes

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Great games, and it's a shame that the sales dropped off with part 2. Maybe with a complete release people will jump in. Will definitely get this if it ever materializes

Yeah, was a bit worried for the final game after hearing how much things fell off with TBS2; I was relieved when the kickstarter for 3 was announced.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Banner Saga is really damn good. Well worth anyone's time. I can't wait for the 3rd game to come out.

Such amazing art and music, really awesome world building and branching choices. I hope Stoic can find some success and continue on with newer games after this cause they're top notch.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Also haven't played through the second game yet , even though i already bought it. Will wait until the 3rd is released and then begin a new playthrough.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
I would but my PS4 is for AAA titles. But this is a really good series - played on PC

Last edited:

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
Truly is an amazing RPG, you literally feel like impending doom is always ebbing closer the more you travel along the story.

Really tough choices which also have really harsh results coupled with you being at a disadvantage against the main opponent.

Not to mention the game looks drop dead gorgeous.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I have part 1 & 2 but never had a chance timewise to actually play part 2 as there was always something else releasing. If this is truly all 3 games on the physical media and not just download codes I may buy this.

Edit: I have a PS4 and a PC but I would really dig a physical Switch version with all 3 games on the cart. I think it would sell even at $50-60 US.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played 2 but got 1 on release. When I heard they were making 3 I decided to re play 1 and follow with the others in the same platform, so this will be perfect and I'll get it!

Do these play well on console? I've got 1 on steam but hate playing with mouse generally.

Deleted member 59

Nice. Always been a series I've wanted to try properly. Im in for a console purchase.

l will be honest, I've tweeted several times about Banner Saga on Switch using a nindie twitter handle, and each time the Banner Saga account and one or two devs like it. I'm assuming this will be across all platforms.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The art and music in these games are impeccable. It's definitely the highlight for me

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
i think 2 actually improves on some things mechanically, but it had the problem of being the being the middle part of a trilogy story-wise. Althought that's probably a lot less of an issue once the third game is out and you can just continue right away.

Stoic actually went and brought some of the changes made to TBS2 back to the original game like needing to spend days at camp to recover wounded characters or the expanded tooltips in combat. When all is said and done, mechanically, the games should flow together really well.

louris

Oct 27, 2017
Since I can't make a thread, I might as well ask in this one.

I just played the first game for the first time. I always knew these games were up my alley but never got around to play them. Now that 3 is on the horizon and closes the trilogy I got myself to play the first one.

A really enjoyable experience all around, I loved that some of the systems are not well explained and you have to find out for yourself, and the same about all the caravan and story choices. The game does a good job of putting you across decisions you have no idea what to do about, and little info to help you apart from your intuition, and your desire to explore the lore.

I think I did a pretty bad job on my first run, I completed the game in 149 days I believe, with some gut-wrenching moments. My question is this: is there much point to playing the game again and trying to get better outcomes, in order to have a "better" save for the second game, or should I just keep trucking along, with all my bad choices coming back to haunt me for ever? Mind you, I have no idea how and when things can go differently (I only know something happens if you manage to reach the end in 120 days or something) I could just try to do better, now that I know how the battle system and some of the caravan systems work. Or I can just be hardcore and continue on to the second game as is.

Please answer without any spoilers, and keeping in mind which is the best way to experience the games, I am not interested in min-maxing. However, I would like to know if I am missing any significant parts of the game because of the choices system. Again, I have no clue whatsoever how big the story branches go and how much they differ, if at all.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Some things will be different but I don't feel you miss out on anything really significant just sticking with your choices.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Since I can't make a thread, I might as well ask in this one.

I just played the first game for the first time. I always knew these games were up my alley but never got around to play them. Now that 3 is on the horizon and closes the trilogy I got myself to play the first one.

A really enjoyable experience all around, I loved that some of the systems are not well explained and you have to find out for yourself, and the same about all the caravan and story choices. The game does a good job of putting you across decisions you have no idea what to do about, and little info to help you apart from your intuition, and your desire to explore the lore.

I think I did a pretty bad job on my first run, I completed the game in 149 days I believe, with some gut-wrenching moments. My question is this: is there much point to playing the game again and trying to get better outcomes, in order to have a "better" save for the second game, or should I just keep trucking along, with all my bad choices coming back to haunt me for ever? Mind you, I have no idea how and when things can go differently (I only know something happens if you manage to reach the end in 120 days or something) I could just try to do better, now that I know how the battle system and some of the caravan systems work. Or I can just be hardcore and continue on to the second game as is.

Please answer without any spoilers, and keeping in mind which is the best way to experience the games, I am not interested in min-maxing. However, I would like to know if I am missing any significant parts of the game because of the choices system. Again, I have no clue whatsoever how big the story branches go and how much they differ, if at all.

Just keep trucking along. It's better to have your personal stamp on the story than to try and go to get the optimal outcome.

Talking to one of the devs at PAX, and playing the demo for 3, did make me feel dubious about a early choice I made in the first game... it'll just make for a more interesting second playthrough down the road I guess!

Last edited:

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
reposting this from the other similar thread, but man im so pumped for this. The Banner Saga is one of many games ive Kickstarted, but in the end one of the few that i consider my favorites from that flock. just finished a fresh runthrough of TBS2 to get ready for the finale and dropping in July is super perfect (i love immersing myself in "cold" fiction during the warmer summer months, and im planning on finishing a big move at the end of June, so it seems very apropos somehow).

IN IT TO WIN IT FOLKA 4EVER

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Always wanted to get in on this series and this would be perfect for that. Awesome.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there'll be a physical Switch release for all three games down the road.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
also, for anyone curious about "perfect" or ideal runs: this series isnt really about that. the games arent very hard and they arent very long (my last runthrough of TBS2 took me 19 hours and that's with leaving the game running during bathroom breaks, cooking meals, &c) and in my opinion lend themselves well to being "experienced". make the decisions you think are the right ones at the time, and see where the story takes you, where you end up. my first playthrough was legitimately shocking at multiple points but instead of restarting and trying again, i pushed on because i wanted to see what awaited me at the very end more than i wanted to metagame.

as it stands, i have a save game for my original blind run (all the heartrending decisions and failures intact) and a save game that follows a little bit of a "best of" guide.(high renown/levels, lots of powerful items, real fuckin' wrecking crew of hard-hitting viking mothers).

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be buying.

Word of warning: I personally found the combat in 1 to be super mediocre.

The rest of the game is great though. Art, story, decision making.