• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Before I get started, this topic is separated from the pinned Black History Month 2020 thread specifically because the underlying goal of that thread is the lifting up of significant people within and accomplishments of the black community throughout history. It's a topic that is more about hope rather than tragedy and I feel I'd only taint that topic by including what is an infuriating history of the Black Panther Party.

Behind the Bastards is semi-comedic history and biography podcast about the outlining of significant figures (people and entities) in the history of not just the US but the world who did/have committed an array of acts of abuse, pain and strife through action, policy, and rhetoric; often so vast and insidiously influential as to affect the state of modern societies. A good comparison would be the similar historical comedy podcast The Dollop, except specifically about the worst of the worst humanity has produced. From Ragnar Redbeard, a man whose bigoted writings could be seen as the foundation for contemporary ideals of toxic masculinity such as Mens' Rights Activism and Incel Culture, the development of 8chan from its beginnings to its current status as a hub for violent bigots, the pedophile hub disguised as the progressive Odenwaldeschule, to the rise of the YouTube alt-right pipeline.

This specific set of two episodes covers the rise of the Black Panther movement and the gross retaliation against the movement by the very foundational entities of the US that many naively believe to work for the betterment of citizens and perpetuation of equality. Together both come to about 2hrs+ of listening but I highly encourage listening even if you personally believe you know all there is to know about the general history of civil rights and/or the BPP in specific.:
Episode One (~76 minutes)
Episode Two (~76 minutes)

I feel that this episode in particular is paramount for our current climate and for those ill informed about the realities of fighting for and preserving their humanity and equality as a concept. Something that is made absolutely clear in these episodes is that there is a fundamental misunderstanding about why those in the BPP carried guns and why general militant attitudes directed at the system were a necessity then and now.

Whitewashing history has, in my opinion, given the general public only a vague grasp of the stakes of the civil rights era. The battle then and now isn't simply about just ideals or laws but lives. Then and now, the battle is about the institutions of law and government using their powers to not just repress but kill. You don't have to use a gun to destroy a people since you can also use power and that has been the MO of white supremacy since Antebellum.

Often I see the sentiment that only the MLK "style" of civil rights activism was in the right because it didn't involve guns or righteous anger. Beyond just being naive, it's a sentiment born from the luxury of being unable to imagine what one has to do to actually preserve their right to freedom and life against an all encompassing and powerful entity focused on destroying you. Death and subjugation is what birth a necessity of a group like the BPP. It wasn't created by uppity people looking for a fight. It was formed by people actively loosing friends, family and humanity at the hands of their own country. It also wasn't just a group of black men arming themselves up but a community-focused organization that did work to help the marginalized who were ignored by that same government by providing services the institutions didn't care to. And in the face of this reality, institutions from government to media reacted by doing their best to spread disinformation and erase the ideals of BPP through propaganda in favor of creating a narrative of a vague dangerous organization that was the "less good" faction of civil rights. It's goals were to demonize the very idea of militancy and prevent it from being seen as a legitimate response to systematic and generational oppression. I want to assuage that notion in the minds of modern day people marginalized or otherwise because it only serves to limit the options people believe they have for pushing back against being destroyed and actively disenfranchised.

The BPP should be seen as an inspiration for the marginalized just as much as any other civil rights group because their ideals were valid in the context of the US, a country considered "civilized" and "progressive". The BPP shouldn't be taken as a lesson that should be avoided in the modern day in terms of activism because the things they fought against still plague the country. Oppression and marginalization has not ended and it would be folly for any activist to not take as many lessons as they can from those who came before who were battered continually by the cruel hands of the status quo. The government fought against civil rights leaders including the Black Panthers through propaganda, threats, violence and manipulation of the law, not because they were too militant or ornery or because it was interested in preserving law and order and decorum. The government fought against these activists because it knew that those activists had the power to change things for the better and that goal needed to be nipped in the bud to never be fulfilled by anyone.

Last edited:

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Love this podcast but I am so behind, really need to catch up on these episodes!

OP
OP
EdibleKnife

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Sticking with the theme of thread, The Dollop Fred Hampton episode was incredible and heartbreaking also.

Same! The last one I listened to was the Sea Monkey inventor's nazi ties
I'm actually slowly making my way through the Fred Hampton book by Jeffrey Haas. It's one of those similar to Medical Apartheid and Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome, that are so tough for me to get through because of how much they delve into the depths of the extent and power of white supremacy and the damage it causes each and every day let alone throughout all of history.

And speaking of Nazi's the most recent episode is shaping up to be really good to since it focuses on a woman called Savitri Devi who was crucial in the mythologizing and religious remaking of Nazism.

Thanks OP. This piece is over a year old but it's well worth reading:

www.theguardian.com

The Black Panthers still in prison: after 46 years, will they ever be set free?

Over two years, Ed Pilkington has interviewed eight African American radicals imprisoned since the 1970s. Will they ever be freed?
People, even well meaning ones, are desperate to decontextualize oppression as an ancient ill and that the US has gotten more civilized but stories like these just show that a fair US that learns from its mistakes and is active in providing equality is a myth that only those ignorant to reality and history believe. The time when civil rights leaders were picked off by law enforcement through arrest and violence is as much still here and relevant as it was then. Little has changed and less has been learned by the general public.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also check out Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution on Netflix.

They were the greatest political party in US history.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Behind the Bastards is incredible, and the BP episodes were indeed great.

On top of all the obvious stuff, the discussion Robert and Prop had towards the end about the hypocrisy of the type of people who complain about the content of rap but then just eat up mafia films was great.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend loves this podcast and I listen to it with her sometimes, not a fan of podcasts myself but thi si a good one.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard these episodes, but I really like this podcast. The episodes about Steven Seagal and Trump University are both outstanding. I'm actually listening to the episode about Alex Jones right now.

OP
OP
EdibleKnife

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't heard these episodes, but I really like this podcast. The episodes about Steven Seagal and Trump University are both outstanding. I'm actually listening to the episode about Alex Jones right now.
All three are really really good. I never liked Seagal but didn't realize how much of a scumbag he was till that episode about him.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
So there's a new episode out now about David Grossman, the scholar of "killology" who wrote the handbook which serves as the foundation of the current US law enforcement doctrine.

www.iheart.com

The Man Who Teaches Our Cops To Kill - Behind the Bastards | iHeart

<p>Robert is joined by Jack O'Brien to discuss David Grossman, director of the Killology Research Group. More than a hundred police departments, and thousands of police officers, have taken Grossman’s courses over more than twenty years. </p><p><strong>FOOTNOTES:</strong></p><ol> <li><a...