• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Thematically what you would want OST to be and what 2042 is about they would never match in any way. This OST fits themes and tones of 2042 perfectly, just like you said. Same time once you are in matches you very much end up forgetting about that theme of climate crisis and end of the world. At that point it's just another fast paced Battlefield, but this time with weather effects.

These tracks most likely only play partially at end of rounds.
This is kind of making me hope they play at some point during the big climate storms if you get too close. Would be perfect to accentuate the ferocity of the climate effects.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, ehhhh for a battlefield theme it's just, doesn't work.
But then you look at her work in Chernobyl and can see how some of the other track in this leak work in a thematic way.

Like at 23:42 you can hear it's similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDnT_ORAnVg
By itself in a vacuum having never seen Chernobyl maybe?, it's aight; but with the cinematography, cheff kiss.

Oct 26, 2017
So I listened to the rest of the soundtrack on good headphones, and while not exactly a fan, it does sound ok, but that Main theme? Lol. The rest is accentuated and works as a soundtrack. The main theme is just
EWFzV.gif

It's a mess of distorted classical instruments with electronic elements that just doesn't work unlike the rest of the tracks.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like one could make a version of the theme that fits the setting, more dreary, hopeless, chaotic, and not make the theme actually hurt to listen to. Because it distracts from the intention and instead just makes you go: "What the hell was that?"

blazinglazers

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This is fucking awesome you nerds. Legit experimental score in a AAA title. Modern BF has been pushing this heavy tech sound for years, and it's šŸ”„

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds pretty rough but maybe I'll get used to it. I loaded up BFV last night and was reminded of how amazing the music is. Just idled in the menu for a bit lol

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
That happens when you hire composer who primarily deals with soundscapes and forced to write an actual melody *runs*.

To be fair, they should've gone full synthetic like BF3 and BF4, this just feels half-assed.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
It just sounds like an overproduced array of bad noise.

The pinnacle of BF themes for me was the first Bad Company - simple enough, but plenty of boom. And once you have that in your head, the BF3 works too.

Reference listening material:

Aug 31, 2019
It honestly sounds like bits are missing. Like I keep expecting to hear something that ties it together and then nothing happens.

Having said that, I'm not judging it for now: I think it's the kind of thing you have to hear in context, especially since music for games aren't just "time to play mp3 file", but are complicated live mixes in their own right. Also this is a leak, so who knows what that means in terms of audio quality / output / draft to final level.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Having never even ever played any Battlefield, but hearing the original Battlefield 1942 theme and then 2042...it makes sense? A hundred years later, the same heroic-sounding theme is now a twisted-up dark, version of its former self. Again I know nothing of Battlefield and what happened in any of the games, but even if the song itself sounds like shit, it's appropriately shitty.

grimrepo

Jan 9, 2018
Having never even ever played any Battlefield, but hearing the original Battlefield 1942 theme and then 2042...it makes sense? A hundred years later, the same heroic-sounding theme is now a twisted-up dark, version of its former self. Again I know nothing of Battlefield and what happened in any of the games, but even if the song itself sounds like shit, it's appropriately shitty.

War is not heroic - It's twisted and dark - One of the reasons I don't like V is the music it feels wrong

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I hear that theme I don't think 'end of the world' at all. Like people have mentioned, it's just sounds like an overproduced remix. Are people suggesting it's going for an apocalyptic vibe? Because songs like In the House in a Heartbeat evokes a better sense of dread and 'the world is over' vibe. If you watched 28 Days Later then you know the song. Even Metro Exodus remixed and tried to modernize it to fit the theme of their game.

Idk. Maybe this song delves too hard into the horror aspect, but I think it does a much better job at letting the user know that shit ain't sweet.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, but this new theme rules. I really like what they made of it.

It is blatantly obvious that this is just a shitty ass mic recording of the soundtrack (or something like 16 kbps) and I am pretty confident that it will sound great with better sound quality.

it really baffles me that plenty of you seem to think that this might actually be the "final" theme song of a ~20 year running multi million dollar franchise, tbh
It is clearly either a mic recording of a cinema or badly encoded or something

Last edited:

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
The more I listen to it the more I like it. I think this will be very good for crazy end match where you are leading 9 tickets to 6, when the muisic will start playing this will be very stressing.

but I also think this is a bit overproduced and that this leak sounds like a 64kbps MP3 from 1997. I need to hear it during gameplay with correct sound resolution and my usual audio gear. But I think it will work.

Apr 30, 2019
It sounds like it was purposefully made to sound bad and annoying. How could anyone green light that thinking it sounds even remotely decent?

Oct 28, 2017
ITT we pretend like aesthetic preferences are objective? This happens all the time with visuals around here as well.

Gudnadottir usually goes beyond the generic and excpected, and is all the better for it. I love her work with Sunn O))) as well.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Feels on point with the setting of the game but not something I'd listen to again repeatedly, unlike Battlefield 5's take on the main theme (Which is AMAZING, and sounds ingame during matches on Rotterdam, causing me to sprint into enemy lines and get obliterated every time it plays).

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Much like BF3 and BF4, it will go from being universally seen as the worst versions of the theme to having people miss it and love it 10 years from now.

But BF1 and BFV's soundtracks will forever be the best.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It fits the theme of 2042 and is kind of interesting.

But compared to the remainder of the Battlefield themes it's pretty unlistenable when divorced from the context of the game.

Sounds like their instruments were broken but they decided to record it anyway.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's not great to listen to alone for sure, but I imagine with context, in game, it is trying to sell just how fucked things are. It manages that I guess?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Listened to OST more and when mirrored against what are supposed to be themes and tones of 2042's setting it really works.

Twisted, broken, dark... Can't wait to listen proper release so bitrate isn't total garbage.

Tho I can see why people want old good upbeat heroic and light tunes that is original theme.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
? Maybe I'm tripping but I actually kinda liked it? I will say the mixing of the audio does sound off, but I'd assume that may be due to it being leaked.

Aug 31, 2019
Ok, after listening to the whole thing: I don't hate it? I might even like it?

The sound quality is obviously garbage, which is the leak for you. It reminds me of some of the weirder music I listened to back in the mid 2000s. Most obviously and mainstream-ly like a more ambient / esoteric version of the already somewhat odd Amon Tobin, who did the Chaos Theory soundtrack. Which is something.

I also think it's much more interesting and coherent than whatever the fuck was going on in the reveal trailer. To me that sounded like it was mixed by at least three different people fighting over the controls, who at various points were very inspired by Red Alert, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Tenet, didn't agree on anything and were contractually obliged to put a remixed pop song in there.

I'll check it out once a good quality version is available. Whether it works for the game in context is impossible to say.

I definitely like that something so mainstream as battlefield is getting a soundtrack this weird.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
For the theme specifically, surely there's better ways to convey the bleak setting if it's going to be replete with so much amped up distortions.

The mix sounds so off.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Can't lie, first thing that came to mind in that initial opening was the Jurassic Park flute theme meme. As it went on though and got to the main parts of it I started to feel it more and think it works well. The opening does still tickle me though lol.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I joked before how every new modern iteration got more and more static-like. Now it sounds like I'm trying to listen to it through a radio that gets no reception.

Nov 7, 2017
It just sounds like an overproduced array of bad noise.

The pinnacle of BF themes for me was the first Bad Company - simple enough, but plenty of boom. And once you have that in your head, the BF3 works too.

Reference listening material:

Man, hearing some of the older themes back to back with this new one makes it sound even worse.
It doesn't sound like a Battlefield theme at all .

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao is this real? I didn't know what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't that.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Battlefield 4 was the last time we got a decent remix of the theme. That said it's funny how this one keeps getting worse as it goes on lol.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
The end is definitely a bit of a mess. Need to wait till we have a higher quality sample, because I remember thinking that the remixed version of mechanical rhythm sounded terrible till we got a clear version of it.