• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Madden is also great. Never watched GOT so I don't have a barometer to judge his talent, but in some scenes you can really sense his seething anger or tension and it reminded me a lot of Patrick Mcgoohan in The Prisoner.

He's honestly pretty awful in Game of Thrones. He's very solid in this though.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the series yesterday, and overall I found it very good. Like most people already said, the beginning is much stronger than the second half, which relied a bit too much on forced twists, which was silly and contrary to the tone that was established at the start. Madden/Budd was good in the main role though, much better presence than the one he had in GoT.

Musha_Soturi

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed OP, I don't watch a lot of stuff on bbc these days but this is one of the best things they've put out in a long time. I loved it.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Loved the first half of the season then it started getting too messy and didn't stick the landing.

The bomb maker's scene was wonderfully acted but revealing themselves in that moment didn't make any sense at all. I also don't like that it turned out a muslim extremist group was behind the bombs. It's shitty and lazy. Longcross and his groups involvement makes no sense whatsoever as they both provided the dirty intel on the PM AND plotted against the Home Secretary. Madden was really solid in this though, which was good to see.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Watched the first two episodes on Netflix Aus and I am finding it great. Not as gripping as Line of Duty but still good. Geat to hear that Libe of Duty returns next year. I thought it would be 2020.

Anyone that is in this thread and likes what they see and haven't seen Line of Duty - do themselves a favour and get into that ASAP

TRASH PANDA

Dec 11, 2017
I really wasn't sure about this one and decided to watch the clip on YouTube. I was sold instantly.
My partner and I ended up watching this from start to end in a weekend. Good job BBC.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Binged it during the weekend, loved every second of it. I guess there won't be a season 2?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it in one day, great show. Annoying for most of the finale though. I was really annoyed at how quickly
everyone was to turn on Budd but I guess it makes sense in the end since his boss was the mole.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's fun and great binge material. I loved the main cast and performances.

My only issue was that it was a bit too tropey, the writing/plot was just too stupid at times. Making it very predictable.

Some fantastic scenes though.

I'm guessing that she didn't really die, and that they were faking her death to prevent further attacks? S2 plot?

Finished it in one day, great show. Annoying for most of the finale though. I was really annoyed at how quickly
everyone was to turn on Budd but I guess it makes sense in the end since his boss was the mole.

That bothered me too. Same issue I had with 24.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that she didn't really die, and that they were faking her death to prevent further attacks? S2 plot?
I was convinced that was the case from the moment it happened but they didn't really hint at it in the remaining three episodes
and leaving the tablet in her apartment wouldn't make sense
, so I guess not?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was convinced that was the case from the moment it happened but they didn't really hint at it in the remaining three episodes
and leaving the tablet in her apartment wouldn't make sense
, so I guess not?

I think that the people that gave her the tablet don't know about this either, and this cover up goes higher up.
It is just odd that we never see her deceased body. And the show has shown a tendency for some massive fake-outs (like the suicide attempt and the Muslim character being an amazing actress, turning out to be the true mastermind).

I could see it as a good mid-season twist for S2. Also because the show very much needs that character to work, if you ask me. We'll see!

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Just finished it and then told mum and she binged it in one day lol. Loved it all even if the second half felt weaker, read in an interview the creator also did Line of Duty so I should probably check that out as well.

Sounds like there'll be a season 2 which I look forward to

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Watch this over the last couple days. Pretty enjoyable, started off very strong but definitely weakened more and more in the second half. While nothing terribly egregious a few of those "twists" and subversions felt quite unearned and lacking. Still though overall an enjoyable series I wouldn't mind seeing more of if they can come with something decent.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the show was a lot of fun - very pulpy and propulsive. I never considered it to be "realistic" so the crazy developments in the later episodes didn't bother me or strike me as incongruent with what came before. I was on the edge of my seat throughout that whole last episode - a thrilling conclusion to what was definitely one of the tensest shows of the year.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Second half sort of sucked, especially the final episode. First half was great though.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just started watching on Netflix

Mjed.gif

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on E4 and the British parliament and security are bizarre as fuck.

Can a ex-soldier with massive ptsd and mental issues really be a body guard for the home secretary.
Bodyguards have adjoining rooms with public officials in hotels.
Cops have massive machine guns.
CCTV is the answer to everything.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a drama? A spy thriller reminiscent of Counterpart? More of an action show like a British 24?

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Binged it in two days. I liked it overall but the conclusion has been a mess and relied too much on tropes and cliches. But once again BBC proves to be the best public broadcaster there is.

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed until the last episode, which undid all the good the first 5 episodes did. Perhaps one of the worst endings I have ever seen. I've never been so angry at a show like I was angry at the end of this. Reminded me of the worst episodes of Designated Survivor or some shit.

Last edited:

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Just finished after a two day binge. I very much enjoyed it although I can definitely see how some would be upset with the ending. The show does keep you guessing the entire time though. It was a great decision to keep it trim with a relatively short six episodes. The story moves quickly and keeps you wanting to know more without ever being boring. I'd watch a season two but this show would likely be better off as a one and done.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they definitely chickened out on
making the protagonist the mastermind behind everything.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It went from pretty bad to total fucking dogshit in episode 6.
The last episode jumps so far off the deep end that the water was filled with sharks that are clowns that spent 5 years in clown college getting their Masters in dogshit.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
This had an amazing opening scene on the train.

Then it goes into plot and character free-fall.

So many better shows on TV, including Mercurio's own work on Line of Duty.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Just finished season 1 on netflix... holy shit what a series!! One of best I have ever seen... gipping ride from start to finish.

Hope there will be a second season.

mrjohill

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished season 1. Man was anyone else convinced that
something was going to happen to his family as they drove away?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Just rewatched Luther season 1 after bodyguard and definitely prefer that if I'm looking for a high concept British crime show. They aren't a direct comparison but I think still scratch the same itch

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Gonna finish the first series today, shit really ramped up last episode. Love it.

One of the best opening scenes too, liked it more than the shooting scene.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Amazing show for 5 eps. The last episode has some of the worst writing I've ever seen. Like, the doldrums of 24 were more plausible.

The girl bomber pretending to be someone she wasn't up until the end was a howler. Just absolutely absurd on its face, a moment of contrived exposition with the thinnest weakest motivation.

This shows obsession with dumb fake outs needs to go away if there's a s2.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Was really good, but that last twist was just awful. Like if that entire scene was cut out it would have been so much better.

Hopefully if they do another season they wont try and pull another "oh shit" ending, or atleast have a good one.

Claww

Nov 7, 2017
This is hitting the spot. Third episode in and I'm digging it. Sucks about the latter half impressions, but I'll see it through.