• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a necro bump, but I finally got around to watching this show and I loved it.

Sure the last episode strains the suspension of disbelief quite a bit, and that twist sure was... Surprising to say the least (in a bollocks kind of way) but also strangely sayisfying (in a Get Out kind of way).

All this being said, tying up all the lose ends take a a bit of mental gymnastics... But there is one link I can't quite make at the end because the show does not address it, though it is strongly implied in the series.

Maybe I missed something, and I wanted to check what the ideas are, because I haven't really found this adressed properly online so far.

Of course, it's about the bomb that killed Julia.

At the end, we know that somehow, Nadia was the bomb maker all along, and somehow -from prison the whole time- she got in touch with an organized crime boss (Luke Aitken) to help him sow chaos, including a corrupt Police Superintendent (Lorraine Craddock), in order to kill the Home Secretary and have David Budd blamed in the end.
Somehow, Nadia also directed her terrorist cell from prison, and told them to attack David's kids' school... Because... Thing.

Nevermind, that's not my problem here.

With all the red herrings, by the end we know that the other two main areas of suspicion, aka the Secret Services (Stephen Hunter and Longcross) and Home Department (Mike Travis and Rob McDonald) were just playing tug o' war with power alongside Julia and were not directly related to the assassination attempts.
Ok...
But waaaiiiit a minute here.

The show went through a long and detailed explanation about how the bomb wasn't in the briefcase, that it was planted under the podium, and that being in an airtight container (to avoid dog sniffing explosives) it apparently was relying on plate pressure to be detonated.
Pressure by 2 people being on stage (hence Tahir Mahmood being sent there).
Which then directly implicates McDonald and Travis from Home Department as having directed the bomb planting and being accomplices (at the very least Travis) of the bombing... As they obviously sent Mahmood there with specific instructions.

So why dropping that "little" detail completely at the end, brushing it aside with a "Luke Aitken just found a way somehow" ...

So... Am I off my rocker here, or is it a case of "Orient Express murder" (they All had a hand in it) with some unsolved ties?

/End of ramblings
just finished it and thought the exact same thing

the whole pressure plate/Mahmood thing doesn't make a lot of sense with the final explanation. or are we supposed to believe that it was all just a big accident?

I still think it was a good show. never truly great but it managed to get my attention and keep me interested. the least episode was thrilling despite some logic issues and some things falling into place too easily.
generally it was very similar to 24 I think, with all the moles and twists and how the show plays with your expectations about who's behind it all.

Last edited:

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the show, but also agree with most of the issues presented in the thread to varying degrees. It's a quick watch and does what it sets out to do to at a pretty high level until it runs out of gas at about halfway. Worth a watch for sure.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
That's one of the reasons it turned me off, it very much was 24: Britannia.

I don't really want to watch that.

I will admit the opening train scene was great however.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the terrorists initial plan was to turn their brilliant bomb maker into a suicide bomber, then the plan was to continue running the cell from prison/custody while continuing to make bombs for the terrorist cell!

Completely ruined this show for me.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Watched 2 episodes and it seemed alright. It's got a lot of money pumped into it and the action is rather good. However, I found the relationship aspect so tacky and seedy, like what's the fucking point other than sex sells?

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The first two episodes were really good. The finale on the other hand, puh.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, the terrorists initial plan was to turn their brilliant bomb maker into a suicide bomber, then the plan was to continue running the cell from prison/custody while continuing to make bombs for the terrorist cell!

Completely ruined this show for me.
The only way you can tie it all together is if
Nadia and her cell, Aitken the thug, Police's Cradock and HD Travis/ McDonald were all working together/ using each other to prepare a coup, starting even before the Train incident.
That's a pretty big pill to swallow, and makes me ponder if season 2 will continue the storyline, or just move in a completely different direction.

Still love the show though :)

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way you can tie it all together is if
Nadia and her cell, Aitken the thug, Police's Cradock and HD Travis/ McDonald were all working together/ using each other to prepare a coup, starting even before the Train incident.
That's a pretty big pill to swallow, and makes me ponder if season 2 will continue the storyline, or just move in a completely different direction.

Still love the show though :)

Which would make no sense because...

The terrorists bombings were to spread panic which causes the bill to increase search and surveillance measures which directly conflicts with Aitken whose sole reason for being involved was because he was trying to prevent the bill from passing.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Finished watching this a few days and we really enjoyed it.

Just the exit of Julia M was pretty abrupt, we thought it was because her death had been faked or because the actor had a falling out and had to be written off!
Anyway, made for some good tension as we couldn't guess who would live and who would die

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
just finished it and thought the exact same thing

the whole pressure plate/Mahmood thing doesn't make a lot of sense with the final explanation. or are we supposed to believe that it was all just a big accident?

I still think it was a good show. never truly great but it managed to get my attention and keep me interested. the least episode was thrilling despite some logic issues and some things falling into place too easily.
generally it was very similar to 24 I think, with all the moles and twists and how the show plays with your expectations about who's behind it all.

I believe their initial thoughts were that it -could- have been pressure activated or a timer, there just wasn't enough left to definitively say. They focused on pressure plate because the Arab-descended guy appeared on the side of the stage where it happened. Thus they shaped the narrative to fit their preconceived notions of brown person equals terrorist so how would he detonate if briefcase wasn't the bomb? Pressure plate!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The new BBC/Amazon series 'Informer' is drawing positive comparisons to 'Bodyguard', so I thought people might be interested:

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Whereas the conspiracy in Bodyguard was this confusing mess that often tested patience when it got too implausible, the rest of it was pretty straightforward (and yes, entertaining). But there's more dramatic ambition at the core of Informer, and the same level of barn-burning pace and action. The good news is you don't have to choose. But Informer doesn't yet have the buzz of Bodyguard, so don't lose sight of it.

Screenrant said:
At just six hours long, Informer can be a slightly long binge-watch or something you'll want to dole out over a few days. It will likely work better as the latter, as each episode is fairly dense and has no problem approaching 60-minute mark. But even at that length, the episodes never feel overlong or tedious. Instead, the series just continues to ratchet up the tension on both sides of the law, to make for a truly smart, captivating thriller.

IndieWire said:
Solid Counterterrorism Drama For Anyone 'Bodyguard' Left Cold

Variety said:
this is a show that rewards giving oneself over to its general mood if not its story in every particular. "Informer" is propulsive and boasts two leads, Rizwan and Considine, at the peak of their abilities; it's every bit an exciting answer to the American crime procedural, shows that themselves are not credible in every moment but that build out moods of rich possibility. Throughout "Informer," one feels just about anything could happen to its characters. This show's heedless willingness to embrace narrative risk means more than its occasional wrong steps, and makes for an experience well worth trying.

New York Times said:
'Informer' Finds a Fresh Take on the Terrorism Thriller

Oct 25, 2017
That shooting scene in the second episode is so bad tho, you never get a sense of where is the car in relation to the buildings or to the shooter, nothing makes any sense. Straight stopped watching after that

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That shooting scene in the second episode is so bad tho, you never get a sense of where is the car in relation to the buildings or to the shooter, nothing makes any sense. Straight stopped watching after that
did you not see the iphone. and that's part of the point to be disoriented. nobody knew anything

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Glad he won, thought he was really good. Should of had a supporting award for the actress who played the politician imo.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it and it was pretty good. Although the last episode is pretty weak explanation for everything.

I don't get what happened. Did Longcross and the Security Service get away with it? Or the acting Home Secretary?
Was Anne Sampson in on it or not? Was it a red herring with her supposed ties to organized crime?

And Madden delivered a pretty good performance for sure.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and I thought it was pretty good until the ending twist, Rob Stark was pretty good I thought.

Also, is ta a common way of saying bye in England?

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it but man the back end really fizzled out and felt rushed.
Is this series supposed to continue or was it a 1off ?

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Show fell apart at the end of ep3.

Ok so it's not just me, I was sooo in up until the end of 3. The dynamic between the two leads was fantastic and I could give zero shits about any of these other characters . I'm honestly hitting the +10 seconds thing on Netflix, I'm annoyed as heck at this show lol. It went straight into frustrating "24" territory and I hoped that wouldn't be the case.
* Read the wiki* Yup straight onto bs "24 " territory. What a bummer, I loved the first 3 episodes.

Last edited:

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Finished and it was really good but like most posters said, rather weak on the finish.
LE has a huge area covered because of his bomv vest and he just fled over a graveyard on foot?

And yea, i thought Budds PPO boss was him mother the first minutes because of that "mum".

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished watching this show last night and WOW.

What a fucking show. So good I want to watch it again.

I had no idea Rob Stark could act this good.

Been reading things on season 2 and it looks like we probably won't see one for another 1+ years since they said that they want to make it even better than season 1.