• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best announcements so far this year was that we are getting the current Beamdog library of Enhanced Edition CRPGs on console (PS4, XB1, Switch). I was a bit skeptical, the Baldur's Gate PS1 port back in the day was what I figured would be my entry into the series but it never, officially, released. Could this release really bring the games over and have them play well all these years later? You have to figure there are significant limitations on what can be done with old games so it seemed a tall order.

Well, Beamdog put in the work because what they showed at PAX East this year was a very pleasant surprise. I got to talk to the CEO of the studio, Trent Oster, and other employees manning the booth which surfaced some cool information but first let's talk about how the games plays.

While Baldur's Gate was the only title on the show floor all the Infinity Engine titles in the collection, aside from UI design and maybe a handful of one-off situations, should play the same so you can extrapolate from there. I'm just not sure how Neverwinter Nights fits into the equation with it being on different tech. Anyways, here's the controller mapping for the PAX demo…

jZMcstq.jpg

So the biggest thing out of the gate is the ability to directly control your party with the analogue stick during exploration. Apparently the team at Beamdog had to go and squash a huge amount of pathfinding issues in the game to get this working (formations are still in the game and work with this as well) and I'm grateful for it and the ability to highlight all interactable items on-screen. I had assumed with the age of the games that something like this was not going to happen but they pulled it off. It is a bit funny to see your party, trying to keep formation, dance around you as you twirl the analogue stick.

If you prefer though you can go back to a cursor based setup. This is how combat is still controlled but with the AI options on everyone stomped the spiders in the demo so fast it was hard to get a feel for it. If you wanted to put the games on a lower difficulty and let the AI handle a good chunk of combat so you can just focus on the story that's a valid option.

wdo4rgp.jpg

PNfPDfj.jpg

The majority of the menus have been converted to radial menus so, as seen above, for things like setting command groups it's all driven by the analogue stick position rather than an on-screen cursor.

The game UI itself has been tweaked from the PC/Mobile release to streamline things such as the color indicator for party members on the field will change to reflect damage (green, yellow, red) but everything is there. Apologies for the blurry pics but you should be able to get the idea.

XStoa47.jpg

KPD7fls.jpg

You can adjust the zoom level with the d-pad and expand the text box as well if you want a longer history of events. You can get the camera in real close if you want to see everything break up visually, but the game looks sharp from a solid distance. I asked if Beamdog had looked into the new AI scaling options but apparently it was too late in the process in addition to concerns about throwing much bigger images at this older tech, that it would balloon the file size and the alternative of doing that scaling in real time would impact performance. If I remember correctly they are using HQx for scaling but I may have misheard there; it wasn't running with an integer scale so there was something smoothing things together.

Now for some bulleted info from the developers.
  • CEO of the studio was against the idea at first but the team convinced him to let them try it.
  • The games have been torn apart and put back together again to get all these control options added. It's been a large undertaking for the studio.
  • Implementing a browser for player-made modules in Neverwinter Nights (PC) is not off the table for the console version. Even being able to define rendering options (new renderer is coming for the PC version) on a per console basis is a *potential* option. So something where a fan campaign can define higher quality shadows on PS4 but not Switch to save performance.
  • How the physical release will work (how many SKUs, what games, etc) is still an ongoing discussion with Skybound.
  • The plan is for all the games to be done before the end of the year and to all release at the same time.
  • No online co-op at launch but could come later.
I was incredibly impressed with this demo, PS1 Baldur's Gate this is not. The folks from Beamdog talked a lot about how much of a labour of love this has been and I think that really shows with the current build. I'm really excited to finally play these games with a controller in-hand.

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Right on, I've been curious about this implementation so good to see some details. I spent a good while experimenting with the steam controller and BG1 because it seemed like a good test subject for the limits of what that thing could do. Despite my best efforts there were just some fundamental things that made it very difficult to get a solid setup.

So the biggest thing out of the gate is the ability to directly control your party with the analogue stick during exploration. Apparently the team at Beamdog had to go and squash a huge amount of pathfinding issues in the game to get this working (formations are still in the game and work with this as well) and I'm grateful for it.

This right here being one of the big ones. Controlling and managing the party was just a big bundle of compromises and most of them bad. Not to mention limitations around what had hotkeys and a ton of other little things. Really looking forward to giving it a go.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
This right here being one of the big ones. Controlling and managing the party was just a big bundle of compromises and most of them bad. Not to mention limitations around what had hotkeys and a ton of other little things. Really looking forward to giving it a go.

I'm in the exact same boat. I must have tried these games on my TV through a PC 3 or 4 times now with a variety of controllers. It just never felt good.

Having native controller support and a new UI makes a real difference in playability.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Divinity Original Sin was the game that made me realize ANYTHING could be played with a gamepad, if the developers were willing to put in the footwork. Now, these old Infinity Engine games are probably the hardest thing I could imagine getting a gamepad to work with, so it's pretty awesome that Beamdog are willing to roll their sleeves up and make it happen. It's especially exciting for me since now my D&D loving friends who only own consoles might actually be willing to try these classics.

I do hope they bring a gamepad option to PC, as well, since they've gone to all this trouble. I've really lost my taste for M&K these last few years, honestly, so I'm curious if this wins out in any specific way.

Meadbeard

Apr 6, 2018
The console version of pillars of eternity had the fantastic option to automatically slow combat speed, mixed with auto pause it made the combat work really well on a controller.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Hope they bring these controller enhancements to the pc versions but after the Pillars 1 console port I'm not too hopeful :/ (Many pc gamers play from the couch on a tv too)

Even so incredible games and it's awesome that so many people who haven't had the chance to experience them will be getting such great and thoughtful ports.

Last edited:

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
If you wanted to put the games on a lower difficulty and let the AI handle a good chunk of combat so you can just focus on the story that's a valid option

I 'm very happy to hear this.
I played Pillars of Eternity on PS4 on the story mode difficulty and it was pretty enjoyable.

Are we getting Neverwinter Nights 2 also?

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I'm delighted to buy all of these again. The lack of mods however is a REAL detriment.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, the idea that all the infinity engine games (RIP ID2) would come to something like a Nintendo console, and even a nintendo handheld, and not only that might be enjoyable to play? I'd have called you a damned idiot liar not that crazy long of a time ago.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Direct control is huge. Kind of a crazy undertaking. Assuming these ports actually turn out, I'm in.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Wonder if the pc version will get patched in control support too? Seems like it won't given they tore the whole game apart to do it.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I've had BG1 for so many years and never come close to finishing it. Game pad controls make me as eager as ever to give it another go.

Although to be honest, I think it was D&D rules more than anything that gave me trouble. I remember having to learn to use magic missle to interrupt spell casting or something.

I did finish Pillars of Eternity earlier this year, though.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Hell yeah, thanks for the preview. Can't fucking wait to play through Baldur's Gate again! This sounds amazing.

I look at all the effort Beamdog is putting into these ports and then at Square's FFVII and FFIX ports that still have bugs from the first PC versions 10 years ago and just shake my head.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even with direct control I can't imagine any but Planescape not being tedious in combat heavy areas. Planescape's combat is sparse enough and often fairly simple so basically just throwing your AI party at a mob is enough (and it's not like it's a game that needs to be played above normal anyway).

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Might pick up one of these for Switch, obviously cliche line, but Switch does seem perfect for them.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Really impressive work. The only thing that could notably improve things for controllers is adding in a turn based mode like Pillars of Eternity 2, although that might be unfortunate for the BG games which have some encounters with really large numbers of enemies. Especially in Siege of Dragonspear.

These will probably be best played on the standard difficulty with party AI on, to keep fiddling with a cursor in pause to a minimum.

I'm so glad this genre is showing up on consoles more and more. Larian kind of opened the floodgates with their incredible work making Original Sin 1 and 2 feel like they may as well have been made for controllers.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I really love that all these long, formerly console/PC RPGs are coming to Switch. They're games I've known about and wanted to play for years, but I'm just daunted by the prospect of spending 50+ hours chained to a PC playing them, and something about having a long game on a handheld that I can just suspend/resume and chip away at whenever I have a spare hour or two is so much more palatable.

It sounds like the porting studio is doing excellent work here, too.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
If Neverwinter Nights on Switch had mod support and actually could support hakpaks, I'd be so happy.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This looks really awesome. As someone who loved Pillars 1, I've always wanted to go back and play the original games that inspired it. Cant wait for this.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks OP for the details, I can't wait to do these games. I missed these games during my childhood and I'm glad to be able to finally do them on morden systems.
I still don't know if I should go for the switch for portability or Xbox for the achievements.

Also there is a video interview with some gameplay footage from PAX available here as well

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Aw man, this sounds awesome. Definitely picking up for my Switch.

You mentioned that this was a "collection". Does that mean they're actually releasing as a collection or were they just bundled together for display purposes at PAX?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
well shoot, am I going to have to buy these games for a third time? Those screens and impressions really make me think this will be a well done port.

I am not sure I'd want to deal with some of IWD battles with this set up but I'd try. BG 1&2 can get overwhelming too later on but I think they'd be more manageable.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I really hope these do decently. We had a bit of a CRPG renaissance over the past few years, but I don't remember hearing that any console releases lit the charts on fire.

Was there any word on how the Original Sin or Pillars ports did on console?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
You mentioned that this was a "collection". Does that mean they're actually releasing as a collection or were they just bundled together for display purposes at PAX?

We don't know the release/bundle plans yet.

Was there any word on how the Original Sin or Pillars ports did on console?

Representatives from both companies have said the consoles ports did well (Axe of the Blood God podcast).

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
We don't know the release/bundle plans yet.

Representatives from both companies have said the consoles ports did well (Axe of the Blood God podcast).
Thanks! And thanks a ton for your impressions. I've been scouring the internet looking for some but it seems like it got a bit glossed over by the gaming media, so it was nice to get some in depth thoughts.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
  • Implementing a browser for player-made modules in Neverwinter Nights (PC) is not off the table for the console version. Even being able to define rendering options (new renderer is coming for the PC version) on a per console basis is a *potential* option. So something where a fan campaign can define higher quality shadows on PS4 but not Switch to save performance..
How would player module could work, since some player modules needed to download some additionnal files.

Also, too bad i lost my own old module, it would be nice to run it again.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
How would player module could work, since some player modules needed to download some additionnal files.

Also, too bad i lost my own old module, it would be nice to run it again.

I'm not sure. If it does end up happening I wouldn't be surprised if all modules were limited to content in the base package, or if additional assets had to go through a vetting process beforehand.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
So what your telling me is I may be able to play Dreamcatcher and Demon mods on console? Well, I'm interested...

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can I still use cheat codes though? Can't waynto but them all again. Best D&D games!

Anyways, why doesn't Beamdog keep making new Baldur's (or Icewind etc) games? Give me new stuff!

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Something that would be very important for me but I believe it can't be done, would be cross-saving.. At least between Xbox and PC.