• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
6PI7k3n.jpg

Sea of Thieves is unique. If someone would ask me to describe the game in one word, it would be exactly that … Unique.

But why do I think so? Is it the wide sea that not only offers some of the best water rendering ever seen in a videogame but also can be scary at the same time? Is it the timelessly beautiful graphic style? Or is it the way the game integrates sound and music into the game to make it a crucial part of the gameplay? Well, to be honest, it's pretty much a mix of everything. Sea of Thieves begins to shine just in the moment you enter the world. With its unique cartoon-is art style, it's pretty much a timeless game that should look just as good in 10 years as it does today.

bBFHmvS.jpg

Let's get a few technical basics out of there way first. The game offers pretty much everything you would expect here from a modern AAA title. Sea of Thieves runs on Unreal Engine 4. On Xbox One S, the game renders at a native 1080p resolution. On Xbox One X, the game performs at a native 4K resolution and most of the effects/shadow resolutions are set equivalent to the PC Ultra settings. HDR is completely supported and the game makes excessive use of playing with colors and light. In addition the game supports the 3D audio format Dolby Atmos.

The PC version is very scaleable and should pretty much run on a toaster with its lowest settings available. At the same time and with the right hardware you can obviously also play the game at a smooth and crisp 4K resolution and 60 frames-per-second. Ultra-Wide is also supported. This PC requirements table should give you an idea about the scalability of the game.

H3siM8V.jpg

As the sea obviously plays a huge role in Sea of Thieves, the water rendering needed to be on point. I think it's safe to say that they completely nailed that part. The way the water works together with the ship is just amazing. The physics of the waves look incredible. The moment you are on the sea and see your first setting of the sun, it's a breathtaking moment. The reflection on the water surface, the ambient lighting changes, the relaxing atmosphere. All the small details lead to an impressive overall image. It may sounds like a dumb statement, but at times the water rendering in combination with the light creates scenarios that look better than I've ever seen them in real-life. It's interesting that other Microsoft games make use of the water rendering developed by Rare - Forza Horizon 3 was the first one to do so and I'm sure more will follow. It's interesting to note that even Rares last title - Kinect Sports Rivals - had amazing water rendering. It's safe to say the water rendering in Sea of Thieves is an ongoing development of that.

2532623-5658883528-KSRwa.gif

giphy2.gif

Of course the game has a fully dynamic real-time day-and-night cycle. There is a real time system in the game that makes the sea and lighting look different each time you take a look through your spyglass.

But it's not only the water that's super impressive. Another huge role are the fully procedural and volumetric generated clouds. The sky never looks the same and you can almost feel the clouds as they are a real rendering within the world. They play with light and shadow. They move. They can be thick. They can be thin. At night, the stars shine bright and auroral lights can be seen.

sMIHq9W.gif

Gf0YDUV.jpg

In addition storms play a big role in Sea of Thieves. It is raining. Your ship fills with water. Lightnings can hit your ship. It's pure chaos.

jnCKhGU.jpg

giphy.gif

The islands offer great atmosphere. The vegetation is completely physical and can be moved by the players and wind alike. Islands offer caves, waterfalls, wildlife animals, birds, fireflies, fish, mural arts and many more landmarks to make each island feel unique.

d6dvXmc.jpg

giphy.gif

All of the items and objects in the game have a guideline to make everything look pirate. From used swords to old wood, from ancient chests to broken shovels. Skins for weapons and items don't look separated like they often do in other games - it feels like they are all carefully crafted with the pirate theme in mind. Everything leads to a harmonic overall experience.

For the most of of time, Sea of Thieves completely renounces a HUD. There are no markers in the world where to go. There are no arrows that leads you to the next treasure. Rare tried to make everything in the game itself. This leads to an immersive experience that doesn't get interrupted by huge fonts or numbers blocking your screen view.

Last but not least, this game is integrating its sound effects and music as a real gameplay element. Not only you can play music with your crew together, different sound effects also give you clues about the world and other gameplay moments.

Xz6s9MO.jpg

About one year ago I got my hands on the game for the very first time. Since that day I always knew Sea of Thieves will be something very special. It may sound like a completely trivia thing to say - but that feeling you generate when playing music instruments with your crew together, looking down on the horizon and seeing the sun going down while soft waves clash onto your ship is an experience I haven't had in 20 years of videogame history.

giphy.gif

I can't wait for launch and hope that as many people as possible will have a chance to experience the game. Completely detached from gameplay opinions, I hope people can take a moment to simply enjoy the beautiful style and world this game has to offer. If Sea of Thieves teaches me one thing, it's that the magic only Rare can create is still there. People come and go. That's pretty much the case for every corporation. But the magic stayed. And Sea of Thieves proves just that.

Last edited:

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Nice write up.
I love the look of the game, especially the lighting. I think I'll try it when it hits Game Pass.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Glad we can appreciate the island design a bit more considering those aren't procedurally generated like the clouds

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Several times during the stress test last weekend I'd stop and just stare at the waves, or find where the sun was setting or rising and really marvel at everything that was going on.

It's been a LONG time since I've just sat and stared at environments, but even more so when you say it in chat and everybody else is just as dumbfounded as you are about it. Was playing on an X w/ 1080p and it looked incredible.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most impressive things about the games is the Audio. I feel like they watched Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World over and over. The audio engineers are going to be up for some awards I suspect.

Last edited:

GreedyG

Dec 13, 2017
I had a decent amount of fun with the beta, and I think Rare have a sleeper-hit on their hands which will really blossom once a few months worth of content updates have been added. I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment that this is a 'classic' Rare game that I've seen around the internet, to me those were all about the characters, the whimsy and the dialogue whereas the approach they have taken here is very deliberate - the focus is on the adventures you have with others, in this world.

It looks bloody gorgeous though.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Yeah I can take part in another SoT thread why not lol. Terrific write up!

I love the simple and clean art design but the visuals are still full with a ton of details, if that makes any sense? The ocean has to be the best rendered water I've ever seen in a title no matter the time of day.

I just wish I took more snaps over the weekend as I was awestruck a lot of times. Like running off an island carrying a chest and seeing your ship anchored with the sun setting behind it. Or that our ship visually carried the scars of battle with a hole or 2 in the hull and in the Captain's Cabin over the hours we played, where we never sunk and decimated other ships.

...man, I'm too hyped for another stress test and the release is only 4 weeks away!

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
I'm lucky enough to have a super ultra wide monitor and Sea of Thieves looks incredible on it. I'm in awe of how the water is rendered and animated, and found myself routinely staring at a sunset/sunrise on the horizon for much longer than I should.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
One of the most impressive thing about the game is the Audio. I feel like they watched Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World over and over. The audio engineers are going to be up for some awards I suspect.

For sure. Playing with headphones and having Atmos enabled and hearing a cannon fire from an outpost in the distance and knowing EXACTLY where it came from and about how far out is super satisfying.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the game that pushed me to Team Xbox over Team PS4 for my token non-Nintendo console this generation. Can't wait to plunder the seas, glad to have Rare back!

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
For the most of of time, Sea of Thieves completely renounces a HUD. There are no markers in the world where to go. There are no arrows that leads you to the next treasure. Rare tried to make everything in the game itself. This leads to an immersive experience that doesn't get interrupted by huge fonts or numbers blocking your screen view.

Sounds very much like what Rare did with their Donkey Kong Country games...

Oct 25, 2017
I want there to be events where compasses stop working and your ship doesn't appear on the map table, leaving you to navigate using the position of the sun during the day and the north star at night.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
My prejudice towards "cartoony" graphics had kept me away from Sea of Thieves. Since playing the Alpha, I feel that it will be one of the most fun and beautiful games in recent times. It ran like butter on my launch, fat Xbox One.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
MS is killing it with graphics recently with Cuphead and Sea of Thieves.

Cuphead, for me, still has the title of best graphics ever. But Sea of Thieves artsyle is beautiful.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do I have to pay to enjoy Dolby Atmos on my One PC? Recall Reading about a monthly fee.

Also, which headhphones are great for this?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well I'm definitely sold on the environmental graphics & ocean in this game, 100%

(Although I hate the character/facial art style they went with.)

But what do you actually DO in this game? Is there a single-player campaign to play through?

Also is there any way/mode to absolutely prevent getting randomly PKed? I keep getting run-around answers when I ask this question. Most people seem to reply something along the lines of -- well if you have a single-person ship, you're much faster and shouldn't get killed that much by players in bigger ships, because you can outrun them.

But that's not the point -- I don't want any engagement with other players trying to PVP me in the first place.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Well I'm definitely sold on the environmental graphics & ocean in this game, 100%

But what do you actually DO in this game? Is there a single-player campaign to play through?

Also is there any way/mode to absolutely prevent getting randomly PKed? I keep getting run-around answers when I ask this question. Most people seem to reply something along the lines of -- well if you have a single-person ship, you're much faster and shouldn't get killed that much by players in bigger ships, because you can outrun them.

But that's not the point -- I don't want any engagement with other players trying to PVP me in the first place.

It's basically a giant pirate sandbox with the objective being to be, well a pirate legend.

As i understand it the basic gist is that there are 3 factions you can get voyages and quests from with each revolving around different aims and objectives. From hunting treasure to securing live stock and goods to transport to outposts if you want to be a merchant, or take up bounty hunting to hunt down pirates. The end goal to be a pirate legend opens up more opportunities and activities. Check out the previews thread for a much better idea than I can give and also Rare seem to have kept a lot of content and ideas close to the chest that we still don't know of yet to preserve the mystery.

There's no mode or way of not being in the world with other players, that goes against the whole point and design of the game. If you don't want to engage with other players or them with you then simply put this isn't the game for you.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

The possibility of being attacked by enemy players is a core aspect of the game. So, no. Maybe this game is not for you.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The real beauty of Sea of Thieves are the memories that you are going to have with your friends

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great thread. I remember a time where this game was mocked for its graphics. They never changed, yet now they are unanimously loved. :D

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great OP! It really is one of the most visually stunning games ever. I really hope it gets high engagement from gamers, the game deserves to succeed!

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So glad to see this game turning out as well as it is.

The original trailer sold me on this.. glad it held up to the original trailer!