• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

"No man is a failure who has friends", a great piece of wisdom for this uplifting movie.

Will following his heart without fear, his friend finding that he has left to better things, and Robin with his sarcastic "he stole my line...."

Toy Story 3. I can never not cry watching this.

I watched this right as I was going away to college for the first time. Whew.

Fantastic ending to the movie and the trilogy.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

OP
OP
LordDraven

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
The ending of The Mist. Oof.

iu
Good one!

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I first saw this when I was 10 and I cried.

23 years later it still makes me weep.

Ok...this may be a hot take...but I think this scene is over-sold. It's a great scene, don't get me wrong, but I think it goes a little over the top. I'm not sure how it played out in real life, but I'm pretty sure I read that his escape didn't happen anything like in the movie. In my opinion, when they hand him the ring, and he shakes Stern's hand and they embrace, that's the emotional punch right there. Everything else after that, the bit about selling the car, the pen, yes it's all very moving, but it feels almost melodramatic at that point. Stern and Schindler embrace, maybe the other survivors come in as well, and the weight of the movie comes crashing down around you just the same. The next shot is the same as before, Schinlder in the car as they pull away. Literally just cut out like 20 seconds of a 3 hour movie, that's the only change I would make.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
Dark Knight rises I cry like a motherfucker because of Alfred.

Also upgrade has a fantastic ending

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

There's something in the fact we can only see Sully's reaction and hear Boo, that cements this ending as my all time favorite.

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
Ang Lee is the master of great endings. Just a real talent for bringing everything together in the most profound ways. The Ice Storm ending? Come on. Incredible.

Anyway, I say all that, but my fav ending of all time is from In the Mood for Love. I've never been the same since seeing those last couple minutes.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
"The One" with Jet Li, where his evil twin from another dimension gets sent to a prison dimension:

Seriously... Jet Li beating the crap out of people with Papa Roach's Last Resort playing in the background is absolute peak early 2000s action cinema.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Lost in translation and Brazil both mentioned, nice

Magnolia

Melora Walter's smile breaking that final fourth wall broke me in the best way.

Blade Runner 2049

The way "Tears in Rain" comes in the form of "All My Best Memories Were Hers"... goosebumps

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

There's something in the fact we can only see Sully's reaction and hear Boo, that cements this ending as my all time favorite.

Came to post this and glad to see I was beaten. Out of all the Pixar movies, this has to be their best final scene. It's perfection.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of phenomenal endings, but I think this one from The Truman Show is sooooo fab:

The wonderful imagery, Phillip Glass's beautiful score, the surprisingly tender and warm performance from Ed Harris, plus the reappearance of Truman's catchphrase. So, so good.

The Conformist also has an enchanting final scene that encapsulates the entire film perfectly.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ghost Dog. Hits me hard every time. Sucks seeing him die for no good reason in front of his friends.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
All my favourites have already been posted so the rather cathartic ending of Cruel Intentions is going to be my contribution.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

Really liked The Source Code's ending. Doesn't make sense, but makes me feel good, you know?

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
So many possible answers and this thread has delivered some good ones already. I must say I am very impressed with the OP's pick of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. That is a movie I clearly haven't seen in way too long because I was initially like "Really?" but that was surprisingly powerful and moving. Big thumbs up as well to the mentions of Gattaca and Burn After Reading.

My picks of the moment:

Synechdoche, New York (2008) builds to an emotional crescendo that few things can match.

Cold Pursuit (2019) has a perfect ending moment, though it doesn't really work all that well with no context. I highly recommend you watch the film but here is the scene for those who want it:

Some other potential answers that I'm not going to look up clips for:
  • The Seventh Victim (1947) and its incredibly downbeat ending where Jacqueline, after being found and 'saved' from the Satanists, goes back to her apartment and hangs herself.
  • Steven Universe: The Movie (2019) ends with a beautiful song that itself ends with a pitch perfect final moment.
  • The Lost Boys (1987) and its great final bit.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The Rules of Attraction gets the best/worst ending for being completely infuriating

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Some of my favorites have already been mentioned.

I distinctly remember feeling overwhelmed with emotion at the end of La Vie en Rose. Very, very few movies have ever made me feel the same.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I mean no mention of Casablanca?

I also love When Harry Met Sally.