• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I know I know the generation is still going but I figured this could be a fun thread.

So jump scares: we love them and hate them at the same time. What was your in your opinion the best / most effective "I need new underwear"'moment of this generation so far?

For me it is a no contest and it goes to Batman Arkham Night.

What makes this moment so effective is that it will work on every single play through because you cannot prepare for it and it will always surprise you. They really nailed this one and I still remember my heart beat after it happened. It even beat my previous best moment from Eternal Darkness (screaming woman in bathtub scene)

What was yours?

Doomg0d

Mar 26, 2019
The screaming corpses in the irythill dungeon always make me shit my pants and I hate them lol

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
In Fallout 4 when you didn't notice an exploding suicidal mutant. Actually that's the worst lol. Suprise game over.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
In Fallout 4 when you didn't notice an exploding suicidal mutant. Actually that's the worst lol. Suprise game over.
Speaking of Fallout 4, the sidequest where you have to go into a small house where a Deathclaw jumps at you at the end of the mission literally made me jump. Not the scariest one (the Prey one probably takes the cake), but damn, it scared me.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Until Dawn has, I say, a lot of jumpscares. Not lot, but just good enough to drop my heart out.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I actually yelped out loud when Lisa grabbed me in PT... I very rarely audibly react to scares.

The most at unease I've been this generation was the Resident Evil 7 Kitchen demo for PSVR and the first couple of hours of that game in VR.

Tuftecake

Mar 26, 2018
I'll be honest, as someone who doesn't really like jumpscares? Fuck Man-Bat, all FOUR times it happens (two to four depending on if you're lucky and also stopped playing shortly after his side quest) it was super annoying to me. However, in the same exact game, right at the end of the main story? No spoilers, but that entire section felt earned, the noises were precision timed and I was scared shitless. That's how it's done right in my book.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I know I know the generation is still going but I figured this could be a fun thread.

So jump scares: we love them and hate them at the same time. What was your in your opinion the best / most effective "I need new underwear"'moment of this generation so far?

What makes this moment so effective is that it will work on every single play through because you cannot prepare for it and it will always surprise you. They really nailed this one and I still remember my heart beat after it happened. It even beat my previous best moment from Eternal Darkness (screaming woman in bathtub scene)

What was yours?

And they made me think my console died in Asylum haha, that was one hell of a jump scare.

Until Dawn has, I say, a lot of jumpscares. Not lot, but just good enough to drop my heart out.

In a lot of games jump scares are cheap and feel forced but they belong in a game based on a cheesy teen horror movie.

leesmapman

Oct 27, 2017
N52.160114 E4.497010
Bloodstained_demon_44.png

The train in Bloodstained...

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Another good one from Arkham Knight is when you're controlling Gordon in first person.

tumblr_nhtwesWbAM1r1k6vvo2_500.gif

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What was yours?

Man Bat from Arkham Knight if you played with earphones. The fuckers made a masterpiece jump scare lol
Yeah that's the one I was going to post when I clicked the thread. I fucking screamed, nearly had a heart attack. At first I was pretty pissed, and trembling, but then I realized I was playing during the night of Halloween, so I told myself that I got the best/worst scare I could hope for.
Goddamit I play the Arkham games multiple times but I dread playing Arkhan Knight again because of this ><