• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Albatross

Nov 11, 2017
VR enhances jumpscares by 10x, so Resident Evil 7 has a lot of good moments, but one in particular with Marguerite I think it's the only jumpscare ever to make me legit scream, because I totally wasn't expecting it.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best jumpscared this gen?

Me: its definitely Mr. X first appearance in Resident Evil 2 Remake.

Microsoft: Hold my L.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manbat in Arkham Knight is integrated really smoothly into the level design, that's what makes that one particularly great.

Lisa from PT takes the cake though but mostly due to how well designed the environment and ambience is in that game. She's scary not just for her design and the scary sound effect but because of the tension leading up to those moments.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Lisa from PT or whatever the Alien in Alien Isolation did ars good ones, but
Jack hammering through the wall

In Vr almost gave me a heart attack. For real.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
MeagerCreepyCollardlizard-size_restricted.gif

It's Lisa.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Paranormal activity had one hell of a good one in VR. Halfway into the game you get a flashlight that you can see message on wall. And there are one message were it's wrote, "She clearly see you" or something like that.... and if you see the message it trigger a event that you get attack when you turn the corner. I remember screaming and my girlfriend too (she was looking at the tv)

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Lisa spooked me but I was kind of expecting it. Man Bat, on the other hand, came out of nowhere and I saw my life flash before my eyes.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild how many jumpscares are in Arkham Knight, and they're more intense than most jumpscares in actual horror games! Not to mention the shit with Joker suddenly appearing all over the place.

I was terrified throughout that game, when you're suppose to feel like a badass because you're the goddamn Batman. Just what was Rocksteady's deal with that, did they really wanna make a horror game but they had to make another Batman instead?

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I had friends over, about nine people, and I suggested they try P.T.

I asked one of my friends who was already familiar with it to play it while I sat in the back of the room because I wanted to have the best seat in the house for their reactions. It was totally worth it, everyone, including the guy with the controller jumped back and starting laughing really hard after. Definitely the best jump scare.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There's a house in Red Dead Redemption 2, in the wilderness, that looks like any other house where you'd fine collectibles..

Except this one has a bear inside of it

giphy.gif

I literally threw my controller down

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jack in RE7 and Mr. X in RE2 hammering through a wall made me scream (and luckily I have both of these moments clipped on Twitch lol)

but...I think the best jumpscare of the gen is this one from P.T, from inside the menu. Shook me to the core (warning headphone users)

Lazymanschair

Jan 27, 2018
Not necessarily a jump scare, rather a series of jump scares built into the game mechanic.

Alien Isolation; especially the hospital section, just a prolonged terrifying game of hide and seek, never been more stressed playing a videogame. Particularly cool when the xenomorph hears you hiding in the lockers.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The Nightmare in Prey terrified me, but I think the best jumpscare isn't even Mr. X or Lisa.

It's Jack Baker in RE7, in my opinion, because his jumpscare is entirely optional. The first time I played RE7, I was sneaky enough to get by him without any issues. On my second playthrough, however, he was chasing me and I was booking it for a door, knowing I was safe because he had to chase me through a long hallway and I could outrun him. All of a sudden, the wall in front of me smashes open with Jack and his shovel and I gasped, jumped so hard my knees smacked the bottom of my desk, and had to take a full three or four seconds to regain my finger placement on the keyboard and grab my mouse that had been slapped to the side.

Turns out if you're stealthy enough to hide from him, it's all good. Get chased through a certain part of the house, though, and surprise motherfucker. XD

Messed me up real good. Contextual jumpscares depending on how you approach a situation is a fantastic way to get people who think they have the game down.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Prey is really effective and clever but Lisa was flat out scarier

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
As far as spooks go, is RE7 or RE2 Remake better? Thinking about picking one up for spooky season playing.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as spooks go, is RE7 or RE2 Remake better? Thinking about picking one up for spooky season playing.
RE2 is creating a lot of organic spooks and tension with Mr. X and the lickers but RE7 has more scripted spooks and classic fpp horror sections where you sneak around with no weapons, especially at the first half of the game...

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PT by a goddamn country mile. Hit my head against the wall and cause us all to yell.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
VR enhances jumpscares by 10x, so Resident Evil 7 has a lot of good moments, but one in particular with Marguerite I think it's the only jumpscare ever to make me legit scream, because I totally wasn't expecting it.

My brother who is a frequenter of horror movies and games played a VR horror game (can't remember the name) that actually made his legs give out and him. Jump scare in it made him fall over and he couldn't stand back up because his legs were shaking so bad.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Yeah, it's P.T. Funny how it's barely a full level and it managed to be a better horror experience than anything this gen.