• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't pretend this holiest of holy series hasn't been up to the same tricks as everyone else in this industry for a lonnnnnng time now. Persona has never been above stuff like this. It's been better than most and fans can and should expect better, but you can't die on this hill and come back and be like "Ann's outfit is totally ok in the context of her character" or "It's totally not problematic that Tae is date-able when the MC is underage" because that doesn't square. I love this series a lot, but I recognize that sometimes the shit that comes out with it's name attached to it will make me uncomfortable. I also recognize that the people who DO like it totally aren't fucking monsters.

There's absolutely a larger conversation to be had about the fetishizing of teens in JP culture, but don't sit here and talk about how your OTHER fictional underage waifu is better and oh btw those of you who like this figure are totally pedos in training.

This too. Persona has had fanservice since number 3. I mean the girl characters swimsuits were free the first week Dancing all Night came out.

I will say the pose is definitely out of character though which probably makes this instance stick out worse.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't pretend this holiest of holy series hasn't been up to the same tricks as everyone else in this industry for a lonnnnnng time now. Persona has never been above stuff like this. It's been better than most and fans can and should expect better, but you can't die on this hill and come back and be like "Ann's outfit is totally ok in the context of her character" or "It's totally not problematic that Tae is date-able when the MC is underage" because that doesn't square. I love this series a lot, but I recognize that sometimes the shit that comes out with it's name attached to it will make me uncomfortable. I also recognize that the people who DO like it totally aren't fucking monsters.

There's absolutely a larger conversation to be had about the fetishizing of teens in JP culture, but don't sit here and talk about how your OTHER fictional underage waifu is better and oh btw those of you who like this figure are totally pedos in training.

Persona has always been a problematic fave (tm).

Persona isn't good for being right, it's good for talking about things that most games don't. The bad shit like this is worth putting up with, but less and less with each installment.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Has there been a thread where female characters, if depicted in a suggestive manner, dont get critizised down for all the manners in which they are crap, unrealistic or offensive to some? It's to the point where the derail is expected and makes me think "oh man, he should have just not posted that here" when sensual stuff is posted. Within gaming this kind if stuff has been a thing forever, but there's a vocal community at ERA pretty upset whenever this stuff is posted. Legimately asking, is there a place for discussing this content at ERA?

The figurine is super pretty and attractive. I like anything with bikes.
I'm not calling for any kind of censorship here, but that quote is precisely the point. For people to simply acknowledge this as an issue and treat is as such, is progress.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is a 17 year old in what appears to basically be a fetish suit (seriously look at those boots, the way it clings to her ass, and the pseudo-corset) posing in a sexually provocative manner. Its....well it sure is something
Besides the pose, that's how she is in the game. Yet, oddly enough, I think barely anyone brought it up when P5 was released. So is it the figure or the game that's the problem? What age does this not become problematic? 18?

Last edited:

Steiner

Oct 29, 2017
Persona has always been a problematic fave (tm).

Persona isn't good for being right, it's good for talking about things that most games don't. The bad shit like this is worth putting up with, but less and less with each installment.

If you played P4, you see that Atlus took a big step to the right direction with P5.
It's not perfect but miles better what P4 has done in that regard.

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not calling for any kind of censorship here, but that quote is precisely the point. For people to simply acknowledge this as an issue and treat is as such, is progress.
It is why I am legitimately asking the question. Would be nice to get a mod to make a statement on it. I dont think it will be missed if imagery of sensualized stuff is avoided, I would just like to prevent seeing a constant backlash so the discussions about gaming can continue. Im sure theres plenty of other places to share this kind of stuff for the people that cant move on from it.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I'm far from being the target audience for sexy anime figures but watching people get so deeply butthurt over existence of something this inane almost makes me want to start defending them.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
It is why I am legitimately asking the question. Would be nice to get a mod to make a statement on it. I dont think it will be missed if imagery of sensualized stuff is avoided, I would just like to prevent seeing a constant backlash so the discussions about gaming can continue. Im sure theres plenty of other places to share this kind of stuff for the people that cant move on from it.

I fail to see how discussion on how over the top a figure is stymies discussions about gaming

Also it's hilarious that in order to not compromise their ass out pose they had to stick transparent plastic on the feet because they wouldn't reach the ground

Calde

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You know you've screwed up when the Fate franchise can manage a better motorcycle statue:

dc1cde262be3b38978eb99f84f8117b1.jpg

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Also it's hilarious that in order to not compromise their ass out pose they had to stick transparent plastic on the feet because they wouldn't reach the ground

What's actually hilarious is people who aren't used to JP-figures, picking out all these little things and pretending they know any better.

Almost all figures have some connection to their display base, metal pegs, plastic, intentionally flattened surfaces... It's simple physics really. Certain poses require an anchor point else they would topple.

I own the motorcycle figure above from Fate/Zero. There are metal pegs in the tires and the foot opposite the viewer. It is possible the Makoto figure will come with a display base which also disguises the support pegs.

Edit: In the second picture even, you can see another P5 figure in the BG with a similar lump of plastic which conforms to the heel. Likely a metal rod is hidden.

Last edited:

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
What's actually hilarious is people who aren't used to JP-figures, picking out all these little things and pretending they know any better.

Almost all figures have some connection to their display base, metal pegs, plastic, intentionally flattened surfaces... It's simple physics really. Certain poses require an anchor point else they would topple.

I own the motorcycle figure above from Fate/Zero. There are metal pegs in the tires and the foot opposite the viewer. It is possible the Makoto figure will come with a display base which also disguises the support pegs.

My lack of knowledge about Japanese figures has been exposed for mocking a pose where the figure is being suspended in air by their elbow. I am embarrassed

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The pose doesn't suit the character, and the proportions are off. It's a shame, because they seem to have spent quite a bit of time with modelling the bike.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: In the second picture even, you can see another P5 figure in the BG with a similar lump of plastic which conforms to the heel. Likely a metal rod is hidden.

If you can find a picture of that arsene (?) figure (I couldnt) I'd e happy to compare and contrast why that one is probably less ridiculous than this one.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really nice fig but I can only assume it would cost ¥40,000. Tell me about that Takemi in the background though....

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
I don't think a safe space for misogynistic art is conducive to inclusive forum discussion or societal change, tbh.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I want to admire the modeling work on display, but instead I'm distracted by the fact that she is in an out-of-character pose that is literally presenting her butt to the viewer. That's not cool, man.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a safe space for misogynistic art is conducive to inclusive forum discussion or societal change, tbh.

And that's not what they're asking for. You're really throwing out such a broadly reductive statement like that?

Figure is perhaps sexist, but misogynistic...that's a stretch unless there's some interview I missed with the artist.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me, was there any explanation as why Makoto and Futaba get vehicle personas? Like was there an in game logic to that?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Or we just don't care. I know, it's so weird being comfortable with yourself to the point where you can openly display the things you like.

Family, friends, neighbors, etc have all seen my colllection. And guess what? The worst I've gotten is 'well, whatever makes you happy' and it's never brought up again. My neighbor's seven year old kid loves them, she thinks they're 'real pretty'. My wife's boss thinks they're works of art.

Stereotypes are fun, I suppose.

You seem awfully defensive about something you claim not to care about. At no point did I insult you or anyone else who has figurines like these.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
What exactly is misogynistic here, the pose in the statue? I dont consider this to be misogynistic considering the character it's based off of, if that's what you're referring to.
But a closed discussion where you (for example) don't want to hear the voices of others, many of them women, is silencing. Silencing women is misogynistic.

I mean it could be said such a disregard for objectification and sexualisation of women shows a misogynistic lack of respect, but I'm just explaining my reasoning for using that word, not trying to fan any flames.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Why not just have her on her back with her knees behind her head? If you're gonna have an embarrassing pose like this at least go all the way.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Makoto is indeed the best and I would buy a figure... but why did it have to be a "hi here's my butt" pose -_-

Nov 12, 2017
But a closed discussion where you (for example) don't want to hear the voices of others, many of them women, is silencing. Silencing women is misogynistic.

I mean it could be said such a disregard for objectification and sexualisation of women shows a misogynistic lack of respect, but I'm just explaining my reasoning for using that word, not trying to fan any flames.
What are your thoughts on the many western figures of superheroes? They both show off men and women's figure in exquisite detail. The difference is with Japanese is that the girls are often young compared to Western made figures.

I'm guessing your main point is the pose itself and not the character design?

Status
Not open for further replies.