• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
99% sure that is US only. By now Mario Kart should atleast be number 2 worldwide above Zelda, depending on how well SMO sold..

Edit: Clarified what i meant

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Given the fact that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is above Zelda in a lot of countries outside of the US (Japan, UK...), I am going to make the conclusion that this is only a US chart. It also lines up with DBX2 and FIFA's absences.

Deku

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, This is WW LTD w/ Digital?

well, eff, we have vague ranges for numbers then right?

EDIT: Ultra Street Fighter II sold 500k by the End of September

If Skyrim is above it right now in December. Skyrim has likely easily cleared 500k

Dragon Ball Xenoverse sold 400k WW by November

If Dragonball Ball has not even made the list, All the games are at least above 400k, but likely more.

Bodes decently for Xeno2 as well.
Let me know if my estimates are wrong anywhere.

edit:
Bomberman R crossed 500k by April. That was a long time ago, so it's likely done a bit more since then.
Mario + Rabbids Surpassing ARMS is no surprise. That game is likely closer to 2m than 1m.
ARMS has passed up 1-2 Switch. This may be old news...
So, as far as we can tell:
  1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild - >4.7m (Sept)
  2. Super Mario Odyssey - >2m (Oct)
  3. Mario Kart 8 DX - >4.2m (Sept)
  4. Splatoon 2 - >3.61m (Sept)
  5. Mario + Rabbids
  6. Arms - >1.35m (Sept)
  7. 1, 2 Switch - >1.37m (Sept)
  8. Minecraft
  9. Stardew Valley
  10. Snipperclips - >350k (Apr)
  11. Sonic Mania
  12. Pokken DX
  13. Super Bomberman R - >500k (Apr)
  14. Skyrim
  15. Ultra Street Fighter II - >500k (Sept)
  16. Binding of Isaac Afterlife +
  17. Xenoblade 2
  18. Puyo Tetris
  19. Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
  20. Overcooked Special Edition
  21. Dragonball Xenoverse 2 - >400k (Sept)
Is there anything else?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of Nintendo games. Hopefully 3rd party games are meeting expectations. Indies seem to do well though.

Not to be that guy but indies are third party :p They seem to understand the audience more than big publishers do.

Also I'd love more games like Puyo Puyo Tetris and Bomberman, and am happy to see they are some of the best selling physical third party games.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Given the fact that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is above Zelda in a lot of countries outside of the US (Japan, UK...), I am going to make the conclusion that this is only a US chart. It also lines up with DBX2 and FIFA's absences.
That would make NBA's absence conspicuous, especially since Take Two were happy with it, yet apparently it can hardly manage decent sales in its main market.

Also, others have said that DBXV2 was popular in US.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
  5. Mario + Rabbids
  6. Arms - >1.35m (Sept)
  8. Minecraft
  9. Stardew Valley
  10. Snipperclips
  11. Sonic Mania
  12. Pokken DX
  14. Skyrim
  17. Xenoblade 2
  18. Puyo Tetris
Is there anything else?

Snipperclips was over 350 in april.
very old, but still.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dominated by Nintendo as always. Doesn't bode well for future 3rd party support.

Nintendo dominated the first year of software sales on the DS, in Japan accounting for 70-80% of all software sold. I seem to recall that system did ok for third party support. It's a deliberate strategy - said Iwata once upon a time:

As I explained this before, Nintendo believes that hardware has to launch with attractive first party titles one after another. These first party titles' mission is to be attractive enough for potential purchasers that they'll want to buy the hardware to play the software. This in turn sets the course for hardware to steadily penetrate the market. Because of this belief, we try to launch quality titles one after another during the first two years of a launch of new hardware. As a result, the ratio of first party sales in the market tend to increase... After the hardware realizes a certain level of its installed base, third party software publishers become willing to launch a variety of different titles.

Nintendojitsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Dominated by Nintendo as always. Doesn't bode well for future 3rd party support.
e9d.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
  5. Mario + Rabbids
  6. Arms - >1.35m (Sept)
  8. Minecraft
  9. Stardew Valley
  10. Snipperclips
  11. Sonic Mania
  12. Pokken DX
  14. Skyrim(if this is US only then wouldn't it 100k<Skyrim>200k?)
  17. Xenoblade 2
  18. Puyo Tetris
Is there anything else?

I added that Skyrim comment from the NPD thread if it is US only. Then again as someone already said, if it was US only then NBA2k18 would likely be there due to how please Take Two was with Sales...

syth

Oct 25, 2017
Binding of Isaac on that list makes it seem so, as it released March 3rd in the US, but September in PAL?

it's way too high on the list.. and has to be launch hype like bomberman etc. So i'd say it has to be US.

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

How does it line up with XV2 absense? It'd be the opposite.

Dragonball has charted in the Switch top 10 physical in 2 NPDs iirc.

UK isn't a great metric, but on the Switch only charts, it dropped quickly to 15-25 range.

And we know in general DBZ sells a lot in the US.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The list is missing Monster Hunter XX,

I said while giving Capcom a sideways glance.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
That would make NBA's absence conspicuous, especially since Take Two were happy with it, yet apparently it can hardly manage decent sales in its main market.

They've always had separate rankings for the two regions so far, I don't know why they would suddenly display worldwide charts on american accounts. Unless of course we get the same thing tomorrow in EU.

Also Isaac being there more likely means US than worldwide

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

DBXV2 debut on September (NPD) :

1. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle** (#5)
2. Mario Kart 8** (#11)
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild** (#9)
4. Pokken Tournament DX** (#13)
5. Splatoon 2** (#18)
6. ARMS** (non charting since July, it was at #17)
7. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2**
8. FIFA 18**
9. Lego Worlds**
10. Rayman Legends**

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
name 2 games bigger than the top 4.

I do believe Minecraft could get up there but even as much as i have confidence in Skyrim it's not that surprising about where it's at.

The data points that worth focusing on are the placements of 12 switch, doom, street fighter and pokken.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of Rocket League makes me question the list. Seems like it's been the top game since it came out.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
DBXV2 debut on September (NPD) :

1. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle** (#5)
2. Mario Kart 8** (#11)
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild** (#9)
4. Pokken Tournament DX** (#13)
5. Splatoon 2** (#18)
6. ARMS** (non charting since July, it was at #17)
7. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2**
8. FIFA 18**
9. Lego Worlds**
10. Rayman Legends**

And then October

1. Super Mario Odyssey
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Mario Kart 8
  4. Fire Emblem: Warriors
  5. Pokken Tournament DX
  6. Splatoon 2
  7. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  8. FIFA 18
  9. NBA 2K18
  10. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2
Dragon Ball ahead of ARMS

In Japan it's had legs. Maybe it has other places too.
ranking 7th wasn't even bad for a first month so I was confused by your post...

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
How does it line up with XV2 absense? It'd be the opposite.

Dragonball has charted in the Switch top 10 physical in 2 NPDs iirc.

UK isn't a great metric, but on the Switch only charts, it dropped quickly to 15-25 range.

And we know in general DBZ sells a lot in the US.

It did considerably well in Japan, its charting in the US is more in line with the fact that it's outside of the Top20.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It shipped 300k in September and a further 100k in October so it's not overshipped, it's had legs in Japan but hasn't even hit 100k there yet.

Sure, but they shipped 300k as of September 30th, and that went up to 400k by November 8th. It makes sense that sell-through is between 300k to 400k. Adding another month and a half of sales to that, I think sell-through will be around 400k.

In that case, if the ranking is by sales, the appropriate bar to use is >300k not >400k.

Deku

Oct 25, 2017
Snipperclips was over 350 in april.
very old, but still.
Thanks, added.

I added that Skyrim comment from the NPD thread if it is US only. Then again as someone already said, if it was US only then NBA2k18 would likely be there due to how please Take Two was with Sales...
Take Two being happy isn't quite a sales metric unless we know the qualifications that would make them happy. Judging this list (if it is WW), I'd say Skyrim is >200k in the US (small drop in the bucket of 30m total sales, but it's probably within their expectations).

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Alright so look at it.

We know Zelda is definitely over 1.7 Million retail(Mario's NPD numbers for October and November add up to Around that total).
So...
If US only
  1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild-x>1.7 Million
  2. Super Mario Odyssey-x>1.7 Million
  3. Mario Kart 8 DX-Mario Odyssey>x>1.2 million(I'm just taking NPD Numbers we know)
  4. Splatoon 2-x>800k(someone calculated around this total)
  5. Mario + Rabbids ?
  6. Arms-x>300k
  7. 1, 2 Switch. X>150k
  8. Minecraft ?
  9. Stardew Valley ?
  10. Snipperclips. ?
  11. Sonic Mania. ?
  12. Pokken DX. ?
  13. Super Bomberman-x>150k
  14. Skyrim-x>100k
  15. Ultra Street Fighter II ~100k<?
  16. Binding of Isaac Afterlife + ?
  17. Xenoblade 2 ?
  18. Puyo Tetris. ?
  19. Shovel Knight Treasure Trove ?
  20. Overcooked Special Edition. ?
I tried

And What would be acceptable for Take Two to be pleased. The game all platforms sells towards an upwards of 8-10 Million so would 5%-10% suffice? If that would suffice then we would be looking at 400k-1million sales. If 1-4% would suffice Take Two then, then we would be looking at 80k-399k. I mean if we look at it from a perspective of launch sales. I doubt they would suffice with less than 200k. The game outsold Madden in its first month on the market in the US. Since it can be safe to assume that Madden does a million launch month than a few hundred thousand in September, NBA2k18 probably launched closer to 2 Million then 1 Million. I'm thinking it's around 300k in the US to be honest in terms or sales so far. If too high then at least above 100k. Which would confirm all these titles above 100k.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. BOTW is the best selling game of the console and continue to sell really well so I don't think that Mario Kart is really above it. But we'll see in months when they update their sales.

I can bet you anything that Mario Kart is above. It was already catching up (1.38m in favor of Zelda until 30/06, 280k in favor of Zelda until the 30/09) and with the Holiday it is performing a better than Zelda.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It did considerably well in Japan, its charting in the US is more in line with the fact that it's outside of the Top20.
it's leggy in Japan, but we don't know what it opened at.
It's first month in the US could've been a lot higher than what it did in Japan.

And this is without digital.
So honestly we don't really know.

All we have is 400k Shipped for Xenoverse 2 by November.
By that time in Japan Famitsu had it around 50k sold.

I mean...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, if we don't know whether this is US only or global, can't someone with an non-US account check to see if this list is up on there Switch? Or is this list not there in other regions?

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
name 2 games bigger than the top 4.

I do believe Minecraft could get up there but even as much as i have confidence in Skyrim it's not that surprising about where it's at.

The data points that worth focusing on are the placements of 12 switch, doom, street fighter and pokken.
It's just my observation. 3rd Party support and sales aren't looking much diffeeent than previous consoles.

I'm not going to participate in a list war or say which games 'deserve' more sales. That's up to Switch owners to decide.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
No surprise seeing most Nintendo games in there, same for Minecraft/Skyrim/Sonic, but really glad to see some of those in the top 20, like Puyo Puyo Tetris, Overcooked and Shovel Knight, despite releasing way later.
I hope Nintendo does that every year, same for Sony/MS!

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
It's just my observation. 3rd Party support and sales aren't looking much diffeeent than previous consoles.

I'm not going to participate in a list war or say which games 'deserve' more sales. That's up to Switch owners to decide.

Well, yeah. Anyone who thinks Switch is going to be a portable AAA machine is kidding themselves.

You'll get Nintendo games, Nintendo/retro-inspired games, offbeat games, mid-tier games, and occasional ports from friendly publishers.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
But even if it's US only, hasn't Mario Ody shot past Zelda yet? or no.

So maybe the ranking is from a week or two ago.
But then again Xenoblade charted decently...