• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
it's leggy in Japan, but we don't know what it opened at.
It's first month in the US could've been a lot higher than what it did in Japan.

And this is without digital.
So honestly we don't really know.

All we have is 400k Shipped for Xenoverse 2 by November.
By that time in Japan Famitsu had it around 50k sold.

I mean...

I agree with you, it is a more debatable example. The fact that Zelda is above MK8D is more telling. However, I was more looking about comparative positions between DBX2 and the other 3rd party games. For example in Japan, we have DBX2 above USFII and Puyo Puyo. It can been compensated tho so I agree with your point about DBX2 not being such a great example.

Oct 27, 2017
In an EU only list I reckon FIFA will be in the top 20. It outsold Pokken every week except for one on the Switch UK sales chart on chart-track, and it only came out a week after.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Rabbids hasn't released in Japan.

ARMS has an extra 270-300k in Japan so you think it'd rank above M+R if it was WW, unless M+R is really crushing it.

^^oh, so it looks like the Americas?

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The statement you can make about third party is this: the Switch is not going to be the place for massively budgeted GaaS releases, which pretty much accounts for 80% of Western third party publisher releases now.

That's a good thing for me. That Switch top 20 list is much more appealing to my personal tastes.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
So we're back to having nothing then. well eff..

That just raises one question:
If this is the Americas:
If it's not the United States, Mexico, and Brazil, who the eff is obsessing and buying all this Dragon Ball? lol

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
My GOTY, Mario + Rabbids selling well I see. Should be over a million. Might be close to 2 million.

Man, surprise of the year.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade already being on the list despite releasing this month is a nice surprise. And it's well deserved.

Lot of great titles on this list. I actually own 12 of them, which is kind of crazy. :P

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Switch owners have good taste ;)
  1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8 DX
  4. Splatoon 2 (yay!)
  5. Mario + Rabbids
  6. Arms
  7. 1, 2 Switch
  8. Minecraft
  9. Stardew Valley
  10. Snipperclips
  11. Sonic Mania
  12. Pokken DX
  13. Super Bomberman
  14. Skyrim
  15. Ultra Street Fighter II
  16. Binding of Isaac Afterlife +
  17. Xenoblade 2 (yes!)
  18. Puyo Tetris
  19. Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
  20. Overcooked Special Edition.
Edit: I got ya fams. Heres a list for mobile users.

Where is Steamworld Dig 2 tho :o?
I love this damn console so much. It's incredible to see a list of games like this that almost perfectly aligns with my tastes. Pretty much never happens these days.

Also, BUY STEAMWORLD DIG 2

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Warriors is the only first-party game not on the list. Sad! Considering that the special edition is still in stock on Amazon, I'm not surprised that the game bombed hard.
I thought there was something missing. I wonder if this met Nintendo's own internal expectations?

It does seem like it could be either a combination of when it was released to the roster to maybe people just aren't into the whole "Musou" style of game anymore.
Justified. No matter the quality of the game itself, trying to coast by with the most boring character selection ever, clearly with a sequel in mind, it serves them right that a sequel is not such a surefire bet anymore.
I definitely was not enthused by the roster, especially the overabundance on Fates characters. I get why they did that because Fates sold the best, but I think in retrospect even though it sold well it's not exactly remembered fondly by many (especially when it comes to characters and story. Corrin is one of the worst protagonists from Nintendo)

And yeah, Xenoblade on the list is awesome, despite only being on sale for 3 weeks

Last edited:

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Wait this doesn't count Japanese sales right? If so then that would mean ARMS would be higher than Mario and Rabbids because its about 300k in Japan.

But who knows.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at the list I got the impression it was America only. Given what we knoe about Skyrim (a bit over 200k in the US) I can't tell if those Xenoblade 2 numbers are good or not.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope that's in order. USF2 sold upwards of 500k, so that means everything above it sold even more if that is the case. Awesome news for a lot of those games. Nintendo is thriving, Sonic sold well, and the indies have some time to shine. 2017 was one hell of a year.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Justified. No matter the quality of the game itself, trying to coast by with the most boring character selection ever, clearly with a sequel in mind, it serves them right that a sequel is not such a surefire bet anymore.
Yeah... those roster choices were awful.
I only got the game recently because the LE was up for 30£, less than the regular game.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the list I got the impression it was America only. Given what we knoe about Skyrim (a bit over 200k in the US) I can't tell if those Xenoblade 2 numbers are good or not.
That was November though.

Given Xeno charted at all, these rankings are probably quite recent. Has to be within a week or two.
So Skyrim had another half of a month to sell.

Doesn't mean Skyrim took off or anything, so it could be poor for Xeno, but we'll see.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Uh where does that come from? I believe John Harker said it was just over 100k physical for November's NPD tracking period.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So 10 out of twenty are Nintendo games (yes, i counted Mario + Rabbids). Not surprising, it's my understanding that Switch users (or Nintendo fans in general) mainly play Nintendo games.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that Overcooked isn't higher than 20. It seems like it is always in the top 5 when I check.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Given Xeno charted at all, these rankings are probably quite recent. Has to be within a week or two.

Doesn't mean Skyrim took off or anything, so it could be poor for Xeno, but we'll see.

It is not by any means precise and concrete data but Skyrim didn't left the Top30 of Amazon's best sellers since launch,until running out of stock a couple of days ago. That might indicate really solid legs.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
So 10 out of twenty are Nintendo games (yes, i counted Mario + Rabbids). Not surprising, it's my understanding that Switch users (or Nintendo fans in general) mainly play Nintendo games.
There's also no really big third party games yet outside of the half-assed ports of FIFA and USF2, M+R, and Skyrim. The number of indie games there is also telling.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

So 10 out of twenty are third party games (yes, i didn't even count Mario + Rabbids). Not surprising, it's my understanding that Switch users (or Nintendo fans in general) mainly play third party games

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

You can probably count the number of high profile third parties actually released on the system with one hand. Two if you're being generous with "high profile". Think about the top 20 best selling multiplats of the year from NPD's list- how many of them were actually released for the Switch?

Big third party games need to come to the system if you want third party games to sell.

So 10 out of twenty are third party games (yes, i didn't even count Mario + Rabbids). Not surprising, it's my understanding that Switch users (or Nintendo fans in general) mainly play third party games

Hah perfect.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we're back to having nothing then. well eff..

That just raises one question:
If this is the Americas:
If it's not the United States, Mexico, and Brazil, who the eff is obsessing and buying all this Dragon Ball? lol

There's no Brazilian eshop tho, Brazilians use mainly other regions to buy the games on Nintendo consoles.

Source: I'm Brazilian

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did you take offense to what i said?, if you look at the best sellers on the other systems i bet that the majority of the main sellers in the top 20 are third party games.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Did you take offense to what i said?, if you look at the best sellers on the other systems i bet that the majority of the main sellers in the top 20 are third party games.

And again I ask, how many of those games that sell well on other platforms have been released on the Switch? Maybe one or two (FIFA and NBA2k18) and that's it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Of course I am not taking offense, we are here to discuss. However, you did say "mainly" when half of this list is made of 3rd party titles. We agree that 1st party are more important in Nintendo platforms, because Nintendo's output in quantity is unmatched by Sony/MS, without even factoring the high quality of these titles.

When I see this list, I don't see a Nintendo bias, games charting high are high quality or/and profited from the launch period.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, I'm just going off the fact XCX did 200k without digital in it's first NPD in December. Month isn't over and this isn't US only so things are skewed but if Skyrim isn't a good deal over 300k in that list I would consider those XC2 numbers disappointing.

Uh where does that come from? I believe John Harker said it was just over 100k physical for November's NPD tracking period.

Yeah, I went and tracked down the thread and he said a bit over 100k physical. And someone sad Mat floated a 40% digital ratio. So that's where they pulled 200k from. I would say that's probably in the ball park for Nov but it's still unknown. I hate when quick maths get done in NPD threads.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
The Americas, so this includes Mexico, Canada, USA, and South America (I don't know if there is another eshop). Weird that NBA is not there.
Did we have a list before? And another one for Europe for example?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
e9d.jpg
Nintendojitsu
That's not being fair. While this is great news for Nintendo and Sega, outside of them only smaller indies and a single Bethesda game sold over 400k, which can be concerning to some third parties.

EDIT: And a few launch titles, but that says so much.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
My takeaways:

- Surprised by no Rocket League.
- No surprise Minecraft and Stardew are the top digital-only games.
- Sega left sooooo much money on the table not doing a physical for Sonic Mania.
- Xenoblade 2's fans are probably hardcore enough that they'd prefer the physical copy. (EDIT: Unless this really isn't eShop-only rankings. If it isn't then this is a solid show for it.)
- I wish Puyo Puyo Tetris was higher but I'm happy it's on the list.
- RIP Fire Emblem Warriors.

I'm hardcore (or desperate, same thing really) enough that I bought the digital version since the title wasn't going to arrive here in Peru in at least a few more days (and I ended-up buying the Special Edition as well).

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Mario + Rabbids isn't first party. But of that top 20 I own 7, I have all of the top 5, Sonic Mania and Xenoblade 2. Can't fault Nintendo,, they have the best games on that list and most of them are original titles. Mario Kart aside. I can't look at the current Switch library and see how the top 5 wouldn't look like that.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm just going off the fact XCX did 200k without digital in it's first NPD in December. Month isn't over and this isn't US only so things are skewed but if Skyrim isn't a good deal over 300k in that list I would consider those XC2 numbers disappointing.

maybe xeno is just going to be one of those things. Shrug.

but screw all the comments about revamping the battle system or doing turn based like Ocotopath to a get a broader audience though. The base battle system is great. Play FF6 if people want that.
In the end, I place my personal enjoyment above a game sales.

Speaking of Octopath, when they were both announced in January, I thought they would be close in sales, but Octopath might edge it.
Now I think it won't even be close.
edit: The response to Octopath's demo is when things starting turning in my mind. Perfect shadow drop. All it needs is not a horrible release date.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I thought there was something missing. I wonder if this met Nintendo's own internal expectations?

It does seem like it could be either a combination of when it was released to the roster to maybe people just aren't into the whole "Musou" style of game anymore.

I definitely was not enthused by the roster, especially the overabundance on Fates characters. I get why they did that because Fates sold the best, but I think in retrospect even though it sold well it's not exactly remembered fondly by many (especially when it comes to characters and story. Corrin is one of the worst protagonists from Nintendo)

And yeah, Xenoblade on the list is awesome, despite only being on sale for 3 weeks

I get their reasoning as well to a degree, but even with the newer games alone they could have made a much better roster than bringing in all the Fates Royals. Like Felicia with Flame Shuriken, walking tank Effie old man Gunther or the elusive Scarlet. You know, off-beat choices.

I believe Nintendo/Koei underestimated the backlash against the characters. If I remember correctly the most positive response I saw was to the reveals of Lyn and Celica.

Oh and as you say: Xeno 2 deserves all the sales.

Or everyone is waiting for Tharja?

I don't think Tharja alone is that powerful.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
To people saying its dominated by Nintendo, it's more of a testament on how third parties got caught with pants down, not being able to capitalize on the Switch success.
I mean, I myself bought what third party software was available that interested me (XV2, Skyrim, Doom, etc. and tons of indies), but we can't buy what isn't there.

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hardcore (or desperate, same thing really) enough that I bought the digital version since the title wasn't going to arrive here in Peru in at least a few more days (and I ended-up buying the Special Edition as well).
Really? I got the Special Edition the same day it came out (from a friend who import games, but that usually takes longer). Funny enough I was very busy so I only started playing yesterday.