• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
To people saying its dominated by Nintendo, it's more of a testament on how third parties got caught with pants down, not being able to capitalize on the Switch success.
I mean, I myself bought what third party software was available that interested me (XV2, Skyrim, Doom, etc. and tons of indies), but we can't buy what isn't there.
To be fair the top spots were all going to be Nintendo anyway. But yeah we could have more third-party content spread throughout the list if we had more options.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I get their reasoning as well to a degree, but even with the newer games alone they could have made a much better roster than bringing in all the Fates Royals. Like Felicia with Flame Shuriken, walking tank Effie old man Gunther or the elusive Scarlet. You know, off-beat choices.

I believe Nintendo/Koei underestimated the backlash against the characters. If I remember correctly the most positive response I saw was to the reveals of Lyn and Celica.

Oh and as you say: Xeno 2 deserves all the sales.
Yeah, the roster definitely had people going eeeh. I mean, they announced Marth as one of the first characters, but right after it was pretty much dominated by Fates, from Corrin/Ryoma/Xander/Camilla and all, then Chrom from Awakening. They just really piled on the Fates roster even though I think many people really didn't like the characters themselves. The biggest buzz definitely came when they announced Lyn.

But yeah, I don't like Corrin at all, from the design to the story itself. I always felt Nintendo forced that character onto the fanbase with the inclusion in Smash Bros even before Fates actually released, something they haven't done for any other character. The dragon form is a joke looking like a bad Pokemon character

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Really? I got the Special Edition the same day it came out (from a friend who import games, but that usually takes longer). Funny enough I was very busy so I only started playing yesterday.

Oh, I heard that the Special Edition arrived early but the normal physical version was going to take a few days so I decided to go digital thinking that was going to be enough.

(Of course it wasn't).

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
maybe xeno is just going to be one of those things. Shrug.

but screw all the comments about revamping the battle system or doing turn based like Ocotopath to a get a broader audience though. The base battle system is great. Play FF6 if people want that.
In the end, I place my personal enjoyment above a game sales.

Speaking of Octopath, when they were both announced in January, I thought they would be close in sales, but Octopath might edge it.
Now I think it won't even be close.
edit: The response to Octopath's demo is when things starting turning in my mind. Perfect shadow drop. All it needs is not a horrible release date.

Yeah I enjoyed XC2 a lot. I hope the nunbers are better than this list implies. I'm hype about Octopath. Demo was so fun.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Really happy to see Skyrim on there.

Its an excellent port and I'm enjoying it more than my first playthrough.

Disappointing to not see FIFA on there.. I do hope it at least cracked a profit for EA. The Switch deserves a proper FIFA game and 18 was a good start. Hoping 19 we see an upgraded engine and the rest of the features of the Ps4/X1 games.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Oh dear I have all of these. There's also a severe lack of SteamWorld Dig 2!

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the roster definitely had people going eeeh. I mean, they announced Marth as one of the first characters, but right after it was pretty much dominated by Fates, from Corrin/Ryoma/Xander/Camilla and all, then Chrom from Awakening. They just really piled on the Fates roster even though I think many people really didn't like the characters themselves. The biggest buzz definitely came when they announced Lyn.

But yeah, I don't like Corrin at all, from the design to the story itself. I always felt Nintendo forced that character onto the fanbase with the inclusion in Smash Bros even before Fates actually released, something they haven't done for any other character. The dragon form is a joke looking like a bad Pokemon character

Corrin's not my favourite Fire Emblem protagonist either, but they're a good fit for Fire Emblem Warriors. The way they use the dragon form in the game is actually really cool, and they're legitimately one of the most fun characters to play.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Justified. No matter the quality of the game itself, trying to coast by with the most boring character selection ever, clearly with a sequel in mind, it serves them right that a sequel is not such a surefire bet anymore.
Low-tier trolling detected.

Fire Emblem Warriors didn't shift away from the character selection method that other Warriors games based on licenses have used in the past. The original Dynasty Warriors: Gundam had a roster taken mostly from the first three TV series with scattered extras. A roster based mostly on Shadow Dragon, Awakening and Fates works out pretty well for the game. Not to mention that the basic, lukewarm take of your personal opinion on the roster being a justification for the game's sales is just asinine in general.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
By the way, I wonder if I am Setsuna sold decently? That game keeps coming back to the best sellers section whenever there's a sale.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I definitely was not enthused by the roster, especially the overabundance on Fates characters. I get why they did that because Fates sold the best, but I think in retrospect even though it sold well it's not exactly remembered fondly by many (especially when it comes to characters and story. Corrin is one of the worst protagonists from Nintendo)

I still don't understand why they couldn't just include Lords/royals from all mainline games. Even if it were just the main protagonists from those games, I don't think there'd have been as big a criticism/backlash. Makes it even more confusing given Nintendo were more than happy to fill up Heroes with characters from past releases. Sure it was a mobile game and the art-style meant it's likely easier to render/animate different character models in that game but Hyrule Warriors featured characters from a number of entries. I get the difference in popularity between Zelda & Fire Emblem but if you're going to do a musou based on a series with arguably the biggest roster of characters in a single IP (though I'm sure someone will correct me and say something like F-Zero or Animal Crossing technically beats it), why not go all-out? Awakening and Fates aren't bad FE entries by any stretch -- and I like/enjoy a select number of characters from both those games - but I got sick relatively early on with the bias for the newer games.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
You know, if Konami of all publishers has a succesful release on the system, that should be a head scratcher for some third parties right?

Right?

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
If this is indeed WW digital + physical chart. That means all the games in the list did more than 450k, since Xenoverse 2 sold over 450k ww and is not on the list.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Warriors suffered from being a Musou (not very popular) of a relatively niche strategy RPG series first and foremost. It was never going to do big numbers, and I don't get why people thought it would. Throwing in Ike and Roy probably would've given them a few thousand extra sales at best.

I knew Stardew Valley was going to do good, but I am beyond impressed by how it's done. Looks like people really do have a big farming itch deep down.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If this is indeed WW digital + physical chart. That means all the games in the list did more than 450k, since Xenoverse 2 sold over 450k ww and is not on the list.

It's almost certainly just data from the Americas. I can't get to my Switch now but someone else could probably take a screenshot, it says clearly at the bottom of this list that the data is "provided to Nintendo Account holders in the Americas."

Nintendo categorizes their worldwide shipments data released in their financial reports by Japan, the Americas, and Others, so it seems pretty likely to me that this is just that data for the Americas.

Ninman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexican e-shop account here, list is up, surprised no XV2 since is always at the top of the weekly charts.

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific NW
No FIFA or NBA2K. I hope they did well enough to get another chance come next year. Would also be down for Madden and NHL. Split joy con local multi sports titles have been my go to at work on lunch and breaks.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost certainly just data from the Americas. I can't get to my Switch now but someone else could probably take a screenshot, it says clearly at the bottom of this list that the data is "provided to Nintendo Account holders in the Americas."

Nintendo categorizes their worldwide shipments data released in their financial reports by Japan, the Americas, and Others, so it seems pretty likely to me that this is just that data for the Americas.
Yep this is the Americas only. It says it at the bottom.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why they couldn't just include Lords/royals from all mainline games. Even if it were just the main protagonists from those games, I don't think there'd have been as big a criticism/backlash. Makes it even more confusing given Nintendo were more than happy to fill up Heroes with characters from past releases.
Heroes and Warriors are two different games with different focuses. Heroes is a gacha game where part of the experience is the gacha collection element and the roster can be updated for as long as the game is live. Warriors is an action game where the roster has to be capped realistically at some point, and thus choices have to be made in terms of what games get represented and which characters from those games are included. FE Warriors has one of the largest casts of player characters of any Warriors game based on a third-party license at about 23 characters if I recall right (25, if you count the Robin and Corrin gender alts), so it's already being generous in that regard. This total also includes the two original characters and does not take into account any of the post-launch DLC.

If you take the royals/lords from each of the games, that's Marth, Alm, Celica, Sigurd, Seliph, Leif, Roy, Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, Eirika, Ephraim, Ike, Micaiah, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, and Corrin. That's eighteen characters, and of those, thirteen are sword users, two are lance users, one is an axe user, and two are mages. The roster of the actual game leans heavily on sword users, as well, but not by this ratio. Also, of the lords/royals listed here, the vast majority of them are foot units, and there are no flying units.

So how do you fill in the gaps, then? Let's say with 18 characters, there's room for five more for a total of twenty-three. So let's pick Caeda (flying lance) and Tiki (manakete), who are in the real roster. That's twenty. That leaves you with three more slots to divide between the entire series. Favorites are going to get left out whether you like it or not.

Focusing the roster primarily on three entries was the smart decision. It let them dig deep into each of the three games, as well as write a narrative that was more coherent for the fact that so many of the characters were already familiar with each other. (By contrast, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 has a mishmash roster and a story that is shoddy nonsense, at best, to the point that characters are only able to spout catchphrases in battle with minimal story value.)

Last edited:

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
That's a suprisingly good ranking for ARMS. Very strong showing for a new series on a new console.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I guess my prediction of rabbids out selling arms was spot on
Sad that steam world dig 2 didn't make it

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
No FIFA or NBA2K. I hope they did well enough to get another chance come next year. Would also be down for Madden and NHL. Split joy con local multi sports titles have been my go to at work on lunch and breaks.

I dont think its realistic to expect those to beat any of those games on Switch like they do on PS4 and Xbox one, most of those games are first party or using first party ip or came out early on Switch, or cheap eShop games. Skyrim is really the only exception on the list.

We need a 3rd party list with no digital only cheap games on the list, to really know where things rank for those AAA Switch 3rd party games or real numbers

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You forgot Capcom. And Ubisoft. And Konami. And Namco in the not distant future.
Capcom and Konami were only from launch games when there wasn't much else to buy as launch games are almost always inflated sales-wise (as I mentioned), and let's seriously not ignore that the single Ubi game on that list has Mario as front and center in name, advertisement, and gameplay.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nice. My switch library is indeed only the top 4 nintendo games + xenoblade 2.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Glad to see Mario Rabbids doing so well in the Americas. Such a good game. I imagine Ubisoft is pleased with the sales. Skyrim and Xenoblade being on the list is good since they are very recent releases.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh. If physical sales are included then Xenoblade fucking bombed lol. No spin around it anymore.

I mean it's been out for two weeks and the list is for the entire year. I'm not making a judgement call on whether it bombed or not, but its position on this list isn't going to tell you that.