• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
In other words Playstation consumers largely buy the same as Xbox consumers and the arguments on the forums about exclusives are usually generated by the hardcore audience.

PS4 has many exclusives that sold more than 10m units, do you really think they had no effect at all?
if there is a system with Call of Duty and The Last of Us, and another system with Call of Duty and Crackdown which one seems like a more logical purchase? those exclusives are helping PS to differentiate a lot.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
In other words Playstation consumers largely buy the same as Xbox consumers and the arguments on the forums about exclusives are usually generated by the hardcore audience.

Video games sell video game systems. For some reason a select bunch don't want to admit this. Stop with the hot takes.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What argument? That exclusives can push people to buy consoles? That's still true and a revenue based list from one country doesn't go against it.

In other words, this is a bad attempt at downplaying exclusives.

Prime example right here, one who constantly pushes exclusives over multiplat titles.

PS4 has many exclusives that sold more than 10m units, do you really think they had no effect at all?
if there is a system with Call of Duty and The Last of Us, and another system with Call of Duty and Crackdown which one seems like a more logical purchase? those exclusives are helping PS to differentiate a lot.

Of course they have an impact but not as much as Nintendo. I really think this is the reason why Xbox and Playstation fans always go at it, they are awfully similar in their tactics to try and split the market and why it's smart on Nintendo to really go their own route. It also explains why Sony has recently said they plan on going after AAA third party partnerships.

This is in no way to try and diminish Sony's 1st party titles, they have proven to not only get better over the years but Sony has also done a great job at marketing. What I am saying is price and third party support is more important but of course exclusives play a key role as well.

Look at Nintendo's top 10 and see for yourslef the stark differences. People buy their consoles mainly for their exclusives.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Amazingly I've never purchased a CoD game before or Rock Band/Guitar Hero.

R1fdEt3.gif

i too have never actually bought a cod/ Guitar hero / rock band or a rockstar game. I played them over at other people places or rented a game from these series couple of times but nah never bought them. not for me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

There are more casual console gamers than enthusiast ones, sure, but when PlayStation this gen alone already has five 10m+ selling games, that number potentially increasing by the end of the gen, it's abundantly clear that exclusives matter and are hugely sought after, by both the casual and hardcore market alike.

Prior to this gen, the only 10m+ selling exclusive Sony had in its history, was Gran Turismo 3, despite the actual install base being higher in the past, so clearly there's been a big change in how consumers value or invest in these titles. Hell, this gen even a new IP like Horizon Zero Dawn, is selling almost as well as the best selling Zelda game of all time. Just think about that for a moment.

Last edited:

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
There are more casual console gamers than enthusiast ones, sure, but when PlayStation this gen alone already has five 10m+ selling games, that number potentially increasing by the end of the gen, it's abundantly clear that exclusives matter and are hugely sought after, by both the casual and hardcore market alike.

Prior to this gen, the only 10m+ selling exclusive Sony had in its history, was Gran Turismo 3, despite the actual install base being higher in the past, so clearly there's been a big change in how consumers value or invest in these titles.

In addition to GT 3 original GT, GT 4 and GT 5 all shipped over 10 million units globally.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are more casual console gamers than enthusiast ones, sure, but when PlayStation this gen alone already has five 10m+ selling games, that number potentially increasing by the end of the gen, it's abundantly clear that exclusives matter and are hugely sought after, by both the casual and hardcore market alike. Prior to this gen, the only 10m+ selling exclusive Sony had was Gran Turismo 3, despite the actual install base being higher in the past, so clearly there's been a big change in how consumers value or invest in these titles.

Another prime exaple of one who pushes the narrative about exclusives more so than multiplat titles. Of course exclusives matter but again you keep showing that the hardcore gamer will focus more on thsoe exclusives than the Call of Duties and the FIFA's and the Grand Theft Autos because you want to differenciate what makes Playstation better to you. To most on the other hand they just want a decent library of games and good hardware and a good price. Casuals is what makes a system popular.

Sony did not make hge waves when they enetered the console business because of their 1st party. Plus Sony already had this generation locked up long before big hitters like Spiderman and Horizon came out.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they have an impact but not as much as Nintendo. I really think this is the reason why Xbox and Playstation fans always go at it, they are awfully similar in their tactics to try and split the market and why it's smart on Nintendo to really go their own route. It also explains why Sony has recently said they plan on going after AAA third party partnerships.

This is in no way to try and diminish Sony's 1st party titles, they have proven to not only get better over the years but Sony has also done a great job at marketing. What I am saying is price and third party support is more important but of course exclusives play a key role as well.

Look at Nintendo's top 10 and see for yourslef the stark differences. People buy their consoles mainly for their exclusives.

The PS3 outsold the 360 with a bigger price, worse 3rd party support and releasing a year late. There's way more factors to take into account and first party releases are apart of it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another prime exaple of one who pushes the narrative about exclusives more so than multiplat titles. Of course exclusives matter but again you keep showing that the hardcore gamer will focus more on thsoe exclusives than the Call of Duties and the FIFA's and the Grand Theft Autos because you want to differenciate what makes Playstation better to you. To most on the other hand they just want a decent library of games and good hardware and a good price. Casuals is what makes a system popular.

Sony did not make hge waves when they enetered the console business because of their 1st party. Plus Sony already had this generation locked up long before big hitters like Spiderman and Horizon came out.

This post misses the elephant for its tail. Nobody is arguing that multiplatform titles like GTA or COD don't sell more than exclusives (or more than any other multiplatform title for that matter), they are after all the best selling PlayStation games of all time, but when these games are available on multiplatform platforms, it's the exclusives that often matter and make arguably the biggest point of consideration or difference in console or software buying decisions for many gamers.

You can't just disregard the tens of millions of people who have bought PS exclusives, nor the fact that several PS exclusives still sold better than 99% of all multiplatform games released on the system.

Ultimately in terms of total global sales numbers (not just US like this list), some of the COD and Fifa titles actually have very similar sales to some PS exclusives. Hell, as of the last updates, Uncharted 4 globally has actually sold more on just the PS4 (over 17m copies), than Call of Duty Black Ops IIII (14.3m) and Infinite Warfare (13.6m) have on multiple platforms. Just think about how insane that is.

If it was only multiplatform games that mattered and little else, what would be prioritised most is which platform had the best versions of multiplatform games, and thus the PC versions of multiplatform games would be by far the best selling (when in reality it's the polar opposite), and the Xbox One X would be selling far better than it has been too, but of course, in reality other factors come in to play (price, exclusives, value proposition, friends, features etc).

Add to that, we on this forum are not predominantly made up of casual gamers, so of course we're not going to drone on about COD and Fifa the majority of the time.

Last edited:

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
I personally didn't buy the PS4 because of it exclusives, but because It's where my multiplatforms games will be "better". I have to scratch my head to count to 5 the numbers of PS4 exclusive I have. First game I bought with my PS4 was, take a guess.... GTA V...
Nothing surprising to me with those numbers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Here is the reality: Most people just buy the biggest games and those they're interested in.
Whether they're exclusive or not does not matter at all to them. If they want to play Uncharted and UC is only on Playstation, they buy a Playstation. If they can get Halo only on Xbox, they buy an Xbox. If they prefer, grow up with it, or know more about the Playstation brand, they buy a Playstation. Same for Xbox.

Console warrior and PCM memsters are not driving multi million sales. They just making up the majority of discussions.

A top 50 list looks vastly different and would provide a better picture. But if you're talking about the top selling games, yes.
Very similar.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS3 outsold the 360 with a bigger price, worse 3rd party support and releasing a year late. There's way more factors to take into account and first party releases are apart of it.
Of course, such as an affordable bluray player at the time, Japan's reluctance to support Xbox and Sony drastically cutting the price and revision models that eliminated backwards comparability to reduce costs. All of these factors made the PS3 one of the most costly adventures for them while losing major marketshate in North America.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Prime example right here, one who constantly pushes exclusives over multiplat titles.

Nintendo doesn't have COD or GTA V.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what studio is gonna release the game that combines Guitar Hero, Call of Duty, and GTA

also wonder on a $$ basis how Fortnite MTX, DOTA/LOL (pc i know) compares. Also interesting that neither Destiny is on the list nor is Minecraft.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Microsoft letting go of the COD marketing rights was one of their worst blunders this gen, TBH.
That PS4 Black Ops 2 bundle Did more to establish a Sony dominance in the US than any exclusive.

One has to applaud the excellent work from Sony commercial strategists this gen.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I noticed your subtle shift in argument from exclusives to 1st party. PlayStation had FF, Tekken, DQ, TR and many other exclusives. Exclusive games matter. GTA being exclusive to PS2 was huge. So yes exclusive games are important why do you think EGS is trying to lock so many up.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed your subtle shift in argument from exclusives to 1st party. PlayStation had FF, Tekken, DQ, TR and many other exclusives. Exclusive games matter. GTA being exclusive to PS2 was huge. So yes exclusive games are important why do you think EGS is trying to lock so many up.

Steam is dominant and Epic likely feels they can't compete and to be honest nobody would use the store otherwise. Consumers are not using the Epic Store for games found on Steam. Consumers will however use Playstation to buy multiplat titles even though they are on PC and Xbox.

You can argue they do this because they already own the system but people don't pre order Playstation 4 because it's launching with Knack. It's called momentum and the PS4 happened to be the best console when it came out. Price and performance played a key role. On the flip side the PS3 didn't come out of the gate as hot and it wasn't because the PS4 had better exclusives.

As I've mentioned, with Nintendo it's pretty clear. Their list of best sellers are dominated by exclusives. On the Playstation its mixed meaning exclusives matter but so do third party and in my opinion much more so. Which is why Nintendo is usually behind in overall sales.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Now I'm wondering how many copies Halo 3 sold in the US. I'm also more excited for the Infinite launch with Scarlett. That's gonna be some hype shit if it's fire.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I mean shit, I guess I cant blame Activision for milking COD, gotta give people what they want. I gotta wonder what will happen if COD took a year off.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
was it too hard to copy and paste the nintendo list?

here you go

1. Guitar Hero World Tour
2. Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock
3. Just Dance 2
4. Just Dance 3
5. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
6. Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
7. Rock Band
8. Just Dance 4
9. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
10. Rock Band 2

So Americans like to shoot things and rock.

and dance

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MP! There was a thread for the Nintendo list.

Steam is dominant and Epic likely feels they can't compete and to be honest nobody would use the store otherwise. Consumers are not using the Epic Store for games found on Steam. Consumers will however use Playstation to buy multiplat titles even though they are on PC and Xbox.

You can argue they do this because they already own the system but people don't pre order Playstation 4 because it's launching with Knack. It's called momentum and the PS4 happened to be the best console when it came out. Price and performance played a key role. On the flip side the PS3 didn't come out of the gate as hot and it wasn't because the PS4 had better exclusives.

As I've mentioned, with Nintendo it's pretty clear. Their list of best sellers are dominated by exclusives. On the Playstation its mixed meaning exclusives matter but so do third party and in my opinion much more so. Which is why Nintendo is usually behind in overall sales.

You keep switching your argument from exclusives to first parties. Your claim was that exclusives weren't important for PlayStation from the beginning when they clearly were and still are. Wouldn't people just be buying X1s more than PS4 since it has been cheaper most of the gen if exclusives have no effect. Also exclusives don't have to be out to effect sales. Just because GT isn't out at launch I'm comfortable buying a PS because I know it will launch eventually.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
LOL @ the people expecting a bunch of variety coming from the Nintendo list.

Nooooooooope. Like 3 franchises, and most shooters. And a music game.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
People surprised at Guitar Hero and Rock Band, remember that those games cost like $120-200 and this list is in gross dollars.

Also they were huge a decade ago.

Dec 23, 2017
This is so telling. Sad really. I wish Nintendo and Activision took this as a serious way to try and improve and bring the gamers on Nintendo consoles.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Rock and shoot? If I were a marketing manager for video games I'd start adding packs of smokes and a can of PBR.

Guarantee they'd start buying games like Nier if it came with smokes and beer.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MP! There was a thread for the Nintendo list.

You keep switching your argument from exclusives to first parties. Your claim was that exclusives weren't important for PlayStation from the beginning when they clearly were and still are. Wouldn't people just be buying X1s more than PS4 since it has been cheaper most of the gen if exclusives have no effect. Also exclusives don't have to be out to effect sales. Just because GT isn't out at launch I'm comfortable buying a PS because I know it will launch eventually.
Where did I say exclusives didn't matter? I said third party mattered more, that does not mean exclusives don't matter. And you just admitted exclusives aren't the most important thing to you either since you want the new system right away.

The retail price of the PS4 was pretty much the same most of this generation with the Xbox One but the worst part was the Xbox One started out $100 more and underpowered. Brand loyalty certainly helps but the mainstream look at price, decent library size and preformance value all in one. Once again you are just showing the hardcore side of things. One who rushes to buy a new system without even knowing the price or launch titles. You don't sound like the type who buys FIFA and Call of Duty every year and those are the ones who drive systems sales the most.